ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs State- ACC tourney

WWDHD....What would Danny Hurley do with this talent? He's very fiesty....has a game plan and rotates his players...I dont think John is there yet...but he has to show more if he is the long term guy. His record as coach is mostly due to the talent we bring in vs having an actual style or plan.

Reactions: mbdfan
If Mitchell leaves early it’s everything wrong with college sports these days. None of this team is deserving of being first round draft picks. McCain had a good stretch but his game is a dime a dozen in the nba. This kids need to stay and truly develop. Maybe just maybe NIL will help us with this. The borderline guys always have seemed to leave in the past and you never hear of them again.
I am sure I will get flack for saying this. But I wouldn't be upset if none of this year's guys come back outside of Power and Stewart.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Coach Scheyer need to meet with the school president and admissions about being able to get transfers into Duke that can actually play! They will never win anything meaningful playing against 5th & 6th year seniors that’s 24-25 years old playing against 18-19 year old players! Want happen NEVER! This team hasn’t won one game all year against a top tier team! No toughness and it starts at the top!!

Need less paper tigers and more junkyard dogs...we seem to not be up for the fight these days when it matters

That’s the thing though. You don’t really get junkyard dogs as freshmen which scheyer doesn’t get. Winslow was an anomaly. He had the right idea when he started… he said something like “ I want to make the team older” but literally isn’t building towards that goal. As good as cooper Flagg is, he’s going to get eaten alive against these bigger guys. What a depressing day; really didn’t see us losing tonight

Coach Scheyer need to meet with the school president and admissions about being able to get transfers into Duke that can actually play! They will never win anything meaningful playing against 5th & 6th year seniors that’s 24-25 years old playing against 18-19 year old players! Want happen NEVER! This team hasn’t won one game all year against a top tier team! No toughness and it starts at the top!!
It’s not Duke admissions, it’s scheyer. He chooses the team he’s made. Every guy has been hand picked

I think playing like this after getting smashed at home on senior night by UNC says a lot about Scheyer.

Just my opinion….These new generation coaches man…..I don’t much care for them.

Reactions: mbdfan
One team came to win the game tonight. The other came to play some basketball. Really weak effort. Our guard play was poor. Roach has disappeared the last two games. Poor execution and no energy whatsoever. This team was not ready for UNC and they were not ready for this game. Seems like they are sleepwalking.

I’ll root for Duke in the tourney as hard as ever but my expectations are very low right now. That sucked.

We did go into lasr years tourney on a roll and flamed out. Maybe this year is different but who knows. What a difference a week makes. Maybe we will get a good draw. Who knows. This team is playing like they have checked out I don't get it.
That is very wishful thinking, this team has not shown anything to say for certain they will win one game in the tournament. Duke with be a 4 seed and lose to a tough 13 seed. Duke has no momentum going and no confidence. Coach Scheyer doesn’t know how to get the train back on the tracks. I feel like the season is soon to end. Very disappointing year with all those players back and preseason hype. All for not

That’s the thing though. You don’t really get junkyard dogs as freshmen which scheyer doesn’t get. Winslow was an anomaly. He had the right idea when he started… he said something like “ I want to make the team older” but literally isn’t building towards that goal. As good as cooper Flagg is, he’s going to get eaten alive against these bigger guys. What a depressing day; really didn’t see us losing tonight
Transfers....thats where you find them....ones that can play...Iike the ones who ate us alive in the rivalry games...have to be willing to bring them in....and PLAY them, even at the expense of your 5 star freshman

Reactions: mbdfan and ioliva
COVID and the NIL made NCAA basketball come back, but it also will make schools look twice at recruitment.

Getting the top recruit is great for Headlines, but that DOG is a different player.

That is very wishful thinking, this team has no shown anything to say for certain they will win one game in the tournament. Duke with be a 4 seed and lose to a tough 13 seed. Duke has no momentum going and no confidence. Coach Scheyer doesn’t know how to get the train back on the tracks. I feel like the season is soon to end. Very disappointing year with all those players back and preseason hype. All for not
Losing to a 13 seed would be a devastating loss for the program. Have you watched McNeese State? Dude, they are really good and as of right now, they damn well might beat us if we matchup with them.

Being a dog requires mental toughness…..Some come in with it but most have to develop it.

It’s developed by being disciplined….We have seen lack of discipline on this team all the way back to losing because Mark pointed at somebody.

It was rearing its head then…..

Discipline starts or stops with what is allowed to happen by coaches……

Reactions: jamsession2
I’m going to leave on this . If you are truly happy with the last two games as a true Duke fan then you need to really ask yourself ,” am I ok with the top recruiting class like Kentucky or does their need to be a resemblance of Duke basketball on the floor ?” Have not lost a first round game since 96 and tonight we looked like we were playing since Tuesday .

I said last week….

The portal has changed everything….I would get away from High School kids and recruit in the portal.

Older, wiser, more developed, stronger, more experienced and tougher.

You have a year or more of actual game tape IN College much better than High School game tape.

When a generational talent comes along….hell yeah go for them. Otherwise got to recruit different.

I’m going to leave on this . If you are truly happy with the last two games as a true Duke fan then you need to really ask yourself ,” am I ok with the top recruiting class like Kentucky or does their need to be a resemblance of Duke basketball on the floor ?” Have not lost a first round game since 96 and tonight we looked like we were playing since Tuesday .
That Hurts! DAMN

Reactions: ioliva
Transfers....thats where you find them....ones that can play...Iike the ones who ate us alive in the rivalry games...have to be willing to bring them in....and PLAY them, even at the expense of your 5 star freshman
I know but that’s the problem. He’s dug a hole with an 8 freshman class. It’ll be at least another year until he can attempt to bring in transfers.
Being a dog requires mental toughness…..Some come in with it but most have to develop it.

It’s developed by being disciplined….We have seen lack of discipline on this team all the way back to losing because Mark pointed at somebody.

It was rearing its head then…..

Discipline starts or stops with what is allowed to happen by coaches……
Exactly. But it can’t be developed with high turnover. Which is how scheyer building his teams

Reactions: jamsession2
I know but that’s the problem. He’s dug a hole with an 8 freshman class. It’ll be at least another year until he can attempt to bring in transfers.

Exactly. But it can’t be developed with high turnover. Which is how scheyer building his teams
Honesty

I said last week….

The portal has changed everything….I would get away from High School kids and recruit in the portal.

Older, wiser, more developed, stronger, more experienced and tougher.

You have a year or more of actual game tape IN College much better than High School game tape.

When a generational talent comes along….hell yeah go for them. Otherwise got to recruit different.
I do not envy college coaches.

Not sure this team wanted any part of facing NC again.
What's worse - losing to a 10 seed or dropping 3 straight to NC?

The tar holes last season were one of the most pathetic, overhyped team in history. This season isn’t that, but it’s not far behind.

We’ve become the Dallas Cowboys of basketball. “Wait til next year!”

Losing to a 13 seed would be a devastating loss for the program. Have you watched McNeese State? Dude, they are really good and as of right now, they damn well might beat us if we matchup with them.
I literally told my dad that if we play Mcneese, our season would over. I really like Jon, but I feel like the culture is not where it should be. If anyone can tell me how many times any player not named Young or Blake's dived on the floor, I would be surprised. Meanwhile Cadeau is diving for loose balls and getting his knees torn up. I see another 2nd round loss to a team that is licking their chops and knows that they will dominate 2nd chance points.

There’s no way this Duke team can look this unprepared, and play with such little energy the last two games unless there’s some major friction in the locker room.

Reactions: KDSTONE
From the post game presser:
"For us, its about the competitive fire you need to have in the post-season. We didnt have that collectively today. We have to get back to work and figure this out" - Coach Scheyer

I'm sorry but thats on you JS...you've had the entire season to develop that mindset. Too late to try to find it now.

Team just does have it. It’s been that way all season. We all keep waiting for this team to turn it on. Not going to happen

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT