ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NC STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Duke is coming off its best half of the season as it heads into this evenings matchup with NC State. Hopefully in the second half against Miami we got a glimpse of what this team is capable of doing. The weapons have always been there - it's how much heart to they have that's been question.

Tomorrow I look for more of what Duke did in the second half to Miami. Play with passion, desire and heart. I think we will pull of a double digit win (easily) and even though I haven't seen the spread, I have to believe they've got us in the -16 to -17 range?

Anyway, Duke by double digits.

Tonight's game is slated for a 7pm est tip and will air on ESPN HD.

Duke 81

NC State 66

GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do hope our 2nd half play against Miami carries over into this game. Need to come out and play hard and smart.

Duke 85
NC State 74

OFC

This one is going to be interesting. I am curious to see if we come out with energy or revert back to our old ways. Containing Smith off the dribble will be an issue. High scoring game.
Duke 89
NC State 81

If we play with the same heart we played with in the 2nd half Saturday, we win big. If not this could be a war. State usually plays us hard. GO DUKE!!!!!

OFC

A lot will be revealed tonight about character. We are capable of taking it to Nc St but we are also capable of losing to most teams depending on which half of basketball against Miami we play tonight.

We had a feel good moment for sure the other night. How do we handle that? Do we pat ourselves on the back and come out complacent? Do we relish the taste of success that we had the other night and compete our asses off so that we can find it again and again and again? Do Allen and Kennard get pissed off that they started on the bench for the second half? A lot of questions will be answered tonight.

Duke by 100

Don't know, lol

Which team is gonna come out on the floor.

If they play with heart and with passion its not close. I hope so very badly that we seen what Duke can be in the 2nd half and it carries on thru the rest of the season. They will still probably lose before the season is out but play with that passion, and they go deep in March and April.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Would love to see us take it to them from the jump and have the game over at halftime. Think it can happen as long as we keep Smith out of the lane (easier said than done). I look for Matt to start and challenge Smith.

Duke 88
NC State 66

Marques with his first double-double of the year.

It'll be interesting to see what Capel does with the lineup. Will we see significant time with Frank/Matt/Tatum/Bolden/Amile? I hope to see the same effort from Bolden we saw last game.

I would like to see:
  • More of Bolden - if he can come out like he did at last game. Want that to have been the real start of his year.
  • Less of Kennard and Allen on the floor together. Pair them with Jones or Jackson and I think they will be steadier. Allen can handle the ball but is not and never will be (IMO) our PG. That is Jackson's role to develop - if he can stay on the floor. Allen is dish and drive.
  • More Jackson - Kid has so much potential and he is part of the determiner of how far we can go. If he can develop into a capable PG we have the other pieces.
  • Tatum letting the game come to him. He has such a beautiful game if he lets the game come to him - needs to cool it on bad three pointers though. Take good shots young man.
  • Less Harry Giles (if the game is close). Right now Giles is not an IS. He is a was and a could be. I want success for him so bad but he is off.
  • Amile getting his game back. Had great effort Saturday, but he is not himself yet. Hope that is back today. He and Bolden in the center can really turn our D around. If Bolden plays like Saturday that is.
  • Some scoring - 1-2 on Kenpom for AdjO since the beginning of the season and in three games we drop to 15. UGGGGHHHH!

Reactions: Mpm277
I've never been like this before. I just absolutely have no idea what to expect anymore.
I agree, saturday I figured they would come out to start with intensity and take control early. I was hyped all day to see them play until the game started. I'm not gonna get my hopes up until we do see consistent play from game to game. If they carry the second half momentum to this game I think they will finally start turning the corner and play how we all want to see them play.

I can't believe how large the line is Duke -16! That seems really high to me

That surprises me too. I guess the only Duke basketball they have seen this year is the most recent 20 minutes. I know NC St. is in a little bit of a tailspin lately, but that is a big number. That recent half showed where Duke is hopefully trending, but it is naive to think they have "arrived."

Duke wins, but they don't cover:
Duke - 84
NC St. - 71

DUKE 81
NCSU 66

The Wolf Pack is going to come in wanting a kill. It's important we put them away from the opening whistle. We can't start off by going 1-10 from the field and watch NCSU slam dunk offensive rebounds. Get the lead early and extend that lead throughout the game. Make it no doubt who's in charge. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
DUKE 81
NCSU 66

The Wolf Pack is going to come in wanting a kill. It's important we put them away from the opening whistle. We can't start off by going 1-10 from the field and watch NCSU slam dunk offensive rebounds. Get the lead early and extend that lead throughout the game. Make it no doubt who's in charge. OFC

Sky I think you're wary of this "Big 4" scrap just like myself!

Duke 89
State 80

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Abnormally large line tonight, as some have noted, so I like the Devils to win rather easily. I was hoping for Duke to be a 12-14 point favorite, but 16 quite heavy considering who we are playing and the situation. Hopefully that equates to more of what we saw in the second half against Miami. Vegas certainly thinks so.

I get the feeling that Duke picks up where they left off against Miami, excluding those last few minutes when they relaxed.

If Duke plays like they did in the second half against Miami, they should roll over NC State, and I think they will do just that.

Duke: 87
NC State: 73

Let's Go Duke!!

Reactions: hart2chesson
Sky I think you're wary of this "Big 4" scrap just like myself!

Duke 89
State 80

OFC

I do think we will win. We just need to take care of business early in the game and go ahead and bury them. A 30 point plus win would be great. I just don't like the idea of a close game. No stall ball. We just don't do that well. I know dukie jay disagrees about that but I feel if we do go into that type of game we should extend the lead or at least maintain it and in the past we just don't do it. We get sloppy with the ball, the shot clock expires or we end up getting a bad shot all which I define as turn overs. I also think we should extend half time leads, not lose them. I don't know why I got on this. I could have started a whole thread about this but probably not a good idea either. We will win tonight and Giles will have his breakout and then everyone will think he should be starting until our next game when someone else like Javin has his breakout game.:) OFC

Gonna miss the first half. Expect to see a 10 to 15 point lead when I tune in. OFC

Frank Jackson needs to be guarding Dennis Smith Jr.!! We need to stick with the same starting 5 we played in the 2nd half on Saturday.

Reactions: Showenuff
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT