ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SYRACUSE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I'd love to see us mix in some zone from time to time! I don't see why K hasn't tried it in recent games.

Someone else made the comparison. I tried to show that you can look at the analogy another way. I'm assuming Mac was implying that kids have to be evaluated in game situations to get a fair assessment and I disagree.

It wasn't the only thing I disagree with. I just think it's a weak analogy to say that kids need playing time to be properly evaluated. I'm not trying to start arguments here - I respect you as a poster. My aim was to poke holes in what I saw as an unfair comparison. If I read your post correctly, you are implying that Bolden needs to get more playing time because he hasn't been appropriately evaluated and allowed to improve. I'm arguing that the game time is not where that should take place.
Your points that Allen's struggles and our poor defense are the major problems - I totally agree.
By the way, I would like to see Bolden play more. I have a feeling in Coach K's eyes he hasn't earned more time in practice. That's good enough for me. And that's probably where you and I don't agree.
Again, I didn't mean any personal disrespect to you - and I see it could certainly have come off that way. I should have prefaced my post with that.
The playing time issue to me is not just doing good in practice. The kid element trumps the general rule. I understand that practice is important. Maybe Bolden is lazy and doesn't deserve minutes. I'm just speculating. I'm going off of the past and how K is with my opinion. Go back to 01, Boozer injuring his foot. Up to that point how much time had Sanders and Love been getting? They got a good bit once Boozer was out. Were they bad before? Or did K HAVE to do something different? Would Allen have gotten the opportunity had Sulaimon been on the team in 15? Bolden may or may not help, but because of how K is, it opens door for me to question him. That's 2 big examples where a kid got a chance and look at results

There's things I'd like to see K do, as well. Then I think to myself....you know what, he's probably tried some of those things in practice and he's not comfortable enough in his team to trot it out there in a game. It's not that I think K isn't open to criticism, because he certainly can and should be. But in all honesty, I do think he knows more about this team than all of us posting here combined.

Just because this team has some obvious deficiencies doesn't mean they're all easily correctable. I think the best basketball coach of the modern era, while maybe a little stubborn, knows this team has weaknesses too. I also believe he's trying to 'coach up' his team to the best of his abilities.

There's things I'd like to see K do, as well. Then I think to myself....you know what, he's probably tried some of those things in practice and he's not comfortable enough in his team to trot it out there in a game. It's not that I think K isn't open to criticism, because he certainly can and should be. But in all honesty, I do think he knows more about this team than all of us posting here combined.

Just because this team has some obvious deficiencies doesn't mean they're all easily correctable. I think the best basketball coach of the modern era, while maybe a little stubborn, knows this team has weaknesses too. I also believe he's trying to 'coach up' his team to the best of his abilities.
You are one hell of a Coach K apologist!

I know Coach K knows what he's doing. That's beyond obvious, but to think the guy doesn't err or make mistakes is foolish. He's a human being after all, not a god. No man is beyond reproach. You can disagree with his tactics and philosophy and still be a Duke fan. I think that's called being objective. Again just my opinion, not bad mouthing anyone or Coach K.

I know Coach K knows what he's doing. That's beyond obvious, but to think the guy doesn't err or make mistakes is foolish. He's a human being after all, not a god. No man is beyond reproach. You can disagree with his tactics and philosophy and still be a Duke fan. I think that's called being objective. Again just my opinion, not bad mouthing anyone or Coach K.

I don't disagree entirely. I would, however, question anyone who disagrees with "his tactics and philosophy" under the big picture....after all, that's kind of what makes you a Duke fan and has made Duke a five-time national champion under his watch.

My definition of being objective is trying see all points, good and bad, equally. If you only take one side, again good or bad, then you're not being objective at all. Acknowledging both sides is what makes one objective.

Last edited:
I still think we can win the NCAA this year. That's just me. OFC

Let's just keep it real...Coach K is doing a terrible job of recognizing the strengths of this team. Small ball is not the answer for this team. It might look cute on offense but defensively it's not working. Defense wins championships. Tatum has looked good at the 4 but he's not a defense minded player like justise. Justise was a defensive stopper. In 2015 we had 3 defenders that could really lock up on defense. Jahlil made offense easy. You have to have some type of inside presence. Something to fall back on when the shots aren't falling. Giles has showed enough to where he should get 5-10 shots a game. He's getting comfortable around the basket. We need him and Bolden to play to max out the teams potential

Reactions: hart2chesson
It's becoming quite apparent we'd be undefeated if we'd only played Bolden every game. I THINK K probably watches Bolden at practice. Just a hunch.

I don't blame coach K much for what I see. I see too many guys who don't have the passion and desire to use their athletic ability and size and length to shut teams down. I don't see enough full sprint back on defense as if your playing time depended on it. I really hope this team can turn it on defensively like the 2015 but even better because the talent is there to be even better. Marques and Giles can really disrupt shots since we like to allow guys to the basket with immunity.

Let's just keep it real...Coach K is doing a terrible job of recognizing the strengths of this team. Small ball is not the answer for this team. It might look cute on offense but defensively it's not working. Defense wins championships. Tatum has looked good at the 4 but he's not a defense minded player like justise. Justise was a defensive stopper. In 2015 we had 3 defenders that could really lock up on defense. Jahlil made offense easy. You have to have some type of inside presence. Something to fall back on when the shots aren't falling. Giles has showed enough to where he should get 5-10 shots a game. He's getting comfortable around the basket. We need him and Bolden to play to max out the teams potential

What have you seen, that Coach K hasn't, to assume Bolden is the missing piece that maxes this team's potential? And for the record, I'm on your side....just asking for a friend.

Also, who were the three lockdown defenders in 2015?

Thanks!

It's becoming quite apparent we'd be undefeated if we'd only played Bolden every game. I THINK K probably watches Bolden at practice. Just a hunch.

It's not about playing Bolden. It's about playing the bench. He recruited these players. He said Bolden would've been the starter had he not gotten hurt. I saw Bolden against Miami and he looked very good. Clearly when he gets some extended minutes he produces. The coaching staff have such a short leash on him and Giles though. They act like everyone else is playing good defense

THIS ^^^.

What have you seen, that Coach K hasn't, to assume Bolden is the missing piece that maxes this team's potential? And for the record, I'm on your side....just asking for a friend.

Also, who were the three lockdown defenders in 2015?

Thanks!

I say he's the missing piece because we will need his size. It makes the team much better if we can get him comfortable on the court. Him and Giles need minutes to get better. The better they are, the better the team will be. The reason Duke was picked a runaway favorites is because of depth.

Jones and Winslow were the lockdown defenders but Quinn definitely started to guard at a high level towards the end of the season and through the tournament

It's not about playing Bolden. It's about playing the bench. He recruited these players. He said Bolden would've been the starter had he not gotten hurt. I saw Bolden against Miami and he looked very good. Clearly when he gets some extended minutes he produces. The coaching staff have such a short leash on him and Giles though. They act like everyone else is playing good defense

So based off a single half of basketball you're able to see that Bolden can "clearly" produce, but Coach K is blind to it?

Again, I'm not saying K doesn't make mistakes. He does. It just seems odd to me that he's unable to see something your great basketball mind can "clearly" see....and Coach K watches him every single day.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I say he's the missing piece because we will need his size. It makes the team much better if we can get him comfortable on the court. Him and Giles need minutes to get better. The better they are, the better the team will be. The reason Duke was picked a runaway favorites is because of depth.

Jones and Winslow were the lockdown defenders but Quinn definitely started to guard at a high level towards the end of the season and through the tournament

Why Bolden and not Jeter or Vrank? They have size.

Tyus was not a lockdown defender. This is why I think you didn't watch much of Duke in 2015.

The Duke offense is not going thru the center position this year so I would like the front court to play tough defense and if you get in foul trouble next man up.

Why Bolden and not Jeter or Vrank? They have size.

Tyus was not a lockdown defender. This is why I think you didn't watch much of Duke in 2015.

MATT JONES man. Tyus wasn't the only Jones on the team. I'm starting to think you only watched highlights of 2015. I don't care if it's any one of them. We need a rim/paint protector. That's not Amile's strength. He's not a shot blocker.

MATT JONES man. Tyus wasn't the only Jones on the team. I'm starting to think you only watched highlights of 2015. I don't care if it's any one of them. We need a rim/paint protector. That's not Amile's strength. He's not a shot blocker.

Gotcha.

Who was the shot blocker/rim protector in 2015? 2010? Just curious.

Gotcha.

Who was the shot blocker/rim protector in 2015? 2010? Just curious.

In 2015 Jahlil guarded the paint. He may not have blocked a lot of shots but he's 6'11 with a 7'5 wingspan. That means he's hard to shoot over. Plus Justise was a great weakside defender.

In 2010 they had zoubek who manned the lane and altered shots. lance thomas was a strong defender as well.

The common denominator was length with very good weakside defenders. Both of those teams actually played a more laid back style of defense. They didn't really pressure the ball as hard on the perimeter. They were more packed in and closed on 3 pt shooters. Especially 2010

Our best half of defense was against Miami with Bolden and Amile. Am i lying?

That was a gimmick lineup. They did well, but everyone kind of knew it wasn't sustainable. I don't you'll find many coaches going with Grayson and Luke sitting long term.

That was a gimmick lineup. They did well, but everyone kind of knew it wasn't sustainable. I don't you'll find many coaches going with Grayson and Luke sitting long term.

You don't have to play that lineup 20 minutes. Can we at least get a good 12 minutes of a big lineup? Is that too much to ask? Let's see what they can do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT