ADVERTISEMENT

****OFFICIAL DUKE VS. ELON OPENING NIGHT THREAD****

We missed on a guy, and ended up in a better situation. Can't say that happens very often.

Finally a Tucker sighting! O’connell looking smooth. Disappointed in free throw shooting. Gotta work on that between now and Michigan State. Gonna need to make free throws in that game.

I love all the minutes the bench players got tonight.. especially since there is another game tomorrow night.. that is how you can (try to) prevent injuries.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The free throws were by Bagley and Carter and DeLaurier that were missed. We know Allen and Trent can shoot them. Bagley has good form so it may just be a first game thing. I’m not gonna worry about that just yet

We also didn’t have Bolden. I️ think we shot too much from 3. 18 attempts in the first half. With this much size, let’s not just shoot the 3 because that’s what we always do. I️ think we will be very good rebounding and defensively. The inside out with Allen and Tren then Bagley, Carter and Bilden is going to be a headache for everyone

Great win tonight. But we must do a better job on guarding the 3-point line and making free throws. Other than that, I'm salavating at how great this team will become later in the season.

The good.....

-Ummm, Grayson looks like Grayson
-Bagley is ridiculously good
-Javin is going to be really good....maybe even as early as this season
-Our size is incredible

The bad....

-We're not going to be a very good FT shooting team and it's going to cost us some games this season
-There's never a reason for this team to shoot 18 three's in a half or 30 in a game
-Piggy-backing on all the three's, we need more easy baskets with our size....and we had quite a few tonight but can have even more

It's hard to gain much perspective from a game like tonight. Elon just isn't very good. That said, we beat them into the ground early and never once let them back in it. Good teams will do that. That we did it in our first game is even more impressive.

The good.....

-Ummm, Grayson looks like Grayson
-Bagley is ridiculously good
-Javin is going to be really good....maybe even as early as this season
-Our size is incredible

The bad....

-We're not going to be a very good FT shooting team and it's going to cost us some games this season
-There's never a reason for this team to shoot 18 three's in a half or 30 in a game
-Piggy-backing on all the three's, we need more easy baskets with our size....and we had quite a few tonight but can have even more

It's hard to gain much perspective from a game like tonight. Elon just isn't very good. That said, we beat them into the ground early and never once let them back in it. Good teams will do that. That we did it in our first game is even more impressive.

Good points. I believe we kept shooting from deep partly due to Wendell going out early with 2 fouls and Bolden being out. Curious to see how (if) that changes once both guys are in full rotation...

Very nice 1st game. Really liked the effort on defense to start the year! We will get much better at defending the 3 point line, and I believe we will improve the FT shooting as the season moves along.
Kids really seem to be meshing very well, which is a great sign early. Scary good right now, and imagine what they will be like come March!
Shout out to Goldwire, did a nice job on both ends of the floor. Oh yeah, and to one of my new favorites, how about Alex?! Really like this kid, he is Duke all over!
Going to be a fun year folks!
Go Duke!
OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
One things for sure and that's Alex isn't bashful at all. He came to Duke to play basketball and he's gonna motivate some other players on the team to the fact that they are going to play harder. OFC

Aside from all the superlatives, and there were many, we saw a lot of little things we needed to see tonight..

Duval ran things and contributed without needing or trying to score. Let game come to him and didn't force or try to be the show.

Javin is ready to consistently contribute. He is ready and able for a 6th/7th man role.

Goldwire can handle 5+ minutes a game to spell Trevon, and not just garbage time. That should be all we need from him.

Alex can come in and hold his own if we need him. Scrappy guy with tons of energy who can hit the 3.

Let me tell you after seeing this team in person ! They are well let me say the starting 5 is the best I’ve ever seen at duke (like start of season , inexperienced, talent, confidence , Mature, not afraid at all! Even the bench is right good ! But that starting 5 is better then a lot of nba teams starters imo! Wow! When these guys play a few games my god they can and I hate to say it but go 40-0 Idc who laughs u gotta c them in person ...Alex O’Connell is gonna be good! He’s not as small as people think or skinny rather ! Just the way he carries himself and moves is full of confidence ..tucker was imo the worst player on the team (readywise ) he’s just not ready mentally after watching ..could that change soon maybe ! The starting 5 speaks for itself ! Alex is gonna be a star at duke! JD can jump out the gym ... what’s wrong with Bolden ? Goldwire was a ghost to me don’t know what to think ..Allen is really good btw..for the people that havnt seen at game at Cameron or this team ....you got to see them , it’s a must , never seen anything like it from just the 1st game and a bunch of freshman ...maybe Kentucky a few years back is close but still not like this team..if we lose we beat ourself point blank ..no1 will beat us at our hell average !...and I’ve seen a lot of games /teams in my years in person ...the potential of this team is unbelievable ...this game we didn’t even play our or close to our best but u can just see what can happen with this group ... MSU Goodluck....

Last edited:
Next years class is well
On its way also to being good lol RJ!!!!

This team would blow out last years team fully healthy...just a different vibe 1-7 well 8 with Alex play with complete confidence and swag like I havnt seen in my life especially for freshman ... with Bolden being iffy and didn’t see him....imo though Alex come real competitive time has the 8 spot..we’ll should over goldwire , if not we go 9! ..he will play !

Last edited:
The team looked really good. I enjoyed this game. Tomorrow's game will be a good game and I look forward to our players stepping it up even more.
-Bagley is really a beast. I like how he plays with patience. He isn't playing out of control at all like a lot of freshmen do. He's being himself and not trying to be something he isn't.
-I think if Carter wasn't in foul trouble he would've gotten a double double as well. I really like his game.
-Tre ran the team beautifully. 8 assists and no turnovers is just beautiful. He's going to show he's a true point guard. The shot will come when he gets in the league. As long as he can run the team and keep playing elite defense, he will make this team almost unbeatable.
-Grayson and Gary are snipers. It's just that simple. Those dudes can really shoot it.
-I like how Coach K played the bench tonight. I hope he does that often. I'm not saying put in a whole second team but you can sprinkle them in with the starters here and there.

I really like this team!!!!

bagley is a beast and nba star without a doubt but before I said whoever said bagley needs to get stronger is a idiot ,, but I will admit I was wrong , he does need some more strength in watching him not move Elon’s big guys lowering his shoulder .... but that’s nit picking atp ..he will get stronger and yea just saying I see what analysts we’re saying ...but he can still dominate regardless and still long and huge ...he won’t need it in college with 95% time anyway , he’s really slick and has touch down low....only thing imo that needs to improve with our bigs is FTS ...they will get hacked a lot now

Let me say also it’s been a while since I’ve seen such a well officiated game also!! Great job refs..been a while lmao

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT