ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread Duke vs NC St round 3 ELITE EIGHT ADDITION

Ryan Young did not have more of a regular impact than Mark. Mark wasn't great this year but he gave us a better shot of winning on the court as opposed to Young.
We needed Young every game in some capacity. The problem with both players is that their roles increased. This goes for Flip as well as. No one on our team made the next step outside of Roach. Roach played hurt.

Mitchell was a top 30 recruit, Young was a grad transfer from Northwestern. They both did have positive impact for the team, but the gap between the two isn’t as big as it should be.

That’s actually sad.
It is "sad" Mac. I wonder if Mark's downward spiral worsened when Stewart's PT picked up?? Competition can make or break a kid...

OFC

I love mitchell but he absolutely obliterates our spacing on offense. Our guards couldn't get going or find driving lanes because he clogged the paint.

Flip being able to space the floor from the 5 was a shame we didn't have any options at the 4 who could do the same.
Flip could not play the 5 against good teams. He is a natural 4. OFC

Reactions: christophero
Mitchell was a top 30 recruit, Young was a grad transfer from Northwestern. They both did have positive impact for the team, but the gap between the two isn’t as big as it should be.

That’s actually sad.

We get recruits like that all the time (Thomas, Jefferson, James). They are highly rated because they have length and athleticism to dominate at the high school level.

But they can't shoot and have no polished basketball talent. The only hope for a kid like Mitchell is to turn into Lance Thomas and play lights out D and rebound. He has to get way, way, way stronger (he gets pushed around inside and can't rebound), and be smarter and use his quickness. But I thought Mitchell didn't play smart. And all that needs to be in a bench rotation.

I think the ratings systems are terrible. So many times a kid ranked 20th to 30th flounders at Duke for 4 years or transfers and then multiple kids ranked 60-70-80 develop as they a basketball skill.

He can't be a 3 because he has no outside offensive game. He's not going to become a confident volume 3 shooter even if he hits 1-2 a game early in the season.

Duke doesn't really recruit enough athletes who can shoot. They get shooters who can't play because they lack quickness and defense and their ability to get a shot off; or they they get athletic players who are not shooters (other than McCain). You really need 2-3 catch and shoot players and a big inside presence.

But ultimately this team was not structured well. No true 5. No real 3 who could score. And even with Roach he was not a passing PG who could create. We had no creators other than McCain. And you can't rely on dribble and shoot 3s. They have a much lower %.

We get recruits like that all the time (Thomas, Jefferson, James). They are highly rated because they have length and athleticism to dominate at the high school level.

But they can't shoot and have no polished basketball talent. The only hope for a kid like Mitchell is to turn into Lance Thomas and play lights out D and rebound. He has to get way, way, way stronger (he gets pushed around inside and can't rebound), and be smarter and use his quickness. But I thought Mitchell didn't play smart. And all that needs to be in a bench rotation.

I think the ratings systems are terrible. So many times a kid ranked 20th to 30th flounders at Duke for 4 years or transfers and then multiple kids ranked 60-70-80 develop as they a basketball skill.

He can't be a 3 because he has no outside offensive game. He's not going to become a confident volume 3 shooter even if he hits 1-2 a game early in the season.

Duke doesn't really recruit enough athletes who can shoot. They get shooters who can't play because they lack quickness and defense and their ability to get a shot off; or they they get athletic players who are not shooters (other than McCain). You really need 2-3 catch and shoot players and a big inside presence.

But ultimately this team was not structured well. No true 5. No real 3 who could score. And even with Roach he was not a passing PG who could create. We had no creators other than McCain. And you can't rely on dribble and shoot 3s. They have a much lower %.
Think this team wasn't constructed well because we recruited our current freshman based on Flip Mitchell and Proctor leaving their freshman year. If they did leave, I have no doubt that we would have gotten a big in the portal, have Stewart playing the 4, maybe TJ or a transfer at the 3, then McCain and Foster as the guards. I have confidence that we'll get it worked out. Whether that will get us a championship or not, time will tell.

Think this team wasn't constructed well because we recruited our current freshman based on Flip Mitchell and Proctor leaving their freshman year. If they did leave, I have no doubt that we would have gotten a big in the portal, have Stewart playing the 4, maybe TJ or a transfer at the 3, then McCain and Foster as the guards. I have confidence that we'll get it worked out. Whether that will get us a championship or not, time will tell.
I would throw Roach’s name in there. Not knocking him, but Jon felt obligated to play him? In turn, we played a 3 guard lineup. Some suffered due to that.

Unfortunately, it’s all hindsight now.

Mitchell also had trouble catching and holding onto the ball
That may or may not be something he can improve
But it would make a difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT