ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread Duke vs NC St round 3 ELITE EIGHT ADDITION

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
📺 CBS
⏰ 5:05
📍 Dallas

Rolling into a Sunday showdown is our beloved Duke blue devils ready to take on an unlikely foe the Nc state Wolfpack.. the ultimate rubber match with the final four on the line- Duke is currently a 6.5 point favorite but nothing feels safe with the roll state has been on.

I feel confident that the “right” Duke team shows up for this game but state is on such a crazy run you have to wonder if they are just a team of destiny.. hopefully not and they are super content with the run they have had. I think we have a big time win, get revenge, get Jon to final four number 1 AND show Duke players that staying around an extra year can be worth it!

Duke-82
Woofies- 60

I see, once again, the majority of the talking heads are going with State. That's fine. I expect a battle. But we're being disrespected and have been all tourney long. State has had a magical run. Good for them. But I think Jon will have us ready. Duke wins.

Last edited:
make it a track meet and make burns run. It’s evident he’s tired after the last game

First game we surprised them with a big game from Stewart. Second game they adjusted and we couldn't counter. Wonder what Jon will draw up today? Think we need a big game from Flip and get their bigs, specifically Diarra in foul trouble since he's a monster on the boards.

Don't expect much from Mitchell because I think they'll have Diarra on Flip and have Burns camp out in the middle since Mitchell has no outside game. Mitchell will also be too small to guard either Burns or Diarra.

Reactions: christophero
Today will be a great day regardless. It's Easter, and my oldest kid's 23rd birthday. She was born right around the time Duke's FF game against Maryland began.

In some order, the final score will include the digits 9, 7, 6, & 4.

In our 2 match-ups so far this season, the team w/ the better backcourt won & the team w/ the better frontcourt lost.

If Gordon Hayward's last second heave goes in in the 2010 championship, it's the greatest shot in the history of college basketball and the best Cinderella story ever. If. Was it Singler or Scheyer who said then, "Glad this isn't a fairy tale"? Today isn't a fairy tale, either. We write whatever kind of story it is on the court.

Last edited:
I feel good about this game. I think Jon will have a good game plan to slow down big boy Burns and company. I’m interested in seeing how much he doubles him and tempo.

Duke 78-67

Reactions: Neue Regel
Going to have to go back to the formula we used at State to win. State is playing with house money and will be fired up . Duke needs to play with a chip on their shoulder and come out swinging . Bench will be needed and Stewart and Young along with Mitchell will need to play smart . I’m going with Duke guys it’s going to be another dog fight .

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I feel oddly comfortable going into this game. Maybe it’s the fact that we already beat them at their place and the fact we lost to them in the second game playing very poorly. State has been on an incredible run. Somewhere Coach Valvano is smiling!

Avoid a slow start, and let’s take it to them. If our guards shoot well, we run away with this game. If not it will be a dog fight.

Duke 77
State 62

First game Burns got his and Duke won. What changed with round 2? Burns didn’t have a great game in their win vs us.

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke out-rebounded them in both previous games. Do it again.

Roach/Proctor/McCain shot a miserable 7-for-28 in the second game. Don't see that happening again.

Duke shot 8-for-14 on FTs the second game (Mitchell 0-4). 😥

Exactly Gaap. I don’t see those things happening again. We started poorly and lost our confidence early last game. With a trip to the FF on the line I am expecting Duke to play well and win.

I’m hoping for March Roach and some great D from Proctor again. Flip just needs to play how he’s been playing and not force anything. Keep the turnovers to a minimum and we might win with Pisgah’s score. I’m pumped for this one.

I expect us to come out focused and ready. I also know we will get the same from the Wolfpack. State will give us their best, and I know our best is better than theirs. If we can bring ours, we should be able to win. But I also thought the Golden Eagles would upend their run. So, who knows? Someone get on the phone and call Miss Cleo so we can find out the score.

First game Burns got his and Duke won. What changed with round 2? Burns didn’t have a great game in their win vs us.

One big change was that State hit better from three in the rematch. Duke pretty much kept everyone in check but Burns over in Raleigh. And that was clearly the strategy, let Burns get his and worry about everyone else.

Marquette was double teaming him at the dumbest times the other day. You don’t double him when he’s out near the perimeter. You’re leaving someone open for him to pass to.

Better the devil we know...no excuse to be caught off guard in this game...i think we've matured in the past few weeks...time for the Wolfpack's run to end. Need to play Young and Stewart on Burns...

NC State beat us 2 weeks ago, so they are capable of winning. But this is a different team, and I think we will handle business and move on. The season is already a success, but this is a golden opportunity which doesn't come around often. We have had some luck with the higher seeds losing, so we need to capitalize. Would like to see Mitchell get back on track. This could be Proctor and Flip's last game at Duke, and maybe McCain, who is shooting up draft boards. So let's give them another game. NC State is not a mid major they are ACC champs enough with the fairy tale stuff. Let's send them home.
Duke 80
NC State 72

Burns had 27 the first game and we beat them by 15. They shot 3-9 from three. We didn’t double. The next game we doubled, Burns had 10 , they went 7-16 from 3, and beat us by 5.

Flip has been playing really well and not forcing things. Jon seems to have taken a page out of the 2010 playbook by having the bigs kick out if they don't have a clear shot. Although Mitchell did not get the memo. We need a strong game from MM today. Great to see Jon have postseason success.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
State has six guys capable of scoring. Duke has to be locked in like they were against Houston. I hope we can jump out to a lead, making them play from behind.

I expect a tough game.

Forks & Wuffies should have been on opposite sides of the bracket so they can only play @ the final 2. Agree?
In retrospect, yes. But that would have assumed a lot more foresight than the committee is capable of. They did have the Rams and the Tiggers on the opposite side, so they deserve at least a little credit. I suspect Wuffies and Forks making it this far was considered a long shot.
OFC

Happy Easter to All of My Duke Sibilings, Please Have a Great Day and Evening Today!

Like some have alluded to on here, I hope Coach Scheyer and Staff chooses to play straight up man to man defense on State. Please do not double Burns and allow the others to light Duke up from 3 point land. Duke has played Excellent Defense this NCAA Tournament, Keep it Up Blue Devils. On Offense, whomever Burns is defending whether it be against Flip, Mitchell, Stewart, or Power, they need to attack Burns with their athleticism, and make the correct decisions to pass out to the open Blue Devils if a woofie comes over to help out Burns.

Defensively I hope Duke matches up this way:

Horne - Proctor/Blakes
Taylor/Morsell - McCain/Blakes/Power
O’Connell - Roach/Blakes
Diarra/Middlebrooks - Mitchell/Stewart/Power
Burns - Flip/Mitchell/Stewart/Young

If any of you are near The Dallas Area, please get to American Airlines Center and Go Support The Blue Devils if you are able to. Let’s Help Support Our Blue Devils and get The Young Men to Phoenix.

Let’s Go Duke!

Last edited:
Burns had 27 the first game and we beat them by 15. They shot 3-9 from three. We didn’t double. The next game we doubled, Burns had 10 , they went 7-16 from 3, and beat us by 5.
They only beat us because our offense was hot garbage had nothing to do with doubling burns .

I like Young a lot too. Obviously he's not the most skilled player, but if he gets beat it is never due to being dumb or loafing. He could probably have put up decent numbers at a small school but chose to be a role player at Duke. Plus he's a funny guy in his interviews. You don't want an entire team of Youngs, but you do want 1 or two of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT