ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Wake

Flip drew 8 fouls, maybe calls on Reid were iffy but the refs also missed a couple on him as well. Flip also isn't 7'2". If you're frustrated with Flip after that game then you probably will never be happy with Flip. Only thing I wouldn't blame for nitpicking is the 3 point shooting, but I'm fine with him taking those open looks still
Reid's 6th foul was definitely iffy.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Without Flip our frontcourt would be Young and Stewart. So yes I appreciate Flip. I also wonder if he would have come back knowing he would have to play the 5 all year. He looks frustrated. When Mitchell plays well it takes some pressure off Flip.
He gets to play all over the court. Getting this experience will help him down the road. He made the right move coming back.

A solid win, one that we had to have. Still waiting for this team to blow the doors off someone in Cameron, but at this point we probably are what we are. I don’t understand why we don’t try to force more turnovers. We’re small, teams can hurt us inside, we should be getting more steals and easy transition baskets.

Really need to go at least 2-1 over this 3 game road stretch to stay in arms length of a 2 or 3 seed in the tournament.

Flip taking a beating here. What's Duke's record without him? Nowhere near 19-5. Would probably be hovering around 0.500.
He's been taking a beating all year, GAAP. Both on the court and on this board!

I thought flip was awesome last night despite the obvious struggles. He’s playing hard. I never understood the disinterested comments, he’s just struggling mentally but he does care

Flip drew 8 fouls, maybe calls on Reid were iffy but the refs also missed a couple on him as well. Flip also isn't 7'2". If you're frustrated with Flip after that game then you probably will never be happy with Flip. Only thing I wouldn't blame for nitpicking is the 3 point shooting, but I'm fine with him taking those open looks still
Flip is always being said to be a seven footer but at 6’11” that’s still only three inches off . I’m not frustrated with flip simply his play against quality bigs ( not even true centers ).

And Flip is todays prototype big in todays game never called him a center simply a big . Not sure you classify him as a stretch four either due to his mid range game not being so effective . We will see if he continues to play well .

Without Flip our frontcourt would be Young and Stewart. So yes I appreciate Flip. I also wonder if he would have come back knowing he would have to play the 5 all year. He looks frustrated. When Mitchell plays well it takes some pressure off Flip.
I mentioned this earlier about him coming back thinking he would have at least both Reeves and Young to play the five leaving him at the four .
Kid isn’t hearing nothing on this board that scouts and analyst aren’t saying on national tv .

Reactions: christophero
Good game - the good double double scoring and rebounding- the bad 4 turnovers 16 percent from 3 and foul shooting. It was improvement from past few games.

To be fair our guards were very careless with the basketball last night just like they were at Unc. Those lackadaisical passes were frustrating to watch.

For those saying Flip doesn’t play hard, I watched him in Chicago, Atlanta, and South Bend earlier this season, the statements that he does not play hard are simply not true. It looked like from my seats (100 level) he was giving great effort on both ends of the court all 3 games.

Shedrick is not starting for Texas. Averaging 8ppg playing 10 to 15 minutes a game lately. He is a role player, just what we needed.

Shedrick, the big from Dayton, and Adams were all targeted and for one reason or another whether it be academics or something else (maybe timo has intel) they did not want to come to Duke.

To each their own, but I am glad Flip returned for his Sophomore season. I rather have a Sophomore Flip than the 3 Centers Duke was targeting. I think Jahlil Okafor was the last center, Duke made it a point to have highly involved with the offense, maybe the big from Dayton would have been a focal point on the offense, but Shedrick and Adams are solely role players.

Reactions: sheyduke
I'm surprised Flip doesn't have a mid range game..a 10 to 15 for jumper. It seems it's either a 3 point shot or a drive to the basket. Regardless we all know we need him out there. Ryan can give us some minutes but it's all about the matchup for him.
Here's a clip I found on Twitter of Flip last night on how well he played on the defensive end.

Shedrick, the big from Dayton, and Adams were all targeted and for one reason or another whether it be academics or something else (maybe timo has intel) they did not want to come to Duke.

To each their own, but I am glad Flip returned for his Sophomore season. I rather have a Sophomore Flip than the 3 Centers Duke was targeting. I think Jahlil Okafor was the last center, Duke made it a point to have highly involved with the offense, maybe the big from Dayton would have been a focal point on the offense, but Shedrick and Adams are solely role players.
Yup. I will say don't forget about Big Vern. He is easy to forget but was awesome his freshman year.

I would rather have Flip and Shedrick. That's how you cut the nets down. :)
Shedrick the Entertainer -- the savior of college hoops. He'll deliver you to the Promised Land. Shocked he doesn't get more PT at Texas. Maybe he'll transfer again. Gotta be worth at least $1-2 million in NIL. :rolleyes:

They didn’t want to come because of playing time.. come on now
We had a starting center position available. Not many portal 5’s (outside of Holmes) would have come here and gotten 25+ mpg, but we had a starting position to fill, which never happens at Duke for a transfer.

I’d love to know the reason we didn’t land a transfer C, academics? Playing time? Flip? Shedrick for example would get as many minutes at Duke as he is at Texas, so not sure I buy playing time as an excuse.

Ultimately….not bringing in another center will be why this Duke team falls in March IMO, we’re too small and don’t force enough turnovers to compensate for our lack of size.

Reactions: christophero
We had a starting center position available. Not many portal 5’s (outside of Holmes) would have come here and gotten 25+ mpg, but we had a starting position to fill, which never happens at Duke for a transfer.

I’d love to know the reason we didn’t land a transfer C, academics? Playing time? Flip? Shedrick for example would get as many minutes at Duke as he is at Texas, so not sure I buy playing time as an excuse.

Ultimately….not bringing in another center will be why this Duke team falls in March IMO, we’re too small and don’t force enough turnovers to compensate for our lack of size.
Shedrick wanted Duke . I think the staff saw him being the same type of player as Young.

I think it was Udoh (might have his name wrong ) had the same issue as Love at Michigan . The kid from Dayton was never leaving there .

You have to remember many thought Reeves would also help off the bench this year along with Stewart .

Mgbako left , imo because he did not want to compete for his starting spot at sf/pf even though he would have been Dukes starting 3 the minute Reeves went down and Mitchell moved to the four .

Shedrick wanted Duke . I think the staff saw him being the same type of player as Young.

I think it was Udoh (might have his name wrong ) had the same issue as Love at Michigan . The kid from Dayton was never leaving there .

You have to remember many thought Reeves would also help off the bench this year along with Stewart .

Mgbako left , imo because he did not want to compete for his starting spot at sf/pf even though he would have been Dukes starting 3 the minute Reeves went down and Mitchell moved to the four .
Agree with all of this. I do believe the centers that Duke wanted, had issues with all of their credits transferring in. I don't think it was an issue being accepted into the school, but not all credits being allowed. But I could be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT