ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Gerritt Kemp wr tweets out commitment
really nice get
offers from duke, georgia, georgia tech, indiana, kentuky, lsu. mich st, nc st, northwestern, ole miss, tenn, uva and wake.
hugely underrated here as a 5.5 grade. i expect that to get bumped
rated as an 88 on both on3 and 247 so upper 3 star elsewhere

Last edited:
So here begins our annual "can Duke keep them when the Big10 and SEC come knocking" watch.

I am hopeful that since these guys already turned down Big10 and SEC schools, it's not like they are going to be blown away by a big time offer.

Just a comment on our recruiting
It seems to me that our bottom end is just much better than it was a decade ago. When our lowest rated recruits have 7 power 5 offers that is nice. I remember a time when that was our top end. We still need to get to 3-5 four star kids a year for our top end to fully compete but I think the raising of the low bar first by Cut and then Elmo is why we can compete so much better these days. Just happy to see it.

Good point Surf. I do agree that the schools we are competing with tell us a lot. I am also happy that so far, Manny seems to be raising the bar as opposed to going back a step. I'm sure he developed some great contacts with high school coaches in Pa and North which can be a treasure trove of talent.

nice pick up. will need to bulk up when he gets to campus but he has the frame for it. i know i am dating myself but this was the kind of kid that george welch used to recruit at virginia. he loved tall but light kids because when they came to campus he could bulk them up. you cant teach height
Surf, good observation about Welsh. Thought he was a real jerk,but he knew his football and was a helluva coach. Remember him quite well. We ripped him a new one I think 51-17 in WW if memory serves in 82. Spurrier was OC under Red Wilson,and poured it on. Welsh never forgot,and ran off a streak against us of huge wins.

Spurrier and Welsh despised one another. Steve really got under his skin in 89. We got blown out early in the year in Charlottesville,but tied UVA for the league championship. Welsh claimed the title(head to head win over Devils). Spurrier ever the competitor, countered. After all Spurrier said: Duke beat highly ranked Clemson,Virginia did not. Ooooooh,burned ol George a new one!!!

nice pick up. will need to bulk up when he gets to campus but he has the frame for it. i know i am dating myself but this was the kind of kid that George Welch used to recruit at virginia. he loved tall but light kids because when they came to campus he could bulk them up. you cant teach height

I had a lineman in my freshman dorm named Brad Oates. His brother Bart played center in the pros for a long time and Brad transferred to BYU and did well himself. He was a tall guy, about 6'6" I think, and downright thin. But he filled out and ended up a really good offensive lineman at BYU. So it can happen.

offensive line oh snap GIF by REDBLACKS

I love the O-line class Manny has assembled. You can have a great QB, terrific receivers and phenomenal RB’s, but it counts for bumpkus if the O-line sucks.

Is it too early to have a feel how many of our current commits may be January enrollees?

I love the O-line class Manny has assembled. You can have a great QB, terrific receivers and phenomenal RB’s, but it counts for bumpkus if the O-line sucks.

Is it too early to have a feel how many of our current commits may be January enrollees?
That's gotten more difficult to have a handle on because of how much freedom to move around that transfers have.

Teams have typically been able to bring in more January enrollees than, say, 5 years ago ... so I'd just ballpark it around 50% of the class arriving early until we have more of a sense of how many spots they'll have open.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT