ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs State II

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
We get the woofies tonight in Cameron! Game is scheduled for 7pm on ESPN. At time of writing we are a 6.5 favorite.

We got blitzed in Raleigh by a good team but now it’s our turn to get revenge. This would end up being one of our better wins against a projected 9 seed in the tournament. Keats needed a good season to save his job and I think he did it but tonight we take care of business

Duke-85
State-70

We start showing every one duke is back starting tonight.. no more Ls ON THE SEASON! #Si6hts

Have the day off due to snow. Yay. This one is hard to call. We are a lot better at home, but they really took us to the woodshed last time. Roach was not himself in the last game, and Lively was not a factor. I'm going to say Duke by 5, but this one could go either way. We could use some quality wins. I think Xavier and Miami are the only ranked teams we have beaten. That is not a great resume, and is why we are a 7/8 seed despite our win streak. Winning the next 2 will move the needle.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Whitehead has looked off the last few games. Gotta get him on track. Proctor has looked great the last few games, tonight will be a big test.

^I posted in another thread that posters at another site were saying that Whitehead was not in game shape and that it might take him another 2 weeks to get there. The cost of injuries.

I really expect a strong performance tonight. I would be surprised if we don't win by 10 as long as our guards show up to play like they have recently. If Roach/Proctor can play like they did over the weekend and if they can get a little support from the bench I really like us against any team in the conference right now.

Duke 81
NC State 70

I dunno why but I have a horrible feeling about this game, just win
This team does have a bad habit of laying an egg whenever we start thinking how good they are. But this one's at home, so I think we win. If Proctor can play well against their guards that will make me hopeful for the postseason. We do need to take advantage of our superior size, something we didn't do the first game because we kept turning the ball over.

I agree Chris. It concerns me a little going to UNC for our last regular season game. UNC is figuring things out, and I expect that to be our toughest game in the past 12. UNC will be fired up and playing for a secure tourney spot. If they come out and smack us, I worry how that sets our young team up for postseason.

Kenpom has Duke as the highest rated ACC team at #33. Yikes. When has the ACC been so mediocre?

Virginia and Miami are both in the upper 30s, UNC at 43 and NC St. at 50.

I like where this team is headed. Even if Whitehead doesn't take over like I truly believe he can, I think we lock up the undefeated home season with a win by 7 tonight.

Reactions: christophero
Yeah, the ACC is just bad. There's no getting around it. Especially now that Virginia is slumping and UNC is all over the map and we are not our usual 1-2 seed. When Kansas lost 3 in a row it was all to ranked teams. If we take care of business this week we can rise in the rankings and get a decent seed, but if not, finishing middle of the pack in a historically bad ACC does not inspire confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeJim99
Kenpom has Duke as the highest rated ACC team at #33. Yikes. When has the ACC been so mediocre?

I like where this team is headed. Even if Whitehead doesn't take over like I truly believe he can, I think we lock up the undefeated home season with a win by 7 tonight.
Where do they have pitt?

Where do they have pitt?

Unless I'm missing something, our best win according to Kenpom was that early season win against Xavier on a neutral court, who he as at #18.

After that, it's against Miami at home, which we won by 2 (and then got smoked at Miami). He has Miami at 36. And then Iowa at 44 who we beat early season on a neutral court. And Carolina at home, who he as at 43.

Although to me Virginia on the road was a win and that should definitely be above Miami or Iowa or Carolina.
We need this game tonight and we need the road W at Carolina and then I think we all should be happy about how this team matured, even if they aren't going to be the top-10 team we hoped they'd be at the beginning of the season.

Last edited:

Top to bottom, the ACC is mediocre; BUT looking at the Big 12 and The Big 10 leads me to believe that college basketball as a whole this year is mediocre. The first 8 teams in the ACC stack up pretty well against the first 8 in the two Bigs based upon their records to date. The ACC, like Duke, will outperform expectations. OFC

Reactions: DukeJim99
I am very impressed with the Big 12. their teams are tough, play hard, and are athletic.

I am very unimpressed with the Big 10, other than Purdue and maybe Indiana. Their teams are inconsistent, not as athletic as the Big 12, and I didn't exactly dominate the ACC early in the season even before a lot of ACC teams started playing better.

The so-called experts feel differently about the Big 10. Let's see if they bomb in the tournament again this year.

Reactions: KDSTONE
This isn't a recent vintage PACK TEAM. They are coming in mad after Saturday, and watch for a determined effort!! That's OK, we match it. Stamina could play a role on an unseasonably hot day. It will be quite warm in Cameron. Devils, 84-77. OFC

Reactions: AlanInNJ
They need to bring it. This team was down 18-9 to Florida State. We can't get down big early, although we usually don't do that at home. This could be a statement game. My gut says we win tonight and lose Saturday, but I'd gladly take a sweep.

Last edited:
Teams with good guards give this team trouble. Not saying we can't win, but it is a thing.

Despite state player literally putting hands on proctor extending his arms for an illegal push I expect proctor to be assessed a technical foul for playing legal defense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT