ADVERTISEMENT

ACC championship thread

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
📺 espn
⏰ 830
📍 DC

State vs Holes- Carolina is a 9.5 point favorite right now.. state with a win gets in and somehow saves their coaches job.. it would be so sweet if they got it done and robbed the holes of a banner.. although they might hang up a runner up one

State-77
Carolina-76
I’m going for it.. go woofies

State by 4, as their guards contain the Cheaters perimeter game. They allow Bacot, Washington points inside, but shutdown Davis and Cormac ("in search of the eternal tanning bed) Ryan.GTHCGTH!!

OFC

Like I said in the other thread. The lube is on the way from Raleigh right now and in lovely water soluble red.

So one of the key NCst players is hurt for the cheat game....of course....

Bacot shoves on most rebounds and gets away with it, Middlebrooks doesn’t hardly touch the guy and gets called for the foul.

Reactions: sheyduke
I was at the Duke game in Raleigh and this isn’t the State team I saw. How in the hell did NC State win this!?!!! And against their kryptonite no less! An absolute shocker, 5 wins in 5 days. One of the biggest shockers in ACC History! Holy Cow!! Congratulations to NC State fans: 2024 Atlantic Coast Conference Champions. I know it took a long time to get # 11 and it sucked seeing unc-chapel hill branch (18) and Duke (22) go past you in Titles. But this one will no doubt be a cherished memory forever and deservedly so! Sensational 🏆

Never underestimate desire...I love to see teams believe and achieve...so nothing but admiration for what NC state achieved in this years tournament! Chapeau!

Reactions: Neue Regel
Honest question, would you rather be us or NC State going into the tournament? We will be a better seed but they have momentum. I'd still rather be us.

Hated seeing us lose a few nights ago...

But if it could not be us; I am glad it was the Pack!

Big Michael O'Connell fan through mutual HS loyalties!!!...

Happy to see him get a crown in his lone year in Raleigh!

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Skimming through some of this final again. Just need to make sure I actually saw what happened lol. State was 100-1 odds to win this. Man! The ACC Tournament shows why it was once nicknamed the granddaddy of all conference tournaments.

This event over the years has given a bunch of teams new life. A lot of Duke teams! I think about the 1980 team, Bill Foster’s last season. Several talented players were still there from the 1978 final four. Gminski, Banks. Duke was actually ranked number one during that season for a few weeks and then injuries hit. Duke ended up the fifth seed and went on a run spanking Carolina by double digits in the semi’s before the dramatic last second win over Maryland in the final.

1988. Duke was on a three game losing streak when Carolina came to Cameron. Duke blew them out by 15, and beat them again a week later for the ACC championship and Duke went on to the Final Four.

2003. The JJ Redick game when State could almost taste it, up 15 and Duke storms back.

2005. After letting the lead slip away in Chapel Hill in a game that saw Carolina cut their own nets down. (Btw David Noel absolutely fouled Ewing that cause that turnover) Duke takes the title over Ga Tech.

2009. The experiment of putting Scheyer at point led to an ACC championship run and was the starting foundation for a national championship a year later.

2011. Duke’s 19th title. Horrible bad luck losing Kyrie Irving for the ACC season helped Carolina finish 1st. Singler and Smith got revenge with a blowout of the Heels and Harrison Barnes for the Championship.

2017. One of the more injury riddled Duke seasons I can ever remember for a very talented team. At one point 3 of the 4 freshmen were hurt along with experienced upperclassman Jefferson. Duke wins four games in four days to win the championship.

2019. Zion and that damn shoe blowout that led to a knee injury cost Duke a chance to finish first. No Zion for a bunch of games. He comes back for the ACC Tournament and the Heels could not stop him in the semi final.

2023, when John finally got his team healthy he became only the third first year ACC head coach to ever win the ACC championship. (Vic Bubas and Guthridge the other two)

“Tournament basketball is championship basketball” - Everett Case

Reading pack pride last night a little bit kind of hammered home how we as Duke fans take this stuff for granted. So many of their fans had never experienced this before, even though their program has won this event now 11 times. Others pointed out how they were in college in 1987 when they last experienced this and never thought they ever would again. One poster talked about sharing this with his father who is very sick.

No Doubt what NC State did is cemented in ACC lore forever.

Congrats to the 2024 Atlantic Coast Conference Champions - NC State Wolfpack! 🏆

Last edited:
I was thinking about this too. NC State is so excited to be in the tournament. Even in bad years, we almost always make the tournament. I guess it is about expectations. I have lowered mine; even for next year. I just want to win 2 games this year. That would make me feel better about things. And it will be interesting to see if players come back; although if rumors about team turmoil are true that is not promising.

Reactions: Neue Regel
One of those team of destiny things to. If any of you have not seen the shot that State had to hit against Virginia to send it to overtime. Please find the clip of it. It wasn’t just a banked in three it was like a high backboard banked in three that kind of muddled around the rim before it went through.

Skimming through some of this final again. Just need to make sure I actually saw what happened lol. State was 100-1 odds to win this. Man! The ACC Tournament shows why it was once nicknamed the granddaddy of all conference tournaments.

This event over the years has given a bunch of teams new life. A lot of Duke teams! I think about the 1980 team, Bill Foster’s last season. Several talented players were still there from the 1978 final four. Gminski, Banks. Duke was actually ranked number one during that season for a few weeks and then injuries hit. Duke ended up the fifth seed and went on a run spanking Carolina by double digits in the semi’s before the dramatic last second win over Maryland in the final.

1988. Duke was on a three game losing streak when Carolina came to Cameron. Duke blew them out by 15, and beat them again a week later for the ACC championship and Duke went on to the Final Four.

2003. The JJ Redick game when State could almost taste it, up 15 and Duke storms back.

2005. After letting the lead slip away in Chapel Hill in a game that saw Carolina cut their own nets down. (Btw David Noel absolutely fouled Ewing that cause that turnover) Duke takes the title over Ga Tech.

2009. The experiment of putting Scheyer at point lead to an ACC championship run and was the starting foundation for a national championship a year later.

2011. Duke’s 19th title. Horrible bad luck losing Kyrie Irving for the ACC season helped Carolina finish 1st. Singler and Smith got revenge with a blowout of the Heels and Harrison Barnes for the Championship.

2017. One of the more injury riddled Duke seasons I can ever remember for a very talented team. At one point 3 of the 4 freshmen were hurt along with experienced upperclassman Jefferson. Duke wins four games in four days to win the championship.

2019. Zion and that damn shoe blowout that led to a knee injury cost Duke a chance to finish first. No Zion for a bunch of games. He comes back for the ACC Tournament and the Heels could not stop him in the semi final.

2023, when John finally got his team healthy he became only the third first year ACC head coach to ever win the ACC championship. (Vic Bubas and Guthridge the other two)

“Tournament basketball is championship basketball” - Everett Case

Reading pack pride last night a little bit kind of hammered home how we as Duke fans take this stuff for granted. So many of their fans had never experienced this before, even though their program has won this event now 11 times. Others pointed out how they were in college in 1987 when they last experienced this and never thought they ever would again. One poster talked about sharing this with his father who is very sick.

No Doubt what NC State did is cemented in ACC lore forever.

Congrats to the 2024 Atlantic Coast Conference Champions - NC State Wolfpack! 🏆
Great post and read! Thanks for writing all that..

I was thinking last night.. Duke has won 14 of these in my lifetime (born in 90) and state hadn’t won a single one since 3 years before that. I can’t imagine what that kind of fan hood feels like

Great post and read! Thanks for writing all that..

I was thinking last night.. Duke has won 14 of these in my lifetime (born in 90) and state hadn’t won a single one since 3 years before that. I can’t imagine what that kind of fan hood feels like

Appreciate it pisgah. Those numbers are really eye-opening with the 14 in that time frame. And don’t forget Duke was on the cats whisker of winning it in 2004. I believe they had about an eight point lead on Maryland down the stretch in the final and the Terps stormed back and sent it to overtime and beat Duke. That would have been Duke’s sixth consecutive ACC tournament championship had they won. That was a painful one to lose. And they lost it in similar fashion the way they lost the UConn game at the final four having a late lead, but couldn’t close.

One of the more gracious gestures I’ve ever seen from Gary Williams was after that 2004 ACC Final as he pointed to Duke’s five in a row coming into that game and he said what a great achievement that was, and that he felt that it deserved to be recognized/talked about more than it had. Was really surprising from Gary.

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT