ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Wake V2

I’m ok with that.. I wish Jon would have just took the starters out.. we’re down 4 and we know it’s coming. I did that a few years ago at FSU.. then again Roy did it and was crucified for it haha. I’m not blaming Jon in anyway but if they’re going to allow that crap teams will have to just do that
No no no Roy took the starters out left to the locker room and left blue steel out there it was wayyyy different lol

• Haha
Reactions: pisgah101
Our definition of "good teams" is different. We are a good team, but I'm talking sweet 16 type teams. North Carolina is a team we could beat to improve that.

Reactions: youngman42
I missed the first half, but what I saw was one team that may be legit against a team extremely pumped. A good game that comes down to who executes at the end.
Duke didn’t. Two of the three turnovers were just awful.
My only beef with what I saw was McCain needs a few more shots, and I have no issue with him taking them in crunch time.

The court storming has to stop. We all hope Flip is ok. No rational Duke fan wants Flip injured. I know emotions can run hot after a tough loss, but come on Jimbo, let’s not go running off a cliff.

Last edited:
The only 3 potential sweet 16 teams Duke lost to were Arizona in early November, @Unc, and @ Wake. The tournament is about matchups, the ACC always delivers in the ncaa tournament. I saw a stat the other night that the ACC has won the most ncaa tournament games in the last couple of seasons even though they didn’t have as many bids as the other conferences. I for one wouldn’t be surprised if Clemson, Michigan State, or Wake make the Sweet 16. Factor in the games against Arizona and Unc (Duke gets another shot against them in a couple weeks).

Duke is: 4-3 against the likes of Michigan State, Baylor, Clemson, and Wake. Michigan State and Baylor can definitely get to the sweet 16. Clemson and Wake with the right matchups in the first 2 rounds can get there too.

I missed the first half, but what I saw was one team that may be legit against a team extremely pumped. A good game that comes down to who executes at the end.
Duke didn’t. Two of the three turnovers were just awful.
My only beef with what I saw was McCain needs a few more shots, and I have no issue with him taking them in crunch time.

The court storming has to stop. We all hope Flip is ok. No rational Duke fan wants Flip injured. I know emotions can run hot after a tough loss, but come on Jimbo, let’s not go running off a cliff.
Stop Mac. I thought you and I had a silent handshake to not mention one another? I don't agree with most of what you say so keep my name off your posts.

Go back and read what I said. Simply said all the trashing the kid has got, now we might see what we look without. Not once did I say anyone wishes he got hurt.

Just agree to not like one another and keep me out of your posts.

• Haha
Nobody on here wants Flip hurt grow up
Once again, never said anyone wished he got hurt. Point to where that was said.

The kid has got beat up all year on here and the court, so now we will see this team without him.

Please point to where I said anyone wanted him hurt...I'll wait

That was a terrible loss, imo. We did not show poise. Yes, there was some home cooking on fouls, but Wake is a borderline tournament team. We should have defeated them by 10-15 pts.

It showed this team is not even close to being able to compete for a national title. Christophero is correct. It's, at best, a sweet 16-team (depending on the matchup, they could go down in rounds 1-2). Probably, if they played a round-robin against all NCAA teams, they'd be a 4 seed.

That lack of poise in giving up 3 turnovers in the last minute from the two experienced guards (Roach - a Senior! Inexcusable! - and Proctor, who, if he's as talented as his high school ranking, should not have passed to Flip! WTH? ) was a sure sign the talent is not there.

And although Flip hit a really big 3 for us toward the end, he was terrible from 3. He really is not a high-caliber 3-point shooter and needs to play in the low block more. It looks like he's doing his best to flash NBA potential, but he's not there yet. And it hurts the team in big games.

---

That said, Wake needs to be penalized for the Filipowski injury by a fan after the game. It's impossible to stop all the fans from charging the court. But you can penalize the team and that will stop it in a heartbeat.

Kick those *** holes out of the ACC tourney. Or do not allot any tickets to their team. SMH

Then if they don't get an NCAA bid (which they really don't deserve), that Bull**** will stop in a hurry.

I don't like court storming. I think field storming is a little different in football, as you have huge guys with pads. The court is much smaller as well, and a harder surface.
Flip was standing at the press conference and did not appear to be seriously injured; but we will have to wait and see.

Once again, never said anyone wished he got hurt. Point to where that was said.

The kid has got beat up all year on here and the court, so now we will see this team without him.

Please point to where I said anyone wanted him hurt...I'll wait

After he gets hurt, the phrase, "those who trash flip get their wish" implies they wanted him hurt (or out of the lineup - for whatever reason, including due to injury).

youngman, I’m assuming you don’t watch my college hoops. If you did, you would know Duke has been trending very well. This was only their 2nd loss in 2024 with a healthy roster (Unc) being the other.

Also, Wake is one of the more offensively efficient teams in the country and undefeated on their home court for a reason. Be better.

After he gets hurt, the phrase, "those who trash flip get their wish" implies they wanted him hurt (or out of the lineup - for whatever reason, including due to injury).
It was simply meant to say folks who have bashed him throughout the year, which have been alot of people- could potentially see him out of the lineup now. It was certainly not meant to say anyone on here, or in general wanted to see him hurt.

If it came off that way, my apologies but that wasn't my intent. The kid has got abused all year and we are a significantly worse team without him

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Some of yall are nuts. Wake is a very VERY good team and like I said earlier we played very well for 36 min..

And for jimbo- nobody wants flip to be hurt
@pisgah101 never said people on here wanted him hurt. I could of phrased it better so thats my fault.

i just feel like the kid has taken so much heat this year.

youngman, I’m assuming you don’t watch my college hoops. If you did, you would know Duke has been trending very well. This was only their 2nd loss in 2024 with a healthy roster (Unc) being the other.

Also, Wake is one of the more offensively efficient teams in the country and undefeated on their home court for a reason. Be better.
Not to mention I thought they also said Wake was top twenty right with Duke on defense .

The three turnovers cost Duke at the end of the game .

Reactions: bullcity gamer
It was simply meant to say folks who have bashed him throughout the year, which have been alot of people- could potentially see him out of the lineup now. It was certainly not meant to say anyone on here, or in general wanted to see him hurt.

If it came off that way, my apologies but that wasn't my intent. The kid has got abused all year and we are a significantly worse team without him

I comprehended what you were getting at Jimbo. I understand the others saying that no one wants flip to be hurt.

I think we all can agree here that Duke NEEDS Flip in order to get to the promised land.

@pisgah101 never said people on here wanted him hurt. I could of phrased it better so thats my fault.

i just feel like the kid has taken so much heat this year.
But not with out warrant at times . I don’t see how some can say they truly feel like Flip has played well or to expectations the entire season .
I have seen no one on this board say anything I have not heard an analyst or sports scout who gets paid for their opinion say about Flip .

But not with out warrant at times . I don’t see how some can say they truly feel like Flip has played well or to expectations the entire season .
I have seen no one on this board say anything I have not heard an analyst or sports scout who gets paid for their opinion say about Flip .
Yup, I get it Shey. He's had some duds but even the thought of him out of the lineup is scary.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Flip had a good game; but he was 1-6 from 3. Why is he taking 6 three pointers? It's happened many times before. I'd rather McCain or Roach take those. It seems like something that can be corrected. Him taking 2 is fine. They discussed this on Timo's podcast.

Some of yall are nuts. Wake is a very VERY good team and like I said earlier we played very well for 36 min..

And for jimbo- nobody wants flip to be hurt

Wake was not even in the tourney on Lunardi's final 68 going into this game. By any measure, that is not a VERY good team. If they were in the SEC, they would be lucky to be 10th in the standings. If Duke is FF or even elite 8 material, they beat that team by 10+ in a tight game early but then pull away.

No telling how many times I've read, "We'll be fine," the past 20 years or more only to see us crash and burn in the first or 2nd round.

Duke has some talent for sure, but they are a flawed team. Aside from Flip there is no consistent inside game - and he doesn't play inside enough! - neither Mitchell nor Young have legit offensive talent. Mitchell disappears all the time. He played 28 minutes and had 4 rebounds! For a PF. And the vet guards did not show poise in a tight game.

Further, Duke only plays 7 players. That won't cut it, either. The exact same problem that has plagued Duke 95% of their seasons over the last 20+ years.

Duke really needed to land veteran players in the portal of the caliber of Harrison Ingram and Cormac Ryan if they wanted to compete for a title this year. As great a recruiter of high school players as Scheyer has been, he's been just as bad in the portal.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I'm in the "we'll be fine category". It all depends on what your definition of success. Winning on the road is hard in college. All you have do is look at some of the road losses of the top 5 teams in the country. On top of that Wake hasn't lost at home this season. Are we a title contender? In my opinion we are not. Said it earlier, if we're healthy we can definitely get into the second weekend of the tourney but like someone said earlier, it's all about matchups and who gets hot. Wake will prob not shoot 60% again rest of season and 50% from 3 point range.

Reactions: christophero
Wake played well and can't take that away from them. If the team learns from mistakes the loss will be worth it. We lost the game with end of the first half and end of the game guard play. If Proctor is our point guard he has to make better decisions. Roach had two bad turnovers also trying to do too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT