ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs State- ACC tourney

Actually, this is only partly true. Scheyer did try to get some transfers at the center spot. There was the kid transferring from Kansas, the word was he was high on Duke but couldn't get accepted because admissions doesn't take online credits.

So, while Scheyer does "handpick" the players, admissions did keep at least one transfer in.
Ernest udeh sucks. He wouldn’t have helped this team at all. Instead of going after top proven talent like he went after stars. Should’ve gone after bandaogo he would’ve really helped this Duke squad.

Somewhat agree that a coach shouldnt have to fire up competitive players BUT that seems to be necessary on occasions...like yesterday...and at tip off for this team it seems. JS is a young coach and still hasnt proved anything. Not sure he was the right guy yet...as this isnt a program that lends itself to on the job training since every team wants to beat us badly! His bench development has been poor..Stewart should be a consistent rotation by now, and Power should be getting more time and be effective. Neither has been given enough time to feel comfortable..so throwing a minute here and there to them doesnt do the team or the player any good. After the last NCst game Stewart proved to be effective on the defensive end at the rim....he sat yesterday.....thats a coaching mistak

I respectively disagree. As my wife astutely noted, a team tends to pick up the identity of its coach. Danny Hurley and UConn is Exhibit A. Is he a brash guy? Yes, by his own admission. But he’s as tough as nails, and his team reflects that. Lots of swagger, lots of confidence, and when he puts the whip to the horse, they respond. No one gets to just punch the clock and go through the motions. Which is pretty much the opposite of what we’ve seen this year. As dukecorey noted, several times we’ve come up flat against teams that we recently easily beat. And we coasted against Hofstra and Southern Indiana when we should have had our walk-ons in the game with 10 minutes remaining. I think Jon’s a superb recruiter (pretty obvious), and by all accounts is one heck of a good guy, but we need him to demand 100% effort from everyone or they sit, regardless of recruiting rating or OAD status. Anyone remember K having players’ names taken off their locker doors, or starting walk-ons Patrick Davidson, Patrick Johnson and Reggie Love in place of Daniel Ewing, Sean Dockery and Shavlik Randolph against Wake after we had 2 bad losses? Time for some of that stuff, if it’s not too late.
This is spot on. The bench is the greatest motivator there is. K was a master motivator and leader. I think he could coach any sport and any team that’s just how good he was. Was he right all the time, probably not but his teams fought and competed. Jon has to be himself but the lack of competing from our guys is concerning.
Hopefully he can push the right buttons this week and win a couple games going forward

Watching the Big East Tournament and Duke would have a hard time in that conference with the team they have now. You talk about effort and toughness and tough coaches! Wow

All the talk about K doing this and that is what a lot of what Jon learned. I always thought K had a short leash with most of his bench players and didn’t play them in blow outs as early as I thought he should.
Jon does need to go off at certain times. It doesn’t have to be a lot, it’s more meaningful when it’s just a few times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT