ADVERTISEMENT

Official games day thread- Duke vs Vermont- NCAA tournament

Lololololololol I wish wiscy proved me wrong

We’re gonna have a battle Sunday. This isn’t a true 12 seed
That's alot of lol's in one quote. You've really turned into quite the JMU fan. It's a second round matchup, no one will be easy.

I still think we can play JMU well. This team isn't a slow half court team like we have been playing as. I hope it gets us out running where I think we can be better.

Last edited:
Upset bug avoided, but to get that deep into an NCAA tournament game with minimal scoring output from both Kyle and Jeremy is scary. And then Jeremy turned it on there late for the stretch run and hit his average. Thought Proctor was really good tonight even though he had some misses. Mark was really key early. No idea what to expect in the next one but it will take a better offensive night from Kyle to win it. (He did do other things well like rebounding, passing and some nice defensive plays) Jon was very stingy with his bench tonight.

Last edited:
If we can’t beat James Madison we deserve to go home. Go duke

Agreed. The Blue Devils need to have the mentality of “The Hunter” as opposed of being “The Hunted” on Sunday, because James Madison will bring the fight, Duke has to surpass JMU’s motivation.

Duke HAS TO BE STRONG with the basketball the whole game.

Reactions: Duke Blu and ioliva
I’m not knocking kentucky because we could easily get beaten by 12 seeded James Madison. I’d rather have played Wisconsin.
Wasn't a loss in the first round. I'll always take an opportunity to "knock" Kentucky. It's the second round of the tournament- anyone can lose to anyone so not exactly a wild take to say we could lose to JMU.

Some would have prefer Wisconsin, some JMU so it's all matter of opinion. I would rather JMU.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
I’m hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst. I’m certainly glad we avoided the upset, but we still look chaotic out there. Very mechanical in our offensive sets in particular. I don’t know if it’s a general attitude thing, or that not playing our bench is taking its toll, but they just seem to be going through the motions, and that’s been the case over the last few weeks. As a frequent critic of Flip, though, I give him credit for making good decisions last night and not trying to force things when he was getting ganged up on. Glad to see McCain shouted him out for that as well.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
BTW, did anyone see Jay Wright’s comments yesterday? Basically said that, with the transfer portal and NIL, the days of taking freshmen-dominated teams far in this tourney are over. Hurley said the same thing in an interview. Words worth keeping in mind when we start our predictions about next year.

Reactions: Mac9192
Why exactly wouldn’t I watch? Because it’s going to be an extremely tough game?

What a stupid comment….

Then don’t watch. I’m always more worried about the first game. We can beat them handily if we play good the first 5 minutes.
Why wouldn’t I watch? Because it’s going to be a tough game?

What a stupid comment.

You all that think JMU is going to be easy….got another thing coming.

BTW, did anyone see Jay Wright’s comments yesterday? Basically said that, with the transfer portal and NIL, the days of taking freshmen-dominated teams far in this tourney are over. Hurley said the same thing in an interview. Words worth keeping in mind when we start our predictions about next year.
He was right but the Covid rule going away will help. Not more 5th year bs

I don’t think Jay touched on anything that we didn’t really already know. I think OAD peaked in 2015 when Duke won the National Championship and Kentucky had that great 38-1 FF squad. Kentucky had won it in 2012 and both teams had just the right mix of some experienced returnees and bad ass freshmen. Cal was red hot his first five seasons (2019/10 to 2014/15) as was Duke with 2 NCAA Titles in this span.

Duke has been really good, not great since then. Two tough close hard fought Elite 8 losses in 2018 and 2019. But then back to the Final Four in 2022 for Coach K’s swan song. ACC Championships in 2017, 2019 and 2023. A lot of injury problems for a bunch of these teams post-2015. The only crap year was 2021 and that situation involved many strange variables. The “no fans in the stands” season which had Coach K really in full on sour puss mode all year. And when he chose to cancel a bunch of December games, which would’ve been wins for Duke, he kind of self sabotaged that team. And that Jalen Johnson just decided to hang it up and prep for his pro career. Weird outlier of a season that one was for Duke. (2020/2021)

In that span, we’ve seen so many teams win the title or advance deep with experienced players. I mean unc-chapel hill branch just keeps guys every year and that’s why they had two trips to the title game in 2016 and 2017. Virginia kept that core group with Kyle Guy and won a title in 2019. For Duke and Kentucky it’s brand new rosters every year with both having the occasional bit of luck in having a returnee stay like Wendell Moore and Jeremy Roach for Duke.

The free Covid year and having these older players around has altered the dynamic along with the portal and NIL. Watching the Auburn game last night someone mentioned some player being 24 years old and I just laughed. 🤷🏻‍♂️ (really, I laughed) because in the old days you would not see players around that old unless they had redshirted/transferred. Think Matt Christensen who did a two year mission overseas.

For programs like Duke and Kentucky the first and second rounds used to be afterthoughts. No more. They’re all tough now for most teams. So I think when you talk about next year‘s prospects, for Duke its less about who’s coming in and more about who will come back. All that we know and can be confident in right now is that Duke should be really good next year. (As they are most years)

Last edited:
He was right but the Covid rule going away will help. Not more 5th year bs

Yeah, that has been ridiculous. Enough of these 24 and 25-year-old players.. The NCAA is so stupid, I understand these guys did not get a postseason in 2020, but you know what? they still got a full regular season. As the old saying goes shit happens, the Covid thing was totally an unpredictable situation and I don’t think you rock the apple cart by just letting everybody have a free year and transfer everywhere they want with no penalty. I mean, look at the BS this week! the NCAA allows the portal deep dive to occur before their own golden goose even happens?!!?? (NCAA Tournament) hell there’s a player going into the portal from NC State’s team and they’re still playing!

It’s just ABSURD at stuff the NCAA allows. The word “portal” should not even be allowed to be mentioned until the college basketball season is over. There have been a number of prominent voices this week speaking out about the whole timing of this portal nonsense like Dick Vitale.

I just don’t get the NCAA and their decision-making and they have no clue as to the ripple effect these bad decisions lead to. They’re idiots!

Last edited:
Imo the game against Vermont last night was a good preparation game for what Duke is going to face tomorrow night. Vermont and James Madison are assembled the same with being upperclassmen led experienced teams. Duke started the game strong last night, they must do the same tomorrow night. By starting the game strong, I mean Duke did not dig themselves in a hole to start the game, The
Blue Devils took the fight to Vermont.

Why wouldn’t I watch? Because it’s going to be a tough game?

What a stupid comment.

You all that think JMU is going to be easy….got another thing coming.
I was just responding to your stupid comment. Hell every game is fun, especially if you’re playing. If we win by 20 or 1 it will still be a fun game

Reactions: JimboSlice00
I’m really unsure on a preference for Duke to play in Wisconsin versus JMU. I’ve always felt that those battle tested teams from the power leagues are the ones you want to avoid. Think SC in 2017, TN in 2023. But the game has changed and I think JMU was also underseeded. They have a great record obviously. The only thing I can say right now with 100% certainty is Kyle Filipowski has to be big tomorrow. He has to play a great game. If he can take the performance from last night with his rebounding, passing and blocking shots and add 17-20 points to it tomorrow that would be a big freakin deal for Duke. And Jon is going to have to loosen up the reigns on that bench more because JMU has a lot of players.

I’m glad we won, and surprised they covered. We still look uncomfortable on offense. Some of y’all may have been impressed with Mitchell last night, but thank God he’s 6-9 and can dunk. If he played somewhere else, we wouldn’t want him. Maybe he will play well tomorrow. It will help Flip if he does.
We are more worried about James Madison due to how confident we are in Duke, than them being good.

77 good point, and Charles Barkley also echoed your statement. Haven't seen this all year. OFC
I’ve read a lot of posters saying no one is
being a voice on the court.

I saw multiple Blue Devils last night talking during their team huddles. They were also getting on one another when one of them would make a mistake. I don’t know how much more vocal they can get. The Blue Devils are doing it by committee.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I’m really unsure on a preference for Duke to play in Wisconsin versus JMU. I’ve always felt that those battle tested teams from the power leagues are the ones you want to avoid. Think SC in 2017, TN in 2023. But the game has changed and I think JMU was also underseeded. They have a great record obviously. The only thing I can say right now with 100% certainty is Kyle Filipowski has to be big tomorrow. He has to play a great game. If he can take the performance from last night with his rebounding, passing and blocking shots and add 17-20 points to it tomorrow that would be a big freakin deal for Duke. And Jon is going to have to loosen up the reigns on that bench more because JMU has a lot of players.

Agree with this. Hope Scheyer utilizes Stewart, Blakes, Young, and Power this game in spurts to keep the starters fresh and out of foul trouble!

This game seems like one all 4 of the bench players can thrive in if they give the same effort and performance they did in Raleigh against the Wolfpack.

I’ve read a lot of posters saying no one is
being a voice on the court.

I saw multiple Blue Devils last night talking during their team huddles. They were also getting on one another when one of them would make a mistake. I don’t know how much more vocal they can get. The Blue Devils are doing it by committee.
Meh. I don't mean to be a pessimist, but it's one thing to have it for Vermont. We'll see moving forward if it continues. I don't think this vital PLAYER(S) leadership intangible has been evident (AT LEAST CONSISTENTLY), all season long.

On the flip side(no pun intended),I was encouraged by a note from Blue Devil writer Matt Giles post game. He sat behind our bench last nite and said Duke coach Jon Scheyer displayed excellent leadership skills.

OFC

Last edited:
It wasn't a perfect game, but it was improvement. Mitchell played well, and Roach was key down the stretch. McCain and Proctor were solid. Flip dominated the boards. I was happy to see Blakes out there. I did not like his turnovers, but his D was excellent. I'm a little surprised Blakes was a top 100 PG when he struggles dribbling the ball. I guess he was able to out physical most guards in high school. I was glad he got some minutes as we will need him Sunday and hopefully next weekend. I feel good about tomorrow, but am well aware they are capable of sending us home. Play our game and we advance. The announcers were saying we don't have one clear leader, which I agree with.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I don’t think there is anything wrong with having Leaders By Committee.

2010: Scheyer was the point guard, but can anyone say objectively he was more of a leader than Smith, Singler, Thomas, or Zoubek, that season? It seems like all 5 of them led in their own way throughout that tournament run.

2015: Cook and Jefferson were the Captains, but Tyus was a Leader on that team.

Just because multiple players fill The Leadership Role doesn’t make any of them any less of A Leader.

Teams have to Stay Disciplined for 4 straight games to make it to the Final 4, 6 to win the whole thing in a tournament which features 36 deserving teams who earned their bid throughout the regular season and 32 conference champions.

Nothing is a Given, Everything is Earned in The NCAA Men’s Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT