ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Parker's loss a big blow as our kicking game had really solidified. Really not worried so much about Johnson leaving. The pass protection for Jones was awful this year, and Johnson had adequate talent to work with. We can get a better O Line coach!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
so two huge things today. austin parker our punter/field goal kicker dismissed for academic reasons and OL coach marcus johnson hired to miss state. ouch!!!!!!!!!

Hate to lose our coach. Did not Parker understand the academic requirements. OFC

Hate to lose our coach. Did not Parker understand the academic requirements. OFC

Duke University can do better in an O-LINE coach than Marques Johnson. The poor pass protection was partially to blame for Daniel Jones slide at qb this year.

My guess is Parker knew the academic requirements and just didnt apply himself fully and/or tried to take shortcuts. I noticed he can apply to become eligible to return to school later, but will not be allowed to return to the team.

OFC

I am concerned with the recent instability of dismissals, suspensions, and decommits - leads to disarray if not addressed properly.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I am concerned with the recent instability of dismissals, suspensions, and decommits - leads to disarray if not addressed properly.
I for one a like the fact we hold our players responsible for their actions.Big difference from our friends a few miles down the road.How many of their players have skated for many serious crimes and we damn sure know they don’t go to class

i dont disagree that we can find a better OL coach. the downside to this is that this weekend is our huge visit weekend where all our recruits are in town plus 3 uncommitted guys we are looking for our OT slots. i am just scared that we bring back the other roper.

i dont disagree that we can find a better OL coach. the downside to this is that this weekend is our huge visit weekend where all our recruits are in town plus 3 uncommitted guys we are looking for our OT slots. i am just scared that we bring back the other roper.

I agree about the TIMING per the uncommitted OT's. It would be nice if they knew who the LINE coach was going to be.

Heres hoping they are sold enough on Cut, the school in general, the program, etc where we are successful in securing them. Johnson needed to be gone though, we've obviously taken a dropoff since Latina "retired" so to speak.

Certainly it is a big weekend. We dont need any more decommits....

OFC

I for one a like the fact we hold our players responsible for their actions.Big difference from our friends a few miles down the road.How many of their players have skated for many serious crimes and we damn sure know they don’t go to class

Good point Topps. Cut does take swift disciplinary action w/horseplay and I am glad as opposed to UNC, where 2 starters in the secondary shouldnt be allowed on the field. (Thats another matter though).

The decommits are a concern however. Its the 2nd consecutive year we've lost a highly ranked hs senior. Qb last year (5 star) and a 4 star db just this week. At Duke those are precious and hopefully we can do better hanging on to the blue chippers.

OFC

We may well bring back Kurt Roper, and he would be an UPGRADE over younger brother Zac. I agree Kurt's not a mastermind, but Cut's big on networking w/his "good ol boy" system.

Ideally Cut would go outside the box like he did w/D-LINE coach Ben Albert, one of his best ever hires. I dont see it happening though.

OFC

bang bang. new commit. tony davis 6' 1.5'' CB from gastonia hunter huss. really good kid who was starting to draw lots of interest from big time programs for their 2019 class. good pick up.

Reactions: dbav and skysdad
bang bang. new commit. tony davis 6' 1.5'' CB from gastonia hunter huss. really good kid who was starting to draw lots of interest from big time programs for their 2019 class. good pick up.

This kid can play. Had a chance to cover his game vs Crest this year. As a matter of fact, Duke was at that game watching him and some of the Crest players.

Good point Topps. Cut does take swift disciplinary action w/horseplay and I am glad as opposed to UNC, where 2 starters in the secondary shouldnt be allowed on the field. (Thats another matter though).

The decommits are a concern however. Its the 2nd consecutive year we've lost a highly ranked hs senior. Qb last year (5 star) and a 4 star db just this week. At Duke those are precious and hopefully we can do better hanging on to the blue chippers.

OFC

we had a 5 star qb? who?

Jack Sears was actually a VERY HIGHLY RATED 4 STAR Ioliva, beg my pardon. However he would HAVE EASILY been THE MOST highly touted qb in the Cutcliffe Era...OFC

yeah when i saw 5 star i just thought i missed out on something! that would've been amazing. i was mad when we lost him

yeah when i saw 5 star i just thought i missed out on something! that would've been amazing. i was mad when we lost him

Me too brother...Quite honestly I dont think we could have kept him off the field this year during the slump Jones experienced mid-season...

the new early signing period is the 20th thru 22nd of this month. think we are getting everybody committed signed early. the spring signing period is when we get our final 3 to 5 to finish out this class. i think maybe two OT, one CB and one or two best available. also joe giles harris made 2 more second team all american teams. CBS sports and WALTER CAMP both picked him. not bad for a sophomore.

Last edited:
the new early signing period is the 20th thru 22nd of this month. think we are getting everybody committed signed early. the spring signing period is when we get our final 3 to 5 to finish out this class. i think maybe two OT, one CB and one or two best available. also joe giles harris made 2 more second team all american teams. CBS sports and WALTER CAMP both pick him. not bad for a sophomore.

Good info as always Surf! Btw, any news on why LB Tinashe Bere only played in one game this year? Was he re-injured?

Thanks again surfdevil. Wish you would join us on basketball. OFC

Indeed Sky. I follow Duke football closely, but I ALWAYS pick up NEW INFO from Surf...Maybe someday we will get Jobe back as well. Surf has been awesome! OFC

Palmer went from committed to Duke to no interest in Duke according to Devil's Den. I wonder why. He says that the de-commit decision was the result of consultation with his parents. What really happened?

I hate to say it, but with our OC and not knowing the new OL coach, we may not have seen the last decommittment.

Very true....Key is to get as many signed as possible early signing date....Hope Cut names a COMPETENT and EXPERIENCED O-LINE COACH SOON! OFC

dont look for cut to address coaches until after the AFCA coaches convention.which runs from JAN 7 to JAN 10. that has been his standard way. for some reason i think i saw a thread somewhere that tinasha bere is leaving as a grad transfer? i will try to confirm.

^^Yep - Bere tweeted that he is opening his recruitment for immediate eligibility. I hope he gets quality PT at a good program.

dont look for cut to address coaches until after the AFCA coaches convention.which runs from JAN 7 to JAN 10. that has been his standard way. for some reason i think i saw a thread somewhere that tinasha bere is leaving as a grad transfer? i will try to confirm.

Thanks Surf- wow bad news about Bere. I know we're deep at LB, but he was a force last year before he was hurt! Thanks for the coaching scoop as well...OFC

Palmer went from committed to Duke to no interest in Duke according to Devil's Den. I wonder why. He says that the de-commit decision was the result of consultation with his parents. What really happened?

Looks like he wants to be a Wolfpacker.

IDK but he was committed for 14 months to Duke. 2nd straight year we've lost a 4 star.

OFC

bang bang. peace addo from baltimore commits 6' 6'' OT 297 lbs. fills a position of need but i think he is a development type kid. he had committed to MAINE monday but flipped to us this weekend after his visit, he has great size and they play good football there so we will see. think he might impact in junior or senior year. we are still going after a few other OT guys who might impact sooner but as they say ''one in the hand...''

bang bang. peace addo from baltimore commits 6' 6'' OT 297 lbs. fills a position of need but i think he is a development type kid. he had committed to MAINE monday but flipped to us this weekend after his visit, he has great size and they play good football there so we will see. think he might impact in junior or senior year. we are still going after a few other OT guys who might impact sooner but as they say ''one in the hand...''

Nice pickup! Hope we hire a solid O-Line coach surf. I see where Cut is moving TEs and Special Teams Coach Jim Bridge to O-line coach for bowl game, and placing a grad asst in charge of TEs/STs. Hoping this isnt a permanent move. Cut has made some GAs position coaches in the past, and we can do better.

OFC

We have ourselves a Duke football All-American. OFC

Duke Sports Information - Duke redshirt sophomore linebackerJoe Giles-Harrispicked up his fourth All-America accolade Friday, earning third team All-America honors fromPhil Steele Publications, according to an announcement by the organization.

Giles-Harris has been tabbed a second team All-America by theWalter Camp FoundationandCBS Sportsas well as an honorable mention selection byCollege Football News.

A first team All-ACC pick by the league’s coaches andAssociated Press, Giles-Harris leads the Blue Devils in tackles (117) and tackles for loss (15.0) while adding 4.5 sacks, one interception, four pass breakups and seven quarterback pressures.

In 24 career games at Duke, Giles-Harris, the team’s 2017 Carmen Falcone MVP, has amassed 224 tackles, 24.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, two interceptions, one caused fumble, one fumble recovery and 11 quarterback pressures. The 6-2, 230-pound native of Nyack, N.Y., ranks 12th in career tackles for loss per game (1.02) and 14th in solo tackles for loss per game (0.88).

Giles-Harris is the sixth Blue Devil to receive Phil Steele All-America honors. The most recent selections were safetyJeremy Cash(first team) and centerMatt Skura(fourth team) in 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT