ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs NC St

Scheyer with a masterclass on coaching in this game. Excellent roster management, didn’t really take the bait on doubling Burns, ran great stuff on offense, kept Stewart in over Mitchell in the 2nd half which ended up being the right move. That was awesome.
Agreed 100%

Reactions: Friction.
The job Proctor (with lots of help from the other guards) on Horne was unbelievable. Here's a guy who traditionally would torch Duke for about 30 and he couldn't get a shot off! Proctor made him disappear!

Proctor was the 40 minute man and made them all count.

If Duke gets that Stewart consistently from here on out…watch out!
The interesting thing about this was with Stewart in and playing well, you were able to have Flip at the PF spot. This was a game where Mitchell wasn't playing well, so with the emergence of Stewart, Mitchell was not needed as much.

This is definitely something that Duke lacked earlier and it seemed if Mitchell or Flip were having off games, Duke was looking at a potential loss.

If Stewart can just give 10-15 minutes of defense and rebounding, it can take the pressure off Flip from having to bang down low all night.

Feels to me like Jon has been trying to develop Stewart and Power in the last 5 games. We are a real juggernaut against anyone if those two can play meaningful minutes. I kinda feel like, out of necessity, Flip has been missing the opportunity to shine at the 4. Stewart gives him that opportunity There’s lots of basketball left and some tough opponents ahead but I do like the way this team is developing.

The most impressive part of the game to me is that Duke had to grit out the first half with foul trouble and shots not falling. They took care of the ball, out hustled, and out rebounded state to keep the game close until flip could play in the second half. If they can limit turnovers, they can beat anyone. If they start getting careless with he ball, they can get beat by anyone.

My question is, if Foster didn’t get hurt, are we seeing the development of Stewart and Power at the rate we are now? I would say no. There are articles out there where Jon says he was “forced” to adjust. One of those is we have gone bigger with a combination of stewart, power, flip or Mitchell and young on the floor the same time. That was rare before the injury. Sure we saw it a few times but it was rare.

I never advocate for injuries, i never say a team is better talent wise after an injury but what i will say is a team can play better after injury because it may force the coach to go outside his/her comfort zone and usually that results in growth.

Just my bullshit .02

^ I comprehend what you are saying Blu and I agree. Kudos to Stewart and Power for staying ready and making the most of their opportunities while continuing to gain the coaching staff’s trust.

I remember during the summer and pre season some of us were very excited about the depth and versatility the 12 scholarship players brought to this season’s team (Schutt & Reeves being in this group before their injuries), now we are seeing the depth and versatility on display.

Great job by the coaching staff on not panicking and adjusting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke Blu
@Duke Blu, I said something similar to a Duke fan today. It has been like Jon was trying to play all four guards a good bit to keep happy? but it can’t work with this team.

We need the extra muscle down low, and I feel Stewart has been slowly improving, but last night his confidence seemed even higher, and he played well. Power did too, even though he’s a little further behind. He falls into the Young category, he doesn’t need a ton of minutes, which makes it easier for Jon to coach.

It’s nothing against Foster, but I think it was hurting Proctor mentally too. He played very loose last night. Now hopefully he’ll continue moving forward, and play like he did last season.

This is my hot take: I’m not sure we would have seen the Proctor we saw last night (which was like the end of last season) had Foster not been injured.

With the emergence of Stewart, I wonder how we're gonna guard the Cheats Saturday? Bacot I believe is too experienced down low with his moves and would get Stewart in foul trouble quick. Do we go with the more experienced Young first? Do we do something similar to what we did with NC state? Don't double against Bacot and let him do his thing and don't let any of the shooters go off? Do we only double with whoever is guarding Cadeau since he's not a good outside shooter? We can't afford to have Flip in foul trouble early.

Reactions: Duke Blu
I think if Foster doesn’t get injured it mainly effects Power, Stewart was starting to become a regular part of the rotation recently.

Right now Duke has a legitimate 9 guys who can play (Blakes being the 9th man), if/when Foster returns they become 10 deep.

No more injuries please!

With the emergence of Stewart, I wonder how we're gonna guard the Cheats Saturday? Bacot I believe is too experienced down low with his moves and would get Stewart in foul trouble quick. Do we go with the more experienced Young first? Do we do something similar to what we did with NC state? Don't double against Bacot and let him do his thing and don't let any of the shooters go off? Do we only double with whoever is guarding Cadeau since he's not a good outside shooter? We can't afford to have Flip in foul trouble early.
I also wouldn’t double Bacot, if he scores 30, so be it. Hopefully there’s some turnovers and missed free throws mixed in. Don’t give up open threes to Ingram and Ryan, and don’t let Davis get going.

I have more confidence in this team / John Scheyer than any team I have from the start. I am not convinced talent wise. But grit, they got it.

Reactions: christophero
I just expect Bacott to have a big game Saturday as one of the oldest players on the floor. I think it's critical that Flip stays out of foul trouble. We need his presence on the floor on offense. I think we have length to bother Davis, I don't expect him to go off. Let him shoot 5-14 again. I worry about someone else having a career game like Ingram did in the first matchup.

But, I like our chances Saturday, especially if our guards play loose. I look for Roach to have a big game.

Alan I think your last point is the key. These teams are evenly matched. We need to play loose. At times in the rivalry we have seemed tight at home for whatever reason and they seem to be playing with house money. I think you can get too up/hyperfocused for a game and that can cause you to play tight. Play within ourselves, play our game and I think we win. Treat it like a super bowl and we may not. I think we continue our winning streak. This team is experienced and knows how to win.

We can throw out however these teams have played the last four games and whoever won the first game .

It’s Duke UNC . I remember beating them by like twenty K’s last season the first game and then they beat us K’s last game at Cameron .

I really just want the fouls in the first to be called and Duke actually end up at the free throw line .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT