ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS WAKE FOREST OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Duke can string enough games together to make an NCAA run if we can get past the 1st weekend. I worry about a really high seed taking us out early because we are so inconsistent shooting the 3 ball and apt to forget how to play defense and make silly turnovers but we’ve been that way for years it seems. It’s really all about hitting the 3’s and that what our Achilles heel is. Why O’Connell didn’t shoot more baffles me.

.did you see his misses? One brick and an airball

This has been frustrating of late but not sure how this is more frustrating than Austin’s year, jabaris year, tatums year, or bagleys year. Those teams would barely beat a team like wake at home but then go beat a team like uva. I am concerned about the defense though. Too many seasons of bad defense and this one started out well defensively.
Imo the acc was much tough those years. If the bagley team had a legitimate pg they may have won it all, but nova was really good

I get what you are saying and I agree Jav should not be playing, I have said that for awhile. Jack White does little things that win basketball games and the other guys I have mentioned have the ability to score in bunches. I am not saying they should play 20 minutes a game but this team has zero identity and some of that in my opinion is related to the fact that nobody coming off the bench has a role or knows their role.
My problem with both is consistency. Not just this year either. I'm a big fan of leading by example. I would like both to do the little things to win games a little more I guess. His playing time or lack of may just be a confidence thing that they see in practice. I don't have answers, just heartburn, and headaches.

At this point its a search for consistency....outside of Carey inside, we are way too inconsistent on offense. Even playing time for each player is inconsistent. The team isnt settled into any rhythm at all and it shows when pressure is applied. A good, older mid-major is licking its lips to take us out in the NCAA

It’s going to be hard for Virginia to spread us out and drive. They’re not that kind of team. I actually believe we win the final three regular season games and lose in the semis of the ACCT. That likely gets us a 3-seed.

Hope you're right but I think we struggle big time to score against uva

Reactions: germantondevil
I must be thinking about Jack on the other Duke team.
Just to see how K makes little to no sense as the season progresses...

this is Jack White MPG for the season..

19-14-18-21-14-33-29-8-31-22-21-17-12-13-7-22-28-23-18-23-14-9-12-3-9-4-3

Starting with Wake on 1/11 he was 3/5 from three in 22min

Then he was..

3/4
0/3
2/3
2/3
1/2
0/3 And this is where his minutes took a nose dive to 9MPG vs BC
0/1

he’s hardly seen the floor since that game ^ and we started him vs UNC and now he can’t play at all? Makes no sense..

Reactions: youngman42
I think we go into the NCAA’s with 7 losses, one on Saturday and one in the ACC. Not sure where that puts us seed wise I would say either a 3 or 4 this year.

Hope you're right but I think we struggle big time to score against uva

I think they’ll struggle to score as well. I’m not predicting we win comfortably....rather, I think it’s a one or two possession game late. We’ve traditionally done well against Bennett coached teams because of how we match up with them....and on paper, this seems like the biggest personnel advantage in quite some time.

Just to see how K makes little to no sense as the season progresses...

this is Jack White MPG for the season..

19-14-18-21-14-33-29-8-31-22-21-17-12-13-7-22-28-23-18-23-14-9-12-3-9-4-3

Starting with Wake on 1/11 he was 3/5 from three in 22min

Then he was..

3/4
0/3
2/3
2/3
1/2
0/3 And this is where his minutes took a nose dive to 9MPG vs BC
0/1

he’s hardly seen the floor since that game ^ and we started him vs UNC and now he can’t play at all? Makes no sense..

I bet if you charted Baker and Jav and AOC you may see similar randomness...makes it difficult for player and team to get any rhythm. Others seem to get mins despite poor showings

Reactions: pisgah101
Bad thing about Saturdays game is it’s a huge game for UVA and their resume for the big dance. A win over a top 10 Duke team is huge. They will be geeked up to get a win and I don’t think mentally Duke can withstand that kind of a battle right now. Dukes defense is horrendous right now and we have shaved that bench down again. A lot of talent watching now. They got to play against Wake but only because they called 40 some fouls on Duke or close to it

Reactions: pisgah101
I bet if you charted Baker and Jav and AOC you may see similar randomness...makes it difficult for player and team to get any rhythm. Others seem to get mins despite poor showings
Really was my complaint for weeks..the starting lineup kept changing almost every game, and the substitution pattern has become totally random.
Early in the year we didn’t start Goldwire and we subbed him in for Tre and gave him a blow. We used them both in segments but now we just use them together all the time.
There has just been little to no consistency all year for these guys and the way K plays them. Not surprising guys can’t find their flow to me at least.

I just checked the box score and Javin only played 4 minutes before he fouled out. That’s an average of 1 foul every 48 seconds that he was on the court tonight

Reactions: tripleb71
I am still baffled as to why Goldwire starts and plays as much as he does. I just don’t see the defensive juggernaut that he supposedly is and he certainly is not a offensive weapon that teams fear. Yea he hustles his ass off and can be a spark at times but he makes huge mistakes at times when you absolutely don’t need them. There are other options that seems to be a better option

I am still baffled as to why Goldwire starts and plays as much as he does. I just don’t see the defensive juggernaut that he supposedly is and he certainly is not a offensive weapon that teams fear. Yea he hustles his ass off and can be a spark at times but he makes huge mistakes at times when you absolutely don’t need them. There are other options that seems to be a better option

Like who

It's gonna be a good night tonight. Duke is not gonna waste time and mollywhop Wake Forest. State is gonna finally not be useless and stomp the holes in cheater hill. Then Zion and the New Orleans Blue Devils are gonna beat Lebronk and Co. Let's speak it into existence.
0-3

Not having a quality PG to compliment Tre and share some of the on ball pressure is a big hole.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke83
I say we lose at Virginia, lose in the ACCT, and then go home after the second game in the NCAAT. We're so inconsistent (even in games we've won that shouldn't have been close) and I just don't think we have enough pieces. Hope I'm wrong tho .

unfortunately it is hard to say what Duke will do from here on out. Duke is regressing when they are supposed to be playing their best.
I disagree that we're regressing. I think we're staying true to form of the last few of years, which is reaching our ceiling in December while everyone else continues to improve.

I disagree that we're regressing. I think we're staying true to form of the last few of years, which is reaching our ceiling in December while everyone else continues to improve.
This is what frustrates the crap out of me. We’ll beat msu, uk, Kansas early but those teams get better at the end of the season and we regress like clock work.

If something’s does not change in a hurry, Duke will lose to either State or UNCheat at Cameron and I can’t stomach that thought at all. I really believe that Saturday’s game will answer a lot of questions and concerns. If this game tonight does not light a fire then your damn woods wet and it’s game over.

If something’s does not change in a hurry, Duke will lose to either State or UNCheat at Cameron and I can’t stomach that thought at all. I really believe that Saturday’s game will answer a lot of questions and concerns. If this game tonight does not light a fire then your damn woods wet and it’s game over.
State shoulda lit a fire under us, it lasted one game

How can NCst not be a warning that was heeded? This team just does not seem to have the mentality to jump on teams who are inferior. We have been behind in most games to inferior opposition. Just a head scratcher to see this type of performance given how many times its happened...showed correction then just reverts back to this.
It's very simple and K has said so we are not that good. A good team is consistent and this team has not shown it and has obvious weaknesses

This is what frustrates the crap out of me. We’ll beat msu, uk, Kansas early but those teams get better at the end of the season and we regress like clock work.
Even last years team never really improved. They stayed the same all year. The only reason they made the elite 8 was because we had the best player in the universe and 2 other lottery picks. If that team would have improved any they would have won every game in the tournament by huge numbers. That team had potential to be the best college team ever,,but,,,,,well we don’t have to go back.

It's very simple and K has said so we are not that good. A good team is consistent and this team has not shown it and has obvious weaknesses
K can say we are not that good all he wants but I don’t think he has done much coaching after December. Zero adjustments and his end of game stuff he draws up is just a ball screen. I am sure I will catch hell for saying that but oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT