ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SYRACUSE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Perhaps but is that really a good option? I love the kid but that’ll be a pretty big reduction.
Can’t be much worse than what we saw tonight. I like Goldwire but I don’t think he’s a 30+ minute option at the point. I’d do 20 with Cam, 10 with Goldwire, and 10 with RJ. Let’s just hope Tre is okay and it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
If Tre isn’t okay we don’t do anything this year and definitely won’t do anything next year. Bc there is no point guard on the roster. But thanks to Jack and Alex. This game is on you. AWFUL.

Just be okay Tre.

Jack and Alex were being asked to carry way more of the load than they prepared for. This game is not on them. Losing your PG is like having a car with no engine. Losing your PG in the middle of a game after game planning and preparing as if he is going to be in the lineup is like a having a car with no engine and no road map to walk your way along your route.

Awful loss. No way we shouldn't have won that game. Missed at least 15 wide open 3's. Doesn't mean they didn't fight. Nothing went our way the second Tre left the court. This one hurts... Hopefully at least Cam is good for Virginia. And that they don't have their best game of the year against us like SU and FSU. It's deflating when all those contested shots go in.

Reactions: skysdad
That's a tough loss. And a loss at home against a team we should beat at that. Now with UVA coming up...it could be 2 losses in a row at home. The big picture is what about Tre? If he's okay, then the season is safe, but if not, we're in trouble.

OFC

I know I’ll be in the minority, but I’m okay with Jack to keep shooting. Nobody was moving on offense. The only thing they’re going to get are open outside shots. White, Alex and RJ are the only three that can hit outside shots. White will eventually hit one. Just might not be tonight.
White, 0-10 from the 3. That was a major reason we lost and O'Connell's bad passes.
I know I’ll be in the minority, but I’m okay with Jack to keep shooting. Nobody was moving on offense. The only thing they’re going to get are open outside shots. White, Alex and RJ are the only three that can hit outside shots. White will eventually hit one. Just might not be tonight.

Can’t be much worse than what we saw tonight. I like Goldwire but I don’t think he’s a 30+ minute option at the point. I’d do 20 with Cam, 10 with Goldwire, and 10 with RJ. Let’s just hope Tre is okay and it doesn’t matter.

I’m concerned with the way he took the hit to backside of the shoulder joint. Let’s hope for the best!

Reactions: FearTheBeard
To call it a garbage performance is just plain nonsense. The guys were out there fighting their asses off. Jack White had the worst shooting night of his career, it happens. But everyone on the court was giving it their all.

We have said countless times injury was our biggest concern, this is why. Add in a stomach bug and our razor thin bench went down to nothing. Syracuse is a very athletic team with big long guards that can attack downhill. We had way too many guys that simply couldn’t stay in front of them. Once they found a groove in the first half you could see their eyes lighting up with confidence. All of a sudden a few shots go in and you have a very live underdog.

We need Tre back, he’s he captain of our defense. He gets the offense started sideways and out of sorts. You know see what an offense can do against us when they are playing straight downhill.

Please please please be ok Tre, we are all thinking about you.

If Tre is out I think we get crushed on Sat...and it’s pretty good likelihood he will be out for awhile...

Not a lot we can say. Just not our night. We shot the ball horribly. They shot the ball very well. Two starters out. Main concern is Tre. Hope we don't dwell on this game and this game day thread is short lived. It's tough to swallow but to be able to stay in this game with the adversity we had to deal with still says a lot about this team. Good to see Alex have a good game. Feel for Jack. He has to feel horrible . I'm not gonna be his critic. OFC

Before we all jump off the ledge, this is the first time this team has been without Tre and Cam since Canada. Cam gives the team another ball handler and floor spacer which is helpful.

I don’t think this team will lose anymore than we already expected if Tre is out long term. UVA x2 was already going to be tough as was FSU and VT. Even UNC will play their absolute best against Duke. They passed FSU, so they’ll have to win a couple of the other tough ones and they will.

The team will have a lot of practices to work and learn without Tre. This may end up being a blessing in disguise because they’ll learn to play D without Tre. When he gets back, they’ll be better off for it.

9-43 from 3....its not just the percentage that is awful but execution....we were not prepared to play the 2-3 zone at all...no excuse for jacking up that many 3 balls. This is an all round poor effort despite losing a point guard. Did we even practice yesterday against the 2-3?

I saw the picture of Tre’s shoulder as he was walking off. Looked like a collarbone issue rather than a shoulder. Not good either way

Great effort by our guys… at least it wasn’t a 20 point beat down and we were missing two starters. Hopefully Tre’s injury won’t have him out too long. I’m letting this one go... y’all should do the same!

Again, we have a habit of using the word effort when we should be using skill. AOC is not a skilled defender, he physically can’t stay in front of a guy like Thomas or Battle. Jack White even struggled and he’s much stronger. Goldwire struggled. It’s not as if they weren’t trying, they are simply not equipped to handle that sort of guy. If we had known that we would be without Cam and then Tre, I’m sure we gameplan differently.

This loss is not an indictment of this team. Cam and Tre are out. The team can’t hit a shot. Zion and RJ were completely spent. And they played the one D we already knew would give us trouble.

Hard to be mad about what we already know.

9-43 from 3....its not just the percentage that is awful but execution....we were not prepared to play the 2-3 zone at all...no excuse for jacking up that many 3 balls. This is an all round poor effort despite losing a point guard. Did we even practice yesterday against the 2-3?

They probably practiced with their pg.

This loss is not an indictment of this team. Cam and Tre are out. The team can’t hit a shot. Zion and RJ were completely spent. And they played the one D we already knew would give us trouble.

Hard to be mad about what we already know.
They better work on facing a zone in practice because I suspect will see it more this year. Obviously Cuse’s zone is different because that’s all they play, but they need to communicate better and move around more.

Not a lot we can say. Just not our night. We shot the ball horribly. They shot the ball very well. Two starters out. Main concern is Tre. Hope we don't dwell on this game and this game day thread is short lived. It's tough to swallow but to be able to stay in this game with the adversity we had to deal with still says a lot about this team. Good to see Alex have a good game. Feel for Jack. He has to feel horrible . I'm not gonna be his critic. OFC
Alex did not really have a good game. Yeah he had some nice buckets. But he made some of the worst passes all game leading to easy scores

Geeze, I hope K takes another shot at the refs. They do not know how to officiate Williamson. Someone on this thread said Syracuse did everything but shank us in the lane. That is true. The funniest thing: The foul call that tied it up in regulation (was a foul, just not when they called it), was the cleanest play against Williamson by Cuse in the second half.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Everyone relax...we could of won...we lost mainly to making bad decisions down the stretch...

If our two guys are not out we most likely win going away....our bench guys logged to many minutes tonight....our rotations where a mess...Syracuse made everything on top of it all...

Main concern is Tre...if he ends up ok this loss won’t matter in the long run....if he’s not...we are going to lose a bunch of games....hope it’s not serious...pretty much all that matters now coming out of this game....this could be our season if it’s bad....

The guys played their a**es off. Everything was against us, and still had a chance to win. They left it out on the court. O’Connell is a work in progress, he and White struggled with Battle and Howard, but effort was there. Alex helped, scoring 16. Poor White was 0-10 and Barrett missed 22 shots, and we still took it to overtime. I’m proud of all the guys though.

If Tre is ok, I think we will be a better team, even in this loss.

Offensively I agree with a lot of this. We shot way too many 3’s in the second half. We didn’t get the ball into Zion nearly enough. Zion made a lot of good things happen when he caught the ball at the elbow. We went away from that during a crucial part of the second half and it put us in deep trouble. We also went away from it in overtime, likely due to fatigue. When you are an average at best shooting team you don’t fall into a habit of chucking 3’s. We did.

It’s all about perspective. Does anyone really see Duke losing to Syracuse had Cam played and had Tre not gotten injured in the 1st half, I know I don’t believe for a second Syracuse defeats a healthy Duke team. Duke was rolling with Tre healthy in the game.
Exactly! I think even if we just had Cam, we would have been in much better shape!

No reason for all the threes when Syracuse was in foul trouble in the first half and they didnt attack more.

Reactions: jwill133
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT