ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS WAKE FOREST OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

If K decides we should just run ball screens against Virginia we will be luck to hit the 50 point mark on Saturday

We will lose the first game of the ACC tourney, the first game of the ncaa tourney, and may not win another game this year.
i know you are being sarcastic but unfortunately you might not be as far off as you think this is not a good team right now we are looking at 3 out of 4 losses this weekend

Like all of us I am so disgusted. I think this game pretty much wrote the script for us going forward losing to a very weak team we should have easily beaten. Completely disgusted.
I'm right there with you. I try my best not to be negative, but everybody has a breaking point. I'm extremely disgusted with the split personality type of showing with this team lately. Not sure what's going on, but this is getting to be too tough to take at least once every 3-4 days. Hurts to the core when they lose like this to a team of this caliber.

Forget about any seed number, this team has something going on that is going to be a disaster if they don't figure out what is wrong. I'm almost in shock. Lack of pride and effort is rearing his head way too much this season. Freaking 4-12 Wake!!!!

I’m about as confused as I’ve ever been as a Duke fan. I just don’t get it.
Yeah I’m with you. It was hard transitioning from Zion and co. and so initially this felt like a more relaxed, lower stakes season, or at least less of a fever pitch surrounding the team. Then the team started playing and looked more than solid and even great at times. I truly thought NC St was an aberration, but I’m not sure what to take from this. Love this team but they have got to address some of the concerns in a more permanent fashion if the expectation of a lengthy tournament run remains, and it should. It’s a wide open year but impossible not to say we’re trending in the wrong direction.

I'm right there with you. I try my best not to be negative, but everybody has a breaking point. I'm extremely disgusted with the split personality type of showing with this team lately. Not sure what's going on, but this is getting to be too tough to take at least once every 3-4 days. Hurts to the core when they lose like this to a team of this caliber.

Forget about any seed number, this team has something going on that is going to be a disaster if they don't figure out what is wrong. I'm almost in shock. Lack of pride and effort is rearing his head way too much this season. Freaking 4-12 Wake!!!!

exactly!

Reactions: tripleb71
We got outplayed at the end of the second half and in both overtimes but let’s not forget we had to play the last 3-4 minutes of the second half and both overtimes without Carey and without Javin for most of that same time frame. This loss definitely sucks but it’s not the end of the season and this team still has 3 winnable games left in the regular season and can still go deep into the postseason.

We got outplayed at the end of the second half and in both overtimes but let’s not forget we had to play the last 3-4 minutes of the second half and both overtimes without Carey and without Javin for most of that same time frame. This loss definitely sucks but it’s not the end of the season and this team still has 3 winnable games left in the regular season and can still go deep into the postseason.

Exactly, Diehard.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
28 games in and we still lack identity on both sides of the ball. Offensively its erratic and defensively we dont change no matter how many points we are giving up to our opponents guards. Watching other teams in the top 10, they seem to have a clearer idea of what they are doing. Athletism is great but organization is key. We seem to lack the latter.

The development of the team is not there, and hasn't been in this one and done phase outside of the 2015 team. I think Coach K is losing some of his fastball.

Reactions: pisgah101
28 games in and we still lack identity on both sides of the ball. Offensively its erratic and defensively we dont change no matter how many points we are giving up to our opponents guards. Watching other teams in the top 10, they seem to have a clearer idea of what they are doing. Athletism is great but organization is key. We seem to lack the latter.

Kansas and Baylor aren't out here struggling with 4 win conference teams at this point.

Yeah right, continue to try to cover your ass.
Dude I dont get bent out of shape over a loss. I'm a Duke fan and always will be. I wont be losing any sleep tonight or over any other loss, my post was sarcasm over other pissy pant fans that are mad their team lost and seem to only show up when they play bad. I'm sure many other people on here know me well enough to know my post was sarcasm.

Reactions: dukesince91
Duke set themselves up by starting slow again. The refs really slanted the game towards Wake and Duke couldn’t pull out of the tailspin from there. Should we blame the refs completely? No. Duke put themselves in that spot.

When they play up they can beat anyone. The challenge is their inconsistency, combined with K’s stubbornness, will likely be too much to overcome in the ACC semi’s and 2nd or 3rd round of the tourney.

I’m going to pull for them regardless, blood pressure be damned.

Dude I dont get bent out of shape over a loss. I'm a Duke fan and always will be. I wont be losing any sleep tonight or over any other loss, my post was sarcasm over other pissy pant fans that are mad their team lost and seem to only show up when they play bad. I'm sure many other people on here know me well enough to know my post was sarcasm.
Gotcha, my bad. I always sleep good too. On to VA.

Reactions: CRAZIE4LIFE
I can't think of a time I have been negative on this board about Duke, but I'm slowly losing my chest raised high Duke mojo as this season goes on. I'm just not sure anymore of who this team can beat because I never know which real Duke team will show up. It's sad when you are already worried before the first tv timeout because of the start of games that we have seen which haven't gone well.

I can't remember a time when I was wide-eyed that early. My parents always told us, when somebody shows you who they are, believe them. The only problem is which Duke team would they be talking about right now? Seem like I keep wondering did they really just lose to Wake. A sign I need to step away for a game or two and read the results on ESPN.

In the last 5 or 6 years I am not sure how players coming off the bench play with any freedom and confidence. They have zero clue when they will play if at all. Jack white has completely been wiped off the earth. Baker didn’t play at all in 2nd half, AOC came in late in the 2nd half out of desperation. It is mind boggling for me so I can’t begin to imagine how they feel.

5-ACCD83-C-09-EC-4-A64-9886-1534129-ABA8-B.png

I can't think of a time I have been negative on this board about Duke, but I'm slowly losing my chest raised high Duke mojo as this season goes on. I'm just not sure anymore of who this team can beat because I never know which real Duke team will show up. It's sad when you are already worried before the first tv timeout because of the start of games that we have seen which haven't gone well.

I can't remember a time when I was wide-eyed that early. My parents always told us, when somebody shows you who they are, believe them. The only problem is which Duke team would they be talking about right now? Seem like I keep wondering did the really just lose to Wake. A sign I need to step away for a game or two and read the results on ESPN.

Good post. This is the most frustrating season I’ve seen in years. It’s to a point I’m stepping away as well as I’ll say things I shouldn’t and it’ll only clog the board here. Talk soon buddy. Have a good week.

Why does Childress wear an unusually long t-shirt under his jersey?

I still like this team, and yeah, we can beat anyone. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost early either. The frustrating thing to me is this is a movie that I’ve seen way too often over the last few seasons. We don’t improve. Wake on the road, when the State game should be fresh in their heads.

Trying to not disagree with Coach K, but I’m scratching my head wondering what he is seeing in our D to keep playing the same way.

I like Tre, but I’m also struggling seeing him play 37-38 minutes a game.

Maybe it’s good for us not to be in Greensboro, I believe we are 9-0 outside the state of North Carolina.

Are you a politician? 96,65,60,88,64,113.
65 to FSU. 96 to UNC
60 to ND. 88 to NC St
64 to VT. 113 to Wake

This team just seems to play to their level of competition. We don't respect every team we play. We will go to UVA and probably win by 8-10 points.
You are correct sir...I misread what I was reading..I went back and read again after seeing this.

Reactions: dukesince91
In the last 5 or 6 years I am not sure how players coming off the bench play with any freedom and confidence. They have zero clue when they will play if at all. Jack white has completely been wiped off the earth. Baker didn’t play at all in 2nd half, AOC came in late in the 2nd half out of desperation. It is mind boggling for me so I can’t begin to imagine how they feel.
Jack White and Jav have been here for 4 years. There is absolutely no excuse for their lack of production. Jack has no confidence in his shot and other than a touch rebound here and there, he has not really done much lately. Jav, well I'm going to leave that one alone. All of these guys that have been here longer than this year, other than Tre, should take a long look in the mirror at themselves and ask a hard question. What do I consistently bring to the table on game day for this team?

Duke can string enough games together to make an NCAA run if we can get past the 1st weekend. I worry about a really high seed taking us out early because we are so inconsistent shooting the 3 ball and apt to forget how to play defense and make silly turnovers but we’ve been that way for years it seems. It’s really all about hitting the 3’s and that what our Achilles heel is. Why O’Connell didn’t shoot more baffles me.

Jack White and Jav have been here for 4 years. There is absolutely no excuse for their lack of production. Jack has no confidence in his shot and other than a touch rebound here and there, he has not really done much lately. Jav, well I'm going to leave that one alone. All of these guys that have been here longer than this year, other than Tre, should take a long look in the mirror at themselves and ask a hard question. What do I consistently bring to the table on game day for this team?
Jack was playing really well. He basically hasn’t touched the floor in over two weeks for whatever the reason. That’s not really fair to him...can’t produce if you don’t get off the bench. Jav is what he is at this point and I agree it’s disappointing.

The past few years this team maxes out in November, this year we beat Kansas, 2017 beating msu etc but we stumble in the end. Meanwhile the Kansas and msu teams get better

Good post. This is the most frustrating season I’ve seen in years. It’s to a point I’m stepping away as well as I’ll say things I shouldn’t and it’ll only clog the board here. Talk soon buddy. Have a good week.
Yes Sir, you and me both. When I find myself making a negative post, something I don't do, it's a good self-check that I'm extremely frustrated and nothing wrong with taking a break from watching. I'm so freaking invested in Duke mentally that it's draining man. Not sure what else to say. On to the next one and I hope they play better. I'll wait for the results instead of watching. You have a good rest of the week to buddy.

Reactions: Fourteen44
Jack was playing really well. He basically hasn’t touched the floor in over two weeks for whatever the reason. That’s not really fair to him...can’t produce if you don’t get off the bench. Jav is what he is at this point and I agree it’s disappointing.
I must be thinking about Jack on the other Duke team.

I can't remember a time when I was wide-eyed that early. My parents always told us, when somebody shows you who they are, believe them. The only problem is which Duke team would they be talking about right now? Seem like I keep wondering did they really just lose to Wake. A sign I need to step away for a game or two and read the results on ESPN.
This! It’s hard to gauge a team when they can be so inconsistent. U never know which Duke team u are gonna get each game. U might get the Duke team that drums opponents by 30 plus or u might get a Duke team that just simply doesn’t show up like when we went to play at NC State. Now I will say this( I might get a bit burned for it), but I’m gonna say it anyway. I usually don’t ramble about officiating, but I felt like Duke had the game in hand when they were up by 10 points, but ticky tack fouls being called allowed Wake to get back in the game and stay in the game, but at the same time, I’m not gonna ignore some of the silly mistakes Duke made near the end of the game like with shot selection and turnovers. Hurt instead of trying to create a shot took an unnecessary three near the end of OT that allowed Wake to take the ball down and get points( can’t remember if they got fouled or scored off of it), but it’s plays like that where Duke got beat also.

Reactions: retiredsoldier
This has been frustrating of late but not sure how this is more frustrating than Austin’s year, jabaris year, tatums year, or bagleys year. Those teams would barely beat a team like wake at home but then go beat a team like uva. I am concerned about the defense though. Too many seasons of bad defense and this one started out well defensively.

I stepped back weeks ago. Way too frustrating.

With the one and done way of thinking, it seems like investment level from the players has drastically declined. If the NBA says I have potential, who cares if I lose to Wake?

My attention to games subsides by the day. I have friends with inherited season tickets to other schools that rarely go nowadays. Just a bad product all around.

I get what you are saying and I agree Jav should not be playing, I have said that for awhile. Jack White does little things that win basketball games and the other guys I have mentioned have the ability to score in bunches. I am not saying they should play 20 minutes a game but this team has zero identity and some of that in my opinion is related to the fact that nobody coming off the bench has a role or knows their role.

I get what you are saying and I agree Jav should not be playing, I have said that for awhile. Jack White does little things that win basketball games and the other guys I have mentioned have the ability to score in bunches. I am not saying they should play 20 minutes a game but this team has zero identity and some of that in my opinion is related to nobody coming off the bench has a role or knows their role.
Javin is a wild card! At times he can make big plays for Duke, but other times he can be a liability. U just never know what u are gonna get with Javin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT