ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs UNC

And our defense is really poor. It really hasn’t improved at all.

Very true.

1. No communication on picks.
2. Constantly had big men on guards and vice versa.
3. Scrambling all over the place and leaving 3 point shooters open all over the court!

Harrison Ingram reminds me of the impact Justice Winslow had for your last title team. Strong SF that is played out of position at the 4 and ends up outhustling everyone on the floor.

Reactions: ioliva
Very true.

1. No communication on picks.
2. Constantly had big men on guards and vice versa.
3. Scrambling all over the place and leaving 3 point shooters open all over the court!
#2 is a huge problem. We have been doing it the entire year on our Pick and Roll defense.

There hasn’t been a single adjustment to it all year.

Duke had too many turnovers tonight that was the difference in the game, turnovers forced and fast break points both categories favoring Unc.

Flip, Roach, and McCain played Great. Don’t understand why Foster did not get much run if any in the 2nd half, I thought he played really well in the 1st half. Mitchell played his worst defensive game tonight which is very uncharacteristic of him and Ingram made Duke pay for it. They held Davis in check tonight. Proctor also did not play well tonight.

Good basketball game tonight, Unc took care of the ball and Duke didn’t. Onto the next game.

That unfortunately was the biggest difference tonight. If he plays an average game Duke is in it at the end. It was almost if Duke was better playing Foster tonight even though he foul out too .
I said he was our X factor and he didn't show up. The turnovers killed us, but Rese has to be better. As I said to a good friend of mine, hopefully he takes that junior leap because he's not going to the NBA.

I agree Proctor played well defensively, but on the offensive end he was very bad. Duke needed more from Proctor, Mitchell, Young, and Stewart tonight.

Flip, Roach, McCain, and Foster (in his limited minutes in the 1st half), all did their part.

I was pretty upset at first but don't feel quite as bad about this loss after some time to digest. It just sucks to lose to Carolina no matter what.

On a positive note, McCain was great. His not only our best scorer, he's debatably our best rebounder. If he was a taller I'm certain he would lead the team in rebounds. He was great tonight in his first experience in a moment like that. Kyle played decent. He played hard. Jeremy was good and helped us keep it close. I thought he and Tyrese did a nice job most of the night defending Davis. Lastly, I thought Jon had a really good game plan. He doubled Bacot with whoever was guarding Cadeau. That was smart, the execution wasn't the best, and I have to give Bacot some credit for that. He's clearly learned some things in his 14 years of college. Jon also did finally try a little zone, and a zone press that shifted back to man to man. I was glad to see those things.

Tyrese was not good offensively, and was hardly noticeable out there. He cannot let that happen. That's how he looked earlier in the year, but had been better lately. Mitchell was okay but his man went off on offense, so overall not very good. That said, Ingram was on fire. That's not what he is typically like. But he deserves credit and did get some open shots and hit them. Overall, we have problems defensively, and we don't do a good job of playing good at pace. When things get sped up, we don't defend well and we turn the ball over too much. Honestly, 11 turnovers isn't that bad, but you just can't have against a team like UNC who loves to run.

As others have said it, but we didn't lose because of the refs, not at all. But they were definitely bad. Without even looking closely there were about a dozen uncalled shoves in the back amongst other non calls. Yes, we need to be tough and physical, but some of that stuff was easy calls that they just didn't make. And Bilas - I'm not as down on him as many, but I was losing my mind when he couldn't see the hook and hold on Davis at the end. I literally thought he must be blind. But more likely he was just going along with UNC crowd, which is ridiculous.

I said he was our X factor and he didn't show up. The turnovers killed us, but Rese has to be better. As I said to a good friend of mine, hopefully he takes that junior leap because he's not going to the NBA.
As of right now, I don't see how he leaves because of the inconsistency. We shall see what the rest of the season holds.

No Argument. Flip was alone. UNC got the 50/50 ball. You can't teach hustle. Playing at Chapel Hill is a Monster 🤯💀!

@timritterus, I hardly get loud like I used to. But the hook and hold by Davis had me yelling at Bilas.
On the subject of him, he irritated me a little tonight. Think this was one of those moments where he appeared to be fawning over the holes a little too much. Especially over some of the contact I felt didn’t go our way.

Then again, I might be a little biased.

Really I haven’t been a fan of Jay for a long time. He jumped ship to make other fan bases happy to make money. Trying to be the next Dickie V. Guess what UNC can have him.
Don't know a single Duke fan who likes him. He's the worst. Huge difference in prime time college announcing between him and Kirk in college football. That pains me because Kirk is an OSU grad and I'm a PSU grad, but he calls it fair. Jay is so ain't Duke it's weird.

The defensive gameplan to me has been masterful but hard to make up the lack of hustle, lack of protecting the ball, and refs

Oh well we’re the better team regardless of the score board. We get it together we will blitz them in Cameron
I agree we shut Davis down and Ingram just killed us

Reactions: pisgah101
Really I haven’t been a fan of Jay for a long time. He jumped ship to make other fan bases happy to make money. Trying to be the next Dickie V. Guess what UNC can have him.
Prob a case of trying so hard to appear not to be a Duke guy that he goes too far in the other direction, but I just don’t like his style. And when he tries to make a joke, it’s painful to listen to. I like Shulman away from Bilas okay, but they don’t sync somehow together

Don't know a single Duke fan who likes him. He's the worst. Huge difference in prime time college announcing between him and Kirk in college football. That pains me because Kirk is an OSU grad and I'm a PSU grad, but he calls it fair. Jay is so ain't Duke it's weird.
Haha I’m a Penn State Grad too and you are 100% correct about Kirk. Bilas just tries to please certain fan bases on purpose. Mostly UNC & Kentucky because they are two of the biggest. He always dogs Duke and points out we get all the calls. Where is he tonight with pointing out Duke had no FT in the first half?? That’s laughable

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Prob a case of trying so hard to appear not to be a Duke guy that he goes too far in the other direction, but I just don’t like his style. And when he tries to make a joke, it’s painful to listen to. I like Shulman away from Bilas okay, but they don’t sync somehow together

Nah, he's just a massive POS. Duke should literally ban him from the campus. A pompous prick that goes out of his way to promote Duke hate every game he calls. Can't believe the university tolerates his BS.

I see why everyone gets upset with these two. Though I agree with Denver, both are Duke through and through. Bilas is a Duke guy, and he breaks down the game well. I usually don't mind him. Tonight, he wasn't even close to his best. Both Jay's bleed Duke blue. But they need to quit trying too hard to seem unbiased. There is no denying that their words have definitely led to some being soured on these two.

Reactions: dadecodevil
Tennessee About to have a really impressive win at Kentucky. Another example how important it is to have upper class men leadership than 5 star freshmens. Bigger, tougher, more experience.

I see why everyone gets upset with these two. Though I agree with Denver, both are Duke through and through. Bilas is a Duke guy, and he breaks down the game well. I usually don't mind him. Tonight, he wasn't even close to his best. Both Jay's bleed Duke blue. But they need to quit trying too hard to seem unbiased. There is no denying that their words have definitely led to some being soured on these two.
I don’t think you can bleed Duke blue and say or insinuate you would’ve transferred to Carolina.

My coworker , who hasn’t been into college basketball in a long time, watched the second half of the game and he literally texted me “ damn bro you would think bilas played at unc”

I don’t think you can bleed Duke blue and say or insinuate you would’ve transferred to Carolina.

My coworker , who hasn’t been into college basketball in a long time, watched the second half of the game and he literally texted me “ damn bro you would think bilas played at unc”
J-Will gave us three years, and his jersey is in the rafters. And he left it all out there, winning 3 ACC titles and an NT. I think he went too far with his antics. But that's what I see them as. I won't turn on the guy because of a stupid comment. And Bilas is a K-guy. Undoubtedly, he bleeds Duke blue and loves the university. But he has a job, and I think he leans too heavily in trying to seem not a Duke guy, which has led to the reaction he has gotten from many in the fanbase. I'm not excusing their comments; I'm only providing context and saying that I don't question their loyalty to K, Jon, and the program.

Tennessee About to have a really impressive win at Kentucky. Another example how important it is to have upper class men leadership than 5 star freshmens. Bigger, tougher, more experience.
Tennessee lost to South Carolina earlier this week.

UK playing without their starting point guard Wagner, who is injured.

That is my thing against both of them, yes they played with Coach K and have a relationship with him but seems like they have turned on Duke. As a fan, I root for Duke if you are against or bash Duke I’m against you even if you played for the program. These two have not been for the program for a few years now. I won’t back them at all. They can go to UNC if they want and both seem to indicate that in the past.

Tennessee lost to South Carolina earlier this week.

UK playing without their starting point guard Wagner, who is injured.
They both lost to south Carolina. My point was that it is more important to have upper class men than young guys who haven't been in the moment of big games like tonight. But you do you.

They shot the lights out. Way too many wide open 3s and they got all the loose balls. We battled hard but they were just better tonight. Payback at our place. Oh and Ingram was the difference that guy is good. Shout out to McCain for a great game. Flip and Roach played well. If we let the Notre Dame transfer take open 3s....
**** I can make that shot. Our 3 point D was not good tonight. Proctor and Michell were outplayed. Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT