ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson

I'm gonna assume you hate the NBA. Danny Green would beat Frank Jackson 10-0 in 1 on 1 (From a Duke fan.) Shelvin Mack would have led us to a national championship this year WITH EASE, Frank barely started on a Round of 32 team. Dante Exum would run circles around Frank.
Green is fortunate that he went to the team he did. Exum couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Jackson didn't start for a while but he's much better than Matt Jones. Had Frank started all year, him going to nba wouldn't even be debatable. The kid can play. That's the most ridiculous statement to say he barely started for a round of 32 team. Like I told VA blue devil, time will tell. I don't hate the nba, I just think he's better than some of you say. Did you mean Mack in place of Matt Jones?

Reactions: hart2chesson
Jackson didn't start for a while but he's much better than Matt Jones. Had Frank started all year, him going to nba wouldn't even be debatable. The kid can play. That's the most ridiculous statement to say he barely started for a round of 32 team.

I dont think you would get any argument about Frank being a Better Player than Matt. Loved Matt to death, but for talent theres no comparison and that was my point if he starts all year hes a sure-fire OAD imo....He actually started ahead of Grayson as well.....

OFC

I dont think you would get any argument about Frank being a Better Player than Matt. Loved Matt to death, but for talent theres no comparison and that was my point if he starts all year hes a sure-fire OAD imo....He actually started ahead of Grayson as well.....

OFC
Jackson started when Grayson was hurt that don't count. Had he started from the beginning of the year and not come off the bench then yes he would be gone but don't act like he surpassed Allen. Allen got hurt for like his third time and Jackson started however during his starts there were games he disappeared in and Allen still shined coming off the bench. For what ever reason Jackson couldn't quite lock down the starting spot all season.

Jackson started when Grayson was hurt that don't count. Had he started from the beginning of the year and not come off the bench then yes he would be gone but don't act like he surpassed Allen. Allen got hurt for like his third time and Jackson started however during his starts there were games he disappeared in and Allen still shined coming off the bench. For what ever reason Jackson couldn't quite lock down the starting spot all season.
Yes he started for the injured Allen. But come on Shey, he didn't start earlier cause K was loyal to Matt. I'm not knocking Matt, hard working kid, but Jackson is much better. Grateful Matt was a Dukie but he was a role player for 4 years. Jackson I think will have a good pro career, it may take a year or 2 to adjust and learn but he has the tools

Hold on a minute my friend Shey, sure there was a time he started ahead of Grayson because of G's injuries, but Grayson had his game shape back pretty much by Brooklyn (FJ started) and I know this role was something G talked about w/Coach K. Grayson talked about what K wanted from him off the bench in that role as well.....So do not base it completely on injury. Thats wrong.

From a pure upside its not a stretch to say (in fact its very true I would offer) Frank has a higher upside than Grayson for the next level. You have to realize he was ranked as the 16th top prospect by NBA scouts last year in one mock draft that INCLUDED HS SENIORS. OFC

Hold on a minute my friend Shey, sure there was a time he started ahead of Grayson because of G's injuries, but Grayson had his game shape back pretty much by Brooklyn (FJ started) and I know this role was something G talked about w/Coach K. Grayson talked about what K wanted from him off the bench in that role as well.....So do not base it completely on injury. Thats wrong.

From a pure upside its not a stretch to say (in fact its very true I would offer) Frank has a higher upside than Grayson for the next level. You have to realize he was ranked as the 16th top prospect by NBA scouts last year in one mock draft that INCLUDED HS SENIORS. OFC
Duke needed help off the bench. So Grayson, after getting back to health kept coming off the bench. Don't act like Jackson took the starting spot from Allen.
I've always said Jackson was in the first round of this years draft up until Dukes pro day then he dropped to the second round then after the Kansas game came completely off the draft boards. Allen is a sg and a good example of what busting your tail can do for your stock Jackson on the other hand isn't helping his stock because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the kid needs to work on his overall skills as a pg. for the record the combine can hurt a prospect as much as it can help them. It can show your weakness are worse then what they appeared.
Also at that time Jackson was projected as the starting pg for Duke by every recruiting annylist and scout and was even said that was the writing on the wall for DT because Jackson was a better prospect. Funny how some draft boards now have DT going before Jackson in next years draft already. That's with DT not playing in a single game in the last year. Jackson can go or come back either is fine with me but his in ability to start at pg all season for a team lacking just that is the reason teams are telling him to go back to school. He's to short for a combo in the league but possess all the tools " if" he works at it to be a good pg.
By the way goodman can't figure out a thing. One minute he's tweeting the kids getting first round noise then he's being told to come back to school. Which is it. Clearly Frank knows or he would listen and come back so someone is telling him what he wants to hear.

Last edited:
Duke needed help off the bench. So Grayson, after getting back to health kept coming off the bench. Don't act like Jackson took the starting spot from Allen.
I've always said Jackson was in the first round of this years draft up until Dukes pro day then he dropped to the second round then after the Kansas game came completely off the draft boards. Allen is a sg and a good example of what busting your tail can do for your stock Jackson on the other hand isn't helping his stock because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the kid needs to work on his overall skills as a pg. for the record the combine can hurt a prospect as much as it can help them. It can show your weakness are worse then what they appeared.

So now you changed your argument to K needed help off the bench as the reason Jackson kept the starting role, not solely Grayson's injuries....Thats cool...Dont give Frank any credit.

How can you say Frank is not helping his stock by going thru the combine. Thats way off my man. At worst he gets feedback on his game to improve, and then possibly as one story out this week noted, Quin Snyder takes him w/the 30th pick or he goes somewhere else in the draft.....OFC

So now you changed your argument to K needed help off the bench as the reason Jackson kept the starting role, not solely Grayson's injuries....Thats cool...Dont give Frank any credit.

How can you say Frank is not helping his stock by going thru the combine. Thats way off my man. At worst he gets feedback on his game to improve, and then possibly as one story out this week noted, Quin Snyder takes him w/the 30th pick or he goes somewhere else in the draft.....OFC
Once again I'm not gonna say he got to start because of his play otherwise he would of started all year. Right?
Is that what I said? I said the combine can hurt your stock as much as it can help it. Case in point, Jackson goes to the combine shows he is weaker at the point then what he showed in college then comes back and doesn't improve then where does that leave his stock? Same as if he goes blows up the combine and stays in the draft. There are reasons why some of the top draft picks don't participate in the combine.
As for the bench part. If it was his play wouldn't he have started over Matt?
As far as the Jazz goes, They have Alec Burke, Donte Exum, Neto and one more pg under contract in 2017-18. They also have George Hill as UFA so they would have to dump at least two pg or combo because I don't see them giving up Hayward with tempting a max contract and Burke and Exums contract are at least 8 million a piece .

Last edited:
Once again I'm not gonna say he got to start because of his play otherwise he would of started all year. Right?
Is that what I said? I said the combine can hurt your stock as much as it can help it. Case in point, Jackson goes to the combine shows he is weaker at the point then what he showed in college then comes back and doesn't improve then where does that leave his stock? Same as if he goes blows up the combine and stays in the draft. There are reasons why some of the top draft picks don't participate in the combine.
As for the bench part. If it was his play wouldn't he have started over Matt?

Taking your last question first:NO.... K loves Matt as anyone on this board knows for the intangibles he brings to the table. I think no #2 guard starts over Matt this year because of the way K felt about Matt. Remember though Frank won the Coaches Award- first time a freshman won it in 19 yrs. That award speaks to dedication and values, and quite frankly I think much of that award had to do w/his acceptance of his role this year. Anywhere else generally he would have started.

You DID say the combine could go both ways in terms of a player's development. However you also said he "isnt helping his stock" because he needs to "work on his overall skills as a pg." Dont you think Frank knows this and has probably been training his tail off since season's end in prep for the combine? As Fran Fraschilla said today too, Frank has a "great wingspan." IMO, he plays taller than listed, and could still be a HUGE BOOST off the bench as a SG....

OFC

Nice article -- thanks for sharing @Laettner15

Get drafted late in the second round with the probable path of a couple of years in the D-League OR come back to Duke for another year and development more without the pressure to make it to the big league and work towards a degree.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Taking your last question first:NO.... K loves Matt as anyone on this board knows for the intangibles he brings to the table. I think no #2 guard starts over Matt this year because of the way K felt about Matt. Remember though Frank won the Coaches Award- first time a freshman won it in 19 yrs. That award speaks to dedication and values, and quite frankly I think much of that award had to do w/his acceptance of his role this year. Anywhere else generally he would have started.

You DID say the combine could go both ways in terms of a player's development. However you also said he "isnt helping his stock" because he needs to "work on his overall skills as a pg." Dont you think Frank knows this and has probably been training his tail off since season's end in prep for the combine? As Fran Fraschilla said today too, Frank has a "great wingspan." IMO, he plays taller than listed, and could still be a HUGE BOOST off the bench as a SG....

OFC
Ok then he's ok with going in the second round because there have been many players drafted in the second round that are good bench players in the league. So if that's the case then why would he need a first round guarantee if he's gonna get drafted as a combo.
I also don't understand why people undervalue the dleague. Look what it did for Seth Curry and Quinn Cook. So if the kid goes he goes I'm happy for him it's not like we hold much stock in his decision any way lol

Common sense says come back.. too bad not everyone has some

I think Frank has plenty and will do the right thing unless he's misguided in someway by the wrong person(s). Regardless, I think in retrospect hes doing a really smart thing, checking out his options to make millions with the looming probabilities of Duval getting the keys next year.

He could still come back and work hard as a combo guard next year for his NBA future, but ultimately probably wants to play pg at next level.Bottom line, hes doing the right thing for Frank rite now....OFC

Either way he will know after this weekend where he truly stands. Him and all 70 participants.
If the Jazz did somehow promise Frank a first round pick at thirty. Wonder who goes.

Reactions: germantondevil
The Jazz don't really need a point guard. George Hill, Shelvin Mack, Dante Exum, Raul Neto. I can't imagine he'd get a first-round guarantee from them. If they see FJ as an Avery Bradley-type player, well, that might be a different situation, then.

The Jazz don't really need a point guard. George Hill, Shelvin Mack, Dante Exum, Raul Neto. I can't imagine he'd get a first-round guarantee from them. If they see FJ as an Avery Bradley-type player, well, that might be a different situation, then.

By the same token Frank's a player w/a good upside, Snyder likes players from his mentor's system, and dont discount the local product angle with taking a player from Utah.

OFC

Goodman makes some fair points. I'm sure the Jacksons are receiving similar feedback from K.
Whatever he decides, I wish him well. He played hard and was a team-first player. If I was an owner, I'd be glad to have him on my team.

I also don't understand why people undervalue the dleague. Look what it did for Seth Curry and Quinn Cook. So if the kid goes he goes I'm happy for him it's not like we hold much stock in his decision any way lol

I wish I could find the article I read a few months ago, analyzing the success in the NBA of D-League players. As I recall, it was pretty ugly. Very few even got the 10-day contracts. An even smaller percentage ever worked their way into a full contract with an NBA team. For every Seth Curry there are 20 guys making $25k a year toiling away in Boise ID with no realistic hope of that changing.

Man, the NBA has silly money to throw around right now. College basketball is taking a beating the last two years. Ol' Roy hit the jackpot. I wonder if football concussions are feeding into this rosy outlook for pro basketball?

Don't these kids realize that players do return to school and player do get recruited and that it takes 5 players do put a team on the floor? I'm tired of these players waiting to see what others players are going to do. Players need to stop being scared of who's coming in next year. Come back to school and work your butt off and earn a starting spot

NBADraft.net does not have Frank in there 2017 mock draft, and #38 in 2018 mock draft.
DraftExpress does not have Frank in there 2017 mock draft, and #21 in 2018 mock draft (which sounds about right.)
These were both updated as of yesterday.

I'd still be shocked if Frank leaves. Do believe this will be the trend from here on out, any guy with even the slightest chance of getting drafted will be throwing there name in the draft. Doesn't hurt at all to get the feedback. Don't blame Frank for going through this process. Honestly am shocked Bolden didn't go through this process.

NBADraft.net does not have Frank in there 2017 mock draft, and #38 in 2018 mock draft.
DraftExpress does not have Frank in there 2017 mock draft, and #21 in 2018 mock draft (which sounds about right.)
These were both updated as of yesterday.

I'd still be shocked if Frank leaves. Do believe this will be the trend from here on out, any guy with even the slightest chance of getting drafted will be throwing there name in the draft. Doesn't hurt at all to get the feedback. Don't blame Frank for going through this process. Honestly am shocked Bolden didn't go through this process.[/QU

We'll see where he stands after the combine. I think he wants to see how he does in that. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT