ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NC STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

The preseason national #1 is about to finish 7th or 8th in the ACC.

You're not stupid, but you just can't comprehend anything without it specifically being someone's fault. This 'team' just isn't very good. That's the reality. It's not one person.

I'll ask this....would you trash your own kid like that? If not, then why do it to someone else's?
We just look at things differently, which is fine, but calling people who disagree with you 'stupid' is pretty...well, you know.

This is K's responsibility. He's the CEO, so if he gets the credit for the wins, he sure as heck gets the blame for one of the most underachieving seasons in NCAA history.

We'll win out, it will be a story book ending. People will say stuff like, "I knew they had it in them!" and "Tatum = Battier!"

Reactions: DukeDenver
We just look at things differently, which is fine, but calling people who disagree with you 'stupid' is pretty...well, you know.

This is K's responsibility. He's the CEO, so if he gets the credit for the wins, he sure as heck gets the blame for one of the most underachieving seasons in NCAA history.

It's not even disagreeing, though....it's having the capability to look at something rationally. You're more mad I'm not kicking and screaming on the floor like others.

Reactions: skysdad
It's not even disagreeing, though....it's having the capability to look at something rationally. You're more mad I'm not kicking and screaming on the floor like others.

At some point I think this team needs to do a little "kicking and screaming" in anger for being massive underachievers to this point...

OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
The team from the second half of Miami showed up for the first few minutes and then they disappeared. The defense was locked in to start. NC State hit a few contested jumpers but we were in control of the game.

Tatum missed a handful of easy ones around the rim.
Grayson goes 1-9 from 3.
Bolden missed two putback dunks.
14-21 at the line.
That is tough to overcome but it is highly unlikely to happen again anytime soon.
I really thought we ran good offense until really late in the second half. Defense was another story.

As much as Capel help jolt this team with the new lineup, he was the biggest weakness down the stretch IMO. I think K pulls it out at home if he was there. I didn't like some of the substitution patterns and lineup makeup at times either.

With that being said, this team can still go as far as they want to. It's a matter of how far they want to go.

As much as Capel help jolt this team with the new lineup, he was the biggest weakness down the stretch IMO. I think K pulls it out at home if he was there. With that being said, this team can still go as far as they want to. It's a matter of how far they want to go.
Yeah, no way we lose this game with K on the bench. Tough few weeks for Capel - a lot of doubts will be raised about his fit to be HC at Duke.

Re: how far this team can go, honestly at this point seems clear we just don't have the talent we thought we did. Meanwhile, UK, which had much less returning talent than we did, looks like a juggernaut.

Reactions: sobecat
Yeah, no way we lose this game with K on the bench. Tough few weeks for Capel - a lot of doubts will be raised about his fit to be HC at Duke.

Re: how far this team can go, honestly at this point seems clear we just don't have the talent we thought we did. Meanwhile, UK, which had much less returning talent than we did, looks like a juggernaut.
Yea. However Duke won the title in 2015. Meanwhile, UK, which had not lost all year, lost to Wisconsin.

Yea. However Duke won the title in 2015. Meanwhile, UK, which had not lost all year, lost to Wisconsin.
Totally agree on the Title. But other than 2015, we've struggled by Duke standards the past 5 years. There was a pre-season article - SI maybe - that made the case that this year's team was one of those every 2-3 year college teams that combines the perfect mix of top returning talent and a top recruiting class, and of those teams, like 70% made it to the F4 that year. This year we're on the bubble. Even with some injuries, there's no way this season is anything less than an epic fail.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I'm not being blindly loyal. I'm just not saying someone 'sucks' and that pisses you off.

How much more clear do I have to be? Tell me.

I've said this 'team' isn't good. I've said Matt wasn't playing well earlier in the year, but I prefaced it by saying that didn't define him. I've said we miss K. I've said Grayson's antics have pissed me off.

What I haven't done is put the blame all on one person. Like I said, Tatum was awful down the stretch....but he was great the first 30 minutes. Good teams find ways to win despite players having off nights. Grayson was awful tonight too....but we didn't lose because of him, either.

So I ask again....what do you want? Am I not being reactionary enough? Do I need to complain and whine more. Please tell me.

Edit....sorry Mpm....didn't mean to quote you. Just thought I liked your post.
I'm not singling you out. I just think that some fans will defend their players no matter what. I don't think saying a player sucks is appropriate or anything along those lines. However, I think we can be respectful while also saying someone is not a good fit for Duke basketball. We are all entitled to our opinions but I just don't see how Duke fans can say that Tatum fits in with what Duke basketball is all about. Is he a bad kid? No. Is he talented ? Yes. Just not what I have come to know of Duke basketball in the last 25 years. There have been far more talented players to come through Duke that got it from day 1. Why can't he? He is just an inherently selfish basketball player.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I'd kill for Tyler Thornton right now.

You need to look up "epic"

I still marvel at how Thornton navigated us through Sweet 16 game against Mich St in 2013. Tyler settled us down and fed Seth in right spots. TT's best game at Duke IMO.

Reactions: dukiejay
Did anyone else have an ugly flashback to the Arizona tourney game when Smith hit that 3 pointer to end the first half?

Did anyone else have an ugly flashback to the Arizona tourney game when Smith hit that 3 pointer to end the first half?

Yes! And if memory serves that bucket cut it to six as well....It was from virtually same spot on floor...

OFC

when need a floor general a ball handler that can create and puts defenses on guard...we dont have that....all the injuries and k being out and etc....we are still 15-5...we have 11 games left.....gotta go above .500....6 and 5 at worst imo...that would but us at 21-10

when need a floor general a ball handler that can create and puts defenses on guard...we dont have that....all the injuries and k being out and etc....we are still 15-5...we have 11 games left.....gotta go above .500....6 and 5 at worst imo...that would but us at 21-10

Amazing isnt it, we're talking about what this team needs to do to finish with 10 losses....SMH

OFC

I'll be honest....I didn't think of it at the time.

Last night my brother couldn't watch the game live because of a work thing, so he texted me before the game started and told me not to text him because he wouldn't be watching live and would have to watch on delay. When he finished watching the game he texted me right away and said the same thing about Arizona. So you're not the only one.

Right! Some people just don't understand the crap conference they play in. I bet you anything this Duke team would like a juggernaut in that conference. Remember Duke beat the second best team in the SEC by 10 and Duke had a bigger lead than that on them at one point.

You're not stupid, but you just can't comprehend anything without it specifically being someone's fault. This 'team' just isn't very good. That's the reality. It's not one person.

I'll ask this....would you trash your own kid like that? If not, then why do it to someone else's? You can trash all you want....that's fine. But you look stupid doing it.
I'll agree with this. Yes I was hard on Tatum last night. I always tell my parents of teams I coach or help coach..."wait 24 hours before contacting me!" I didn't do that last night. I guess the 2 wide open layups and then the dribble off the foot sent me spinning. Also, I knew that if Duke blew it, which they did, my house would have 2 kids (11 & 7 years old) crying and wailing at the close loss. So you can imagine how my night was. Then the excitement later to find out, that my wife, who is a NCSU alum was cheering for Duke to win and has secretly liked Duke more and more over the years.

Anyways, we still have a slim chance. I'm a gambling man and we split within UNC and make a run to the tourney Finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT