ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs BC

Wake will be a very tough team. I believe they would be a quad 1 win, or very close to it. That's a tournament team.,
Jimbo, amen. I hope we come out with the fire we showed vs BC 2nd half. Falls on Jon to have us ready.

One point for Jon: He really dogged officials at half, and it helped get us to FT line 2nd 20 minutes. He needs to BARK MORE!!!

OFC

Reactions: christophero
I asked my dad about this when we watched the ND game. He did not yell at refs but if another coach was he would ask the refs if he had to scream like a lunatic to get a call. Then he would get the next 2 calls ha. It's good that Jon is going out of his comfort zone; he doesn't have to yell but you need to get the ref's attention. And he said make up calls are very much a thing, at least in high school. He said a ref is far more likely to listen to a coach than a player. He was really impressed with McCain and Mitchell. He was comparing the way MM drove to the way Flip drove to the basket. He also pointed out that ND would often go 30 seconds before even getting the ball across the 3 point line.

Last edited:
I asked my dad about this when we watched the ND game. He did not yell at refs but if another coach was he would ask the refs if he had to scream like a lunatic to get a call. Then he would get the next 2 calls ha. It's good that Jon is going out of his comfort zone; he doesn't have to yell but you need to get the ref's attention. And he said make up calls are very much a thing, at least in high school. He said a ref is far more likely to listen to a coach than a player. He was really impressed with McCain and Mitchell. He was comparing the way MM drove to the way Flip drove to the basket. He also pointed out that ND would often go 30 seconds before even getting the ball across the 3 point line.
Oh yeah, working a ref is most definitely important. Just go back to our 15 title game. Wisconsin had been called for only 2 or 3 fouls in the first half. K made reference to that with the reporter at the half. I could imagine him also telling the refs something clever like “boy they only fouled us 2 times in 20 minutes. That is amazing!”
Duke was shooting in the one and one before 12 minutes left.

Jon has not only got to work the refs, but he’s got to step on the players toes every now and then.

I'm out of the country for a couple weeks, so only able to watch highlights and check box scores. The more I think about it, the more I think this team's future goes thru Proctor and Mitchell. When those two are on, we can complete with anyone in the country. When they struggle, we struggle, and I suspect that could ultimately be our downfall.

Don't get me wrong, other guys are important too, for certain. Stewart could be huge. Roach, Flip and McCain for sure are important. But the road to the final four rides on those two backs (Proctor and Mitchell) IMHO.

I'm out of the country for a couple weeks, so only able to watch highlights and check box scores. The more I think about it, the more I think this team's future goes thru Proctor and Mitchell. When those two are on, we can complete with anyone in the country. When they struggle, we struggle, and I suspect that could ultimately be our downfall.

Don't get me wrong, other guys are important too, for certain. Stewart could be huge. Roach, Flip and McCain for sure are important. But the road to the final four rides on those two backs (Proctor and Mitchell) IMHO.
Both are guys who can takeover games IMO.

OFC

Jon has not only got to work the refs, but he’s got to step on the players toes every now and then.
Glad you added "the players" Mac. No doubt about it. The "good cop" image needs to go in Jon's pocket more often. We need to see some "bad cop." March is sneaking up on us!!

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT