ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Wake V2

Wake was not even in the tourney on Lunardi's final 68 going into this game. By any measure, that is not a VERY good team. If they were in the SEC, they would be lucky to be 10th in the standings. If Duke is FF or even elite 8 material, they beat that team by 10+ in a tight game early but then pull away.

No telling how many times I've read, "We'll be fine," the past 20 years or more only to see us crash and burn in the first or 2nd round.

Duke has some talent for sure, but they are a flawed team. Aside from Flip there is no consistent inside game - and he doesn't play inside enough! - neither Mitchell nor Young have legit offensive talent. Mitchell disappears all the time. He played 28 minutes and had 4 rebounds! For a PF. And the vet guards did not show poise in a tight game.

Further, Duke only plays 7 players. That won't cut it, either. The exact same problem that has plagued Duke 95% of their seasons over the last 20+ years.

Duke really needed to land veteran players in the portal of the caliber of Harrison Ingram and Cormac Ryan if they wanted to compete for a title this year. As great a recruiter of high school players as Scheyer has been, he's been just as bad in the portal.
Wake is really good at home. I wish Stewart had seen more playing time Carr was bad matchup for Mitchell

The only 3 potential sweet 16 teams Duke lost to were Arizona in early November, @Unc, and @ Wake. The tournament is about matchups, the ACC always delivers in the ncaa tournament. I saw a stat the other night that the ACC has won the most ncaa tournament games in the last couple of seasons even though they didn’t have as many bids as the other conferences. I for one wouldn’t be surprised if Clemson, Michigan State, or Wake make the Sweet 16. Factor in the games against Arizona and Unc (Duke gets another shot against them in a couple weeks).

Duke is: 4-3 against the likes of Michigan State, Baylor, Clemson, and Wake. Michigan State and Baylor can definitely get to the sweet 16. Clemson and Wake with the right matchups in the first 2 rounds can get there too.
If we are healthy, this will be the best 3 point shooting team that we’ve had going into the tournament in a while. The games that we’ve lost to in the past got behind the 3 pt line against us.

Wake has a really poor road record. They might need one more quality win to get in. They'd be in today, but cannot afford many more losses.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Definition of insanity....we didnt change up anything to stop Sallis so the result is on our coaches and players effort on the defensive end. Everyone knew he was the key yet we didnt seem to have any game plan to limit his shots...but chapeau to Wake for understanding that and feeding him the ball. We have great shooters too who can get hot but for some reason we have players who feel the need to take shots they shouldnt. These become TO's basically. ....These road games are tough because its the home teams superbowl every time...so we have to be better in every aspect of the game. We lacked that today but only by a small margin...but small margins win these games...onto the next one

Once again, never said anyone wished he got hurt. Point to where that was said.

The kid has got beat up all year on here and the court, so now we will see this team without him.

Please point to where I said anyone wanted him hurt...I'll wait
You said “they got their wish”, I assume you meant that critics didn’t want him playing anymore. Other than suspension, if he’s not playing anymore, chances are he’s hurt so it’s understandable people took it that way

Reactions: Mac9192
Flip had a good game; but he was 1-6 from 3. Why is he taking 6 three pointers? It's happened many times before. I'd rather McCain or Roach take those. It seems like something that can be corrected. Him taking 2 is fine. They discussed this on Timo's podcast.
As the announcers pointed out, good things happen when Flip touches the ball in the post. He’s good at finding the open man, and he may even grab a rebound or two Id have liked to have seen him develop more of a post game, but I’d better stop before someone accuses me of being glad he’s hurt

Reactions: christophero
You said “they got their wish”, I assume you meant that critics didn’t want him playing anymore. Other than suspension, if he’s not playing anymore, chances are he’s hurt so it’s understandable people took it that way
yeah I worded it wrong, which I've said a few times. Kid has been getting crushed all year and seeing him out of the lineup is a harsh reality. It just gets old with the criticism of the kid.

Wake was not even in the tourney on Lunardi's final 68 going into this game. By any measure, that is not a VERY good team.
Kenpom over Lunardi 100 times out of 100. If you aren't familiar with Kenpom, you should be. If your definition of very good is just the top 15, then in your head you're probably right.

No telling how many times I've read, "We'll be fine," the past 20 years or more only to see us crash and burn in the first or 2nd round.
I actually agree with some of the criticism you have about our team (particularly our depth). But this line here is a terrible take. I won't get into the statistics of how Duke has done over the last 20 years in comparison to the rest of the country, but as you might expect, we've been "VERY good." I have really high expectations too, and I despise losing, but I think you're getting too caught up in the emotion of today's loss.

A four point loss on the road to the number three team in the ACC doesn’t bother me too much. We had the ball in hand to tie or win the game on the last possession. What does disappoint me is the way we finished both halves. It’s hard to win a close game the way we ended those halves…..especially at the end with Roach and Proctor both making poor plays.

Still, let’s win out in the ACC regular season and have a solid performance in the ACC tourney. Get into the NCAA with a 2 or 3 seed and let’s see what we can do.

Scheyer boasts about Duke almost winning despite Wake shooting 70% in the second half. My reponse to that is "where was our defense which was supposed to be the backbone of this team?" Scheyer did not say a word about Duke's defense with good reason. A good defensive team just does not allow a lesser, or even equal, or any, team shoot 70% in the closing half. Scheyer should have offered reasons for the obvious defensive letdown rather than brushing over it in his comments.

OFC

The recipe was there for a loss.

Sallis’s shooting in the first half ( especially how open he was) was just unreal . He could not miss.
In the second half Wake came alive . They attacked Mitchell just about every play down and could not do anything with Wake’s other big and then the three’s began falling .

Still in the end it was Dukes four turnovers that cost them . They were still very much in it until those possessions . Duke lack of depth is what hurts this team in the front and back court .

Sallis’s shooting in the first half ( especially how open he was) was just unreal . He could not miss.
In the second half Wake came alive . They attacked Mitchell just about every play down and could not do anything with Wake’s other big and then the three’s began falling .

Still in the end it was Dukes four turnovers that cost them . They were still very much in it until those possessions . Duke lack of depth is what hurts this team in the front and back court .

Re: Sallis' shooting... it's unreal how often players from other teams play out of their minds against us but crap the bed against the Cheats.

Agree with your post, except for the lack of depth comment in the back court. Our lack of depth in the front court is our Achilles heel. I was surprised at how Roach and Proctor killed us during our last three possessions.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Scheyer boasts about Duke almost winning despite Wake shooting 70% in the second half. My reponse to that is "where was our defense which was supposed to be the backbone of this team?" Scheyer did not say a word about Duke's defense with good reason. A good defensive team just does not allow a lesser, or even equal, or any, team shoot 70% in the closing half. Scheyer should have offered reasons for the obvious defensive letdown rather than brushing over it in his comments.

OFC
Devil, it might be that Jon didn’t want to throw any negative comments publicly about the defense his team played. He praised Wake, then spoke about the court storming, and rightfully so.

I would like to think he will address the team (in private) that Wake shot 70% in the 2nd half. It is hard to win if the other team shoots that well, and I agree, some of that has to be due to the lack of defense.

Devil, it might be that Jon didn’t want to throw any negative comments publicly about the defense his team played. He praised Wake, then spoke about the court storming, and rightfully so.

I would like to think he will address the team (in private) that Wake shot 70% in the 2nd half. It is hard to win if the other team shoots that well, and I agree, some of that has to be due to the lack of defense.
He has publicly addressed defensive shortcomings in the past. OFC

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Kenpom over Lunardi 100 times out of 100. If you aren't familiar with Kenpom, you should be. If your definition of very good is just the top 15, then in your head you're probably right.

I actually agree with some of the criticism you have about our team (particularly our depth). But this line here is a terrible take. I won't get into the statistics of how Duke has done over the last 20 years in comparison to the rest of the country, but as you might expect, we've been "VERY good." I have really high expectations too, and I despise losing, but I think you're getting too caught up in the emotion of today's loss.

Youngman is a kentucky fan trolling the Duke board.

Yesterday is over, I still really like this season’s Duke Team. I am confident they can win against any team they face.

There’s not another 9, I would rather support other than:

Proctor
Roach
McCain
Mitchell
Flip
Foster
Young
Stewart
Blakes

The ACC is The Premier Conference in all of Men’s College Basketball. NCAA Tournament results prove that year in and year out.

Meanwhile the majority of teams from the other power 5 conferences are no where to be seen from the Sweet 16 round and beyond.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Re-watching the game, the lineup with Ryan Young was better defensively because Mitchell was getting abused in the post in the second half (although he held his ground on the last Wake possession). Young getting those two cheap fouls in the second half was the difference. He had to have been smarter with those 3 fouls. If we see Wake again, I think the staff have found a matchup they can exploit. Also, Wake won’t shoot that good again. They haven’t shot well away from home against quality competition all season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT