ADVERTISEMENT

This Duke team is one of the more dangerous teams to watch out for in the Country.

Neue Regel

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 13, 2003
I don't post anywhere as much as I used to but this Devils Illustrated HOF'er doesn't blow smoke with proclamations like this unless I truly believe it. Don't be down about Saturday as these kids wanted that game badly and they fought hard and should have won it. Had the correct call been made (as the ACC has stated it should have been) then one free throw wins the game. They're not going to finish first or maybe even top 4 and they're unranked right now which will have them off the local and national radar but that's fine. They're ridiculously young and have taken their lumps, Jon has not had his full roster of players for most of the season which only increases the learning curve and it's no secret on what they have to improve on. A big one being the damn turnovers. We can already see subtle changes taking place that could make a big difference later. I like having Proctor take a larger role in ball-handling duties which not only frees up Jeremy to be that attacking guard with his quickness, it allows Procter with his height and ability to read situations to make plays himself or find open guys. That mid-range jumper he has utilized quite a bit is a good example. The dunk he had off the bounce the other night was sensational, and I thought for sure UVA had it almost stripped before he made the one handed throw down. As the announcers love to remind us, he could still be in high school.

Lively/Fillipowski/Young are an excellent quartet of bigs. We saw what Lively did to Carolina, effectively owning the interior on the defensive end whether it was slowing down Bacot or swatting driving guards. Kyle has been great all year, UVA was certainly his worst game, he might even say the worst game he's played in his entire life but that's also a credit to Tony Bennett. No doubt in my kind that Tony game planned strongly for Filipowski knowing the tear he has been on and the potential damage Duke could cause inside. Dariq Whitehead gives them that versatile forward who can shoot and attack off the bounce he just needs game action. He's back now and two bad decisions with the ball aside Saturday, his scoring allowed Duke to take that lead. Mark Mitchell doesn't have the consistent shooting, however he is a warrior/disrupter defensively and averages over 8 a game.

Looking at the guards Jeremy Roach obviously is THE key guy you want on the court for his experience and abilities, he is a terrific attacking guard with excellent quickness. As mentioned earlier you can see what Jon is doing with Proctor/Roach at times in a way that his Coach utilized him and Nolan Smith. Then you have the shooter Grandison and people forget that this guy averaged 41% or higher from 3 at Illinois the last two years and he's only averaging 34% 3-point shooting so far this season for Duke which is another of those "potential" areas of improvement that would really help this team. With Blakes you have a physical guard who is a good defender, if Jon could just get more offense from him that would be a plus.

This is already a top two defensive team in the ACC allowing only 63.2 ppg. Youth, turnovers, discipline, decision making with the ball etc. a number of things that need to continue to improve. Currently Duke is a respectable 17-8 and 8-6 in the league and they are @Notre Dame, @ Cuse, host a very bad Louisville team and a decent Virginia Tech team in their next four games. Duke has a great chance to achieve a 21-8 overrall record and a 12-6 league record the next couple weeks before closing it out hosting a very good NC State team and then @ the K-Dome for the RS finale.

Keep your spirits up with this squad because they are absolutely a very dangerous team at full health that can make a run in both post-season tournaments. They're not going to do it blowing people out, they're going to do it with defense, the question is just how much can they improve on some of the issues as they have a great opportunity here the next four ball games and I'm sure the staff knows it.

Thoughts? am I preaching to the choir or could some of our folks use a little uplifting message?

Last edited:
The problem is we are never, ever at full strength. As soon as we are someone else gets hurt. It's Monday, man.

I know, the injury bug has really been bad for Duke over the years. This year alone has seen several different players miss games including Jeremy roach not too long ago. Unfortunately, that’s just a luck thing and you hope that at least at the end of the season you can have all of your guns blazing like last year. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Losing Zion for what half an ACC season? Losing Kyrie for all but 11 games. Losing Brand for an entire ACC regular season sans the last couple games. (He returned to be the hero of the Carolina win in 1998 helping Duke become the first team in league history to win 15 regular season conference games) Carlos Boozer on Battier’s senior night. Now that one was absolutely devastating. ( I hit some kind of bottle that night 22 years ago thinking it was all over like so many of us did only to see the exact opposite.)

2016-2017 for me may be the most absurd of the injury bug. Remember at one point every one of those freshman was out, including Jayson Tatum? And then Amile Jefferson had been out, came back and got hurt first game back and damn was out more games.

There is no question that Duke has lost several regular season first place finishes in the ACC over the years because of injuries and quite probably at least one National Title. Even if you got the injured players back for post-season you might’ve been seeded in a different region had the regular season been stronger which could have led to a better tournament outcome. It is what it is.

I try to counter by reminding myself of things like Gordon Haywards last two shots not going in, Laettner’s two improbable elite 8 game winning shots, Hurley’s 3-pointer vs Vegas, etc.

Last edited:
I don't post anywhere as much as I used to but this Devils Illustrated HOF'er doesn't blow smoke with proclamations like this unless I truly believe it. Don't be down about Saturday as these kids wanted that game badly and they fought hard and should have won it. Had the correct call been made (as the ACC has stated it should have been) then one free throw wins the game. They're not going to finish first or maybe even top 4 and they're unranked right now which will have them off the local and national radar but that's fine. They're ridiculously young and have taken their lumps, Jon has not had his full roster of players for most of the season which only increases the learning curve and it's no secret on what they have to improve on. A big one being the damn turnovers. We can already see subtle changes taking place that could make a big difference later. I like having Proctor take a larger role in ball-handling duties which not only frees up Jeremy to be that attacking guard with his quickness, it allows Procter with his height and ability to read situations to make plays himself or find open guys. That mid-range jumper he has utilized quite a bit is a good example. The dunk he had off the bounce the other night was sensational, and I thought for sure UVA had it almost stripped before he made the one handed throw down. As the announcers love to remind us, that kid could still be in high school.

Lively/Fillipowski/Young are an excellent quartet of bigs. We saw what Lively did to Carolina, effectively owning the interior on the defensive end whether it was slowing down Bacot or swatting driving guards. Kyle has been great all year, UVA was certainly his worst game, he might even say the worst game he's played in his entire life but that's also a credit to Tony Bennett. No doubt in my kind that Tony game planned strongly for Filipowski knowing the tear he has been on and the potential damage Duke could cause inside. Dariq Whitehead gives them that versatile forward who can shoot and attack off the bounce he just needs game action. He's back now and two bad decisions with the ball aside Saturday, his scoring allowed Duke to take that lead. Mark Mitchell doesn't have the consistent shooting, however he is a warrior/disrupter defensively and averages over 8 a game.

Looking at the guards Jeremy Roach obviously is THE key guy you want on the court for his experience and abilities, he is a terrific attacking guard with excellent quickness. As mentioned earlier you can see what Jon is doing with Proctor/Roach at times in a way that his Coach utilized him and Nolan Smith. Then you have the shooter Grandison and people forget that this kid averaged 41% or higher from 3 at Illinois the last two years and he's only averaging 34% 3-point shooting so far this season for Duke which is another of those "potential" areas of improvement that would really help this team. With Blakes you have a physical guard who is a good defender, if Jon could just get more offense from him that would be a plus.

This is already a top two defensive team in the ACC allowing only 63.2 ppg. Youth, turnovers, discipline, decision making with the ball etc. a number of things that need to continue to improve. Currently Duke is a respectable 17-8 and 8-6 in the league and they are @Notre Dame, @ Cuse, host a very bad Louisville team and a decent Virginia Tech team in their next four games. Duke has a great chance to achieve a 21-8 overrall record and a 12-6 league record the next couple weeks before closing it out hosting a very good NC State team and then @ the K-Dome for the RS finale.

Keep your spirits up with this squad because they are absolutely a very dangerous team at full health that can make a run in both post-season tournaments. They're not going to do it blowing people out, they're going to do it with defense, the question is just how much can they improve on some of the issues as they have a great opportunity here the next four ball games and I'm sure the staff knows it.

Thoughts? am I preaching to the choir or could some of our folks use a little uplifting message?
I’m with you bro. I’m an optimist. I think Fran Fracilla (during the Miami game) said this Duke team on a neutral court could be dangerous and I agree. We could go on a 2022 UNC type run and it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Wouldn’t that be nice to see. With so much adversity and bad luck this team has faced this season, I feel the Basketball Gods will start rewarding us soon.

latest CBS mock draft has Flip at 13, Whitehead at 19 and Lively at 28.

I like the depth on this team. This bodes well for the ACC tourney. I agree the injury bug cost Duke three games. All this team has to do is cut down on turn overs and they are as good as any team in the country

I wish I could agree but I can’t.

We can win one ncaa tourney game, maybe two, but that’s it.

I think assuming anything in a game of basketball played by 18 and 19 year olds is far fetched. We have no idea what could happen. If I was a betting man, I’d say we go out in the round of 32. But we could make the final four with some luck and some shot making.

From what I've seen this looks like a first weekend team, esp. as we won't be a top 4 seed like we usually are. I think this team could beat anyone but also lose to anyone, so who knows. Our scoring droughts will likely be our downfall.

latest CBS mock draft has Flip at 13, Whitehead at 19 and Lively at 28.
Saw that so I went and checked six draft boards.(cbs,nbadraft room, 24/7, NBADRAFT.net and Bleecherreports)
Two have flip at 13 and 14, two at 21 and 27, one has him going 34 early second round and 24/7 has him going in the second round as well. Too early to tell but I don’t see him in the lottery definitely anywhere from 17-30 though.

Reactions: christophero
Wow if Flip drops to second round he could come back. Be nice to have Flip, Mitchell and Roach back. My guess is Flip and Lively go in the 20's. Whitehead I have no idea, but he looked good yesterday.

Last edited:
Still a lot of games left, the postseason, then the combine. My guess is Flips draft projection changes another 10 times before May.

Here’s what will happen. Him, Lively, and Whitehead will leave. Even if they aren’t projected first rounders. I’d bet just about anything Whitehead goes top 20, even if he doesn’t do squat the rest of the season. His body and shooting will look incredible in workouts. He has shown the ability to do 2 things: make open 3’s and defend. And those are the 2 most important things teams are looking for outside of the top few picks.

Reactions: sheyduke
Still a lot of games left, the postseason, then the combine. My guess is Flips draft projection changes another 10 times before May.

Here’s what will happen. Him, Lively, and Whitehead will leave. Even if they aren’t projected first rounders. I’d bet just about anything Whitehead goes top 20, even if he doesn’t do squat the rest of the season. His body and shooting will look incredible in workouts. He has shown the ability to do 2 things: make open 3’s and defend. And those are the 2 most important things teams are looking for outside of the top few picks.
I agree with this . 3 and D wings are hard to come by in the league . Lively I think is gone . Flip , you really don’t know but I’m in the camp he’s gone . Could he shock everyone ? Sure could there are kinks in his game that need adjusting but he can do the same in the league . Really don’t know about Proctor or Mitchell. Another year would do wonders for Proctor and Mitchell but I think one of them goes both test the waters.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
I would not want to play Duke 1st round, second round , sweet sixteen, great eight, final four or championshio game. OFC

My question is, if Duke played Duke, which Duke team would have 20 turnovers? And would we be happy because we created 20 turnovers on defense, or unhappy with all the turnovers?

OK, I may have drunk too much wine after the Cuse game last night.

Agreed.

It’s definitely all relative to who you play in the tourney though. As of now, we would be floating around playing a Rutgers/Arky/Ok St type of team. Rutgers is an extremely dangerous matchup. Plus a lot depends on location (Zona as a 5 on the west coast in the past, South Carolina as our 7 seed in the Tatum year, etc). Then of course who you get in the next round. I’d like our chances but would still hate to see a team like Zona on the west coast in the rnd of 32 given how subpar we are on the road.

That said, I think our elite defensive ability is going to allow our offense to catch up. In my eyes, if we are able to play a non-P5 type team as our first round opponent, it would really bode well for us to overwhelm them b/c they wouldn’t be used to seeing a defense like ours.

The team that I personally think could catch fire, as unpopular as this might be and I hope they don’t even make the tourney, is UK. Cal usually has them playing good D and they are starting to see how Wallace is such a high-IQ player. They’ve been trash with game prep as a whole but if they can continue to figure it out - will be tough.

Reactions: christophero
Being an 8 seed you have a difficult first round match up. I would like to see us move up. Not the usual cupcake first round game. We could get Rutgers, Maryland or Arkansas.

Reactions: Friction.
As long as Duke improves on last night they are headed in the right direction.
Whitehead didn’t want to come out the game and the ball movement was good .

Still the turnovers( although a lot were not forced by the defense ) rather lazy passes and still to much dribbling by the bigs . All fix able . I wouldn’t want to see Duke in the tourney especially with our Defense and cut back on turn overs . But most of all especially healthy .

Reactions: Friction.
If we can go 3-1 and then not lose our first game of the ACC tournament a 5/6 seed is possible. Probably 6 as we'd have 10 losses.

Y’all remember the 2013-14 Kentucky team? Went into the NCAA tournament as an 8th seed with 10 losses, not ranked?

This team is giving me those feels. Very dangerous team. Whitehead is looking naaaaaaasty.

That UK team made it to the Title game, lost to UCONN.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
If we can go 3-1 and then not lose our first game of the ACC tournament a 5/6 seed is possible. Probably 6 as we'd have 10 losses.
Stop with the seeding . This team is an eight seed at best and nothing wrong with that .

Reactions: jamsession3
I don’t think they are title contenders by any means. But in reality Duke should be 21-6 (at worst 20-7) but for two separate, unconscionable rules misinterpretations by the officials at the end of two games.

With Whitehead shooting like he is and playing at full health, and the team maturing into their roles, Duke could win their next 3 or 4 games and can make a dent in the ACC tourney and could get to a 4 seed. I can see a sweet 16 run.

But they just don’t have the perimeter quickness to deal with better teams and contend against the best.

Reactions: jamsession3
I don’t think they are title contenders by any means. But in reality Duke should be 21-6 (at worst 20-7) but for two separate, unconscionable rules misinterpretations by the officials at the end of two games.

With Whitehead shooting like he is and playing at full health, and the team maturing into their roles, Duke could win their next 3 or 4 games and can make a dent in the ACC tourney and could get to a 4 seed. I can see a sweet 16 run.

But they just don’t have the perimeter quickness to deal with better teams and contend against the best.
You want this team healthy going into the last week in February.

I trust Jon and coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments. This is about acknowledging our challenges and playing to our strengths.

Reactions: sheyduke
Duke is blowing teams out of the gym even last night Duke took the foot off of the pedal. If this trend continues then a 5 seed is possible. I like Duke’s chances in the ACCT because they can go 9 deep

Reactions: Duke Blu
Crazy to think that had we gotten the deserved W against UVA, we would be in 5 seed land and fighting to get to a 4 or hell even a 3.
For this team to get past the Sweet 16….
1. Must stay healthy, we aren’t talented enough to survive without one of our key guys.
2. Lively continues to play hard and stay out of foul trouble.
3. Grandison continues to come in and make shots.
4. This team goes with Proctor and Roach. They absolutely cannot have a combined terrible game like they have a few times this year.
5. Whitehead keeps scoring and Mitchell continues to do Mitchell things.

Agree on your points Dan. Also, we need to get after 50-50 balls on the floor and on the boards. Too many loose rebounds and loose balls get away from us and that's not Duke basketball.

I loved seeing Whitehead take the ball to the basket last night. They'll start going in I'm sure and he'll get to the foul like.

I'm still not convinced this team can beat 3-4 good teams in a row to make a run. But we handled business and beat the 3 teams we are supposed to beat. We will be lower seeded than usual, so it will be a challenging first weekend. If our backcourt shoots badly we will be sent packing. But it's been a good week.

Last edited:
I'm still not convinced this team can be 3-4 good teams in a row to make a run. But we handled business and beat the 3 teams we are supposed to beat. We will be lower seeded than usual, so it will be a challenging first weekend. If our backcourt shoots badly we will be sent packing. But it's been a good week.
May not need to beat 4 good teams in a row this tournament. The field is wide open this year, I’d expect upsets galore. With some bracket luck and the top seeded teams in our bracket getting upset, we could cruise. Just need to take care of our own business and beat the teams in front of us.

Perhaps. I try not to get too high or low. A 3 game win streak is nice, but 2 were at home and none of those teams will be in the tournament. I'd be happy winning two of our last 3. We do seem to be improving.

Duke is blowing teams out of the gym even last night Duke took the foot off of the pedal. If this trend continues then a 5 seed is possible. I like Duke’s chances in the ACCT because they can go 9 deep
Huh? They blew out Syracuse and Louisville but I wouldn’t say they are blowing teams out the gym . Taking their foot off the pedal seems to be a reoccurring thing with this team .

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT