ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs AZ

I also believe the coaching staff will continue to learn and make opponents adjust to Duke’s small ball line up at times (opponents Scheyer and company feel Duke is faster and better conditioned than).

I like going to games and watching their teams sustain losses, some of those Kentucky fans cry after a loss haha. I witnessed it in 2015 when they lost to Wisconsin and again last year in the Champions Classic when Michigan State beat them. I am talking about 30-40 year old Kentucky male fans crying and throwing tantrums because their basketball team lost hahaha.

I like going to games and watching their teams sustain losses, some of those Kentucky fans cry after a loss haha. I witnessed it in 2015 when they lost to Wisconsin and again last year in the Champions Classic when Michigan State beat them. I am talking about 30-40 year old Kentucky male fans crying and throwing tantrums because their basketball team lost hahaha.
All that state has is the old glory days of a relevant program, and small weddings since its only one family attending.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Losses are good because they can expose flaws or things that need improving. MSU was ranked higher than Arizona in some preseason polls so we need to be ready. They will come at us and be physical. Great way to prepare for the season by playing these tough teams.

I think Michigan State returned 4 starters, I can be wrong, but I think Hauser is the only one missing from last season’s starting line up. Izzo will have them ready.

Reactions: christophero
Looking at highlights Mitchell doesn't seem 100%. This team really needs a healthy Mitchell given what guys not named Flip are giving us in the frontcourt right now.

Defense and rebounding....you do those things well you can compete with and beat anybody....If you don't then you are going to struggle with good teams and lose to top 15 teams...Flip looked good,Roach prooved that there is no substitute for experience (17 pts) Reeves( 2 rebounds and 3 points in just 2 minutes) Stewart (2 rebounds and 2 points in 2 minutes) showed that there is true potential on this team in helping with the number 5 position freeing Flip to play the 4....If anyone that has played sports and was cleared to play with a less than a weak old ankle sprain knows tha even though it's taped up really good it will throughout the course of a game swell and get weaker.until it's completely healed, that might have been the case with Mitchell last night....dude is a warrior...can't understand why a ballhawker like Blakes did't get any run last night though...

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned Foster. His stats showed absolutely nothing but one foul in 13 minutes. I would have rather seen more of Blakes (only 2 minutes). I think he earned more time than he got after his performance from game one. Mitchell should be allowed one three a game and if he makes it, maybe another. Amazingly we had a chance to win with the poor offensive performances by Proctor, Mitchell, Young, and Foster. We will get much better as the season progresses.

Once again he looked at every major center in the portal HE thought would help Duke or would be a game changer . For what ever reason they either couldn’t or didn’t choose Duke . Name one Center outside of the kid you mentioned ( who isn’t starting ) that would have been any different then a Reeves or Stewart or Young ?
Also, it’s tough to get undergrad transfers through the admissions office. Can’t offer just anyone.

Last edited:
Young taking a beating on social media. He's been a great team player, but the other bigs need to step up. I suspect Jon will play Stewart more., although he is clearly still learning positioning.

• Love
Reactions: Duke Blu
Young taking a beating on social media. He's been a great team player, but the other bigs need to step up. I suspect Jon will play Stewart more., although he is clearly still learning positioning.
He is DEFINITELY lost at times. As one of his biggest fans i can admit that. I hope he realizes the opportunity he has is all i can say. We need his talent. He was recruited exactly for what we need. Lol

Reactions: christophero
The more I reflect on the game the more I’m ok with it.. we played a final four threat to what was essentially a 1 possession game after getting blitzed in the first half. Jon made successful adjustments at half time. Most years we play cupcakes in November and feel inflated on the team, Jon now knows 1000% what we have to work on IN GAME 2! I’m excited still for the year!

The more I reflect on the game the more I’m ok with it.. we played a final four threat to what was essentially a 1 possession game after getting blitzed in the first half. Jon made successful adjustments at half time. Most years we play cupcakes in November and feel inflated on the team, Jon now knows 1000% what we have to work on IN GAME 2! I’m excited still for the year!
Exactly. I saw someone saw Arizona isn't an elite team, but I couldn't disagree more. You take away the travel call on Proctor with 27 seconds left, we very well sneak out with a W.

We are just fine and are playing two very, very good teams back to back before November 15th. We get a few cupcakes after MSU to hopefully tweak lineups/roles.

Scheyer has the chance to make this team really good by March. Stewart and/or Reeves need to assert themselves. Young either takes the 3 pointer every gives him or frankly he is too much of a liability to play. The guards have to be more aggressive and move the ball better. I am confident they can get there.

Exactly. I saw someone saw Arizona isn't an elite team, but I couldn't disagree more. You take away the travel call on Proctor with 27 seconds left, we very well sneak out with a W.

We are just fine and are playing two very, very good teams back to back before November 15th. We get a few cupcakes after MSU to hopefully tweak lineups/roles.
Imo Arizona isn’t an elite team. I suspect they lose 8-10 games this year.

Reactions: sheyduke
We will agree to disagree my guy. They are deep at guard and have some bangers down low. Pac 12 is going to be super weak this year.
They lack a true point guard and don’t go deep. Those losses factor in a mediocre PAC12 also…..we shall see.

freezing cold take
That Arizona is overrated? Please refute if so.

They’re a team that lost 4 key players, which was approx 48 ppg. They were better last year as a team, and still only finished tied for 2nd in the “weak” PAC12. Oh yea, and they were bounced by Princeton in the 1st round of the tourney. To say they’re overrated, and not as good as last year, is a fair take. They’ll need to prove otherwise.

I’m seeing them called a Final Four team here yet I’ve not seen them called that anywhere outside, on any major label/site. Are they terrible? No way, they’re potential long-term top 25, but many here are hyping them up as Duke just lost to them. Duke has the potential to be great but right now they have a glaring weakness, one that they need to adjust for quickly.

Last edited:
I am as disappointed as anyone that we lost this game. But, we were right there, even had a 2 point lead with 90 seconds left. Arizona won the last 90 seconds. They made shots and foul shots, and we didn't. Still, we were a few bounces or rolls and a banked 3 from walking away with a win. Yes, our lack of rebounding was exposed. I thought Proctor had a tough game. Flip was pretty darned good, and Roach kept us in the game with his play and leadership in the final 10 mins. I also have to question that last play call. That's a play for when you have 2 seconds on the clock, not 6.

I don't know if Arizona is a final 4 team, but their big guys played well, and their guard, Boswell played a hell of a game on both ends. He was the difference maker IMHO.

End of the day, it's a single digit loss to a top 25 team in November. I would love to see up build on this and play a solid game against MI State tomorrow. I have a feeling that game is going to be a grind!

Reactions: Duke Blu
The last play of the game may have looked weird, but I'm guessing Scheyer did it because he knew they were going to foul like they had on the previous possession. Under 5 seconds, if they fouled again, we would've gone to the line for a 1 and 1 hoping to make one and intentional miss one. Our rebounding was terrible all night so that scenario seems like it would be an impossible way to win to me. With that in mind, I'm guessing Jon was hoping by throwing the ball down the court we could catch and shoot, possibly make the shot or get fouled while shooting a three.

The portal isn't and wasn't the issue last night. It was preparation. AZ game plan to attack Flip was perfect. Reeves and Young were just caught off guard.
I never mentioned the portal in that post. Were you responding to someone else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT