ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs State II

I think with them playing at home, and on a winning streak, they'll be favored by -1-1.5. It will be a toss-up. If we beat them on Saturday, they probably have to go deep in the ACC tourney to get in. We need to do to them what we didn't last year. Let's break their whiney weak-ass blue hearts.

Query, if Duke sweeps them and they bow out early in the ACC tourney, do they still put the bastards in?

Did we really shoot 21 more free throws than them? Between that (we won't get those calls in the Dean Dome) and the 3 point shooting we need to do better Saturday. Don't get me wrong I'm glad we won. 5 game win streak is pretty impressive. We shot poorly and still won. Our backcourt played well against theirs.
We are finding different ways to win these games. Most importantly, the turnovers have been significantly cut down. Lets go baby! We peaking!

Ps I like grandison but man he isn’t very strong or a great shooter. Let’s grab some better portal guys next year!
True. I like the way this years team carry themselves. Respectful to the uniform, the coaches, and themselves. Even though we may not get to know them as long as we’d like they seem like a good bunch of guys

My worry about Saturday is UNC’s three point shooting . I watched them hit 11 three’s in the first half against FSU. I know they are down but we can’t afford to let them hit that many and a lot were contested three point shots .
Sure Davis is going to tell them the same about us and not getting hot from three.
Good game over all.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
35 year old first time coach goes undefeated at home with a freshman heavy team that gotta better down the stretch. That got screwed two games (@vt , @uva). Not too shabby for year one Jon
And overcame injuries to 3 of the major players on the team. Jon, staff and team have done a great job of continuing to fight & continuing to grow. As a fan, that's really all we can ask for.

A win against a pretty good NC state game. I just hope the poor 3-point shooting doesn't carry over to the Cheat game. I feel good about that game with even average 3-point shooting. For the Cheats, Love and company seem to either be red hot from outside or shoot themselves into oblivion with no middle ground. You never know whether Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde is going to show up.

Roach has just a little bit of Kyrie in him around the basket, doesn't he? Kyrie might be the best finishing guard on the planet near the basket and Roach has been showing a little more of that ability the last few games.

Dariq once again has me scratching my head. No way he should only get 2 shots up in that game. He's very talented. I love his game. We need a lot more out of him.

Good win. Nice to see them take care of business at the end. They had some problems finishing games this year.

It looked like State was determined that Duke was not going to finish at the basket even if they had to foul. There was body contact every time Flip went up inside. Having said that, he will learn eventually to be stronger with the ball.

I loved Whitehead diving for a loose ball. I have criticized other players for not diving and it's nice to see a guy who is struggling offensively to give up his body like that.

As badly as we shot from 3, we did get a few offensive rebounds off of them so they weren't lost possessions.

As much as I hate the team taking bad shots, I laughed when Lively put up that 3 from the corner. My feeling is, he works so hard on defense and the boards, if he wants to take one of them a game, let him. Especially when the rest of the team is shooting 10%.

It looked like State was determined that Duke was not going to finish at the basket even if they had to foul. There was body contact every time Flip went up inside. Having said that, he will learn eventually to be stronger with the ball.

I loved Whitehead diving for a loose ball. I have criticized other players for not diving and it's nice to see a guy who is struggling offensively to give up his body like that.

As badly as we shot from 3, we did get a few offensive rebounds off of them so they weren't lost possessions.

As much as I hate the team taking bad shots, I laughed when Lively put up that 3 from the corner. My feeling is, he works so hard on defense and the boards, if he wants to take one of them a game, let him. Especially when the rest of the team is shooting 10%.
Overall agree. I’ll give Lively a pass on that airball corner 3. Mitchell shouldn’t have put him in that position with the shot clock expiring.

This team flight really hard and that was a chippy game. Loved Riq diving for that ball and refusing to give it up.

Roach has just a little bit of Kyrie in him around the basket, doesn't he? Kyrie might be the best finishing guard on the planet near the basket and Roach has been showing a little more of that ability the last few games.

Dariq once again has me scratching my head. No way he should only get 2 shots up in that game. He's very talented. I love his game. We need a lot more out of him.

Good win. Nice to see them take care of business at the end. They had some problems finishing games this year.
agree on riq, but he only played 17 min....at least he wasnt out there forcing

Reactions: DukeJim99

iirc wasnt that shot attempt late in the shot clock?...seems MM iirc shouldnt have passed to him in that situation...i could be wrong about the shot clock, but i think thats the case in that attempt

iirc wasnt that shot attempt late in the shot clock?...seems MM iirc shouldnt have passed to him in that situation...i could be wrong about the shot clock, but i think thats the case in that attempt
It is. Lively to his credit didn’t even think about launching some of those open looks they clearly were giving him. He’s gotten so much better. We are night and day better when he’s on the floor playing like he is on defense and grabbing offensive boards.

Proud of our grit to carve out a
win over a tough State team!! IMO, we shot more free throws because our offense is predicated on doing much more of our work at the rim on offense.

State fans are crying all over Twitter about the FT discrepancy, and tech on Smith. Much DESERVED TECH BTW! Smith was a real jerk last nite.

OFC

Last edited:
not much to worry about end of game. We only missed the front end of a one and one, Roach too early in the shot clock shot and State was burying tough threes. Not much you can do when a team hits those.

Coach said Whitehead is two weeks from rounding into form.

State played the classic Pitino and Huggins “I will foul you 10 times, hope they only call half, and b**** when my team has less free throws and more fouls.” But a stupid, clear tech on State ruins that thought…

Reactions: 9dukejames
Whitehead doesn’t get many shots because he rarely drives the ball. He also doesn’t cut as much as our other wings.

When you stay behind the 3 point line you’re pretty easy to defend.

Reactions: jeffrey236
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT