ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke Vs Boston College

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
ACC season is upon us and our first matchup has us against the hated Boston college (at least for me) we are currently a 17.5 point favorite with a tip time of 4 on ACCN.

BC is 5-3 and haven’t played anyone of note. They are coached by Earl Grant who’s official title is “The Clement and Elizabeth Izzi Family Head Men’s Basketball Coach”
Coach Grant is in his 2nd year as coach of BC and was formerly at the College of Charleston where he had a fair amount of success. Coach also spent time as an assistant coach at Clemson.

This game shouldn’t be difficult but we have a tendency to lay a couple eggs a year against conference teams that have no business playing with us.. however this game doesn’t have that feel at least not yet.

Duke-77
BC-60

ACC season is upon us and our first matchup has us against the hated Boston college (at least for me) we are currently a 17.5 point favorite with a tip time of 4 on ACCN.

BC is 5-3 and haven’t played anyone of note. They are coached by Earl Grant who’s official title is “The Clement and Elizabeth Izzi Family Head Men’s Basketball Coach”
Coach Grant is in his 2nd year as coach of BC and was formerly at the College of Charleston where he had a fair amount of success. Coach also spent time as an assistant coach at Clemson.

This game shouldn’t be difficult but we have a tendency to lay a couple eggs a year against conference teams that have no business playing with us.. however this game doesn’t have that feel at least not yet.

Duke-77
BC-60
I just hope we don't have that play-by-play guy that pronounces us "The Duke Blue DEV-ILS!!!" Gosh he's dull. Somehow I think we draw Tom Warme and Cory (take a breath please) Alexander.

I look us to be a little flat at the outset, but prevail, 76-59. Hope Schutt gets some burn...

OFC

I just hope we don't have that play-by-play guy that pronounces us "The Duke Blue DEV-ILS!!!" Gosh he's dull. Somehow I think we draw Tom Warme and Cory (take a breath please) Alexander.

I look us to be a little flat at the outset, but prevail, 76-59. Hope Schutt gets some burn...

OFC
Cory ( Flip a coin ) Alexander. Heads- Grin and Bear it
Tails- Hello Mute button. Where have you been old buddy?

• Wow
Reactions: hart2chesson
The game shouldn't be difficult. You just jinxed us man.
Duke 75
BC 68
Would like to see Lively lively again.
As long as we win today and stay healthy I'm good. Could be a trap game in between OSU and Iowa, but we should prevail.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Young and Grandison look great. Whitehead looks a little lost. Lively playing well.

Last edited:
Reactions: youngman42
We really are playing well this game. Other than getting bullied in the Purdue game, I feel like we’ve played pretty well. We haven’t shot great from outside. That’s our Achilles. But it’s sort of been Dukes Achilles for a few years now.

Got to say, Blakes has been really impressive this year. Usually you don’t see Duke guards improve that much over a year. If at all. Can’t remember the last time a Duke player barely played as a freshman and came on that strong as a sophomore (if at all over four seasons).

But he is really solid.

Reactions: jamsession3
Roach should have gone to Grandison in the corner in that last shot. Catch and shoot 3s are always a higher percentage than dribble and shoot. I will never understand why coaches don’t instill that in to their players.

We might get a year two out of Mitchell, which is a good thing. He has been awfully quiet recently. Or he will have that one monster game that convince our guys to leave.

Reactions: youngman42
Something I have yet to understand is how Duke can say that both Lively and Filipowski tip the scales at 230?!?

Can’t see how that Lively, an inch taller than Filipowski, weighs the same as Flip. He’s skinnier all the way through his body! Lol. Arms. Legs. Torso. It’s like telling us two guys are 6’8 and you watch them on the court and one is easily 2-3 inches taller than the other.

Reactions: Dad2ze
I really love that we have a solid nine man rotation. And I also love that two of the four coming off the bench are our # 1 & 2 recruits. Make them earn it. It’s a good test for them to see if they have the mental fortitude to challenge themselves coming off the bench to improve their game and get more playing time. I really like what Scheyer is doing.

At the same time, they are not playing super well, and have to step up.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Watching post game highlights and will have my thoughts. Great win coming off a tough game.
1. Proctor to lively for the dunk. Nice. Also great goaltend by Lively being aggressive.
2. Lively backwards dunk. That was nice.
3. Young with the head fake and reverse lay up. Nice move old man. Grandison to Young for another one.
4. We need to get Grandison looks from the corner. He's money from there.
5. Flip with the spin and lay up. Love his game.
6. I either need glasses or Young just blocked 2 shots. Proctor nice finish in traffic.
7. Roach with some iffy shot selection several times. He needs to be better.
8. Mitchell really starting to feast in the second half.

Last edited:
Great game from our guys. A double digit ACC win is always welcome. I can really see Lively coming along. I'm not sure where Whitehead fits in on this team. He needs more practice time before he sees extended minutes. When Mitchell plays well we are really tough.

Not sure if this will be the way Jon runs his offense, or if it’s because we don’t have a really elite player, but this team passes the ball around unselfishly.
It seems like I’ve seen more passes through 10 games than some of our past teams did in an entire season.

And I love it.

I noticed our passing as well. Not as much iso ball, although we really don't have iso guys this year. But credit Jon for adjusting. We are coming along nicely as a team.

Watching post game highlights and will have my thoughts. Great win coming off a tough game.
1. Proctor to lively for the dunk. Nice. Also great goaltend by Lively being aggressive.
2. Lively backwards dunk. That was nice.
3. Young with the head fake and reverse lay up. Nice move old man. Grandison to Young for another one.
4. We need to get Grandison looks from the corner. He's money from there.
5. Flip with the spin and lay up. Love his game.
6. I either need glasses or Young just blocked 2 shots. Proctor nice finish in traffic.
7. Roach with some iffy shot selection several times. He needs to be better.
8. Mitchell really starting to feast in the second half.
When Mitchell figures out his position and what he can do, this team is going to be scary.

The only true ego is Roach, and I'm glad he's the one. Chemistry and a solid rotation will lead to success.

Reactions: christophero
Great game from our guys. A double digit ACC win is always welcome. I can really see Lively coming along. I'm not sure where Whitehead fits in on this team. He needs more practice time before he sees extended minutes. When Mitchell plays well we are really tough.
Yup. It's early, but where does Dariq figure into the rotation?

Reactions: christophero
I think the key for dariq is consecutive practices. I’m guessing during the Christmas break he can get a few practices together and get acclimated. My hope is after that he will be trending up. Right around mid January I think we start seeing what we all believe is our best player.

Reactions: GillJET
I think the key for dariq is consecutive practices. I’m guessing during the Christmas break he can get a few practices together and get acclimated. My hope is after that he will be trending up. Right around mid January I think we start seeing what we all believe is our best player.
I think we fill that piece of the puzzle we can go a long way.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT