ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SYRACUSE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

We are about to enter a very frustrating period. We all know how guarded K is when it comes to injuries. We are going to crave information and specificity and we will be given very little. Might as well get ready for it.

We will just have to wait and see. Hope and pray for the best. There's nothing else as fans that we can do. Whatever the situation is we still have the best Coach in the business and he will make the best adjustments possible. Injuries can happen to any team or player. Tre was hustling and so was the Syracuse player. I hate saying this but there are certain fans out there that are happy this happened to Tre for the only reason is that he plays for Duke. They are in the minority. I certainly hope that no Duke fan feel this way about opposing players and if so as a Duke fan I would be ashamed to call you a fellow fan. I know for sure that fans from other fan bases have posted that they hope Duke players would be hurt and even worse for Coach K. How sick is that. No matter how long it takes for Tre to get back we still have a good of chance as winning it all. He will be back and there's not a team in the ACC or the country that wants to deal with this Duke team in the dance. OFC

Cuse took advantage of our adversity.

I’d rather have the bumps in the road now than at the end of the season as long as we’re healthy heading into the NCAA Tournament, I’m good.
Problem with that is that bumps affect seeding

Playing elite D vs the PGs we have seen this year is one thing. We'll see if he's as effective vs Westbrook, Kyrie, John Wall, or James Harden. Battle is an NBA SG, and a run of the mill one at that. None of the FSU guards will play big minutes in the pros. The best PG we've faced so far, from an NBA POV, is the kid from Gonzaga, and he's not a starter. Hagen from UK could be, but he's years away from developing the skills necessary to be a quality starting PG.
Tre is an elite college PG, and a top tier defensive PG. Vs college players. The NBA pgs are a little better.

No, you also said he wouldn’t be elite once ACC play started. If you make big opinions you better be right or admit when you are wrong. Just part of having big opinions.

Problem with that is that bumps affect seeding

Depends, if Duke holds its own, until Tre comes back, and then comes out like gang busters, the adversity Duke faces with him out is looked in a different light... Unless it is 2013 (Still pissed we did not get a 1 and given the benefit of the doubt with Kelly out).

Reactions: Quavarius
We still have 3 of the top 5 talents in America. I'm not worried. We may lose to UVA, but they will figure it out without Tre. We're not AS good, sure. But if guys step up, like they are capable of (AOC, Goldwire), we can still dominate games on the back of Zion, RJ, and hopefully Cam.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehokie
I’m all about shooting out of a slump..... But white needed to pass on some looks tonight. Zion has gotta touch the ball eveeytine before we SETTLE for a 3 that’s ALWAYS available

Surprised K didn’t take a TO that last mess of a play, it was clear we were rattled.

We can beat UVA without Tre. I assume cam will be a go. We will see some inspired ball sat.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
I guess that nobody is giving Syracuse any credit.17 pt dog in a hostile environment with their confidence shaken. They were down 12-0 and it looked like they were going to get run out the gym. Then they got their shit together. Even with Jones on the floor.

Injuries happen. That's part of the game. It's how you adjust with your personnel that counts. Sure, losing Tre had a huge impact on the game. Give SU some love for not packing up their tent and making a game out of it.

Last edited:
We won’t beat UVA without Tre, hell wasnt confident we would win with him. How the hell you wake up thinking about this sh!t!!?? Ughhh

I guess that nobody is giving Syracuse any credit. They were down 12-0 and it looked like they were going to get run out the gym. Then they got their shit together. Even with Jones on the floor.

Injuries happen. That's part of the game. It's how you adjust with your personnel that counts. Sure, losing Tre had a huge impact on the game. Give SU some love for not packing up their tent and making a game out of it.
No thanks, come again

I guess that nobody is giving Syracuse any credit.17 pt dog in a hostile environment with their confidence shaken. They were down 12-0 and it looked like they were going to get run out the gym. Then they got their shit together. Even with Jones on the floor.

Haha congrats but no you won because one thing happened and you know it. Don’t overinflate it

because they don't deserve a bit. You were already lucky Cam was out, then Howard decides he's gonna truck and hurt Tre, because his team was getting skull-f***ed early. Can't wait to crush you in the Dome.

Playing elite D vs the PGs we have seen this year is one thing. We'll see if he's as effective vs Westbrook, Kyrie, John Wall, or James Harden. Battle is an NBA SG, and a run of the mill one at that. None of the FSU guards will play big minutes in the pros. The best PG we've faced so far, from an NBA POV, is the kid from Gonzaga, and he's not a starter. Hagen from UK could be, but he's years away from developing the skills necessary to be a quality starting PG.
Tre is an elite college PG, and a top tier defensive PG. Vs college players. The NBA pgs are a little better.
Weak sauce. Shifting the goalposts. At what point has the logical context for discussing Tre's D ever been with regard to how well he would currently fare against seasoned NBA All-Stars?

Reactions: QC Dukie
I give Syracuse a ton of credit they played a heck of a game. Without making shot after shot all game we are praising our own team once again for how they handled adversity. But that is how these wonderful sports work, it’s all about the final score. Those shots brick our players are heroes once again. Those shots go in our effort was awful, we suck, we’ll never beat anyone without Tre.

Buuuuut you are traveling over to a road team board after a game in which we lost arguably our most important player for an unknown period of time. That player had turned you over 4 times in 4 minutes. And you hadn’t gotten anything together you had made 1 shot in those same 4 minutes. Don’t apologize for winning but asking for praise given all of the circumstances.....Prolly not going to happen. You did play a heck of a game and I hope we are healthy at the end of February because I would love another shot. And knowing our roster they will want one too.

That's absolutely correct. Not here. See if any of us visits your board w/o expressing that. Don't come to a Duke board for the first time ever and expect that. Under these circumstances, you're basically trolling to even ask.

Technically he has been here posting on an ACC scorers thread.

Syracuse won. They do deserve that credit and winning the game is a bigger win for them than it is a loss for Duke. But @Hammertime57, don’t fault Duke fans for feeling that losing Tre is a bigger loss than losing the game. Because it is.

I know we are everybody's super bowl,it's amazing how good everyone shoots when they play Duke.Raining three's all over the place.Alex showed some good stuff tonight,that's promising,Jack going 0-9,that's not..I'm not concerned with this loss,it's no big deal as long as Tre's injury only keeps him out for a game or two..Saturday's gonna be a tough one,I have Duke in my 5 spot in the D.I.challenge,I'm not changing it,we need to play our best game of the season,it's gonna be ok guys

What concerned me other than Tre's injury last night was our shot selection and lack of zone sets. It looked as if our guys had never seen a zone and everything became scramble ball. At no point did the staff tell RJ to stop hoisting threes and run triangle zone offense? Pass to short corner/low wing then RJ/Zion triangle thru lane looking for feeds. Zion did great job last night but RJ just camped out on perimeter. Jack camped out as well and not once cheated in on weakside for short jumper, nope lets hoist threes!

What concerned me other than Tre's injury last night was our shot selection and lack of zone sets. It looked as if our guys had never seen a zone and everything became scramble ball. At no point did the staff tell RJ to stop hoisting threes and run triangle zone offense? Pass to short corner/low wing then RJ/Zion triangle thru lane looking for feeds. Zion did great job last night but RJ just camped out on perimeter. Jack camped out as well and not once cheated in on weakside for short jumper, nope lets hoist threes!

Not having Cam was huge, especially with losing Tre. You’re right, the team had some awful stretches of not making strides to get to the interior, however I bet Cam gets a look at 10-15 of those three point shots last night if he’s playing, which means Jack takes less and RJ takes less.

Not mention how tired RJ and Zion were by the 5 minute mark off the second half (RJ just came off of a 40 minute night). I mentioned it before, his was more an example what happens when someone isn’t there versus what this team really can do with all the pieces.

Give it to about the first week of February to pass judgement on where this season is headed. They’ll have plenty of practice/game mix by then to work out who they are to become. If it’s a good trend, I’ll be happy. If it isn’t, then c’est la vie.

Also, is Sean McDonough one of the worst announcers? You can feel his anti-Dukeness coming through the TV. You could hear his Syracuse homerism

Last edited:
Everyone was playing out of position at some point during the game, that’s just how it goes when you lose your best shooter just before tip and your floor general just after. RJ had to play point for most of the game, which took away his ability to penetrate.

In a normal situation you have Tre at the top, Cam on a wing, RJ on the other, Zion at the elbow and Ques/Javin running baseline. However you can rotate Zion and RJ to keep the other team guessing as RJ can hit down that elbow jumper or attack as well. We lost all of our options last night and had no choice but to play people extended minutes that aren’t used to playing extended minutes. Add to that the type of guards that Syracuse has and it was an awful matchup, awful.

A lot of people will call us sour or salty for pointing out the injuries, claiming we still have the first and second pick. True but that is the least relevant factor as they contribute whether Cam and Tre are in or out. The relevant factor is who gets those minutes that are now available. Trading Cam for AOC and Tre for Goldwire is huge, it just is. Cam’s height and athletic ability likely gives Battle/Thomas fits. We all saw what Tre would have done. That game changes on a dime with those players out and the timing of it all prevents us from having a back up plan. I’m sorry we don’t have enough time in the day during ACC season to scheme for potential injuries and what we’ll do in all of those situations.

I like all the positive comments but in my eyes we just lost the most important part of this machine. Tre locks it down on defense. He really slows opposing possessions. But most of all, he just has that knack for getting the ball where it has to be, we don’t have a replacement for that. Sure we’ll adjust, but it won’t put us where we were. As for hammertime, are ****ing serious? 2 key players out and you’re over here looking for kudos? Gtfoh. Worst position for us to lose at the worst time of the regular season . I was so pumped to beat uva . I don’t even care about last nights game loss, it’s losing Tre that hurts, and it hurts bad. I’m bummed as hell. Praying he can return sooner than later.

Reactions: skysdad and Dattier
Technically he has been here posting on an ACC scorers thread.

Syracuse won. They do deserve that credit and winning the game is a bigger win for them than it is a loss for Duke. But @Hammertime57, don’t fault Duke fans for feeling that losing Tre is a bigger loss than losing the game. Because it is.
Ah. Thanks for clarifying. I stand corrected.

Reactions: dukehokie

I don't see any other reason for you to post this other that agitate our board. OFC

Reactions: Dattier

The stakes where being pulled from the ground until Tre got hurt. SU was well on the way to a long night and you are right about the injury thing. If Duke had of some how wonderful this game and they almost did you would never had made this post. That's why you are getting so much flack. The best thing you can do for everyone including yourself is just stay away. OFC

Dude go away......far away
You know and so does everyone else watching that your asses we’re about to get blown out of Cameron. Take two of your top four players out and see what the result would be against a team like, oh I don’t know, maybe a Georgia Tech? Oh wait, bad choice. Tech beat you at full strength. Move along little fellow. The annual bubble team.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukefanKY

hmmmm, it was 12-2 when Jones got hurt...yall played great and took advantage of a situation.....congrats:rolleyes:

hmmmm, it was 12-2 when Jones got hurt...yall played great and took advantage of a situation.....congrats:rolleyes:

Right! Just say “hey we took advantage of your adversity!” Duke may have won by 25 if Jones doesn’t get injured. Hopefully, we have our full roster in the rematch later this season.

I am hearing it from a UNC fan of all people today. You just got dump trucked, at home, at full strength. STFU.

The fan probably don't realize that though. A lot of unc cheater u fans I know don't even know when they win or lose. They only know we lost because another heel fan told them that. Ask your co-worker if they know their heels got stomped . OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT