ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs AZ

The only comparison is how effective you can be at that size (6’8-6’9). In terms of rebounding and defense.

No need to create a strawman.

The fact is this. Stewart even at 6’9 is and will be a better player than Young and Reeves in almost every metric we are weak at. Thats defense in the paint and rebounding.
I don't believe he can give you Reeves. Young did a decent job down the stretch of the game.

• Haha
Reactions: JimboSlice00
Kyle and Jeremy played well. I also thought Jared had good moments. Proctor and Mitchell were not good. Ryan Young stands out like a sore thumb when he's out there. I like and appreciate the guy, but he just doesn't have it.

I'm not sure any of us "wanted small ball," but if Jon is intent on starting that lineup, so be it. But Reeves and Stewart HAVE to play more. You have a small lineup that starts, you can go bigger with a front line of Mitchell, Stewart, and Flip or biggest with Mitchell, Flip, and Reeves. I would only play Young spot minutes or when we have foul trouble.

You could see the frustration in Flip's face. He needs more help down low he can't do it all himself.
He's not a Center. He's never going to be a Center. His game is not defending the paint or banging for rebounds. He's a modern face-up 4.

He needs a physical center that can defend, bang, and rebound. But the only guy on your roster big and strong enough to play that role is Young, and he's honestly just not that good.

We are a finesse team right now. We need to be tougher. This is not a dominant Arizona team maybe a 3/4 seed. We will be good, but to be great we need to get a mean streak. Bounce back and beat MSU and we will be fine. No one is scared of us any more we need an edge.

Agree. This has long been a problem at Duke against more physical teams. (Eg Tennessee).

And it’s not only developing a tougher mentality (though that is crucial; and that kind of game can let you know your deficiencies).

I wonder how well Duke is building the physicality of these players?

These all should come in not just older but physically stronger and bigger. After a year in the program. When I look at Young, for example, he looks like he’s added no muscle in the off season. Just barely maintained. He should and could have come into this season with a significantly different looking body. Stronger, more powerful, more athletic.

I don’t doubt they work on the game. But we need a training system that gets our players bigger and stronger every year. If they are going to compete at the highest level they have to become stronger and more physical; add muscle weight and density to those bones. literally..

Reactions: christophero
He's not a Center. He's never going to be a Center. His game is not defending the paint or banging for rebounds. He's a modern face-up 4.

He needs a physical center that can defend, bang, and rebound. But the only guy on your roster big and strong enough to play that role is Young, and he's honestly just not that good.

Agree on Flip. Not a center and his short arms really hurt him defensively. Going to be tough to play the 5 at points this season. If we had Lively - even last year’s version - we win that game.

There is no rim protection on the floor.

Young has played better. It’s not just a lack of talent, imo. He needs to know his role and limitations. But more than anything, imo, he’s not strong enough and offered little physicality when he enters the game.

Only one playing physical trying to match theirs was Flip.

Not a bad loss but the same weakness that lost their game against Tennessee last year was exposed again. And this will continue to be a problem as teams can use the portal to get physically developed players.

Reactions: jamsession2
Some thoughts on the game:

Overall, I thought Duke played a pretty good game and it felt like an NCAA tournament game. Could have won with one more good possession in the final 4 minutes.

Honestly I thought the officiating was terrible. Arizona got a way with a ton of fouls that are just no calls, imo. They have to call more of those. So inconsistent.

The Love shot at the end of the half that was pure luck made a difference.

Duke is in trouble at the 5. Flip is a 4. Gonna have to get more than 2 minutes from Reeves.

Mitchell needs to play better. He’s not a finesse 3 guy. Has to play and get stronger and be more physical on the inside. I touched on this above, but Duke’s physical training regimen seems to focus on developing very lean bodies that don’t have the physicality to handle teams like that.

What is up with TJ Power not getting any minutes. Are these freshmen that limited mentally and physically?

I thought Stewart brought some needed energy and inside presence. He needs to get himself more mentally attuned to the the game it seems so that coach will put him in.

Would like us set up 3s for McCain more. Guy is a shooter and scorer. Gotta get him more catch and shoot 3s.

Young has played better. It’s not just a lack of talent, imo. He needs to know his role and limitations. But more than anything, imo, he’s not strong enough and offered little physicality when he enters the game.

Not a bad loss but the same weakness that lost their game against Tennessee last year was exposed again. And this will continue to be a problem as teams can use the portal to get physically developed players.
Jon will have to get more active in the portal. I think K may be holding him back. Look Jon, (despite a great job),is still learning and has shown a commitment to the freshman phenoms. He's bound to feel K's shadow, and will hear K's critique whether he wants to or not.The lack of developed and capable senior/grad class big(s) was a liability last nite.We needed a Theo John type.It hurts us, at times it looked like a varsity team flexing its muscle vs the jayvee team.

We've got to grow up fast. Scheyer said pregame we would rely on "gang rebounding." Proctor had one board in 37 minutes, Foster had zero boards in 13 minutes.

Three point shooting must improve, or this trio of guards philosophy will maybe get us to the 2nd game of the first weekend-AGAIN. OFC

Agree on Flip. Not a center and his short arms really hurt him defensively. Going to be tough to play the 5 at points this season. If we had Lively - even last year’s version - we win that game.

The team must allow Reeves to play and make mistakes. He's the closest we have to a Rim Protector and natural Center.

Some thoughts on the game:

Overall, I thought Duke played a pretty good game and it felt like an NCAA tournament game. Could have won with one more good possession in the final 4 minutes.

Honestly I thought the officiating was terrible. Arizona got a way with a ton of fouls that are just no calls, imo. They have to call more of those. So inconsistent.

The Love shot at the end of the half that was pure luck made a difference.

Duke is in trouble at the 5. Flip is a 4. Gonna have to get more than 2 minutes from Reeves.

Mitchell needs to play better. He’s not a finesse 3 guy. Has to play and get stronger and be more physical on the inside. I touched on this above, but Duke’s physical training regimen seems to focus on developing very lean bodies that don’t have the physicality to handle teams like that.

What is up with TJ Power not getting any minutes. Are these freshmen that limited mentally and physically?

I thought Stewart brought some needed energy and inside presence. He needs to get himself more mentally attuned to the the game it seems so that coach will put him in.

Would like us set up 3s for McCain more. Guy is a shooter and scorer. Gotta get him more catch and shoot 3s.
The portal isn't and wasn't the issue last night. It was preparation. AZ game plan to attack Flip was perfect. Reeves and Young were just caught off guard.

I don’t take anything from this loss other than buddy fkn Love yo. That exeggutor headed prick not only banked it in at the half for 3 points, but iced it at the end for 4 points. As Happy Gilmore said about Bob Barker ..I can’t stand that Caleb Love ! Yo! 😂 But we had a few easier buckets roll around the rim throughout the game and puke out, Had 1 gone in we may have won. I’m not getting into any Xs & Os. I haven’t seen enough P-W. I will say this loss helps us more than had we squeaked out this win at the end . I hope Jon draws up a play at the end of the game down 3 , with the opposing team electing to foul like Arizona did though. Or me personally would have Roach taking 5 or so minutes every practice missing a FT on purpose . Maybe even the team taking 10 minutes as a whole working on the scenario. SOMETHING. There’s got to be a counter to that, and we have to be better prepared in late game situations. Throwing the ball across court with 4 seconds left is pitiful….

You can’t even troll properly 😂

My opinion: Small ball looks great in college when you shoot 50% from 3 as a team, not 35%. College still relies on having BIGS who can rebound, defend and score if need be. We have Flip and…woof. Ryan Young isn’t physically or athletically sound enough to go against elite BIGS. He does other things well, but when he’s given minutes against teams with elite BIGS, we regress. I like Ryan in spurts and especially against mid majors and other schools who don’t rely on their interior bigs to produce. Guards are certainly great to have in March, but getting easy baskets/defending the rim is also important before March. And we still only lost by 3 (I’m not counting that trash dunk at the end). We were literally in this game until the end (much like the Kansas game last year). We clean up a few things and we win that game last night. Zona was bigger, more experienced and had an experienced head coach that has won a lot of games. Props for Scheyer for scheduling this way. I think (just like last season) these early season bumps will pay dividends later in the season. We will NOT play another team that will be better than Zona. Scheyer could’ve scheduled another mid-major and we would find out Tuesday what we need to work on but since we found out last night, we can make adjustments before we play Michigan State. I’d rather us take our lumps now if it means we will make deep runs into March.

The other thing I’ve noticed in our last two losses (Tennessee and Arizona) they physically dominated us. Seems like refs were letting them play and if that is the way games are going to be called, we have got to get more physical. Poor Flip was knocked to the ground ALL night.

Shedrick only played 12 minutes against a cupcake and isnt even starting

Incorrect. That doesn’t mean it was flip coming back that scared the 2 centers scheyer looked at. He didn’t tap into the portal like he should’ve his first year. We’re paying for it. And we’re going to pay for it again next year unless reeves makes a huge jump. Scheyer wanted to get older … but his roster building isn’t supporting that.
Once again he looked at every major center in the portal HE thought would help Duke or would be a game changer . For what ever reason they either couldn’t or didn’t choose Duke . Name one Center outside of the kid you mentioned ( who isn’t starting ) that would have been any different then a Reeves or Stewart or Young ?

The other thing I’ve noticed in our last two losses (Tennessee and Arizona) they physically dominated us. Seems like refs were letting them play and if that is the way games are going to be called, we have got to get more physical. Poor Flip was knocked to the ground ALL night.

My thoughts as well - expressed above. If there is anything disappointing from the off-season (tho not getting a starting caliber big hurts) it is the lack of physical development from some players. Young needed to get a lot stronger and he just never developed his body! It really doesn’t take that much to put on another 10 even 15 pounds of muscle over 6-7 months. Protein and weights and full body workouts. And he looks exactly the same as he did last year. That’s just disappointing.

All these guys could stand to get bigger and more physical. But alas, it’s not likely to happen in season.

It takes a lot of work to get these young guys up to speed. And I think from a basketball standpoint, I have confidence in Scheyer. I don’t know what Duke is doing with their physical development. As I said above, it just feels like they are focused on getting lean but not building strength and power. Building muscle should not take away anything from their basketball abilities. It should add speed and strength. They don’t have to become world champion bodybuilders. But just physically stronger to be able to handle teams like that.

My thoughts as well - expressed above. If there is anything disappointing from the off-season (tho not getting a starting caliber big hurts) it is the lack of physical development from some players. Young needed to get a lot stronger and he just never developed his body! It really doesn’t take that much to put on another 10 even 15 pounds of muscle over 6-7 months. Protein and weights and full body workouts. And he looks exactly the same as he did last year. That’s just disappointing.

All these guys could stand to get bigger and more physical. But alas, it’s not likely to happen in season.

It takes a lot of work to get these young guys up to speed. And I think from a basketball standpoint, I have confidence in Scheyer. I don’t know what Duke is doing with their physical development. As I said above, it just feels like they are focused on getting lean but not building strength and power. Building muscle should not take away anything from their basketball abilities. It should add speed and strength. They don’t have to become world champion bodybuilders. But just physically stronger to be able to handle teams like that.
All true! We have got to put an emphasis on Strength and Conditioning!

My opinion: Small ball looks great in college when you shoot 50% from 3 as a team, not 35%. College still relies on having BIGS who can rebound, defend and score if need be. We have Flip and…woof. Ryan Young isn’t physically or athletically sound enough to go against elite BIGS. He does other things well, but when he’s given minutes against teams with elite BIGS, we regress. I like Ryan in spurts and especially against mid majors and other schools who don’t rely on their interior bigs to produce. Guards are certainly great to have in March, but getting easy baskets/defending the rim is also important before March. And we still only lost by 3 (I’m not counting that trash dunk at the end). We were literally in this game until the end (much like the Kansas game last year). We clean up a few things and we win that game last night. Zona was bigger, more experienced and had an experienced head coach that has won a lot of games. Props for Scheyer for scheduling this way. I think (just like last season) these early season bumps will pay dividends later in the season. We will NOT play another team that will be better than Zona. Scheyer could’ve scheduled another mid-major and we would find out Tuesday what we need to work on but since we found out last night, we can make adjustments before we play Michigan State. I’d rather us take our lumps now if it means we will make deep runs into March.
Great post Q

I don’t think you can put a big out there just for the sake of putting a big.

Young is in his 50th year. He is what he is. He is not a good defender, not a good shot blocker nor rebounder. He has no athleticism. He is an ok post player at times.

Reeves? He is the wildcard of the group. I see some things i like and i see some things that make me wonder if he would be a liability with extended minutes.

Stewart is a legitimate talent. But no, he is not a center or a 5 either.

But where I differ with others is that I dont get caught up so much with positions. Flip at the 5 only really matters on the defensive end where it is tough for Flip to guard. But you can always play help defense and Stewart in my opinion is the only one besides Mitchell that is fast and agile enough to cheat over to hell Flip.

This is what Sheyer said about him

“Watching Sean play, he's as good of an athlete as there is in the country. He plays hard, can protect the rim, and plays above the basket on offense,” Scheyer said.

“The thing we love is that he keeps getting better and better. He's made an incredible progression since the first time we saw him, and we know that will continue. He can play multiple positions, defend anybody on the court and has great bloodlines with his dad, Mike, who played in the NBA.”

Get him ready!

From what I watched/heard over the summer they were doing this but I think last night showed that’s not the case.. flip is definitely bigger/stronger but maybe he’s the only one that took that L to TN to heart.

Reactions: youngman42
Once again he looked at every major center in the portal HE thought would help Duke or would be a game changer . For what ever reason they either couldn’t or didn’t choose Duke . Name one Center outside of the kid you mentioned ( who isn’t starting ) that would have been any different then a Reeves or Stewart or Young ?
Daron Holmes

Reactions: timritterus
Everyone is harping on the negatives. They’re mostly true. But Duke is 1-1, and we just lost to a final 4 caliber team, and could have won.
Does Duke have some issues to address? Yes. But banners don’t get hung in November. If they did, over the last 6 seasons, Duke would have a few.

I have faith in Jon. Sorry if I upset anyone, but I have more in him than the K we had his last several seasons.

The team played better in the 2nd half, and surely he should get a little credit for whatever he said at halftime.

Now let’s see how they respond Tuesday.

Does your mom know you were up past 9pm posting on rivals?

Everyone is harping on the negatives. They’re mostly true. But Duke is 1-1, and we just lost to a final 4 caliber team, and could have won.
Does Duke have some issues to address? Yes. But banners don’t get hung in November. If they did, over the last 6 seasons, Duke would have a few.

I have faith in Jon. Sorry if I upset anyone, but I have more in him than the K we had his last several seasons.

The team played better in the 2nd half, and surely he should get a little credit for whatever he said at halftime.

Last year was the first in a while we looked better in Feb, march then November.. I expect the same this year. I wouldn’t be shocked to play AZ in an elite eight final four either. They were quite good last year, beating btw Tennessee and UCLA. If they hadn’t lost to Princeton everyone would think more of them.. loyd can coach and has a stellar upper class team. I don’t think we looked “good” but AZ gave it all they had, that says something

Spot on Mac, some need to relax. I hope no one on here was expecting for Duke to go unscathed this season, because if you were, those are just unrealistic expectations.

Enjoy the journey of the season!

Jon tried to get the big from Kansas, uva, and Dayton to name a few. Saying he didn’t go after a big is not being honest. off-season was also spent trying to get Flory and then successfully landing big Pat

This. Like it or not, teams are going to use this as the gameplan to beat us. We need a Theo type, and hopefully Stewart can be that guy this year. Still unsure about Reeves, but Jon does not seem to trust him right now for big minutes. Agree that Young is not a big minutes guy but he is gamely holding down the fort til the other guys are ready. That Kansas guy was huge, stinks he didn't have the credits to transfer. (maybe check before you recruit him) Still; I like our team. Mitchell gets a pass as he was injured, but as of now he looks the same as last year. Which is still good, but we might need more out of him. The freshman are fine, but they are more the take a little time types rather than plug in and dominate types we've become used to. We have a lot of upside as the freshman will get a lot better. Next play; but learn from it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT