ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs AZ

pisgah101

Dec 26, 2005
⏰ 7pm
📍 Cameron indoor
📺 espn2

One of the matchups I’ve been excited about since it was announced, the 12th ranked Arizona wildcats come into Cameron tonight in front of “Cameron” and his brother. We’ve had some good games against AZ and some bad ones but this one should be fun!

AZ is coached by Tommy Loyd the 2022 national coach of the year.. off to a great start in his short head coaching career after being a Gonzaga assistant for 22 seasons. Also on staff is former UNC assistant Steve Robinson, hopefully he gets to experience another painful L to duke along with everyone’s favorite guard Caleb Love!

Key to the game- we need Mitchell to play, and I believe he will.. strong post play will be important as well!

Duke- 89
AZ- 72

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourteen44
82-76 Duke win

And on Mitchell, at least from Proctor's and Scheyer's comments, it looks like he will play tonight, which is a big relief for us

Will Mitchell play and how heathy is he is the big question. I think we win, being at home gives us the edge. Interested to see how the freshman do on a big stage. Wouldn't be a bad loss, but I think we get the W tonight. It's great having guys like Roach, Blakes and Young tonight who has been there many times. I think this year's team will be more consistent due to our experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffrey236
I think we find a way to get the win. It's no small task, and agreed, a well contested loss this early in the year would not be the end of the world, but I just feel like our veteran backcourt gets the job done tonight. I am expecting big games from Roach and Proctor.

Duke 81
Arizona 75

Last edited:
I think we find a way to get the win. It's no small task, and agreed, a well contested loss this early in the year would not be the end of the world, but I just feel like our veteran backcourt gets the job done tonight. I am expecting big games from Roach and Proctor.

Duke 81
Kansas 75
Kansas?!? 😉

If we win by double digits, this team is elite. Tough to see that happening. Zona is damn good.

Last edited:
Caleb Love seems to love playing in Cameron Indoor, minus last year. If he goes off, could be a nail biter.
If he shoots 2-15 which is definitely a possibility, we win by 10+.

Reactions: christophero
Caleb Love seems to love playing in Cameron Indoor, minus last year. If he goes off, could be a nail biter.
If he shoots 2-15 which is definitely a possibility, we win by 10+.
While he’s 2-1 in Cameron, his only good shooting performance was year one when there were zero fans. In his second two visits he’s a combined 9-29 from the field and 4-14 from three.

We’re down 4-5 to Arizona all-time, so it’s time to even the score. Four of our games against them stand out to me. The first was when we played them in the Meadowlands in 1989, ranked 9 (us) and 2 (them), when Laettner missed a crucial free throw at the end and we lost 77-75. Coach K liked to point to that miss as something that prepared Laettner for his future clutch greatness. The next year we played them at Cameron (we were ranked 3 and they were ranked 21), and the night before my girlfriend (now my wife) and I went out to dinner, and the Arizona team was seated next to us. A number of their players were googling my girlfriend (still now my wife), so I had to throw a beat-down on a few of them to make it stop. Well, okay, I made that last part up. But we won the next day 78-76, and I and my girlfriend (ultimately my wife) were in the student section. I think the Arizona players were distracted by my girlfriend and future wife. In 1991 we played them away, and we lost in 2OT, 96-103. But we know how that year ended. Then, in 2001, we beat them in Minneapolis for the Natty, highlighted by Battier’s incredible tip-in and Dunleavy going berserk in a 90 second span. And, to make things even sweeter, my wife (my former girlfriend) and I were at that game! I’m not sure if tonight will bring such great memories, but I’m looking forward to the game. And to add to the occasion, my youngest son (yes, from my wife and former girlfriend) will be at the game!

Win or lose, Flip at the 5 isn’t sustainable. And 30 seconds in we see how big of a liability Young can be.

Regardless, LGD! Mitchell looks good.

Reactions: Duke Blu and Dad2ze
Clearly gonna need Stewart and Reeves. Gotta get them ready. They are the difference. As of now, any foul trouble on Flip and or Mitchell is HUGE.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT