ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

But we’re better without bagley......lmao I give up here. Our defense was bad “get banned” .... “we better without bagley” ...crickets...hahahaha

Last edited:
So, have you a** hole friends started texting yet? I was wondering how long it would take and now,it has started.. and this idiot thinks I want to watch the Duke/UNC game with him...

Losing to VA Tech at Tech isn’t what hurts. They have beaten some pretty good teams this year. They are a good team in a tough conference.

Losing the way we did; poor execution especially at the end, a missed foul shot, unable to close out a team with a 9 point lead in the last five minutes. That hurts. Losing now in the midst of what many thought was this team finally really gelling hurts.

End if the day we played decent defense and we lost a close one on the road. Next up. The run starts now.

Go Duke!!

Bagley is the elephant in the room. Extremely talented kid, but our mojo is off since he came back.
We couldn't even get it to our bigs, and I say it's because our ball movement is bad with 2 alpha bigs in the game at the same time.
We stand around, unlike the 4 games with Marvin out. Carter only took 5 shots! He was invisible. How's a 6-10, 250lb kid become invisible? Lack of ball movement, that's why.

All around team loss. The players and coaches both have plays they wish they could take back in this one. I know this has been talked about in the thread already, but it’s absolutely ridiculous the ball went to Duval when it was obvious the ball handler was going to the line. We have two of the best shooters in the ACC. GET THE BALL TO THEM IN THOSE SITUATIONS. On to Carolina...

Bagley is the elephant in the room. Extremely talented kid, but our mojo is off since he came back.
We couldn't even get it to our bigs, and I say it's because our ball movement is bad with 2 alpha bigs in the game at the same time.
We stand around, unlike the 4 games with Marvin out. Carter only took 5 shots! He was invisible. How's a 6-10, 250lb kid become invisible? Lack of ball movement, that's why.

Yup. The comment was made during the win streak with Bagley out that Duke had much better ball movement without both bigs on the court.

Reactions: sgrooms and Mac9192
I've thought that's what has lost us some games this year. It seemed like to me when other teams made a big run, every player wanted to try to make the big shot instead of passing the ball and looking for the best shot. I think that's the difference between a young team and a veteran team. There were a few possessions tonight that we actually did look for a good shot instead of forcing a quick one.
We need a PT Player, Baby...and right now we don't have that at the end of games...I miss Stones!

Reactions: sgrooms
I’m convinced this board is full of ladies with all of these emotions haha. Y’all have no chill. Once again it’s a road game against a team that absolutely needed this win to get in the tournament. They’re intensity kept rising and we fell flat. It happens. What people haven’t recognized is that we gave up 64 points. How often will we lose a game because of offense? This is the first game this year that we lost because the offens didn’t do enough. Grayson and Gary had poor shooting nights. Gary is in a little slump right now. Virginia Tech had a great game plan for Bagley and Carter. Oh f***ing well. Next game then tournament time

We saw the negative effects of having Grayson handle the ball down the stretch tonight. He got conservative way too early. Had OConnell wide open for a 3 to put us up 7and sat on the ball. One on one with 5 seconds to go is not the answer with this team.

Duval picking up his 4th foul took him out mentally and he never got back.

I’m convinced this board is full of ladies with all of these emotions haha. Y’all have no chill. Once again it’s a road game against a team that absolutely needed this win to get in the tournament. They’re intensity kept rising and we fell flat. It happens. What people haven’t recognized is that we gave up 64 points. How often will we lose a game because of offense? This is the first game this year that we lost because the offens didn’t do enough. Grayson and Gary had poor shooting nights. Gary is in a little slump right now. Virginia Tech had a great game plan for Bagley and Carter. Oh f***ing well. Next game then tournament time
The ladies comment, not funny! But we are everyone's best shot in the conference and at least VT is a tournament team along with NC State...the loss to BC still stings though..

our offense hasn’t been as advertised since day 1 imo and is still in trouble . Duval is the key.

I’ve never criticized coach K on here, BUT not having Duval inbound with 27 seconds to go was stupid. Also was a dead ball so could have subbed in Alex for free throws.

Duke played 9 minutes of great basketball. It just happened to be the first 9 minutes. As pissed off as I am, it's really not that bad of a loss if they do what they need to do from here on out.

We’re defintely looking sluggish with him back on the floor....but, we were pretty good offensively with him before he was hurt. I just feel our starting backcourt going 5-for-22 from deep, combined with 12 turnovers from Grayson, Gary and Trevon played a more key part.

I mean think about it, you have bagley carter duval all on the court at 1 time and arnt really good 3 point shooters. Allen who is good is running the point! Trent’s struggling. The defense sags a little , smothers the paint, and our talent has to overcome that all the time! Thank god for offenseive rebounding! And carter and bagley able to shoot a little lol

I’ve never criticized coach K on here, BUT not having Duval inbound with 27 seconds to go was stupid. Also was a dead ball so could have subbed in Alex for free throws.

Alex was in. We should’ve let duval take it out and put Bagley at half court. Coach K definitely choked on this one.

our offense hasn’t been as advertised since day 1 imo and is still in trouble . Duval is the key.

We have a top 2 defense in college basketball. Only reason we are 2 is because Villanova is having a crazy good year offensively. The stats don’t back up the claims that our offense isn’t as good as advertised. That makes no sense

We’re defintely looking sluggish with him back on the floor....but, we were pretty good offensively with him before he was hurt. I just feel our starting backcourt going 5-for-22 from deep, combined with 12 turnovers from Grayson, Gary and Trevon played a more key part.
With him out, there was a better flow with the team. We couldn't even get the ball to him or Carter, then we try forcing it, and it makes it worse. That compounds things when it comes to turnovers, because add to it was the fact we we went into that stall ball and really stunk it up. The last 2 games Trent looks lost, and if his shot isn't falling like tonight (1-7), he brings very little else to the table.

Reactions: pisgah101
I mean think about it, you have bagley carter duval all on the court at 1 time and arnt really good 3 point shooters. Allen who is good is running the point! Trent’s struggling. The defense sags a little , smothers the paint, and our talent has to overcome that all the time! Thank god for offenseive rebounding! And carter and bagley able to shoot a little lol

Haven’t all 3 of them on the court at one time the whole year. Hell Javin on the court is worse. He can’t shoot at all. So let’s stop. They just had an off game

We have a top 2 defense in college basketball. Only reason we are 2 is because Villanova is having a crazy good year offensively. The stats don’t back up the claims that our offense isn’t as good as advertised. That makes no sense

I think it’s fair to say we’ve looked disheveled the last two games, don’t you? That’s not me blaming Bagley, either....but it might take a little adjusting inserting him back in the lineups.

You’re right about this team offensively, though. If they’re able to find the kind of flow they had for much of the season, and with their defensive improvements, they become really, really good.

I’m starting to wonder if this team has anyone that wants the ball in their hand when it’s time to make a play late in the game. It’s not easy, and those types of players don’t grow on trees. I thought Grayson would be that guy but my confidence is somewhat shaken. He has good size, he’s strong, can elevate with the best of them and is an adequate dribbler but man it always seems like he’s forced to take a very difficult shot in crunch time. I guess I want more from him.
Good post, and I've noticed this in several games. It has to be in Trent or Allen's hands but they have to demand the ball. I think Duval wants it but can't shoot good enough at this stage of his career.

Wonder if Duval will tweet a video of that brick on the front end of a 1 and 1.

lol seriously? How about all of Grayson's selfish terrible 3s that he shot tonight? Killed our offense with long range 3's and limited ball movement tonight. Grayson was 4-15 from 3 point land. I don't know how anyone could possibly blame Duval for that one important play. He's a freshman who's playing in a tough environment and happens to suck at FT's. This game is on Allen. there is no reason anyone should shoot 15 3's on dukes side.

With him out, there was a better flow with the team. We couldn't even get the ball to him or Carter, then we try forcing it, and it makes it worse. That compounds things when it comes to turnovers, because add to it was the fact we we went into that stall ball and really stunk it up. The last 2 games Trent looks lost, and if his shot isn't falling like tonight (1-7), he brings very little else to the table.

Our offensive flow is defintely off right now. It’s not all on Bagley, though. That’s just shortsighted.

Him being in the lineup does change things some....because it readjusts roles for the second time in less than a month. I also think Marvin is less effective right now because he’s afraid of being ‘too’ aggressive. He’s aware the team played well in his absence and he’s aware that people took notice. But still, he was an efficient 5-of-9 from the field tonight and 8-of-9 on Saturday. That’s over 80% since he’s come back.

Lastly, when you don’t make shots, the offense looks ugly. It doesn’t matter who is out there. Grayson and Gary combining to go 12-of-45 the last two games (and 6-of-34 from three) isn’t Bagley’s fault. Now, are some of the shots coming because of a broken down offense at times? Sure. But 12-of-45 is just really bad. Like....really, really bad. Throw in a dozen turnovers tonight and this is what you expect.

If Duval is a first rounder right now then so am I. Point guard in today’s nba that can’t shoot is 2nd round d league

I hate to talk about a player but no he isn't ready. He'll be drafted and will mature playing from the bench 2 or 3 years on in the D league. He will be a very good player in the future but he makes just too many mistakes and bad decisions. Its very frustrating to see some of the miscues he makes.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, it's over. A couple of things didn't go our way, but we should have won anyway. On to Saturday, and let's take our frustration out on the Heels.

OFC
Amen Dirt, we should have won this one but we played poorly yet again. If we lose to the cheaters Saturday I'm going on a cruise by myself to get away from basketball for awhile.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Our offensive flow is defintely off right now. It’s not all on Bagley, though. That’s just shortsighted.

Him being in the lineup does change things some....because it readjusts roles for the second time in less than a month. I also think Marvin is less effective right now because he’s afraid of being ‘too’ aggressive. He’s aware the team played well in his absence and he’s aware that people took notice. But still, he was an efficient 5-of-9 from the field tonight and 8-of-9 on Saturday. That’s over 80% since he’s come back.

Lastly, when you don’t make shots, the offense looks ugly. It doesn’t matter who is out there. Grayson and Gary combining to go 12-of-45 the last two games (and 6-of-34 from three) isn’t Bagley’s fault. Now, are some of the shots coming because of a broken down offense at times? Sure. But 12-of-45 is just really bad. Like....really, really bad. Throw in a dozen turnovers tonight and this is what you expect.
Did you see the message I tagged you in?

I hate to talk about a player but no he isn't ready. He'll be drafted and will mature playing from the bench 2 or 3 years on in the D league. He will be a very good player in the future but he makes just too many mistakes and bad decisions. Its very frustrating to see some of the miscues he makes.

If Trevon played for any other team and he was allowed to be him then he would average about 18 and 7. For us we have him playing a way that’s not necessarily his style. He’s an attack first player. The games he’s at his best is when he attack the basket. He’s going to make risky plays just being a young player.

I have a hard time believing that we shoot 12-45 without Bagley. It's not being "shortsighted" to not see that our ball movement is really bad the last 2 games.
Ball movement is what makes everything flow better, or lack of, makes everyone stand around more. With 2 alpha bigs in there, we are more clogged. Driving to the basket is limited, one big is a little restricted because the spacing is bad and the other teams big is close by. Carter only took 5 shots, 5. Bagley should shoot at a good clip, they are usually dunks or layups.
The fact is, 2 alpha bigs are something K has hardly ever had to deal with. I'm not saying we can't win it all, but this style isn't the typical style K is used to coaching.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Well at least we are now #13 in defensive efficiency. This is the first time all year we’ve had the lowest combined total in the country between offensive and defensive ranks. (I wanna say Michigan state has been ahead all year) if you had told me we’d be 2 in offense and 13 in defense I would have said there was no way we were losing a game... but alas.

Reactions: TheDude1
Bagley and Carter are a bit redundant. I struggle to put it into words, but they just don’t complement each other very well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT