ADVERTISEMENT

Official gameday thread- Duke vs UNC v2

Hope Mitchell and Power stay. Former 5 stars could make serious money in the portal. Plus we need experience next year. I was hoping Blakes might return but that seems doubtful if he hardly plays with Foster out. He is either injured or Jon doesn't see him as an asset.

Last edited:
Roach has been my favorite player this year. I was surprised by his late mistakes vs Wake and then UNC when we had a chance to tie or go ahead. I’m hoping we finally put it all together this week and heading into the NCAA TOURNAMENT.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
I'm with you dukie, Roach has been such a stalwart player for us, and I love his tenacity! However he has certainly underperformed a couple times this year in games where we needed him most. He still has time to make his final mark at Duke.

I would love to have Mitchell back next year. IMHO he oozes potential, and he has had a couple games where he showed it. He could be a monster impact player next year. I think Power stays. He's had some opportunities recently, he's played hard and made a couple shots to get a taste of what playing Duke basketball all about.

I'm with you dukie, Roach has been such a stalwart player for us, and I love his tenacity! However he has certainly underperformed a couple times this year in games where we needed him most. He still has time to make his final mark at Duke.

I would love to have Mitchell back next year. IMHO he oozes potential, and he has had a couple games where he showed it. He could be a monster impact player next year. I think Power stays. He's had some opportunities recently, he's played hard and made a couple shots to get a taste of what playing Duke basketball all about.
Roach should've done better on Saturday, but there is a strong possibility he has reached his ceiling.

As for Mitchell, I do not know if a great deal of improvement will happen in this system? Mitchell returning is great for experience and the locker room, however, he may hinder the growth of Stewart. If Mitchell was 6'10 or 6'11, he will be welcomed back with open arms. I do not know if he is a necessity for Duke in the 24/25 season.

Fair points jamsession.

Regarding Roach Saturday, I think he just tried to do too much on his own, multiple times driving right into a triple team at the rim.

Mitchell is a known entity if he comes back. Having a bunch of 5 stars coming next year is amazing. But we have been bitten in the past with underperforming top recruits who needed a little more time to adjust to D1 college basketball.

Mitchell can slide back to the SF spot easily and let Mal and Flag man the post .

With Flag and Mal in the front court that only leaves Mitchell having to switch from 1-3 on defense and going against smaller defenders . IMO, next season would be the season for Mitchell to show case as a wing defender and free him up a lot more on offense. Teams will be way too worried about Flag and Mal.

Mitchell can slide back to the SF spot easily and let Mal and Flag man the post .

With Flag and Mal in the front court that only leaves Mitchell having to switch from 1-3 on defense and going against smaller defenders . IMO, next season would be the season for Mitchell to show case as a wing defender and free him up a lot more on offense. Teams will be way too worried about Flag and Mal.
Then every team is going to pack the lane. You put MM with Flagg and Maluach out on the court and spacing is absolutely ruined and shooting takes a major hit

Reactions: dukesince91
Roach should've done better on Saturday, but there is a strong possibility he has reached his ceiling.

As for Mitchell, I do not know if a great deal of improvement will happen in this system? Mitchell returning is great for experience and the locker room, however, he may hinder the growth of Stewart. If Mitchell was 6'10 or 6'11, he will be welcomed back with open arms. I do not know if he is a necessity for Duke in the 24/25 season.
I agree Roach has probably reached his ceiling and I can't see Mitchell coming back with less playing time

Reactions: jamsession2
Then every team is going to pack the lane. You put MM with Flagg and Maluach out on the court and spacing is absolutely ruined and shooting takes a major hit

I don’t feel that will be an issue because both Flagg and Maluach have outside shooting. Duke might still be able to play 5 out. Now I don’t know how much I want Maluach shooting 3 until he proves he can hit consistently. Flagg should have the green light from day one. Plus Mitchell needs to show he can hit the 3 more consistently to be more attractive to NBA scouts/GMs. In my opinion those three together next year would be amazing both offensively and defensively.

Fair points jamsession.

Regarding Roach Saturday, I think he just tried to do too much on his own, multiple times driving right into a triple team at the rim.

Mitchell is a known entity if he comes back. Having a bunch of 5 stars coming next year is amazing. But we have been bitten in the past with underperforming top recruits who needed a little more time to adjust to D1 college basketball.
That's it right there. We are celebrating top ranked classes, but getting beat by grown men 21 years or older, that were probably 2 and 3 star recruits.

That's correct, he's a natural sf/wf mismatch. Here's your problem. That means he will need to either develop a 3pt shot or the pf is a stretch 4 that did what Flip did freshman year.

I don’t feel that will be an issue because both Flagg and Maluach have outside shooting. Duke might still be able to play 5 out. Now I don’t know how much I want Maluach shooting 3 until he proves he can hit consistently. Flagg should have the green light from day one. Plus Mitchell needs to show he can hit the 3 more consistently to be more attractive to NBA scouts/GMs. In my opinion those three together next year would be amazing both offensively and defensively.
Do you really want to see Duke be a 5 out team? Again, against 'grown men' we will get bullied and exit the tournament in the Sweet Sixteen.

How ? Flagg can shoot nothing says he’s got to go to the lane every time . Why would teams pack the lane . You still have to adjust for our pg and sg options .
Mal can shoot as well so it’s not like teams won’t be running from the lane to the perimeter on switches .

Reactions: dukecorey
No I prefer Duke not being a 5 out again next season. I was just saying they can both shoot 3’s. Do I see Maluach playing out much, not really. But Flagg should play a lot out on the perimeter. I just don’t see the lane packed or spacing issues. And this is hypothetical if Mitchell does return and move back to 3. I could also see Flagg playing the 3 and Mitchell the 4. Plus as of now we are limited at the guard positions for next season, Mitchell at the 3 might lessen the issue.

That's correct, he's a natural sf/wf mismatch. Here's your problem. That means he will need to either develop a 3pt shot or the pf is a stretch 4 that did what Flip did freshman year.
Have you not saw Flagg or Mal shoot ? Not to mention the shooting guard is going to be anywhere from 6’5” to 6’9” depending on who it is ( Evans, Knup, Power, Schutt) and Foster can shoot as well.
Not to mention Flag is either playing at the stretch 4 or sf( which is hard to see given all the SF’s Duke has coming in ) leaving Stewart or a grad transfer to play the pf spot .

Have you not saw Flagg or Mal shoot ? Not to mention the shooting guard is going to be anywhere from 6’5” to 6’9” depending on who it is ( Evans, Knup, Power, Schutt) and Foster can shoot as well.
Not to mention Flag is either playing at the stretch 4 or sf( which is hard to see given all the SF’s Duke has coming in ) leaving Stewart or a grad transfer to play the pf spot .
Shey, I'm not here to argue their shooting in HS. I'm saying the college game is an adjustment. McCain has impressed many with his shooting, but at what expense as an entire team. I would trade one our perimeter players and their shooting to allow Flip to be a pg and have a 30 minute post player this year.

Not to mention Flag is either playing at the stretch 4 or sf( which is hard to see given all he SF’s Duke has coming in ) leaving Stewart or a grad transfer to play the pf spot .
When I see Cooper, I think of Brandon Ingram. That's great. A huge need for Duke is veteran BIG and experienced guard.

When I see Cooper, I think of Brandon Ingram. That's great. A huge need for Duke is veteran BIG and experienced guard.
Cooper is way ahead of Ingram coming into college . Evans is the one everyone is linking to Ingram .
I simply don’t see Duke getting nothing but back ups out the portal and I don’t see them being above Young or Grandison . I think that’s the type of portal players you see come to Duke .
I’m not arguing but Duke needed McCain to emerge as that scorer we all heard about preseason and he did . The issue is that all Dukes scorers can not seem to score as a unit causing individuals to take over at time.
Roach wasn’t doing anything last game so McCain had to step up. Flip either in until the second . A lot have to remember Duke thought at the beginning of the season they would have Reeves and Stewart and Young to help in the post at the five . It didn’t happen and Duke tried to get a center to come but the only one that wanted Duke and probably could have gotten in was much of an improvement over Young . If this team has all five starters play and score together they are unbeatable . The issue is against high competition they seem to not be able to do that . Come close but can’t .

Evans has had a ridiculous senior year and should finish top 10. If we have all the guards leave it sounds like we will, I don't see a way he's not starting next year.
I mentioned this in another thread but think about the size and athleticism Duke could put on the floor in its starting core .

Reactions: hart2chesson
Evans has had a ridiculous senior year and should finish top 10. If we have all the guards leave it sounds like we will, I don't see a way he's not starting next year.
I saw him play tabor a week ago, his team just beat Myers Part who is 4th in the country. He has a very nice 3pt jumper and isn’t afraid to shoot but needs to put weight on. Hopefully not all of our guards leave, saw on Twitter someone was in Trilly Donovan’s discord and someone mentioned Foster leaving so who knows.

Where is Foster going? He's not going to be drafted and he looks to be in line as the main PG at Duke.

Foster the one guy we assumed was back lol. The only way I see Foster leaving is if Proctor comes back.
This is correct. He’s back unless some how Proctor decides to return. But we won’t know any of this until well after the season. So the rumors are nothing but unsubstantiated hypothesis at this juncture. Which is fine, but don’t read too much into them until the season is over.

This is correct. He’s back unless some how Proctor decides to return. But we won’t know any of this until well after the season. So the rumors are nothing but unsubstantiated hypothesis at this juncture. Which is fine, but don’t read too much into them until the season is over.
The staff must be careful they do not implement the UK style of recruiting. You're forcing players to go pro or transfer because of the next incoming class.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Not sure why Foster would leave if Proctor did come back. They both could start if they are the only ones coming back (McCain & Roach leave). If Foster did leave Duke would still be at one guard same issue every was talking about with having just him. I know Evans and Kon will play some guard but need more than 3. Perfect situation would be to have both back since both can handle the point guard position. There would be no reason to look for a backup pg then.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
The staff must be careful they do not implement the UK style of recruiting. You're forcing players to go pro or transfer because of the next incoming class.
In principal yes. But with the portal the way it is, there is zero guarantee that anyone stays. So you have to prepare the best you possibly can. Just think over the last three years. Got lucky we convinced Roach to come back for his junior year and had to replace the rest of the roster. Last year we got three sophs back, two could have left. Roach returned. Whiffed at a portal 5 for various reasons we’ve discussed. Got lucky no one transferred. Two guys got redshirted, could have multiple transfers next year. Etc.

Not sure why Foster would leave if Proctor did come back. They both could start if they are the only ones coming back (McCain & Roach leave). If Foster did leave Duke would still be at one guard same issue every was talking about with having just him. I know Evans and Kon will play some guard but need more than 3. Perfect situation would be to have both back since both can handle the point guard position. There would be no reason to look for a backup pg then.
Foster wants to be the starting PG. I’d think he still would be but also Proctor in this scenario is trying to play point too even though he can play off the ball. So who knows. Rumors will swirl until things happen, that’s the nature of the beast in college sports now.

Proctor and Duke play well over the next few weeks and it all gets sorted out the way it’s supposed to. Best case scenario.

A. Jamison was raving about Evans. He said he's better than Ingram at this stage. Sounds like Evans will be a starter. I haven't really followed him that closely but apparently he's a scoring machine. We will probably resemble the later Coach K type freshman heavy teams next year depending on who returns.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboSlice00
A. Jamison was raving about Evans. He said he's better than Ingram at this stage. Sounds like Evans will be a starter. I haven't really followed him that closely but apparently he's a scoring machine. We will probably resemble the later Coach K type freshman heavy teams next year depending on who returns.
@Mac9192 your heartfelt thoughts I respect so much sir. Considering the super class incoming, and possible a few
returnees next year, are you concerned about too much talent?

Right now I fear Power, Schutt, Stewart, Reeves possibly all gone. Also as far as upper tier guys leaving, I'd guess Flip, Mitchell, Jeremy and either Proctor or Foster.

You and I have discussed these teams in the past where we thought K brought in too much talent, either disrupting chemistry and/or running future team leaders off???

OFC

OFC

I'd be happy with Foster, Schutt, Power, Mitchell and Stewart back. We'd be young, no seniors, but those guys at least have experience. If we get one of Proctor/McCain/Roach back we'd be really good, but who knows at this point. I highly doubt Blakes is back given he is out of the rotation. Ditto Reeves. If we lose nearly everyone like 2 years ago we will be good, but likely too young to be great. If we don't bother with the portal then staff should focus on NIL and keeping guys. I'm not a huge fan of super young teams, no matter how talented, but we will see how it plays out.

Last edited:
@Mac9192 your heartfelt thoughts I respect so much sir. Considering the super class incoming, and possible a few
returnees next year, are you concerned about too much talent?

Right now I fear Power, Schutt, Stewart, Reeves possibly all gone. Also as far as upper tier guys leaving, I'd guess Flip, Mitchell, Jeremy and either Proctor or Foster.

You and I have discussed these teams in the past where we thought K brought in too much talent, either disrupting chemistry and/or running future team leaders off???

OFC

OFC
Good points Hart. It's too early to know who is leaving and who's staying, but I'd venture to say we lose our starting five. A legitimate question that we will find out soon: have Stewart and Power (and Reeves) accepted how this season has gone, enough so that they decide to stay knowing that SIX highly rated kids are coming in?

There's so much at play over the next few months. It's also possible that a few of the kids coming in could change their mind if a few of the current kids decide to stay.

What these kids do know is the same thing many of us know, and that's how many guys will play. This ain't college football. Ten guys aren't going to play 15 plus minutes. Six guys come February will play the bulk of the minutes, with possibly two more around 10-12 a game.

Last edited:
Good points Hart. It's too early to know who is leaving and who's staying, but I'd venture to say we lose our starting five. A legitimate question that we will find out soon: have Stewart and Power (and Reeves) accepted how this season has gone, enough so that they decide to stay knowing that SIX highly rated kids are coming in?

There's so much at play over the next few months. It's also possible that a few of the kids coming in could change their mind if a few of the current kids decide to stay.

What these kids do know is the same thing many of us know, and that's how many guys will play. This ain't college football. Ten guys aren't going to play 15 plus minutes. Six guys come February will play the bulk of the minutes, with possibly two more around 10-12 a game.
Great answer and detail Mac! Genuine thanks! OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT