ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

No matte who coach plays between White and AOC at one end or the other it’s 4 on 5. AOC is a defensive liability and White is like 0 for 2019 behind the arch.
I agree...I think we have enough talent on the defensive side when everyone is healthy to offset AOC lapses and he helps us spread the floor for driving and for Zion inside..but I can totally see the flip side also..we are talented enough with Zion to score so a player that’s better defensively tightens us up on that side of the court..

the disappointment is the reaction to break out games by the fringe players...Goldwire - brilliant play against UL...his reward....no PT of meaning in the next few games...AOC....welcome to the party, 20pts...now sit the bench and watch us struggle to score. Bolden/White..watch the cuse game, them play against VT...if they are not confused then I am...i would think if you affect a game and show some ability you get rewarded..but its the reverse...

the disappointment is the reaction to break out games by the fringe players...Goldwire - brilliant play against UL...his reward....no PT of meaning in the next few games...AOC....welcome to the party, 20pts...now sit the bench and watch us struggle to score. Bolden/White..watch the cuse game, them play against VT...if they are not confused then I am...i would think if you affect a game and show some ability you get rewarded..but its the reverse...

Maybe he’s afraid of tired legs so he’s alternating

I kid but it’s stupid

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
The defense is just bad the last three weeks

No, the defense has been iffy all year. When the other team was stupid or careless with the ball, we made them pay with TOs which we turned into easy transition buckets. Teams are being very careful with passes and drives, cutting out the easy TOs which made our D look better than it was. We were feast or famine. When we don't turn them over, or get weakside blocks, the other team gets a good look. Not a wide open look, but the kind of high quality shot that every coach is perfectly happy with. As teams have improved on O over the season, we have gotten fewer steals.

The thing that bothers me is we haven't had a game yet outside of Kentucky that we have just dominated. Cam being a top five pick with Zion out and RJ sick should have scored forty tonight.

Reactions: pisgah101
The thing that bothers me is we haven't had a game yet outside of Kentucky that we have just dominated. Cam being a top five pick with Zion out and RJ sick should have scored forty tonight.

Yep that game set us up to be considered amazing and we’ve really just coasted on that all year

Reactions: Laettner
Cam has to learn to finish around the rim

I haven’t read through this thread, so I don’t know if it’s been discussed, but the spacing on offense and ability to run are terrible without Zion on the floor.

We aren’t throwing away a #1 seed, we are trying to get through a season while dealing with important players being out for extended parts of it.

This loss did not take us off the 1 line. Losing if Zion comes back will take us off the 1 line.

Getting the 1 seed with UK as our 2 in the south, to be played in Louisville, is throwing away the 1 seed. There is 1 number 1 seed worth having for this Duke team, and it is in the East. Anything else is a failure.

The players should hold a meeting with K after this one and ask him what he was thinking and feeling....he told them everyone needed to be counted on and tonight he was MIA on the bench for them.....good coaching would have pulled this one out for us tonight...it was quite winnable....
Damn dude, did Coach K steal your puppy?

Reactions: dbav and skysdad
We used to make more FT than the other team made....yet that isnt the case any more. When was the last ime we shot or made more than our opposition...we dont drive the basket like we used to....especially from the PG position

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
I will feel a lot better if Arkansas can hang on and beat KY, as well as if Cuse beat the cheats. I guess I better prepare myself to get in the fetal position and cry myself to sleep lol. Duke is fine, I just got off the phone with the GOAT and told him not to ever pull that crap again and either get Zion ready for Sat or give Zion his bionic knee.

Getting the 1 seed with UK as our 2 in the south, to be played in Louisville, is throwing away the 1 seed. There is 1 number 1 seed worth having for this Duke team, and it is in the East. Anything else is a failure.

And do we still control our destiny for the 1 seed in the east?

I'd feel better if once we got a lead we didnt give up an easy basket...lets get that killer Duke instinct when we get a lead...we seem to let the other team score or we put up a bad shot. When did we squeeze the life out of a team by scoring and then defending on consecutive posessions?

No, the defense has been iffy all year. When the other team was stupid or careless with the ball, we made them pay with TOs which we turned into easy transition buckets. Teams are being very careful with passes and drives, cutting out the easy TOs which made our D look better than it was. We were feast or famine. When we don't turn them over, or get weakside blocks, the other team gets a good look. Not a wide open look, but the kind of high quality shot that every coach is perfectly happy with. As teams have improved on O over the season, we have gotten fewer steals.

I am not happy with the play of late but your lack of ability to give credit to this team is very frustrating to observe

[glances through last few pages of the thread]

giphy.gif

Reactions: dbav
Like losing another game, at UNC, and then possibly again in the ACCT? We'd have finished 3rd in the reg season, and not have won the tourney. That isn't a 1 seed.

If we lose those games with Zion would winning tonight have mattered in the slightest? You are insufferable as a fan. You are only happy when there are things to critique.

We got outplayed plain and simple...they wanted it more and it showed.

Either hope Zion is back or we're looking at sweet 16 or maybe elite game max

Guys, relax. We're going to be fine. RJ was sick, Zions out, it was a trap game. We are still the favorite to win it all with Zion back. It's one game, we will crush Miami and take UNC out next meeting. Good things are coming, it sucks I know but I have so much faith in this team, even when we were down 4 with like 5 seconds left I thought we would still some how win.

I'm not happy with how the team is playing right now. I understand that not having Zion changes everything, but there's been some troubling regression going on aside from RJ's play. Tre Jones in particular. Reddish regularly commits some of the most horrible turnovers.

With all that said, our win at Virginia was an excellent win. One of the best wins any team has had all year.

Per Coach K, RJ was sick...not an excuse but it would be nice to be healthy so we can take everyones best shot without one arm tied behind our back....though some decisions are still confusing

The old “player x was sick” he may of been but you hear that a lot when teams get their behinds handed to em

The dynamic of this board changes a lot, when we lose. Things can change. We are ina constant state of flux, and the way these guys can turn it on, what if it stays on? We don’t know anything, right now.

Some of you are so funny. Y’all really go in meltdown mode smh. We will be just fine. We will get Zion back and be back to normal. This is not the team that will play in the tournament. Plus it has only been 2 games that this lineup without Zion has played. We don’t have an identity yet. One game we’re preparing for the zone and then next game we’re preparing for a completely different. This is a young team and that takes time. When Zion comes back we get back to normal. We’re missing a guy that’s pretty much 20 and 10 while shooting 70% and plays elite defense. I don’t have a worry in the world with this team. Even Coach K can’t lose us a game with the full squad at this point. Talent takes over.

Please bench Jack White! He’s useless at this point

Reactions: BlueDaveil
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT