ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs lville

Other than proctor and Mitchell, the rest of the guys have been playing like crap. Flip has been real bad tonight

Reactions: sheyduke
We lost our leader on the road and could've folded—gut-check win. We have to play better through adversity when a guy goes down. I thought Jon made good adjustments. I hope Roach is okay because we cannot afford to lose him.

We lost our leader on the road and could've folded—gut-check win. We have to play better through adversity when a guy goes down. I thought Jon made good adjustments. I hope Roach is okay because we cannot afford to lose him.
It was a lucky win . If we are relying on one guard to win it all that says it all . McCain had eight points and I think foster had 0.
It’s Louisville, they are not threatening anyone in the ACC.
I don’t see this as a gut check win I see it as a waking call . Either play for forty minutes as a team or you will get beat !
If Proctor didn’t show up this game is way closer .

Scoring isn’t the problem. D is the problem. Not gonna happen but I would like to see more of Stew at the 4 and Mitchell at the 3. Become bigger and have a rim guy on O (lob) and D.

Reactions: Duke Blu
It was a lucky win . If we are relying on one guard to win it all that says it all . McCain had eight points and I think foster had 0.
I don’t see this as a gut check win I see it as a waking call . Either play for forty minutes as a team or you will get beat !
If Proctor didn’t show up, this game is way closer.
The cheaters only beat Louisville at home by 16 after blowing a huge lead. We did it on the road after losing our leader, Roach. I think it is a gut-check win. But you can call it what you want to. At this point, some will disagree with me no matter what I say. I don't care. Also, McCain hit some clutch shots down the stretch. Proctor was magnificent. As was Mitchell.

Fouls killing us. But good to see Mitchel back and to see Proctor playing well.

We need to keep Mitchell for next year. And please, coach, get these guys in the weight room! Do they even lift weights or have a basketball weight room? Or do they just do light band work? (Facetious). Man. We need to get some physicality in these guys. Gain some muscle weight. That, but they have a physical training staff that doesn’t believe in building these guys up to get them strong and physical.

(I know they do some work, but it does feel like they don’t really emphasize getting them physically bigger and stronger This isn’t the 1980s or 70s anymore. It’s a physical game)
You must be about 20 years old. Hell, all sports were more physical in the 70’s & 80’s than now.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Wasn't pretty especially when we started out so strong. Wonder who's idea it was to have Stewart, Mitchell and Flip all out there at the same time?
I hope we see it more. If Mitchell is going to keep playing well then it doesn’t hurt to have Stew out there for better defense, rebounding and dirty work. I had been calling for that lineup since the beginning but maybe they are starting to work Stew in now.

Positives - Proctor played great (minus a couple free throws). He ran the team well and did a great job working the pick and roll. Mitchell is playing his best basketball in a Duke uniform. His presence made this game look much different. I actually wish we went to him more often. Stewart got really valuable minutes and mostly did okay. I was surprised the big lineup was effective, but it seemed to be. And we out rebounded them by a ton. Lastly, Kyle and Jared had some big moments down the stretch.

Negatives - Losing Roach scares me, mostly because our guard depth is not good. Blakes just can't do it, and Foster's lack of aggressiveness makes him nothing but a warm body most of the time (on offense). I am shocked at how he plays. I thought he would be attacking regularly. Praying Jeremy can get healthy quickly.

Defense continues to be a problem, and I'm still not seeing in game adjustments. I noticed some changes tonight with Mitchell coming over to double at times and Kyle laying back more on some pick and rolls, but ultimately when they started getting to the rim and drawing fouls, we didn't make any changes. Definition of insanity...

Someone mentioned letting bad teams make it a game in the second half, turning it into a dog fight. I agree with that. When we get in these situations we typically don't play well, Kyle especially. I'm glad it was just Louisville tonight.

Overall it's an okay win and great to get Mark back. He is so important to this team. But we really need Jeremy for us to be better than just pretty good, so I'm crossing my fingers he's not out long term.

A decent win. Nothing to really brag about, except Proctor and Mitchell on offense. It was also good to see Stewart play, and was a perfect team for him to get some blood flowing. Hope he can improve a little more. He has energy, but he’s as excited as a 15 year old boy walking into a Victoria’s Secret.

McCain struggled for most of the game, but good to see him hit a few shots when needed. Not a great offensive showing by Flip either, but he did grab 15 rebounds, and Proctor handed the “lost and lethargic” baton to Foster.

My major concern is that Damon Stoudamire exposed Duke in an area. We have to shore up our defending the pick n roll.

Just got home but was following the score on my phone. Based on the comments Mitchell was back(yay), Roach got injured again (grrrr), Stewart played good minutes, Proctor stepped up big time, and we won. A 14 point road ACC win is nothing to sneeze at. We are finished with the easy part of the ACC schedule, tougher games coming up but a good win. Clemson, @VT and @UNC coming up. Would be okay with 2 of 3.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
This has been another rough year for us when it comes to injuries. Since Kyrie in '11, we've been snake bit it seems.
I thought that exact thought when Roach was reinjured. It's just uncanny. Getting Mitchell back is a big plus, as is Stewart's and Proctor's play.

Last edited:
I went for subtlety there. But forget it. I don't want to do this shit in every thread with you from here on out. Life is too damn short. We won—next play.

Good I don’t either! I’ll stay spoiled you stay mediocre. At least that way I can expect greatness

Just got home but was following the score on my phone. Based on the comments Mitchell was back(yay), Roach got injured again (grrrr), Stewart played good minutes, Proctor stepped up big time, and we won. A 14 point road ACC win is nothing to sneeze at. We are finished with the easy part of the ACC schedule, tougher games coming up but a good win. Clemson, @VT and @UNC coming up. Would be okay with 2 of 3.

Saturday will be tough but playing at Cameron helps.. if it was at littleJohn no way we win. @VT we will probably somehow look amazing then get curb stomped in chapel hill

Reactions: christophero
I was surprised the big lineup was effective, but it seemed to be. And we out rebounded them by a ton.
If Mitchell continues his play then I honestly think the big lineup is the best lineup. As you alluded to, the rebounding, Stewart had 6 and 2 blocks. I imagine that continues to improve with more minutes. Also, I believe it improves us defensively on the interior and protects flip more.

My hope is that eventually:

Proctor plays like this most nights and we go with

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Stewart
Filipowski

Not getting my hopes up but i liked seeing it.

Not able to watch the games as i am traveling internationally....but from reports/comments/box score this one wasnt much better....let a large lead slip against a poor team and continued to struggle on both ends for long periods....Flip shooting 6 3's and making one...I still think he has an identity problem...Jack of all trades, master of none at the moment..we need to find his best role for maximum team benefit, I dont think we are there yet.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
If Proctor didn’t show up this game is way closer .
I think we’ve had plenty of wake-up calls already this season, but the lessons seem to vanish quickly. We had that nice run in the first half when we began moving the ball quickly, but then reverted to lots of dribbling and some selfish one-on-one plays (like 2 consecutive fast breaks where the guy with the ball didn’t pass it to a teammate with a better lane and came up empty). I was glad, however, to see Stewart get serious minutes. His stats are irrelevant, IMO. Just giving him some experience, as well as the confidence that he’s not going to get yanked the minute he messes up, could pay big dividends later this year, especially as we get into the meat of our schedule and post-season play.

The cheaters only beat Louisville at home by 16 after blowing a huge lead. We did it on the road after losing our leader, Roach. I think it is a gut-check win. But you can call it what you want to. At this point, some will disagree with me no matter what I say. I don't care. Also, McCain hit some clutch shots down the stretch. Proctor was magnificent. As was Mitchell.
I’m not totally disagreeing with you but you have yet to mention if Proctor doesn’t show up for a change we don’t win . My point being everyone playing needs to play as a team . With the injury bug hitting left and right it will be next man up every game in order for this team to reach its peak

I missed the game live, and like others I was at a meeting checking on my phone. Up 18 early to a tight game midway thru the second half. I am glad Proctor found his stroke late. It was great to see Mark have another good game on both ends of the floor! Add me to the list of people who was happy to see Stewart get some burn. I really don't like that small lineup, and having Mitchell and Stewart on the floor makes us an entirely different team.

I feel like we are lacking consistency as a team and in many cases individually as players. Flip is Jekyll and Hyde, looks like an all American one minute, then he's barreling thru the lane backwards picking up bad offensive fouls the next. Similar with McCain's shooting and Proctor's overall play. With Roach likely down for a really tough stretch we are going to have to become the fist over the next three. I would be happy going 2-1.

End of the day, 14 point ACC road win! Next!

McCain can score but he is
If Mitchell continues his play then I honestly think the big lineup is the best lineup. As you alluded to, the rebounding, Stewart had 6 and 2 blocks. I imagine that continues to improve with more minutes. Also, I believe it improves us defensively on the interior and protects flip more.

My hope is that eventually:

Proctor plays like this most nights and we go with

Proctor
Roach
Mitchell
Stewart
Filipowski

Not getting my hopes up but i liked seeing it.
I like that a lot!!

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT