ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs AZ

I’m not yall act like you didn’t see this being an issue . Rebounding was always going to be an issue with this team . I’m fine with the loss . Yall aren’t !

I’m not a “yall” I never said anything about having an issue with the L I think we have room for improvement and Jon knows that too..

Reactions: Mac9192
Are you really comparing Stewart and Mitchell to hill and Lang? Yikes
The only comparison is how effective you can be at that size (6’8-6’9). In terms of rebounding and defense.

No need to create a strawman.

The fact is this. Stewart even at 6’9 is and will be a better player than Young and Reeves in almost every metric we are weak at. Thats defense in the paint and rebounding.

• Haha
Reactions: Fourteen44
Omg who is coming to Duke with Flip Returning? Who ? He tried no one was interested you act like this is the NBA
Omg shedrick isn’t even starting and you act like flip returning scared him away 😂

The only comparison is how effective you can be at that size (6’8-6’9). In terms of rebounding and defense.

No need to create a strawman.

The fact is this. Stewart even at 6’9 is and will be a better player than Young and Reeves in almost every metric we are weak at. Thats defense in the pain and rebounding.
looking at size only is a straw man 😂

Get out with this weak sauce.

Ps - your subjectivity at the end does nothing to show why you idiotically compared these two to hill and Lang.

We are a finesse team right now. We need to be tougher. This is not a dominant Arizona team maybe a 3/4 seed. We will be good, but to be great we need to get a mean streak. Bounce back and beat MSU and we will be fine. No one is scared of us any more we need an edge.

Maybe the staff tried. But who wants to come in with the roster that we had? It’s basic math. Any decent one would want 20+ minutes.
Shedrick only played 12 minutes against a cupcake and isnt even starting
Evidently it scared every center offered away otherwise theyed be wearing a Duke jersey!
Incorrect. That doesn’t mean it was flip coming back that scared the 2 centers scheyer looked at. He didn’t tap into the portal like he should’ve his first year. We’re paying for it. And we’re going to pay for it again next year unless reeves makes a huge jump. Scheyer wanted to get older … but his roster building isn’t supporting that.

Mitchell didn’t Kill Duke unless he’s jacking up three’s ! He’s coming off an ankle injury . Flips turn into the defender and not score is not offense . Dukes guards will have to rebound period !
Uh yes he did, jacking 3’s early in the shot clock cost us some key possessions. That’s not his game.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Geez haha some of you are already worrying about the season after losing to a solid Arizona team. Do any of you actually enjoy the journey of a season any more?

1st half goes to AZ
2nd half goes to Duke
AZ just made more clutch plays in the end

Believe it or not the blue devils get more out of this loss than they would have blowing out The Citadel tonight.

I am looking forward to watching our guys play in Chicago on Tuesday night.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Last post pointing this out but two biggest takeaways in my opinion.

1. Ryan Young killed us and his minutes need to go elsewhere. He severely limits our potential.
2. What happened to the "crazies"? Being a kid growing up in the 90s, they were infectious and you were so drawn to Duke because of them. Absolutely pathetic home crowd tonight. Has to improve but this generation of kids are a odd bunch.

Last post pointing this out but two biggest takeaways in my opinion.

1. Ryan Young killed us and his minutes need to go elsewhere. He severely limits our potential.
2. What happened to the "crazies"? Being a kid growing up in the 90s, they were infectious and you were so drawn to Duke because of them. Absolutely pathetic home crowd tonight. Has to improve but this generation of kids are a odd bunch.
What else can you expect from a 23 and younger crowd which was going through a phase of eating tide pods a few years ago?

What if Duke starts 1-2? Is this a must win game now versus MSU?
In no world is the 3rd game of the year a must win. My goodness. Our early season schedule is brutal and the committee historically doesn't hold those type of losses against a squad come selection Sunday.

We will be fine and have a few easy games after MSU to lick our wounds. Arizona is a damn good team.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Duke Corey if Duke starts out on 1-2, I am sure some of you will throw the towel in and say Duke needs to fire Scheyer and none of the kids on the Duke roster will be good enough to play in the nba some day.

I was just thinking that. MSU lost too, so both teams will be hungry for a win. 1-2 not the end of the world but not a great start.
Good chance it’s 1-2 as msu guards may light this Duke D up.
Duke Corey if Duke starts out on 1-2, I am sure some of you will throw the towel in and say Duke needs to fire Scheyer and none of the kids on the Duke roster will be good enough to play in the nba some day.
I don’t see anyone saying that but Jon was painfully outcoached the entire game.

I think we will beat MSU. If we don't that will mean we have lost to the last 3 good teams we played, and yes that is concerning. But I think we beat the Spartans.

Fourteen44, Scheyer made the right adjustments at the half, that’s why Arizona had more turnovers in the game and why dukes offense was better in the 2nd half and they dominated the points off defense mark. Yes, AZ won the game, but Duke outscored AZ in the 2nd half.

Also, I made my comment above because the past 2 seasons prior to this one, those things were said a lot about our players.

Reactions: Mac9192
What are you talking about?? I was asking a serious question since the ACC is very weak and if Duke loses two of its marquee games their seeding will be hurt. I think this game is more important than you think. Where will the quality wins come from?? Is it guaranteed any ACC win will be quality in the committee eyes?

Reactions: Fourteen44
Fourteen44, Scheyer made the right adjustments at the half, that’s why Arizona had more turnovers in the game and why dukes offense was better in the 2nd half and they dominated the points off defense mark. Yes, AZ won the game, but Duke outscored AZ in the 2nd half.

Also, I made my comment above because the past 2 seasons prior to this one, those things were said a lot about our players.
Scheyer made the right adjustments…..yet lost the game, closed the margin by 3, and got smoked on the boards. Awesome.

What are you talking about?? I was asking a serious question since the ACC is very weak and if Duke loses two of its marquee games their seeding will be hurt. I think this game is more important than you think. Where will the quality wins come from?? Is it guaranteed any ACC win will be quality in the committee eyes?

Miami is a pretty solid squad in the ACC. Also Duke goes to Arkansas later this month and plays a neutral site game against Baylor. So Tuesday is not the last opportunity for a quality win. So no it’s not a must win game dukecorey

Reactions: Duke Blu
Miami is a pretty solid squad in the ACC. Also Duke goes to Arkansas later this month and plays a neutral site game against Baylor. So Tuesday is not the last opportunity for a quality win. So no it’s not a must win game dukecorey
I disagree, I think Miami, Arkansas & Baylor will be boarder line top 20 teams most of the season. But we will see. I think Duke needs this one against MSU on Tuesday. Who starts 1-2, neither team wants that.

Chris haha I was just refuting the statement that Scheyer got out coached all game. Did we forget that out of bounds play he drew up for Roach from the sideline with the shot clock winding down in the 2nd half? The majority of us were excited for Duke to challenge themselves in the non conference with Arizona, MSU, @Arky, and Baylor, so if Duke drops a couple of these games to these 4 teams it’s not the end of the world.

Reactions: christophero
I agree this is not a bad loss and can help us. But it does make the MSU game more important.

Duke is almost in the Gonzaga situation where it has to schedule tougher with how bad the ACC has become. These non conference games are very important now for seeding, just look at last season. The ACC will be even weaker this season. These wins are very important

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT