ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

krzyzewskiville

Oct 7, 2004
Winfield, KS
Well, Zion is out for game two (by now the media has reported this to the entire world) but with the Hokies down Robinson, still, I like our chances in this one.

Similar to Saturday, someone besides RJ is going to have to score. The emergence of Alex against Syracuse was great - but I still think Cam has got to get it going consistently for us to make a deep run.

Tonight’s game is slated for a 7pm est and will air on ESPN HD. We currently sit at -4.5 - almost identical to Saturday. However, I think Saturday was a more difficult matchup (no disrespect to Va Tech) so Iike Duke to cover.

Duke 76

Va Tech 66

Duke 84
VT 74

I’m approaching my 4000th post since joining DI. That 4000th post will either be in the game ball thread or in the 20 point game tracker thread but I haven’t decided which one yet. This is my 3998th post. For awhile there I thought it was going to be the second UNC game before I reached my 4000th post but I’ve been posting more lately so it’s going to come sooner than I thought and I’ve avoided posting in several threads just so that I could make my 4000th post in either a game day thread with my score prediction, in a game ball thread or in the 20 point tracker thread. So depending on when the game ball thread for this game gets posted after the game, my 4000th post will be in the game ball thread or in the 20 point tracker thread.

Last edited:
VT is the most underrated team in the country. They have one loss to a non-conference team and it was by 1pt because they somehow managed to only score one FG the final 8 or 9 minutes of the game. Unreal. This is also the team that held NC State to 24 total points. I’m not positive but I think in the ACC they’ve only lost to Virginia twice, UNC and L’ville. Winning everything else...... They also literally shoot 40% from 3 as a team.

We’re the better team even without Z, it’s not even close or comparable. We hold our opponents to 27% from 3, so thankfully we have the solid perimeter defense to hopefully offset their elite shooting. This isn’t a cupcake game, we have to play well to win.

Our guys are riding a confidence high, RJ will surely do his part and I think Cam is due for a good efficient game. One or two of our typical bench guys step up and make an impact. This one will belong to the blue devils.

We typically don't shoot well from the 3 in VT's gym, but the way we have inconsistently shot the 3 this year it won't be a factor. I like our chances even with Zion out. FT's are going to be important tonight. We win a close one.

Duke 78
VT 73

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Would love to see Alex continue his good play and since Joey's red shirt is gone, would love for him to do some scoring tonight. Duke by a dozen!!!
OFC

Let’s Go Duke! If they’re going to be taking 3s, then for the love of God please box out and limit the offensive boards.

Duke>VT
This.
They are going to shoot 3's. We have to find a body and make sure we get the 50/50 balls on long rebounds. Bolden will need to be a factor on the defensive glass. I'm interested to see the rotation off the bench. Let's go Duke. Take care of business tonight and I like our chances at regular season ACC champs!

Duke-74
VT- less than 74

Will be leaving work early to head up to Blacksburg to watch this one. I think Duke gets the win. Cassell Coliseum has been a tough place for Duke over the years and the Hokie fanbase will be ready.

I am going to say
Duke 83
VT 76

Duke finishes with a 5-1 record in what ESPN and many are saying was the toughest 6 game stretch in college basketball.

VT is tough, gritty, and well coached. They will get down in the trenches if they have to muck out a win.

Yes, they shoot the 3 well, but I don't think they have seen perimeter defenders as long as Cam and RJ yet this year. I wouldn't mind seeing a little zone tonight with Cam and RJ up top. And as Timo says, for goodness sake can we PLEASE box out and win the rebound battle??

I see us taking care of business on the road in a hostile environment. Let's make a few threes of our own, and let RJ be RJ.

Duke 71
VT 60

Alan

VT will play their best game of season tonight & place will be lit. Hope we can get road W.

Duke - 74
VT - 72

VT will play their best game of season tonight & place will be lit. Hope we can get road W.

Duke - 74
VT - 72
I am with you Laettner, VT is always a tough place to play and we have struggled there in the past. I have no prediction for this one, it will be a challenge.

Reactions: Mullin5756
If we lose one more game in the regular season, it will be this one. I have no idea how this game goes. I think Duke will win but this is not a game I will bet on.

I like to check out opponents message boards and VT message board has a title "pray for puke" saying we have to play without our best player...sarcasm but still....BUT it's all they have been complaining about for 3 weeks with their team...God I despise this team...we need to deliver a good ole fashion arse kicking in these clown tonight...please destroy them devils

Reactions: eastspartan
I want to see good ball movement. Once again, the total points scored by everyone but RJ and Cam needs to be close to 40 for the win.

Cassell Coliseum as been tough for Duke. They've lost two in a row there, and I was there the last time they left there with a victory which was the 2015 championship team, who was lucky to get out of there with an OT win. For whatever reason, Duke has had its difficulties there. I'm optimistic because this team shares some of the personality traits that 2015 team had, the last group to leave Blacksburg with a W. They have that same toughness and moxy. I wish Duke was 100%, but what they have can get it done.

VT will lock in trying to shut down RJ, so I hope he can impose his will on them. Cam must score big tonight and still play good "D". I like Tre to penetrate in this game (just a feeling), and score. Who will be the 3rd scorer, Alex, again! Talk & help on "D", get the 50/50 balls, and Duke will bring this one home.
Go Duke!
OFC

Justin Robinson won't be playing, which will help us tremendously. This is why K announced so early that Zion won't be playing. We need to win this game, and without Justin, VT is a mediocre team. Not bad, and certainly dangerous, but JR is a guy that can fill it up and put extra pressure on our D.

The question is will Duke players getting some burn now help the team at the end of the season, or throw off continuity when Zion is back.
Duke was really awesome with Kyrie, he got hurt, they adjusted, then when he came back probably didn’t have time to adjust back .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT