ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson

Hey guys I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything but you had a son at Duke and he had a good freshman year but you were getting some info that he may be a 1st rounder but needed to declare without an agent , go to the combine and see what happens there then make your decision what would you do. I tell you what my son and I would do. The exact same thing Frank Jackson has done. If he sees he's not a 1st rounder then Coach K surely will welcome him back with open arms. He's his father for goodness sakes and he wants what's best for his son just like the rest of us. Now if Frank is not a 1st rounder then it's a completely different story. OFC.

Hey guys I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything but you had a son at Duke and he had a good freshman year but you were getting some info that he may be a 1st rounder but needed to declare without an agent , go to the combine and see what happens there then make your decision what would you do. I tell you what my son and I would do. The exact same thing Frank Jackson has done. If he sees he's not a 1st rounder then Coach K surely will welcome him back with open arms. He's his father for goodness sakes and he wants what's best for his son just like the rest of us. Now if Frank is not a 1st rounder then it's a completely different story. OFC.

As a father, I would absolutely do the same thing. You can't fault a kid or his family for looking out for their future in a system that really doesn't care to do that for them (I'm talking the NCAA, not an individual school or coach).

So, I think I said the same thing, I mean I meant the same thing, but somehow someone thinks I have a different meaning.

And @skysdad -- I'm trying not to be a smart ass either...

Reactions: skysdad

Agree 100%

Reactions: skysdad
I also believe that parents sometimes can get in the way of their kids and fill them with hopes that may not be there...yet. He has potential but as a parent I'd lean on the coach on his thoughts. Frank had a great ending but look at all the other kids in the draft who are that much better, on top of the other positions that teams need, plus the guys who get drafted from overseas that no one has mentioned. His dad thinks he will go above all those guys...whatever! I wish him luck but will also welcome him back if he not get what he wants.

The plan coming in was for him to be OAD. He played well enough that it may be possible.
If he gets a good first round offer, I wish him well and look forward to hearing news from Duval soon.

The plan coming in was for him to be OAD. He played well enough that it may be possible.
If he gets a good first round offer, I wish him well and look forward to hearing news from Duval soon.
The plan for Frank was to be OAD?

His dad did comment after season, had Frank gone anywhere other than Duke he would have been OAD. Read into that what you will- I think he meant Frank would have been more SHOWCASED more in any other program, in his way of thinking,

OFC

Well after watching some of the nba playoffs, there's no doubt in my mind he's better than some of the talent out there.

His dad did comment after season, had Frank gone anywhere other than Duke he would have been OAD. Read into that what you will- I think he meant Frank would have been more SHOWCASED more in any other program, in his way of thinking,

OFC

I took it to mean Frank really enjoyed his time at Duke, which is making it harder for Frank to leave for the NBA. If he was somewhere he enjoyed less it would be an easier decision to leave for the NBA.

Until he hires an agent I'm assuming he's giving the combine a legit shot, waiting to hear what NBA teams think,and then making a decision. I think we'll all have to wait as well.

I took it to mean Frank really enjoyed his time at Duke, which is making it harder for Frank to leave for the NBA. If he was somewhere he enjoyed less it would be an easier decision to leave for the NBA.

Definitely a positive way of looking at it!

OFC

Just to be clear, here's what Frank's dad said:

"Frank has always wanted to be in the NBA. He went to Duke for a variety of reasons, and we absolutely made the right decision. If he had gone anywhere else, we wouldn't have had to struggle with this decision. Frank would've been a one-and-done player with no doubt."

Y'all can draw your own conclusions from this but I think the first part ("we absolutely made the right decision") should inform how one views the second part.

"Frank has always wanted to be in the NBA. He went to Duke for a variety of reasons, and we absolutely made the right decision. If he had gone anywhere else, we wouldn't have had to struggle with this decision. Frank would've been a one-and-done player with no doubt."

Y'all can draw your own conclusions from this but I think the first part ("we absolutely made the right decision") should inform how one views the second part.

I still always thought there was a veiled reference to if Frank been given the keys and started in place of Matt Jones, there would have been NO DOUBT he would have blossomed further in his rookie campaign...
Thusly he would have been an obvious OAD....

OFC

OFC

Agreed. Maybe it is my Duke-colored glasses, but I find it hard to interpret the quote as anything other than if he were anywhere else he would leave, but since he is at Duke, a high quality place, there are enough reasons to stay to make it a tough choice.

id do the same.....we have fandom and the hopes/joy of the upcoming season....these kids and their families have millions of dollars decisions to make

Any idea of what is going on at the combine today?It will bo on ESPN2 starting Thursday,I would assume the five on fives then.

Any idea of what is going on at the combine today?It will bo on ESPN2 starting Thursday,I would assume the five on fives then.

I think generally speaking it's measurements first, then athletic tests, then 5 on 5 scrimmages. But I haven't seen a specific schedule for this year.

Reactions: sheyduke
I think it's measurements then athletic drills by position while five on five is going on.

Contributing to the discussion earlier, I 100% believe Frank would have been an automatic OAD had he gone to a lower tier/major conference program, take Wake Forest for example. He would have started every game and been the top guard.

However, Frank chose to play on a Duke team which preseason was supposed to be "one of the greatest ever." I can't imagine Frank ever expected to be a full time starter on last years team, if he did than he made a mistake.
To me, he seemed 2-and-done from the get go. Meaning I will be highly dissapointed if he leaves. Not to mention, if he goes, it could be one of our weakest teams over the years.

Well after watching some of the nba playoffs, there's no doubt in my mind he's better than some of the talent out there.

Who exactly is this freshman better than that's in the NBA right now you are watching? This should be good

Are you talking about someone that is actually on the court playing? Or the last man on the bench that comes out to give the players in the game a high 5 during a timeout?

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
Who exactly is this freshman better than that's in the NBA right now you are watching? This should be good

Are you talking about someone that is actually on the court playing? Or the last man on the bench that comes out to give the players in the game a high 5 during a timeout?
He's as good as Shelvin Mack and Exum from Utah, he could really help San Antonio against Houston. Jackson is better than you're giving him credit for, I think he's as good or better than Danny Green, and if he would have ran point for Duke all season, you would see that. The kid is explosive and has range

He's as good as Shelvin Mack and Exum from Utah, he could really help San Antonio against Houston. Jackson is better than you're giving him credit for, I think he's as good or better than Danny Green, and if he would have ran point for Duke all season, you would see that. The kid is explosive and has range

Sure he is....take off your duke glasses pal...right now he is not better than any of those guys...as much as you want to believe it it's just not true

Reactions: 2 skerz 3
IMHO -- I don't think he is better than Danny Green is right now. Maybe at the same age FJ is better, but not now. Could he be? Absolutely.

Now now fellas. No one will really know until he gets in the league.

I'm gonna assume you hate the NBA. Danny Green would beat Frank Jackson 10-0 in 1 on 1 (From a Duke fan.) Shelvin Mack would have led us to a national championship this year WITH EASE, Frank barely started on a Round of 32 team. Dante Exum would run circles around Frank.

I think Frank could help some NBA teams right now at guard, but I hope he stays put. To me if Frank had been afforded the same opportunity as say Matt last season, he would CLEARLY have been a OAD.

If theres one thing I would have done differently than Coach K last year it would have been start Frank and bring Matt off the bench. Our defense was never really that good, and Frank could have maybe avg 15-16 pts per game IMO.

However thats just my innocent post on a message board and my opinion only.Quite honestly though I think if Frank had started he would have declared by now and hired an agent.

OFC

I'm gonna assume you hate the NBA. Danny Green would beat Frank Jackson 10-0 in 1 on 1 (From a Duke fan.) Shelvin Mack would have led us to a national championship this year WITH EASE, Frank barely started on a Round of 32 team. Dante Exum would run circles around Frank.
Danny Green and Mack I'm with you. Exum has been a let down since coming into the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT