ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS VIRGINIA TECH OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

A true point guard does not take 15 3s. Y’all can put things on Bagley all you want but Bagley wasn’t close to the reason we lost last night. Our guards didn’t make shots and turned the ball over 12 times. We average over 80 points a game so scoring is not really a problem besides last night. Actually the 4 games we didn’t have Bagley we scored below our season average every time. We only hit 80 once which was at home. We don’t play well in true road games. That’s just what it is.

Ga Tech and Clemson were "TRUE ROAD GAMES" WE WON.... BOTTOM LINE...OFC

Pretty awesome tweet from Bagley. I’m assuming he’s referring to the nonsense spewing out of Dakich’s mouth all game.
Must be talking about JWill as well, because he said the same thing as Dakich, albeit more tactfully. I don't care for Dakich, but he wasn't wrong, just coarse in his delivery.

Must be talking about JWill as well, because he said the same thing as Dakich, albeit more tactfully. I don't care for Dakich, but he wasn't wrong, just coarse in his delivery.
Saying we play better without him or with one big is fine but attacking a kid’s character and calling him selfish and all about himself is completely uncalled for. It also seems like he should maybe watch more than one Duke basketball game before making such a bold proclamation. Bagley and other top picks are putting their health and millions of dollars at risk to come and play at these schools and he had never shown a lack of effort in my opninion. He was rooting for his teammates on the bench as much as anyone else during his absence and could have easily sat out the rest of the season as some predicted he would. So in my opinion I would say his comments were quite wrong and completely ignorant.

Reactions: dukesince91
Grayson is a career 38% 3-point shooter, including a season of almost 42% since we are rounding up. Significantly better than Duval's 27% so I don't even see how it is a comparison. And why are you only taking ACC play into account? I am sure that I can find a period of Grayson's career where he shot 45% or better from 3. Overall Duval is a terrible shooter from 3 and the free throw line! Even Shaq had a better free throw shooting season than Duval for crying out loud. He needs to stop shooting and he should know this. Don't you think there is a reason he is always wide open?
Duval is such a liability at the free throw line its almost like a turnover.

I didnt say that....You just cant dispute they were TRUE ROAD wins minus Bagley.....OFC

You know and I know we aren't a good true road team. We're one game above .500. Pittsburgh is awful so idk if that one should even count. But anyway I'm just happy we are done with Road Games

Who is a good road team? Statistics show the home team gets more calls and for Duke it's always the home team's super bowl. Yes Duke should have won last night and let it get away. Next play.

Regarding Bagley, I remember John Thompson (the original one) laughingly saying regarding Jabari Parker "man, the ball never comes back out after he gets it!" but he said in a nice way that made it less vicious. If Dakich had class he wouldn't have said what he said.

By the way, I happened to see the end of the Indiana/Ohio State game. Dakich's son made an unbelievably bone headed play right before the end of the game (let a pass go right through his hands and his man got a layup). Luckily for him it didn't cost his team the game because a guy hit a 3 at the buzzer to send the game into overtime. I wonder if Dakich would have ranted about his son for 5 minutes for being such a klutz?

Saying we play better without him or with one big is fine but attacking a kid’s character and calling him selfish and all about himself is completely uncalled for. It also seems like he should maybe watch more than one Duke basketball game before making such a bold proclamation. Bagley and other top picks are putting their health and millions of dollars at risk to come and play at these schools and he had never shown a lack of effort in my opninion. He was rooting for his teammates on the bench as much as anyone else during his absence and could have easily sat out the rest of the season as some predicted he would. So in my opinion I would say his comments were quite wrong and completely ignorant.

So, MBIII (and other one and doners) is a martyr sacrificing all for the good of Duke (and college) basketball?

While I appreciate your passionate defense of MBIII, you are way out in left field about his effort on D and his sacrificing anything for Duke basketball. The Bagley's are going to be just fine whether MBIII plays a second in the NBA or not. They have insurance policies, paid for by the university, to cover them in case he should get injured. Not to mention getting coaching from the GOAT. Furthermore, Bagley is a player that has the ability to be a holy terror on the defensive end of the floor, much like Anthony Davis was for Kentucky. But he's not. Why? Effort, plain and simple.

I can't stand Dakich, but he, JWill and Greenberg are all correct in saying he's a liability because of the effort he gives on that end of the floor. Again, Dakich was out of line in how he worded it (he doesn't strike me as all that bright anyways, so a limited vocab might be more the culprit) but he wasn't wrong.

Reactions: sgrooms
I think you’ll see us go back to the original starting five on Saturday and i think you’ll see us run a lot more high low action like we did when we were the top offense in the country. Now that our defense has figured it out for the most part, it’s time to fully integrate MB3 back into the offense (last two games we ran what we did with him out). And let’s see how we do. It’ll be the first time we hopefully see both the high powered Offense with the sustainable Defense. This will be our team going forward. Let’s stop the bitching and let’s go.

I'm hoping for this as well. It wasn't as broke as people thought. The problem was the D.

So, MBIII (and other one and doners) is a martyr sacrificing all for the good of Duke (and college) basketball?
Didn’t say he was a martyr at all, just said that calling a kid only in it for himself after seeing him play for 20 minutes is way off base. I’m also not saying he is great defensively but I think that is something he will need to get better at and learn over time, he clearly plays with effort so I don’t think if he merely decided to try harder he would suddenly be Anthony Davis.

Yes he was dead wrong...if Bagley was all about himself them he wouldn't be playing at all and getting ready to sign that NBA check...take that nonsense elsewhere

While I appreciate your passionate defense of MBIII, you are way out in left field about his effort on D and his sacrificing anything for Duke basketball. The Bagley's are going to be just fine whether MBIII plays a second in the NBA or not. They have insurance policies, paid for by the university, to cover them in case he should get injured. Not to mention getting coaching from the GOAT. Furthermore, Bagley is a player that has the ability to be a holy terror on the defensive end of the floor, much like Anthony Davis was for Kentucky. But he's not. Why? Effort, plain and simple.

I can't stand Dakich, but he, JWill and Greenberg are all correct in saying he's a liability because of the effort he gives on that end of the floor. Again, Dakich was out of line in how he worded it (he doesn't strike me as all that bright anyways, so a limited vocab might be more the culprit) but he wasn't wrong.

We played our best defense of the season with him on the floor 31 minutes against Syracuse and we had the highest efficiency rating since kenpom started with him being the primary scorer on offense. You can't argue with facts

Reactions: tripleb71
I'm glad that Dakich and others have chimed in on Bagley. Totally agree that calling him "selfish" is uncalled for, even if true. But I think the bigger point is that Bagley doesn't think about much other than getting off a shot. That's not necessarily selfish but a lack of awareness. I think on both ends of the court that lack of awareness is a fair description of Bagley's play.

Personally I just think the staff doesn't know what to do with two elite bigs wanting to score down low. I think one of the reasons we did so well with Bagley out is it let us run a more typical offense that the staff is better accustomed to working with. I suspect that if Carter was the one who had gone down that we would have seen a similar improvement with just Bagley on the court.

Our D looks fixed (fingers crossed), which is great. But the staff needs to do a better job with figuring out personnel and roles. If it means that one of Bagley or Carter is on the bench most times, then so be it.

We played our best defense of the season with him on the floor 31 minutes against Syracuse and we had the highest efficiency rating since kenpom started with him being the primary scorer on offense. You can't argue with facts

Truth

He brought it his first game back. But that was the exception rather than the rule. Last night was more the norm for MBIII. To be fair to him, he looked gassed in the first half, GA too. Maybe he's not back in game shape yet. But that one game against Cuse was not his usual effort. It will need to be if Duke wants to cut down the nets in April. He is too dynamic an athlete to be that invisible on D.

Truth

He brought it his first game back. But that was the exception rather than the rule. Last night was more the norm for MBIII. To be fair to him, he looked gassed in the first half, GA too. Maybe he's not back in game shape yet. But that one game against Cuse was not his usual effort. It will need to be if Duke wants to cut down the nets in April. He is too dynamic an athlete to be that invisible on D.

But defense wasn't an issue last night. We went 7 minutes without a bucket with this new offensive system we run. We should've high lowed them to death last night. But no we decided to take 30 3s

But defense wasn't an issue last night. We went 7 minutes without a bucket with this new offensive system we run. We should've high lowed them to death last night. But no we decided to take 30 3s

Very true, only scoring 63 with all that talent is rough. Have to credit VT for packing it in and making entry passes next to impossible. GA and GT look like they are playing on tired legs, but they still need to make a few more of those open looks.

Even better response to Bagley’s tweet. Glad we will have another Jones at Duke next year.

If Grayson Allen was the leader that guy is, all the talk about this being GA's team might be justified.

The reality is Allen seems to get taken out of his game when there are too many people on the floor who outshine him. One guy? Sure that's ok. Two or more? He goes into full-on gun mode.

What happened last night is simply Allen trying too hard to take over. He had more 3 point attempts than Carter and Bagley had combined FG attempts. That should never happen, especially not when he is ice cold.

I may date myself with this comparison, but can any of the OFC guys imagine a situation in the Houston teams of the 1980s in which Rodney McCray took more shots than Olajuwon and Sampson combined?

Simply put, that's dumb basketball.

If Grayson Allen was the leader that guy is, all the talk about this being GA's team might be justified.

The reality is Allen seems to get taken out of his game when there are too many people on the floor who outshine him. One guy? Sure that's ok. Two or more? He goes into full-on gun mode.

What happened last night is simply Allen trying too hard to take over. He had more 3 point attempts than Carter and Bagley had combined FG attempts. That should never happen, especially not when he is ice cold.

I may date myself with this comparison, but can any of the OFC guys imagine a situation in the Houston teams of the 1980s in which Rodney McCray took more shots than Olajuwon and Sampson combined?

Correct

It’s sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. If Allen and Trent aren’t hitting, coaches are willing to gamble against us by packing the paint and denying anything inside which means the only open looks we get are from 3 and then we shoot more 3’s. VT basically had 4 guys in the paint clogging the lane because we couldn’t hit anything from outside. Make jump shots and the world opens up for Carter and Bagley.

It’s sort of a self fulfilling prophecy. If Allen and Trent aren’t hitting, coaches are willing to gamble against us by packing the paint and denying anything inside which means the only open looks we get are from 3 and then we shoot more 3’s. VT basically had 4 guys in the paint clogging the lane because we couldn’t hit anything from outside. Make jump shots and the world opens up for Carter and Bagley.

We should’ve ran high low. It worked almost every time we ran it. The few times we did

Yeah, agree that we need a way to open up the lane but "just hitting outside shots" isn't a strategy. And at this point, we need a strategy to combat what we're seeing from Defenses.

The way to play us is to have 3 guys down low, with one floater who can quickly double whomever gets the ball between Bagley and Carter. They are getting away with this because they only need 2 guys to guard the 3 guys on the perimeter because:
  • Duval can't shoot, and if he drives and is fouled, he can't shoot FTs.
  • Neither Grayson nor Trent is a threat to drive.
So what's the right strategy to combat this? Some quick ideas:
  • Bring in a 3rd shooter (probably AOC) for Duval or one of the bigs.
  • Run constant screens and curls to get Grayson or Trent an open look.
  • Crash the boards with a 3rd guy - Duval or Javin.
  • Have Carter or Bagley set up around the free throw line to either hit a jumper or drive to score or dish to a shooter in the corner.
  • Bring Carter out to the 3-pt line so we have 4 out and 1 in. Let's see if he can keep a high 3P% when he's taking 2-3 per game.
I think something which involves 4 out and 1 in is the way to go, based on the games we've played w/o Bagley and our guards' inability to throw a decent entry pass anyway.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
Teams have adjusted to Duke. We are into February, and our freshmen have played enough for teams to find any weaknesses. Bagley's is his lack of strength and only going left. Duval can't move out there with 2 bigs, and defenses sag off him due to him being a weak shooter, and that makes it tougher on our bigs. Trent is a streaky shooter, and if his shot isn't falling, he disappears, or it looks that way.
Grayson isn't a true point guard, and games like last night where he had NO good option, he forced things.
Mac, nothing personal, but you sure do slurp up Grayson. According to you, he needs to attack more and shoot more. When he's off it's someone else's fault like your above post. "NO good option, so he had to force things."

Reactions: jwill133
Mac, nothing personal, but you sure do slurp up Grayson. According to you, he needs to attack more and shoot more. When he's off it's someone else's fault like your above post. "NO good option, so he had to force things."
Come on man. He wasn't sharp last night, and hasn't had his shot for a good bit of the season. My defense of him is people saying he's killing us, or should go to the bench... What I was referring to last night was that VT took away the inside, and made us one dimensional. He had some turnovers, but what else should he have done? We kept playing the same way, Duval had foul trouble, Trent was invisible. Please tell me. He's not a true point guard, as I've said before. Why did Carter only take 5 shots? If Grayson was that bad, then it's on K as he played the whole game.
Maybe K should have demanded the ball go inside, or have played Alex more.
I'll be first to admit Grayson needs to shoot the ball better, but to blame him?

Come on man. He wasn't sharp last night, and hasn't had his shot for a good bit of the season. My defense of him is people saying he's killing us, or should go to the bench... What I was referring to last night was that VT took away the inside, and made us one dimensional. He had some turnovers, but what else should he have done? We kept playing the same way, Duval had foul trouble, Trent was invisible. Please tell me. He's not a true point guard, as I've said before. Why did Carter only take 5 shots? If Grayson was that bad, then it's on K as he played the whole game.
Maybe K should have demanded the ball go inside, or have played Alex more.
I'll be first to admit Grayson needs to shoot the ball better, but to blame him?
I wasn't blaming Grayson for the loss. I don't single out players when we lose, it's a team effort. I do think sometimes players are taught to keep shooting because the next one's going in. Then they end up shooting themselves out of the game. I think Coach K could have done a better job last night, but we all have off days. Luckily we have a Coach that doesn't have too many. I'm expecting us to take the Holes behind the wood shed and wear their ass out.

Reactions: Mac9192
I wasn't blaming Grayson for the loss. I don't single out players when we lose, it's a team effort. I do think sometimes players are taught to keep shooting because the next one's going in. Then they end up shooting themselves out of the game. I think Coach K could have done a better job last night, but we all have off days. Luckily we have a Coach that doesn't have too many. I'm expecting us to take the Holes behind the wood shed and wear their ass out.
I know you're not blaming Allen, and I hope you're right about Saturday. We need all the boys to bring their A games from here on in.

I would have liked to have seen Tre Inbounding the ball on our next to last possession last night instead of receiving it. Whoever caught that inbounds pass was obviously getting fouled. That didn't cost us the game. I really think turnovers is ultimately what hurt us the most, but sending Grayson or Gary to the line may have changed the outcome

I know you're not blaming Allen, and I hope you're right about Saturday. We need all the boys to bring their A games from here on in.
Yeah, I got a little excited early in the first half when I said "this is the Duke team I've been waiting to see all year." Then that team vanished.
I hope they show up Saturday for a full game. If they did, we might get to witness another 82-50 game.

Yeah, I got a little excited early in the first half when I said "this is the Duke team I've been waiting to see all year." Then that team vanished.
I hope they show up Saturday for a full game. If they did, we might get to witness another 82-50 game.
That's probably the most frustrating thing so far with this team. This board will explode if we ever play how we think they all can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT