ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Wake

Both teams shot poorly from 3....Roach should handle the ball more, and McCain should be given the ball as a shooter..but I doubt we change anything and these games will continue to be frustrating since we struggle to put teams away that we should.Onto the next one

Proctor is a conundrum and this team isn’t going far without him.

He hasn’t been good and most times you wouldn’t even know he’s on the floor.

Such high hopes for him….

Reactions: sheyduke
Seems like Proctor could legitimately come back for a junior year. It he gets drafted, it's because he's a 6'4-6'5 guard and someone's betting on his potential

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
It's unfortunate. It seems he is pressing at times. And if his shot isn't falling early he tends to disappear.
We really need someone that can penetrate and break down a defense and create for others.

He isn’t doing that even remotely. Hes just a stand still shooter right now.

Roach and Foster showed you what could happen the last five minutes with someone that is doing that.

The Negatives:

1) Ugly first 24 minutes of the game

2) The careless turnovers mainly by the guards, it was frustrating watching them be so careless with the basketball, it was a mirror image of the game at unc

3) Flip’s free throw shooting

4) Proctor’s play

The Positives:

1) Coach Scheyer made the halftime adjustments and kept having the offense run though Mitchell (Wake had no one who could guard him)

2) Flip played Great! Cory Alexander even made a comment during the game which I have been saying for the time Flip has played for Duke, “Flip is an underrated defender.”

3) McCain continues his Strong Play

4) Duke protected home court these last 3 games and got a win over a team who has the 2nd highest offensive efficiency in the ACC and a team who is fighting for a NCAA Tournament bid.

If the Blue Devils could all follow the energy and tone Mitchell sets it would be great. Duke needs to stop with the slow starts in games and be ready to go from the opening tip! Hoping Proctor is ready to go before Saturday.

Tough 3 game road trip is on the horizon, just take it one game at a time Blue Devils, continue to evolve and win!

Even with Proctor's struggles hard to see him falling past early 2nd round. Too much upside. But we need him now.

The kid played a damn good game. The pressure on him is to play defense like Hakeem and offense like Duncan.
The kid played a good game once Reid and the other big got in foul trouble ! I watched him walk up the court on defense . Sorry but there was a reason Bacot hit 23 on him and he can’t guard in the post with out a secondary defender .
This was also the reason JWill and Seth were asking how your the preseason ACC player of the year and an all American candidate if you stay on the perimeter. He didn’t go into the post until after Reid got his third and the other guy . I’m not asking him to be Hakeem I’m asking him to play tall against someone other than a guard ! He’s 7’2” for Christ sakes .

Last edited:
Reactions: Devilinside
That was a good example of what JWill was talking about.

Just let him walk it up the court and Roach was way off and he drove right by and threw up the lob.

If Roach was pressuring him he couldn’t have done that.
I'd like to see Jwill or Battier be on the staff not sure how they get along with Jon. Some of these assistant coaches not getting it done.

I thought Mitchell and McCain played hard tonight and gave us energy that we sorely needed.

Flip had a good game, but shot too many 3’s. Flip just makes some head scratching turnovers and has awful body language when things don’t go his way. I think this is why a lot fans felt like he didn’t have a good game.

Roach played his usual steady and under control game.

Proctor- I don’t know what to say.

We could be scary good if we could get everyone clicking at the same time. Depth is going to our Achilles heel.

The kid played a good game once Reid and the other big got in foul trouble ! I watched him walk up the court on defense . Sorry but there was a reason Bacot hit 23 on him and he can’t guard in the post with out a secondary defender .
This was also the reason JWill and Seth were asking how your the preseason ACC player of the year and an all American candidate if you stay on the perimeter. He didn’t go into the post until after Reid got his third and the other guy . I’m not asking him to be Hakeem I’m asking him to play tall against someone other than a guard ! He’s 7’2” for Christ sakes .

Shey, Reid was in foul trouble because Flip got him in foul trouble. The difference between 5th year Bacot and Flip is Bacot will not play in the nba, Flip will play in the nba.

He’s not returning to Duke after this season .

This is why I find the NBA an enigma...a player who struggles in college is going to be successful against the cream of the crop? I just have a hard time understanding a GM's rationale with that...why not pick a 3 or 4 yr mature player like Sallis, a proven scorer? Or go to Europe/South America or Asia for talent that can play immediately? Seems to be a waste of a draft pick...but hey...I dont watch much NBA anyway.

Mitchell was really good, and Flip and McCain were solid with double doubles. Overall, a very good win against a scrappy Wake team. Jon is a bright basketball mind, I don’t think that can be argued. Hope he’ll continue to realize the game is more than X’s and O’s The fire he showed in the 2nd half was noticed by everyone. The Crazies loved it.

I think Flip and Proctor came into this season with fans and the media expecting them to play like men amongst boys. Flip makes some boneheaded mistakes, but we are lucky to have him. He is good. Poor Proctor though. His lack of good play has Jon in a pickle, imo. He expected him to be better, and a few guys on the bench have seen limited action because it’s like he keeps waiting for him to breakout. And I just don’t see Stewart or Power being able to have that impact like Grayson did in 15 when he got court time. So we’re stuck.

Maybe McCain can take Proctor to the Nail Salon tomorrow.

I watch the nba, I like keeping up with the former blue devils. The nba is more free lance and you have to be a “dawg”, gone are the days of needing a true center to succeed in the nba. That’s why you see Point Forwards succeeding such as Jokic, Greek Freak, Banchero, etc. Some of these 5-6 year college players return to school because they know they aren’t going to play in the nba. Bacot and Ryan from Unc are perfect examples, their games don’t translate to the nba.

The college game is ran with more discipline. What I mean is the coaches more often than not influence the sets being ran on offense. For example, “pass the ball 3-4 times before getting a shot up.” Whereas the nba is, the coaches trust their players to go make a play happen without having to call set plays every possession on the offensive end of the court.

I said last year we need those brothers from slap shot. Or at least a Theo.
I just read this was our 3rd game in 6 days. Pretty impressive win considering. Proctor got hit hard in the head in the UNC game; did it effect him?

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I was actually pleasantly surprised by the win. I expected Wake to shoot the three ball much better. The little guard Fredrichsen hurt us 2nd half, but holding Wake under 70 surprised me.

Outside of Proctor, I agree with what most have said. The other starters played well. I agree Flip
still didn't play like we wanted for the game, but give him credit. Flip made some tough inside moves and shots down the stretch. I was proud of his effort.

Chris Mack take a hike. Duke showed they have some "dawgs" to gut this one out. If Proctor comes around. and we get just a little better bench play, well March could be fun.

OFC

I said last year we need those brothers from slap shot. Or at least a Theo.
I just read this was our 3rd game in 6 days. Pretty impressive win considering. Proctor got hit hard in the head in the UNC game; did it effect him?
He took another hard shot to the head, hitting the floor last night, too.

Reactions: christophero
Please explain how a double double and getting both their big guys in foul trouble is far from a great game...
Two calls on Reid were lucky (iffy ) fouls . I’m not saying the kid didn’t play good . I’m asking why you’re 7’2” and play soft in the post . Teams know he’s going to spin just about every time around the basket .
I had Duke winning by ten especially since we were home . Flip just like Proctor are frustrating to watch at times .

Reactions: Devilinside
Two calls on Reid were lucky (iffy ) fouls . I’m not saying the kid didn’t play good . I’m asking why you’re 7’2” and play soft in the post . Teams know he’s going to spin just about every time around the basket .
I had Duke winning by ten especially since we were home . Flip just like Proctor are frustrating to watch at times .
Shey, Flip does tend to play soft but he's not a true center who hasn't played in that position his entire life. He's your classic stretch 4 and is being tasked with playing the five because we have ZERO depth at the 5. Plus, Flip is 6'11 not 7'2

I will say the spin is very predictable so I hear you there.

Last edited:
Biggest questions for me are whether Proctor comes out of his funk, and does Sean continue his growth?
Well, so much for my prognosis! But I still believe both of those are key points for how far this team can go. I’ve been a big flip detractor, but aside from a few whirling dervish turnovers, he played well tonight. Still like to see him worth on FTs though. Overall a good game against a good team. The rematch will likely be a dogfight.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Flip drew 8 fouls, maybe calls on Reid were iffy but the refs also missed a couple on him as well. Flip also isn't 7'2". If you're frustrated with Flip after that game then you probably will never be happy with Flip. Only thing I wouldn't blame for nitpicking is the 3 point shooting, but I'm fine with him taking those open looks still

Still think Flip has an identity crisis...mostly of his own making but also some of the role he's asked to play. He doesnt help himself by taking outside shots ( mainly from 3) that he shouldnt. Once he figures out what he's best at and then puts 100% effort into being that player I think he will be much better

Whether he's 7'0 or 7'2, that's irrelevant. There's very few guys that he will go up against in college bigger than him. He's our big man. Period. The reality is Flip is sloppy quite often, but we'd be screwed if we didn't have him.
The media and fans put him and Proctor (many of our recruits as well) up on pedestals before the season. This message board even waxed the pedestal.

Our chances of the final four are slim unless Proctor snaps out of the funk he's in.

Without Flip our frontcourt would be Young and Stewart. So yes I appreciate Flip. I also wonder if he would have come back knowing he would have to play the 5 all year. He looks frustrated. When Mitchell plays well it takes some pressure off Flip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT