ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs BC

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
📍 Cameron
⏰ 2:00
📺 ESPN

Get this one out early since we start at 2. We host the 13-9 bc eagles and seem to be a 12.5 point favorite at time of writing. Looking at their schedule they don’t tend to get blown out in losses which is interesting to me.

Coach Earl Grant is now in his third year at BC after a successful stint at College of Charleston

We struggle in this one but should come out on top

Duke-73
BC-67

Watched them play UNC only reason they lost the lead and game was they ran out of gas .

I’ll take us wining by ten and I think Flip continues to struggle .

Reactions: christophero
Have a feeling it will be a ugly game and their big guy is pretty good, and a 5th year senior. Duke by 6

Reactions: sheyduke
BC has a decent veteran 7 footer. We need to win that match up.
My dad kept asking why Flip keeps spinning and double clutching like a 6 foot guard. I told him about the hip surgery and he said that made sense that his lift is off. But he keeps turning down the 20 footer. If he hits that then he can drive. He does have a nice turnaround jumper.
I cannot see BC beating us at home. If they do, we've got trouble in River City. Seems like a struggle but a W. The schedule gets tougher again soon

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
I’m not understanding of the continual need to switch our guards onto bigs and our bigs onto guards.

Roach has two fouls guarding the bigs in the paint.

Scheyer is running out some very strange lineups in this first half.

Better overall end of the half than what we've been, but what was Jon calling on that last play? Can't go into the offense with 5 seconds

I thought we where ok but then we went something like 6 1/2 minutes without scoring or something.

Those weird lineups got our offense all out of sorts it seemed to me.

Stewart with the two quick baskets and even caused the guy to pump at the rim where Flip got the block.

His play at the end of the half gave us some separation.

flip is the most frustrating play I can ever remember.
I get that he is a big with guard skills and some feel he is playing out position but the nba he has to play big. He hasn’t shown that he can play big at the college level.

I’ve tried to not be too critical of Jon, cause I know he’s young. But we don’t have enough fight, no leadership. We shot no free throws, Flip had 0 rebounds.

This may seem minor to some, but I’ve seen Roach call off Jon from taking him out of the game. That shouldn’t happen.

Mac, you and I don't agree on alot but I do agree with your Jon comment. They have no fire, ever and at some point that's on Jon. McCain needs to hit some shots 2nd half

I have my own opinions about it but it reminds me of a lot of teams in sports history that succeed immediately after discipline from an elite Head Coach then start to erode slowly over time.

The two I can think of off the top of my head are The Dallas Cowboys under Switzer and the Pittsburgh Steelers under Tomlin.

I think the team felt some freedom and a weight come off last year without Coach K and the expectations of excellence that came with that.

Only time will tell of course but I feel we are watching a slow decay of “Standards” under Jon.

That’s of course hard to convey or even understand when your a prisoner of the moment and they come out and win immediately.

It often happens when someone with discipline is replaced with someone with less discipline.

You watch standards lesson themselves “over time”.

McCain has easily become my favorite player.

Hard to argue anyone in a Duke jersey plays harder or gives more effort than he does.

Good win. Off game shooting for McCain but he contributed with 10 rebounds. Rest up guys for the quick turnaround Monday. We can rest a bit after Monday.

Balanced attack by The Blue Devils, 5 guys scored in double figures, there were 19 assists on 30 made shots. Coach Scheyer played 10 guys which was nice to see. They seemed to play at a quicker pace this afternoon. On defense, The Blue Devils switched everything 1 through 5 and it worked!

McCain’s prowess to go after rebounds really sticks out to me! Flip played better today.

Have to Bring It against Wake Forest on Monday Night!!!

Last edited:
Good second half. Especially on the defensive end. I thought we had great energy, and it started at the top with Jon going hard at the refs at halftime. You love to see it. And we covered the spread.
Jon getting into it walking into the locker room was awesome to see Bleed. He's been a bit too reserved and he got right in two officials faces. Team clearly saw it and came out strong the first 3 minutes

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I’ll say this . There is a reason a lot of seasoned coaches have walked away .

This isn’t the day and age when you can get on a player . If you do they can simply give up and wait for the portal to open up . Jon is learning but it’s not like the game hasn’t changed since K coached . Not to mention all a school has to do is produce a bigger number .
Jon did exactly what he needed to with the refs but I also didn’t think the calls were that far off this game .

Not a bad 2nd half. Mitchell was great. Glad to see him hit a couple 3’s, but more importantly, he had good energy. The other guy is McCain. He had an off shooting game, but man does that kid rebound. A solid stat line, 11 and 10, but he also led us with 5 assists.

I still think Jon has to show some fire like we saw at halftime.

Watching the condensed highlights. It's BC not UNC or Tennessee, but I like our intensity.
McCain driving and scoring. Our best OAD guard in a while. He likely won't be back he's too good.
Flip getting his jumper blocked by BC. I tried to convince my dad this week that Flip's a pro, but this isn't helping. : )
Mitchell having a nice game. He is a key player for us. This is the MM we need.
Proctor is playing with an edge; that is a good thing.
Wow Stewart with a jump hook. He is slowly emerging. If he can bring this every game our ceiling raises. Still makes mental mistakes but the talent is elite.
Foster with some nice offense. If he can do this in March...
Mark Mitchell will likely not be a junior at Duke. He looks fantastic.
Roach is so steady. He looks healthier. Flip with a better second half.
15 point win. Definitely an improvement. Saw some good things today. MM hitting threes is a huge bonus.
BC is not that good (4-8 ACC) but I thought we looked very sharp. Nice win.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I’ve tried to not be too critical of Jon, cause I know he’s young. But we don’t have enough fight, no leadership. We shot no free throws, Flip had 0 rebounds.

This may seem minor to some, but I’ve seen Roach call off Jon from taking him out of the game. That shouldn’t happen.
You're right, and he wouldn't even try to shake off K.

OFC

Balanced attack by The Blue Devils, 5 guys scored in double figures, there were 19 assists on 30 made shots. Coach Scheyer played 10 guys which was nice to see. They seemed to play at a quicker pace this afternoon. On defense, The Blue Devils switched everything 1 through 5 and it worked!

McCain’s prowess to go after rebounds really sticks out to me! Flip played better today.

Have to Bring It against Wake Forest on Monday Night!!!
I think Monday nite will obviously bring the toughest test of the three game homestand. Wake will bring the most talent and best coach IMO of the three clubs.

Hilliard has carved us up driving downhill in the past, and we need to run Deacons shooters
(particularly Monsanto),off the 3pt line. Quick turnaround.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT