ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Wrong and pretty much everybody disagrees with you

You’re emotional. You change up once a week. I’m consistent. I’m willing to bet you haven’t had a consistent opinion about this team all year. Grayson was the leading shot taker and scorer and guess what WE LOST. So what is it now. It’s Bagleys fault Grayson can’t make the same threes he was taking when Bagley was out huh? I bet Coach K agrees that we’re better with Bagley. You’re just a Grayson fanboy. That’s all it is

A true point guard does not take 15 3s. Y’all can put things on Bagley all you want but Bagley wasn’t close to the reason we lost last night. Our guards didn’t make shots and turned the ball over 12 times. We average over 80 points a game so scoring is not really a problem besides last night. Actually the 4 games we didn’t have Bagley we scored below our season average every time. We only hit 80 once which was at home. We don’t play well in true road games. That’s just what it is.
I said it earlier, but teams know how to play us now. VT took Bagley and Carter out of the game. Makes it tougher when you become one dimensional. Duval has foul trouble, Trent was a no show, all causing Allen to force things. He was looking for other options, but nothing was there. It's that simple.

Didn’t get to see the game except for the last two minutes, but I don’t understand why K immediately has Bags right back at 36 minutes.

The positive is the defense as it’s been consistently holding teams down lately. Turnovers are still a big issue. Hard to fathom a 5 point lead with the ball and less than two minutes and lose.

Bagley wasn’t the problem. Gary and Grayson shot terrible and the guards had 12 turnovers. That negated our big rebounding advantage. Defense looked good. Virginia tech had a good game plan. They wouldn’t allow a post entry pass from the side. We could’ve ran more high low. Taking 30 3s is not the answer though. We should never take 30 3s in a game

I said it earlier, but teams know how to play us now. VT took Bagley and Carter out of the game. Makes it tougher when you become one dimensional. Duval has foul trouble, Trent was a no show, all causing Allen to force things. He was looking for other options, but nothing was there. It's that simple.

He’s not a point guard. He doesn’t know how to handle that pressure. If he’s going to shoot 3s like that we do better putting him back at the 2 and just run him around picks all day like we did with JJ and Kennard. It’s very rare that he attacks the basket unless it’s on a close out where he can pump fake the guy. Earlier on we were so good because we had Grayson and Gary spotting up while Duval attacked the basket. Duval puts pressure on the defense in the paint which opens up offensive rebounds and open threes for the shooters. Just watch Grayson in pick and roll situations then watch how duval attacks in pick and rolls. Grayson just has to make shots. Idk why Bagley intimidate him but he needs to get over it.

This trying to get a number 1 seed needs to stop. We won’t get a number 1 seed. If we do we won’t be anywhere near here. He would be on the west coast and we know how that goes for us. The seed doesn’t really matter. The region is what matters.

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
So it’s Bagley fault that Grayson can’t make shots? That makes no sense. Grayson took 18 shots today. Bagley took 9. It’s just mind boggling. Pretty much people want Grayson to be the reason we win. Grayson got his shots. He’s handling the ball now so there’s no more excuses

I'm board with you on this one Champ........bagley doesnt make grayson miss shots...bagley has a great chance of rebounding those shots....grayson has the ball a lot now...he decides who gets it and when he shoots....tough shooting night from distance just like the other day against the cuse

grayson going 4-15 and trent going 1-7 hurt badly........make 2-4 more and prob different results

Last edited:
Duval man. I hate to say it but I just don't see how we win it all with him. Although I understand why K won't do it, the only way we can win it all is if he is benched. He is a liability. You cannot convince me that AOC doesn't give us a better chance to win.

IMO, on the contrary I think we need Duval. He’s not going to be who we wanted this year, he just isn’t. He’s not going to be a Tyus level floor general. He’s just not.

What he can do, and he’s shown he can do it, is facilitate for the bigs and become a run starter with his drives and fast breaks.

He won’t be able to suddenly just change his game, but if he can be Florida State Trevon, we’ll beat everybody we play the remainder of the season. It’s no coincidence the offense has struggled when he has struggled and it’s thrived when he has thrived.

But replacing him with Alex does nothing for either player or the team. Alex is a floor spacer, meaning his minutes should get shared with Grayson, Gary and one of the bigs. If nothing else Grayson at point or Goldwire getting 5-6 May be enough to cut down on Tre’s bad streaks.

Or maybe we can just keep requesting K replace Tre with Alex, because a lot people called for Gary’s head and look what happened there. The reverse jinx is real.

Didn’t get to see the game except for the last two minutes, but I don’t understand why K immediately has Bags right back at 36 minutes.

The positive is the defense as it’s been consistently holding teams down lately. Turnovers are still a big issue. Hard to fathom a 5 point lead with the ball and less than two minutes and lose.

Bagley wasn’t the problem. Gary and Grayson shot terrible and the guards had 12 turnovers. That negated our big rebounding advantage. Defense looked good. Virginia tech had a good game plan. They wouldn’t allow a post entry pass from the side. We could’ve ran more high low. Taking 30 3s is not the answer though. We should never take 30 3s in a game
Didn’t say he was but he doesn’t need to play that many minutes. I think Carter is a better overall college big and he played 11 minutes less. Guards obviously have to play better and were the reason. For the loss

Bagley wasn't great by any means last night (granted, no one was), but the issue last night was guard play for sure. Allen was 4-15 from 3 with 6 turnovers. Trent was 1-7 from 3 with 3 turnovers. Duke won't beat a good team, particularly on the road, with those numbers from the starting guards.

If anything, Bagley should have probably gotten more shots, as he was 5-9. His name is getting thrown around by some as a problem for whatever reason, but he most certainly was not. Don't let Dakich's comments sway you. Bagley isn't good defensively, but we won't win either tournament without him. He is becoming the scapegoat for some. For example, I don't see Carter's name much, and he had 5 points and 3 turnovers last night. JMO.

Reactions: dukesince91
This trying to get a number 1 seed needs to stop. We won’t get a number 1 seed. If we do we won’t be anywhere near here. He would be on the west coast and we know how that goes for us. The seed doesn’t really matter. The region is what matters.[/QUOTE

This is a very strange statement to make dach, The sure fire guaranteed way to not get a number one seed was to lose so mission accomplished there. Now are you saying we shouldn't try to win. Explain please.

IMO, on the contrary I think we need Duval. He’s not going to be who we wanted this year, he just isn’t. He’s not going to be a Tyus level floor general. He’s just not.

What he can do, and he’s shown he can do it, is facilitate for the bigs and become a run starter with his drives and fast breaks.

He won’t be able to suddenly just change his game, but if he can be Florida State Trevon, we’ll beat everybody we play the remainder of the season. It’s no coincidence the offense has struggled when he has struggled and it’s thrived when he has thrived.

But replacing him with Alex does nothing for either player or the team. Alex is a floor spacer, meaning his minutes should get shared with Grayson, Gary and one of the bigs. If nothing else Grayson at point or Goldwire getting 5-6 May be enough to cut down on Tre’s bad streaks.

Or maybe we can just keep requesting K replace Tre with Alex, because a lot people called for Gary’s head and look what happened there. The reverse jinx is real.

Some of these guys are all over the place. They want to bench everybody. We need Tre back at point guard. There was no reason to change our offense. Offense has never been the problem. Defense was. Now the defense has become better. So we need to go back to our original offense. Having Grayson at point is not the answer. Grayson needs to run around and make shots. He’s a ball dominant 3pt shooting point guard right now like a Steph Curry. Only thing is he can’t shoot like Steph Curry. Can he get hot? Yes. But Grayson isn’t a guard. He’s a secondary ball handler. We need pick and rolls ran for duval and let him attack teams. He’s an unselfish player so you don’t have to worry about him not passing

Reactions: dukehokie

I’m saying we aren’t getting a 1 seed and losing last night isn’t really a bad thing. I rather a 2 or 3 seed in the east or south than a 1-seed in the west. That’s a setup for failure. At least we will be closer to home if we are a 2 or 3-seed

Didn’t say he was but he doesn’t need to play that many minutes. I think Carter is a better overall college big and he played 11 minutes less. Guards obviously have to play better and were the reason. For the loss

Actually Bagley AND Carter should’ve played less. I can make an argument that we played better with Marques and Javin last night at the 4 and the 5. Marques has 4 assists out of the post. He was the only person that could carve enough space to get a post entry and he made quick decisions. Carter had a bad night last night. He seemed frustrated. They couldn’t get touches because of the way Tech defended them.

Actually Bagley AND Carter should’ve played less. I can make an argument that we played better with Marques and Javin last night at the 4 and the 5. Marques has 4 assists out of the post. He was the only person that could carve enough space to get a post entry and he made quick decisions. Carter had a bad night last night. He seemed frustrated. They couldn’t get touches because of the way Tech defended them.
I think Bolden and Javin should play more. I like having one with carter and one with bags. I just don’t think carter and bags mesh all that well.

o-PUTIN-facebook.jpg

Duval's basketball IQ just seems to be one of the lower ones I have seen from a Duke pg. The talent is there but his decisions are baffling sometimes. And he can't shoot 3 pointers. And he is a liability at the free throw line. I hope he improves but by March, you kind of are who you are.

Reactions: sgrooms
I think Bolden and Javin should play more. I like having one with carter and one with bags. I just don’t think carter and bags mesh all that well.

kinda like that as well....which allows carter and bagley to stay in the paint and jav and bolden can help the guards by setting picks and creating space imo

Duval's basketball IQ just seems to be one of the lower ones I have seen from a Duke pg. The talent is there but his decisions are baffling sometimes. And he can't shoot 3 pointers. And he is a liability at the free throw line. I hope he improves but by March, you kind of are who you are.
I think he sees the floor OK, but lacks the instincts to do certain things in rhythm. He knows where the open man is but then locks in too hard on that one option. He's like a rookie QB trying to adjust to the speed of the NFL. I wouldn't call that low IQ, more lack of crispness with his actions. He's had moments of brilliance. Last night the fouls and the atmosphere had him shook. He was reaching with all his actions.

Do you at least think Alex should be more prominent in our rotation? For instance, at least being on the floor before somebody like White. That floor spacing you speak of, I believe we desperately need it at times.

I'm still disgusted at how we turned the ball over on the left side of the post twice in the last minute with awful passes. They were desperation passes with a great likelihood of being knocked away which they were. I think the whole team was frustrated as they shot clunkers all game with wide open looks.

kinda like that as well....which allows carter and bagley to stay in the paint and jav and bolden can help the guards by setting picks and creating space imo
This is something I've noticed, especially while watching Javin. He's a guy that doesn't really expect touches offensively so he's constantly just moving trying to create space for others. That's not happening as much with Bagley or Carter, without the ball handler calling for a pick, because obviously they're most effective while trying to gain positioning in the paint. It's something that's not always noticeable at first glance, but can play a real role in the offense flowing well.

Carter and Bagley play very well together. Both of them pass the ball to each other very well in the post. Do you realize we were number 2 in scoring before Bagley went down? The defense was the problem. Defense is good now. We just had a bad offensive night. Now that Bagley is back Grayson needs to slide back to the 2. We need him entering the ball from the wing. Also we didn’t run enough high low last night. That worked almost every time we ran it.

We controlled the game last night. Complete control. VT made runs and we responded until really late. Yes, our offense hasn't been as crisp the last two games....but fans always need a scapegoat.

The bottom line is this....our guards were bad last night, and they stepped it up another notch the last two minutes. We can't win in March when our guards are really bad like that.

Creighton beat Villanova the other night. Oh wait my bad...I thought this was the thread where we say random facts about college basketball that don't make perfect sense when you look at it in paper.

The game is fluid. Things will happen. Shots gonin and some don't and the ball and whistles go your way sometimes and sometimes they don't. It will be ok in the long run.

We controlled the game last night. Complete control. VT made runs and we responded until really late. Yes, our offense hasn't been as crisp the last two games....but fans always need a scapegoat.

The bottom line is this....our guards were bad last night, and they stepped it up another notch the last two minutes. We can't win in March when our guards are really bad like that.

Bingo. No more road games.

Reactions: tripleb71
VT basically flooded the lanes and forced Grayson and Gary to beat us shooting 3's. Most nights, we would have steamrolled them. But Grayson and Gary just didn't have it in them. O' Connell maybe should have got a bit more burn to that regard.

On to the next.

Do you at least think Alex should be more prominent in our rotation? For instance, at least being on the floor before somebody like White. That floor spacing you speak of, I believe we desperately need it at times.

Yep and I said that. He’s a floor stretcher and getting minutes from a poor shooting Gary (if he’s shooting poorly) and/or a backup big for Alex gives us a spacing that most teams can’t defend. The key to that is Alex hitting his shots as well. His role should very much be like Dawkins during the championship run.

Reactions: GillJET

It is low and that’s why I say let him do what he does well. Run and play in transition. When we need half court play, let the bigs work together as they’re both excellent passers and Gary and Grayson will find shots off of that.

VT basically flooded the lanes and forced Grayson and Gary to beat us shooting 3's. Most nights, we would have steamrolled them. But Grayson and Gary just didn't have it in them. O' Connell maybe should have got a bit more burn to that regard.

On to the next.

Not sure if any of you have ever shot a ball at Cassell, but it is not a shooter’s gym. Some of you may have seen me post about it, but the sight lines are God awful, the gym is super dark because of the maroon, and the rim almost perfectly lines up the orange and maroon striping at the student section. It’s a damn tough place to shoot.

It is low and that’s why I say let him do what he does well. Run and play in transition. When we need half court play, let the bigs work together as they’re both excellent passers and Gary and Grayson will find shots off of that.

You hit it right on the head. I wouldn’t say Tre has a low IQ though. He’s just used to playing at a fast pace. All of this slow down half court play doesn’t work for him. It’s like telling Westbrook to play point guard in the 90s style offense. It wouldn’t work because half court slow basketball doesn’t work for explosive guards. Especially a freshman learning how to be a true point guard in high level college basketball

We are taking the air out of the ball way too early in games. I think trey should be taking the ball out in those situations. The two turnovers were pretty bad, but this game should not have been close. Too much walking the ball up even we have numbers. Defense wasnt that bad.

You hit it right on the head. I wouldn’t say Tre has a low IQ though. He’s just used to playing at a fast pace. All of this slow down half court play doesn’t work for him. It’s like telling Westbrook to play point guard in the 90s style offense. It wouldn’t work because half court slow basketball doesn’t work for explosive guards. Especially a freshman learning how to be a true point guard in high level college basketball
Part of the way I judge player's basketball IQ is by them knowing their strengths and weaknesses. The fact that he is a terrible 3 point shooter but keeps jacking up 3 pointers game after game would signal to me that he has a low basketball IQ. And again, he has tons of talent makes it tough to watch.

Reactions: sgrooms and nupe300
Part of the way I judge player's basketball IQ is by them knowing their strengths and weaknesses. The fact that he is a terrible 3 point shooter but keeps jacking up 3 pointers game after game would signal to me that he has a low basketball IQ. And again, he has tons of talent makes it tough to watch.

In conference play he’s shooting about 35% from 3 which is around the same amount as Grayson. So should Grayson stop shooting them? Duval is wide open and he only shoot a few per game. He usually give you 1 a game. If you know he can’t shoot why would you put him at the 2 guard. That does him a disservice

In conference play he’s shooting about 35% from 3 which is around the same amount as Grayson. So should Grayson stop shooting them? Duval is wide open and he only shoot a few per game. He usually give you 1 a game. If you know he can’t shoot why would you put him at the 2 guard. That does him a disservice
Grayson is a career 38% 3-point shooter, including a season of almost 42% since we are rounding up. Significantly better than Duval's 27% so I don't even see how it is a comparison. And why are you only taking ACC play into account? I am sure that I can find a period of Grayson's career where he shot 45% or better from 3. Overall Duval is a terrible shooter from 3 and the free throw line! Even Shaq had a better free throw shooting season than Duval for crying out loud. He needs to stop shooting and he should know this. Don't you think there is a reason he is always wide open?

Creighton beat Villanova the other night. Oh wait my bad...I thought this was the thread where we say random facts about college basketball that don't make perfect sense when you look at it in paper.

The game is fluid. Things will happen. Shots go in and some don't and the ball and whistles go your way sometimes and sometimes they don't. It will be ok in the long run.

I get what you are saying and teams lose road games on occasion, but this is more than an occasional road loss, these close losses are now a few and a real concern going into a tournament. Duke needs to be better and win these games if they want to win it all. Last night with an 8 point lead with 4 to go......that's concerning not to win that one in my opinion.

That said, its just as easy to say why would Duke let Trevon even be in that position to get fouled for a one on one with being up 1 and 30 seconds left in the game after you just substituted? Did coach K want to see if he would respond, I guess that's how you find out and we got our answer before it costs you the last game of the season.

Grayson is a career 38% 3-point shooter, including a season of almost 42% since we are rounding up. Significantly better than Duval's 27% so I don't even see how it is a comparison. And why are you only taking ACC play into account? I am sure that I can find a period of Grayson's career where he shot 45% or better from 3. Overall Duval is a terrible shooter from 3 and the free throw line! Even Shaq had a better free throw shooting season than Duval for crying out loud. He needs to stop shooting and he should know this. Don't you think there is a reason he is always wide open?

And that’s why he should be at the point guard position. He has to shoot sometimes when he’s open. He was 1-2 last night. You act like he shot 6 3s.

I think you’ll see us go back to the original starting five on Saturday and i think you’ll see us run a lot more high low action like we did when we were the top offense in the country. Now that our defense has figured it out for the most part, it’s time to fully integrate MB3 back into the offense (last two games we ran what we did with him out). And let’s see how we do. It’ll be the first time we hopefully see both the high powered Offense with the sustainable Defense. This will be our team going forward. Let’s stop the bitching and let’s go.

I think you’ll see us go back to the original starting five on Saturday and i think you’ll see us run a lot more high low action like we did when we were the top offense in the country. Now that our defense has figured it out for the most part, it’s time to fully integrate MB3 back into the offense (last two games we ran what we did with him out). And let’s see how we do. It’ll be the first time we hopefully see both the high powered Offense with the sustainable Defense. This will be our team going forward. Let’s stop the bitching and let’s go.

There it go!

Reactions: tripleb71
I get what you are saying and teams lose road games on occasion, but this is more than an occasional road loss, these close losses are now a few and a real concern going into a tournament. Duke needs to be better and win these games if they want to win it all. Last night with an 8 point lead with 4 to go......that's concerning not to win that one in my opinion.

That said, its just as easy to say why would Duke let Trevon even be in that position to get fouled for a one on one with being up 1 and 30 seconds left in the game after you just substituted? Did coach K want to see if he would respond, I guess that's how you find out and we got our answer before it costs you the last game of the season.

I agree Kobe, and not saying Duke doesn't need to fix things. Just saying that this year, and really most in CBB, is pretty wide open. A lot of it will rely on a few bounces going our way in the tourney. I mean what is Duval makes the FTs? Or if the refs call the foul against Wendell...it's a win probably. Or if VT shot it better we get killed. My main point is, there's a lot of randomness and all the talk about small line up tweaks and offensive plans etc. really has less affect on games than many other things, imo anyways

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT