ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching rocky movies and polished off the top half of a 30 pack, and well, come on DRAGOS.....get your blonde ass in here and let's do this!!! YO ADRIANNE!!!

Reactions: pisgah101
I think it's a good bet for anybody who thinks he won't play Thursday as long as something crazy don't happen in practice. If he does come back, the people who think he's done will leave for a year, if he don't come back, I'll leave for a year. Now how many doubters ready to step up and take the bet?
I think that anyone that takes your bet would probably end up creating a new account so that they could keep posting

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, what's gonna happen on here when we finally do have a team that isn't that good? I still haven't gotten over how many on here think last year's team was some type of hideous failure. The kind of excellence that K and Duke have brought to us fans is practically unheard of in college basketball. We're going to miss the old guy when he leaves.

OFC
2016 wasn't great, or even good really. I loved that team though because for what they had they fought every game tooth and nail.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
2016 wasn't great, or even good really. I loved that team though because for what they had they fought every game tooth and nail.

We all want to win a natty, that's what you play for, but that's darn hard to do, and doesn't happen very often. But if a fan let's anything short of a championship define success, then he's not going to be very happy, and certainly not have any fun. There is so much more to be enjoyed, such as what you just mentioned. Sometimes it's just a favorite player, or a great game or shot (Austin Rivers ruination of UNC). Many things can bring joy if you can block out those nasty negative trees that are blocking the forest.

OFC

Injuries robbed Giles. That dude was on his way to being the next kg. I think what hurt that team was no true pg
I wasn't talking about the Giles/Tatum team. Kennard and Tatum's selfish asses killed that team for me, never have I been so apathetic towards a Duke team, then again when your two leading scorers couldn't care less about the team it makes it hard. I was talking about the team before that, the 15-16 squad, little depth to start, then the injured came along and compounded it yet, they still managed to go 3-1 in the stretch of UL, UVA, UNC, and UL again.

We all want to win a natty, that's what you play for, but that's darn hard to do, and doesn't happen very often. But if a fan let's anything short of a championship define success, then he's not going to be very happy, and certainly not have any fun. There is so much more to be enjoyed, such as what you just mentioned. Sometimes it's just a favorite player, or a great game or shot (Austin Rivers ruination of UNC). Many things can bring joy if you can block out those nasty negative trees that are blocking the forest.

OFC

I think we know someone who is pissed and ready to take a chainsaw to those trees!! Zanos meets Texas chainsaw masaxrw!!

I was actually in a fairly good mood about the toughness and fight this team showed tonight until reading some of the posts in this thread. The amount of baseless whining and hyperbole when we lose, regardless of score, situation, or context is truly mind numbing. I get that some people see this as their personal therapy couch and have every right to their dumb opinion, but thank you to those of you who don’t act like 3 year olds who just lost a game of checkers when things don’t go your way.

Duke currently sits 3rd in Kenpom with an AdjEm of 31.86. This has dropped a fair amount from when Zion went down and we still trail only 2 teams: one that we have between twice, and one that we took to the wire after playing 3 games in 3 days. To give context, this is only .6 lower than the 2015 team finished after winning the entire tournament. To sum it up: yes we are much better with Zion, no we aren’t terrible without him.

To say that we were struggling or showing signs for concern before Zion went down is also patently false. We were the firm no.1 seed in the tournament, were undefeated in road games and had only and still only have lost one game full strength. I guess there was that 25 point loss to Louisville... oh wait, yeah we won that too.

To those that said Williams shut down RJ tonight by running into him and falling over every time he dribbled, let’s hope he shuts him down next time we play for 26/12/4.

If you listen to anything K and Scheyer have said in their podcasts/ interviews, they have been and continue to expect Zion back. There hasn’t been enough practice time or an actual reason for them to install new offenses and sets for a team that is going to go back to normal (hopefully with Ques at some point) for the games that actually matter.

And yes, we are not a great shooting team. I don’t think anyone here has ever thought that we were since the Kentucky game. But no, we don’t have to shoot well from 3 , or really anywhere other than in the paint to win games. The beauty of having Zion back isn’t just that our ceiling gets exponentially higher, it’s that so does our margin for error. The offensive rebounding, steals and rim protection he provides coupled with his insane efficiency means we don’t have to play great to win, it’s on our opponenet. Tonight, without him on the road against the no.3 team in the country we had to play great to win and we were fairly close there at the end. With Zion, UNC’s effort tonight would not have cut it.
post of the year candidate!

I have faith that will be the case.Living in nc ( in a geographic Tar Heel fan area) is going to suck this week.

LetsGo I can attest to that fact, but let them bring their full arsenal, we'll be ready....Just let 'em crow:

OFC

I couldnt be prouder of this team the way they responded to adversity yesterday. I mean to be down 15 minus the POY and our starting center and slice it to 5 late was truly courageous in that cesspool of an enviroment. This team played their tails off- Javin for instance off the bench for Bolden probably had best moments of his career...

O'connell unfortunately was off, and maybe if he's on things are a little different. Nonetheless, you cant be a TRUE DUKE FAN, and not love these guys. Total 180 turnaround from the game in Durham and K had a good plan.

I'm excited to get started next week with Zion back! The Bolden injury was ashame because he was really rounding into form. Praying for him. However I think Javin is ready to step it up! I know I am as a fan!
#LoveTheseGuys
#SightsOnSix

OFC

Woke up this morning and am still really proud of those kids.

Now I just need Liverpool to work out a win. Yesterday was tough for my teams.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Just remember we’re the cheaters and get all the calls. #carolinaway

I was at a high school state championship and didn't get to watch the game (I have it recorded and probably will today). Looking through the thread it is something of a mixed bag - not unusual.

There isn't even a little debate to be had that Duke is a lot better with Zion. Here is my devil's advocate question: with the personnel they have, why did Duke struggle so much without him? They finished that stretch 2-3, and it very easily could have been 1-4 with that Wake game. He is a giant difference maker, but the cupboard isn't bare without him. Anyone losing a NPOY will struggle, but should it have been this much? I would be interested to hear thoughts there.

I was at a high school state championship and didn't get to watch the game (I have it recorded and probably will today). Looking through the thread it is something of a mixed bag - not unusual.

There isn't even a little debate to be had that Duke is a lot better with Zion. Here is my devil's advocate question: with the personnel they have, why did Duke struggle so much without him? They finished that stretch 2-3, and it very easily could have been 1-4 with that Wake game. He is a giant difference maker, but the cupboard isn't bare without him. Anyone losing a NPOY will struggle, but should it have been this much? I would be interested to hear thoughts there.
Zion is one of the absolute best players to ever play college basketball, he's far better than your "average" NPOY, he's transcendent. I predicted before the season started we'd finish 25-10, if that tells you anything, and really, if Zion wasn't so amazing I wouldn't have been far off, he elevated this team from "pretty good" to "amazing", we can be competitive with anyone and beat anyone without him, with him, no one really stands a chance unless they play out of their minds for 40 minutes. He makes everyone around him better by opening up the floor on offense, disrupting the opposing offense and so many other little things that you can't quantify. He is absolutely irreplaceable. So yeah, the quick drop off, though we have definitely improved, as we were only a few bad possessions from taking down the Heels in the Dome, isn't surprising.

Reactions: christophero
Duke lost to the hottest team, and what’s looking to be the most complete team- top 3 UNC twice and on the road at top 20 Va. Tech. I don’t understand the thought process of we are struggling mightily without him????

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, what's gonna happen on here when we finally do have a team that isn't that good? I still haven't gotten over how many on here think last year's team was some type of hideous failure. The kind of excellence that K and Duke have brought to us fans is practically unheard of in college basketball. We're going to miss the old guy when he leaves.

OFC
What’s going to happen? I’m still going to be a Duke fan. I think you will too.

i bet Brad Stevens will run the pick and roll. If we could just get that sorry azz K to step down already.

Bless your little heart. It's going to be OK. When Coach K retire, you will live on....I think

Don’t get that tard started man lol. Ain’t in the mood.

You're not allowed to discuss me and my takes until you actually speak basketball. Not once have you come close to breaking down what happened in a game or an adjustment that would make sense. All you do is come on here and complain or talk negative or echo someone else's point

Last edited:
Zion makes us at least 10 points better, and that's conservative. So perhaps with him we win every recent game but the first UNC game; maybe. 2 of our 3 losses during this stretch have been to the hottest team in the country right now. Will prob. get swarmed for that last comment but that's my theory. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
Bless your little heart. It's going to be OK. When Coach K retire, you will live on....I think

You're not allowed to discuss me and my takes until you actually speak basketball. Not once have you come close to breaking down what happened in a game or an adjustment that would make sense. All you do is come on here and complain or talk negative or echo someone else's point
We didn’t run the pick and roll.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Duke lost to the hottest team, and what’s looking to be the most complete team- top 3 UNC twice and on the road at top 20 Va. Tech. I don’t understand the thought process of we are struggling mightily without him????

Virginia is a more complete team than NC. It's really not even close.

All I do is come on here and complain....Wrong. All I do is talk negative...Wrong. All I do is echo someone else’s point...Really wrong. You’re on your usual roll of being wrong. All that’s left is your take on this last game. Haha...Oh and I can’t discuss you...Wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: QC Dukie
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT