ADVERTISEMENT

Official games day thread- Duke vs Vermont- NCAA tournament

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
⏰ 7:10
📍 Brooklyn
📺 CBS

Duke opens this years tournament as a 12.5 point favorite over the 28-6 Vermont catamounts. The only like opponent I see is VT in which Vermont lost by 22.

Vermont is coached by John Becker in his 13th year as the head coach. He has made the tournament 6 times and has had a 20
Win seasons 12 times.

Vermont and coach Becker are an impressive team on paper BUT they do only rank 104 on kenpom and have failed to beat anyone of note.
It is the tourney and anything came happen so…

Duke-84
Vermont-60

You would think Duke could come out this evening and take care of business pretty easily. But ending ACC play the way we did I think has many of us on edge a bit. Vermont is deep and old. That could pose a problem. I think we will know in the first 5 minutes what we are in for tonight. Still, I have confidence that we will show up and take this one, pulling away in the end. Our guards need to be good tonight!

Duke 77
Vermont 59

It's crazy how other teams can flip the switch, and play really well, so I refuse to believe we can't do it too. We will find out if the team meeting did any good. If it's below single digits, I won't be hopeful going forward.

Need to come out like Zags did....PO'd and with a chip on our shoulder...leave no doubt...however, that hasnt been our MO...more likely to let Vermont get a lead and then wake up..hopefully....

Just win. There is no way we should lose this game. We could, but we shouldn't. Of course, Kentucky shouldn't have lost to Oakland. Roach being healthy is key; if he is healthy and driving well we are good. If he's still gimpy after a week I don't see us surviving the weekend unless Proctor and McCain play great. Us and foot injuries.
Duke 85
Vermont 61

Last edited:
Interesting to see if we overcompensate, come out too amped, and end up falling behind anyway.

Curious to see if this team took the past couple Ls to heart. Gonna get to see if there’s any fight left in us or not. Think there is, and we roll, 83-60.

The region has opened up a little with a talented 3 seed losing. Hope the guys took firm note of that and will come out and play loose and sharp.

Just watched Ryan Young interviewing the guys in the locker room yesterday. The guys appeared relaxed and seemed to enjoy themselves. Roach seemed a bit irritated and kept trying to walk away from Ryan which was interesting. Maybe he was just focused on the game. Best answer was Proctor, when asked to name a borough of New York said "Joe." Blakes seemed dialed in to his schoolwork.

Just watched Ryan Young interviewing the guys in the locker room yesterday. The guys appeared relaxed and seemed to enjoy themselves. Roach seemed a bit irritated and kept trying to walk away from Ryan which was interesting. Maybe he was just focused on the game. Best answer was Proctor, when asked to name a borough of New York said "Joe." Blakes seemed dialed in to his schoolwork.
TJ Power cracked me up with his keys to the game "We have to score more points than them"

Reactions: christophero
0 for Vermont looks energized and ready to play. He’s gonna be physical on flip

Flips looked pretty good so far even though he started kinda flat. Crazy how he hasn’t been able to take advantage of his size yet.

Mitchell pounding it inside and needs to continue.

Just keep feeding Mitchell let him go for 30 .

I think this will be close. Unless we start hitting a bunch of 3s as well as inside damage. Anymore, there just is not a big difference from a 3 seed to a 14 seed.

The fouls they’re starting to call on our guards are insane . How did Blake’s foul there?

To be fair, we’ve done that all year in many games. Immaturity. That’s second foul by Proctor was just dumb.
I know it’s happened all year but it’s no excuse. Vermont has played terrible this first half and we’re barely up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT