ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs State- ACC tourney

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
📍 DC
📺 ESPN
⏰ 7:00

Opening round for Duke facing a nothing to lose Nc state team that just dismantled a Syracuse team that was playing for a potential tourney bid.. Keatts is likely gone barring a miracle and to get that miracle they have to next beat us..

After handling them a little over a week ago I expect us to win and we are currently a 9.5 point favorite. I think state could make it more interesting though for longer this time

Duke-80
State-72

Reactions: christophero
Wouldn't be surprised if we lost; but I think we come out strong and shoot the lights out.
Duke 83
NC State 69
We do not want to go into the tourney on a 2 game losing streak, for seeding and confidence. Doubt we do.

Last edited:
3 of the 4 teams that played yesterday won today. I think it helps having at least a game in the arena because the players will get used to the backgrounds, sight lines, etc. We have to come out strong tomorrow and not give NC state any hope.

Just win

I'd be mad as hell, but not surprised if we lost. Wish I felt different, but I just keep waiting for what I keep hoping to see in Duke become a reality.
Yeah I agree with this. Never wanna lose but if it has to happen, hope it exposes a weakness that we can fix/concentrate on that helps us come tournament time. I’m thinking like VT did during that ACC championship game with the Banchero team and how we got exposed switching everything or whatever. Seems like we emphasized fixing that during the tourney run. If we just lose straight-up, would be pissed.

As Only Blue said, "come out strong". No or 21-8 deficits. State seems to be a team that plays well when ahead, but deflates when behind. Value the ball, take away the 3, bang with Burns, and for goodness sakes hit some shots!

This will be tougher than our next game if we win.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Need to start Sean or Ryan instead of Mark. Keep Flip out of foul trouble early by having 1 of those 2 guys guard that fat slob.

We cannot come out flat or we are in for a battle. State knows they will have the advantage inside with Burns and I expect them to try to exploit that. I do think his conditioning is suspect, so he will wear down. I agree Flip needs to stay out of foul trouble in the first half. If we cannot come out and take care of business by double digits today, I think we are in for a rough ride to finish out the year.

Still, I think we execute and play good D and win by 15.

Duke 81
NC St 66

Need to start Sean or Ryan instead of Mark. Keep Flip out of foul trouble early by having 1 of those 2 guys guard that fat slob.
This is an interesting take. State actually had a decent game plan the other week in Raleigh. They put Burns on Mitchell and the other big, Diarrhea? on Flip.

I recall that Scheyer had Mitchell moving a lot on offense to make Burns work a little and it paid off in the second half. Mitchell is ready for a break out game and I expect we will see the more active version of Mark tonight. At least I hope so. Duke does very well when Mitchell is playing well.

Let's hope we run his ass and his teammates out of the gym! I want to see us fight from the tip until the final horn sounds. Is that too much to ask? I think we've seen it at times this year. But this group has never peaked; we still finished 24-7 and 15-5. And we had a shit ton of injuries, like always. I do think we've improved from November to March. There's no denying that. But at this point, we are who we are. Let's hope we get the UVA game with Duke tonight, not the beginning of the Senior Night game with Duke.

I’m gonna say this . Duke doesn’t look like the better team at the moment . Flip has gotten on both Stewart and Mitchell.

Can only remember one game where we played well for the first 5 mins...our cold starts are a bad habit

Geeze. So much for coming out sharp. We better snap out of this funk or we are gonna get blown out. No energy.

running over your defender is apparently a foul on the defender....never understood that call

We look like crap on offense right now. If we aren’t careful we will be digging ourselves out of a double digit hole fairly shortly.

Reactions: sheyduke
Guess Duke peaked at Va Tech and Virginia.

this is the problem when you have no consistent inside presence on either end...

I’m not down on an individual player but the team as a whole with the exception of the last two minutes looks like we played on Tuesday .

I don’t think we win if Roach doesn’t wake up. He looks like he is afraid to shoot the ball.

This team never seems to fire on all cylinders...always one or two players on cold shooting nights it seems

I don’t know what Scheyer can say or do . NC State wants it more I think this team is looking forward to March .
I just don’t get this team no fire at all .

Disappointing half of basketball.
Very !! I don’t see any fire . Horne had his way and Flip is the only guy showing heart . I swear you’d think we have been playing since Tuesday and Scheyer needs to throw a damn chair in the locker room because not even Roach seems engaged .

Reactions: Mac9192
Flip was looking real good, then picked up his 2nd foul. I’ve always liked the effort Young gives, but he has to occasionally look to score. Serves no purpose if he either travels after 6 pump fakes or passes instead of taking a 3 footer. It’s also a challenge with him and Mitchell out there together.

Let’s get McCain and Flip going here in 2nd half, and maybe the others will follow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT