ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SYRACUSE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Still vague and unsure how severe...best you can hope for right now I guess

Offensively I agree with a lot of this. We shot way too many 3’s in the second half. We didn’t get the ball into Zion nearly enough. Zion made a lot of good things happen when he caught the ball at the elbow. We went away from that during a crucial part of the second half and it put us in deep trouble. We also went away from it in overtime, likely due to fatigue. When you are an average at best shooting team you don’t fall into a habit of chucking 3’s. We did.
The problem with not having your PG is that the court shrinks. It's a good PG's vision that opens things up. There were several times Zion and Marques got position down low, but the guys on the perimeter didn't have the confidence to get it inside because they're not natural distributors.

Again, we have a habit of using the word effort when we should be using skill. AOC is not a skilled defender, he physically can’t stay in front of a guy like Thomas or Battle. Jack White even struggled and he’s much stronger. Goldwire struggled. It’s not as if they weren’t trying, they are simply not equipped to handle that sort of guy. If we had known that we would be without Cam and then Tre, I’m sure we gameplan differently.
So you’d rather the lesser skilled defender not to at least put forth effort? Asking for a friend…

Welp something had to beat this team and screw everything up. If that’s a serious injury my sobriety is over! Who’s joining me!!!????

Reactions: DukefanKY
Great game. The loss don't bother me at all. If they didn't fight, that would of been worse for me. They fought and guys was pushed beyond their limits with Tre and Cam out, and it still took overtime to beat them. The negative post, have at it, because it's there after a win. Just try to at least be consistent with it as you want the players to be. Hope Tre will be ok. That's all that matters to me at this point.

Can’t be much worse than what we saw tonight. I like Goldwire but I don’t think he’s a 30+ minute option at the point. I’d do 20 with Cam, 10 with Goldwire, and 10 with RJ. Let’s just hope Tre is okay and it doesn’t matter.
Did he even play in the 2nd half. Hell, put someone in besides Jack the entire time. Buckmire. Besser. Jack has to get a breather. Tell him to stop shooting like it’s NBA Live 95 with the Game Genie activated.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
If you think it couldn't be worse...just imagine if Cam hadn't made that game winner at FSU. If Tre gets healthy and gets back within a relatively short period of time, there could be a silver lining to all of it. Patience.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad and Neners
Where’s the hell yes!

FVOPMAk.jpg

Cuse doesn’t hit that 80 foot shot at the end of the half and Duke wins by 3 in regulation everything else remaining constant. Of course it wouldn’t bc Cuse would start fouling, but it goes to show how those fluke things can change a game.

seems like we could have mixed it up a bit, maybe add in zone - Robinson and Vrank for a few minutes somewhere. Slow the pace a bit to rest etc. Robinson has energy and has hit shots before..we seemed to just keep banging our heads on the wall and jacking 3's thinking it would work eventually. Surprised we didnt try anything different to try to throw Cuse off their rhythm. Its not the loss that hurts but the manner in which we lost...just baffling.

I’m disappointed that we lost but I’m impressed with the way the team kept fighting the entire game especially missing Cam for the entire game due to an illness and Tre for almost 35 minutes of the game due to injury. The fact that we only lost by 4 points shows that this team has tons of fight and doesn’t give up in the face of adversity. We all knew that we would probably lose a game that we shouldn’t, it just so happened that game that we shouldn’t lose was a game where we had to play without 2 of our starters for 35 minutes and 40 minutes. Now we just have to hope that Tre’s injury isn’t too serious and Cam gets over his illness by Saturday when we play Virginia

Reactions: Quavarius
ESPN just showed K’s presser. Says it’s just a sprain but Jones did say he thought he might have broke his collarbone and was in a lot of pain. I would love to have him on the court Saturday, but not if it risks his long term health. I’d rather take an L or two to make sure Tre is healthy in March and April.

Reactions: Dattier
Great ....We got a 1% chance to beat UVA without Tre. Maybe less than that. Fair trade for this not being a season ender though:....Ughh I’m going to bed pissedddddd!!!

I guess the good news for the rest of the nation is that if Duke is out two starters, shoots 9-43 from 3, while you simultaneously have three guys with season highs, a 4th with a career high in rebounds, and shoot better than you have all year - including an 80 foot three - you might be able to win in overtime.

We are about to enter a very frustrating period. We all know how guarded K is when it comes to injuries. We are going to crave information and specificity and we will be given very little. Might as well get ready for it.

I admire the effort our guys gave tonight, particularly Zion & RJ, but without Tre we just aren't that great unfortunately. What a bummer of a night.

I’m not sure there is an easy answer for our Tre problem. Literally no one else on our roster has that kind of feel for the floor game. I am hoping Goldy can step in and just fill some of the defensive role and just start the break.

Looked to me like the middle wasn't open, Syracuse was daring Duke to shoot. AOC only shoots when he's wide open and doesn't yet make a move to get himself open. So our only choice was a Captain Jack who has been money for us, especially at Cameron. I always felt the next one was going in. Just didn't happen.

How long is someone usually out for a shoulder sprain? Know nothing about them tbh
Depends really. My daughter had a labral tear. Doctor said most people including athletes are in pain. He also said that it depends on the person. I know a tear is more than a sprain but she still played basketball.

With Tre, it isn't about the O. He's the focal point of the D. And we aren't great in the half court WITH Tre. The steals he gets and TOs he forces lead to some easy points.

Reactions: skysdad
Looked to me like the middle wasn't open, Syracuse was daring Duke to shoot. AOC only shoots when he's wide open and doesn't yet make a move to get himself open. So our only choice was a Captain Jack who has been money for us, especially at Cameron. I always felt the next one was going in. Just didn't happen.

We disagree. Yes they were daring us, but that is the bait we didn’t need to take. It’s not hard to get the ball into the middle of a zone. Sometimes it takes a little movement/fakes/quick passes, but you can get it in there. I don’t want to call it hero ball when we jacked up 3’s, but we settled for what appeared to be a good look. When you take the first look in a zone, it results in a lot of 3’s. You can get a 3 at any point in the shot clock against a zone, we needed to work harder for inside looks.

With Tre, it isn't about the O. He's the focal point of the D. And we aren't great in the half court WITH Tre. The steals he gets and TOs he forces lead to some easy points.

But I thought we were delusional for calling him an elite defender?

Tre would have gotten the ball into the middle of the zone with a lot more consistency. Much more than RJ or AOC or even Jack did. He wouldn’t have helped our 3% percentage, even as bad as it was, but IMO he helps us in the half court tonight. But I also get your point and he does create more fast break opportunities and that is our biggest strength this year.

Tre would have gotten the ball into the middle of the zone with a lot more consistency. Much more than RJ or AOC or even Jack did. He wouldn’t have helped our 3% percentage, even as bad as it was, but IMO he helps us in the half court tonight. But I also get your point and he does create more fast break opportunities and that is our biggest strength this year.

RJ with only 3 FT attempts and 17 3pt attempts backs up the settling for 3 argument...more inside play would have maybe allowed us more FT...now making them is another matter! He had to handle the ball more so that didnt help either...lots had to go wrong for Cuse to win but on any given night it can happen

Playing elite D vs the PGs we have seen this year is one thing. We'll see if he's as effective vs Westbrook, Kyrie, John Wall, or James Harden. Battle is an NBA SG, and a run of the mill one at that. None of the FSU guards will play big minutes in the pros. The best PG we've faced so far, from an NBA POV, is the kid from Gonzaga, and he's not a starter. Hagen from UK could be, but he's years away from developing the skills necessary to be a quality starting PG.
Tre is an elite college PG, and a top tier defensive PG. Vs college players. The NBA pgs are a little better.

Cuse took advantage of our adversity.

I’d rather have the bumps in the road now than at the end of the season as long as we’re healthy heading into the NCAA Tournament, I’m good.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT