ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Houston SWEET 16

Everybody in the country knows that this wasnt a real win for Duke. Hence why every article is saying that Shead's injury is the reason Duke barely won.

Kudos to Alabama, whose best three-point shooter was hurt last weekend and did not play against Carolina Thursday night while another starter for them walked around hobbled most of the game. Yet the Crimson Tide took care of business.

Congrats to Duke who is in the Elite 8 despite a starting guard being out for the season. You may or may not know about this because only Duke fans apparently do know about it. 🙄

what a horrible combination, wouldnt wish that on anybody...lol
You guessed wrong, but I was rooting for Houston to win. So what? Houston was arguably the best team heading into the NCAA Tournament to win it all. Duke got lucky, no way around it. But let me guess, you guys will support UCONN b/c Dan Hurley's brother played for Duke. Have I got this right? I have the utmost respect for Duke as an elite academic school, but can't say the same about its men's basketball program. I don't hate Duke basketball, I'm just not a fan. I don't like UNC either.

A Duke fan mocking Michigan football is both hilarious and disprectful. Here is the official fact: According to the NCAA, the Wolverines have titles in 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1933, 1948 and 1997. Michigan also claims titles in 1932 and 1947, the latter of which saw the Wolverines win the Rose Bowl as part of a 10-0 season. With 34-13 victory against Washington on January 8,2024, Michigan has been able to claim their first outright national championship since 1948, giving them 10 national titles.

I'm a proud Michigan fan and alum, who supports all Michigan sports. Anyway, Go NC State!!

Go Blue, Hail To The Victors, 12X National Champions in football.

You guessed wrong, but I was rooting for Houston to win. So what? Houston was arguably the best team heading into the NCAA Tournament to win it all. Duke got lucky, no way around it. But let me guess, you guys will support UCONN b/c Dan Hurley's brother played for Duke. Have I got this right? I have the utmost respect for Duke as an elite academic school, but can't say the same about its men's basketball program. I don't hate Duke basketball, I'm just not a fan. I don't like UNC either.

A Duke fan mocking Michigan football is both hilarious and disprectful. Here is the official fact: According to the NCAA, the Wolverines have titles in 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1918, 1923, 1933, 1948 and 1997. Michigan also claims titles in 1932 and 1947, the latter of which saw the Wolverines win the Rose Bowl as part of a 10-0 season. With 34-13 victory against Washington on January 8,2024, Michigan has been able to claim their first outright national championship since 1948, giving them 10 national titles.

I'm a proud Michigan fan and alum, who supports all Michigan sports. Anyway, Go NC State!!

Mythigan......

Reactions: The_Only_Blue

Wow, well there’s a whole lot in that post. Where do I begin? Duke and Michigan kind of have a little history there in basketball so I wouldn’t be expecting too much love coming from a Wolverine fan so that’s fine. At least you balance it with unc hate. I think it’s difficult to argue that Houston was the best team heading into the tournament with Connecticut being the defending champs and so dominant looking. Reality check for the Sampson’s of the world. You cannot wrestle and mug your way to a ring. (You reading this Ricky Barnes?) Offense needed! That bouncey ball has to go through that round metal thingy, apparently you get points on the board when that happens.

I don’t care if Coach K himself was coaching the Huskies, most Duke fans would be vehemently pulling for the Huskies to LOSE. Because like with Duke and Michigan, there’s also a lot of history there with Duke and Connecticut. It started in the 1990 elite eight when Jim Calhoun had his first great UConn team as the number one seed in that region. # 3 seed Duke defeated Connecticut on a last second shot to send the Devils to the Final Four. Duke defeated Connecticut again in the NCAA tournament a year later. Then in 1999 Calhoun upped the ante as the clear best two teams in college basketball played for the national title with Duke as a big favorite and UConn won. Then in the 2004 Final Four the Huskies came back in the last three minutes in the semi final to win by one point. Brutal defeats. The last time the two schools played was in November 2009 for the preseason NIT championship. Won by Duke, but who thought at that time that you were watching the next two national champions play?

The Huskies have prevented two Duke National Championships. And to be fair they’ve also prevented two Kentucky National Championships. And the maddening thing is when you look at familiar metrics of national champions over a certain time period which was in an article I saw not too long ago there are a consistent number of shared metrics that the National Champions had in a 15 year span such as good offenses/defenses, proven coaches, etc. there were only two teams in that group who were outliers in not having a lot of the common shared traits as the other champs. Those teams were two F UCONN teams in 2011 and 2014. So go figure, they obviously have made some kind of deal with Satan. (Lol)

Michigan has had a lot of great football success. Most of us are familiar with it and respect that.

Wow, well there’s a whole lot in that post. Where do I begin? Duke and Michigan kind of have a little history there in basketball so I wouldn’t be expecting too much love coming from a Wolverine fan so that’s fine. At least you balance it with unc hate. I think it’s difficult to argue that Houston was the best team heading into the tournament with Connecticut being the defending champs and so dominant looking. Reality check for the Sampson’s of the world. You cannot wrestle and mug your way to a ring. (You reading this Ricky Barnes?) Offense needed! That bouncey ball has to go through that round metal thingy, apparently you get points on the board when that happens.

I don’t care if Coach K himself was coaching the Huskies, most Duke fans would be vehemently pulling for the Huskies to LOSE. Because like with Duke and Michigan, there’s also a lot of history there with Duke and Connecticut. It started in the 1990 elite eight when Jim Calhoun had his first great UConn team as the number one seed in that region. # 3 seed Duke defeated Connecticut on a last second shot to send the Devils to the Final Four. Duke defeated Connecticut again in the NCAA tournament a year later. Then in 1999 Calhoun upped the ante as the clear best two teams in college basketball played for the national title with Duke as a big favorite and UConn won. Then in the 2004 Final Four the Huskies came back in the last three minutes in the semi final to win by one point. Brutal defeats. The last time the two schools played was in November 2009 for the preseason NIT championship. Won by Duke, but who thought at that time that you were watching the next two national champions play?

The Huskies have prevented two Duke National Championships. And to be fair they’ve also prevented two Kentucky National Championships. And the maddening thing is when you look at familiar metrics of national champions over a certain time period which was in an article I saw not too long ago there are a consistent number of shared metrics that the National Champions had in a 15 year span such as good offenses/defenses, proven coaches, etc. there were only two teams in that group who were outliers in not having a lot of the common shared traits as the other champs. Those teams were two F UCONN teams in 2011 and 2014. So go figure, they obviously have made some kind of deal with Satan. (Lol)

Michigan has had a lot of great football success. Most of us are familiar with it and respect that.
Small correction, the 2015 team also played, and beat UConn.

Small correction, the 2015 team also played, and beat UConn.

Good catch! I’ve actually totally forgot about that one. Maybe because nothing was on the line like an NCAA tournament or In-season tournament game but any time you beat them it’s a damn good win!

Reactions: Mac9192
BFD. Yale has 18 titles -- 1874, 1876-77, 1880-1884, 1886-1888, 1891-2, 1894, 1900, 1907, 1909, and 1927. Boola Boola!

Many of those BIG schools cling to those mythical titles in the early 1900s when their schedules had high school teams and local YMCAs. I guess when the greatest coach in your history (Bo Schembechler) never sniffed a title, you take anything....🤣🤣🤣

I don’t believe for one second these trolls are Houston or Michigan fans. It is likely they are all the same person. If you are trying to win a social media argument, just ignore them. They are here to rain on our parade. Go Duke.

Notice how they mentioned “other” Houston injuries during the game (aside from Shead) but no mention of starter Caleb Foster out for the season for Duke? That was almost 8 ppg 4+ assists and 3 boards? You don’t just magically get that back. It changes roles. But no mention, meanwhile we get HIPPA law violations practically when anyone else in the tournament has an injury.

Absolutely no one here cares what you think. Michigan basketball will never hold a candle to Duke. Dude bringing up football during March madness is sad.

No idea how you haven't been blocked at this point.

How about those probations and the cheating? Hardly a "clean" national championship...if your AD or the NCAA had any balls you'd have recused yourselves because you were an embarrassment to all things college football under Harbaugh....anyway..this is a Duke BB forum so I'll take a time out ( shout out to Chris Webber)

Michigan and your khaki pants coach also cheated, in the same season they won a title. Those wins should have been vacated. And you just fired your basketball coach. Your basketball program is a joke. And Jim flew out the door to the NFL because he knew the hammer was dropping from the NCAA. Enjoy probation and losing to OSU again.

Last edited:
Anyone else here tired of all the fawning over Uconn? I don't remember the last time all the guys on TV fawned over Duke lol.
Was never a fan of Uconn under Calhoun...but i begrudgingly like what Hurley has built...its a traditional basketball program vs some of what we see today at other programs..great guards, an inside presence on both ends, slashing players and lock down defense + depth.....reminds me of our teams of old...no coincidence his last name is Hurley

Michigan and your khaki pants coach also cheated, in the same season they won a title. Those wins should have been vacated. And you just fired your basketball coach. Your basketball program is a joke. And Jim flew out the door to the NFL because he knew the hammer was dropping from the NCAA. Enjoy probation and losing to OSU again.
As a PSU alumni, I approve of this message.

Was never a fan of Uconn under Calhoun...but i begrudgingly like what Hurley has built...its a traditional basketball program vs some of what we see today at other programs..great guards, an inside presence on both ends, slashing players and lock down defense + depth.....reminds me of our teams of old...no coincidence his last name is Hurley
I cannot in good conscience pull for UConn or Hurley. Honestly, I can't stand him. His comments about our program rubbed me the wrong way.

Y'all... there's a pretty significant difference between losing the Big 12 PoY DURING the game and losing an important role player long enough ago to have adjusted some.

Scoreboard. Let's just stick with that.

Get a leather helmet.

I can only imagine what the response would be if I went on RR and said this about Kentucky.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT