ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NC STATE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

I'm not sure if it's that or if they are just having one of those nights. Some of the issue isn't Ky... They are missing a ton of open shots

List their 5 best wins this year and we’ll see if they get the benefit of the doubt for laying an egg tonight...

The Brotherhood:

DzkraRvX4AEAXY8.jpg

Awesome picture. #brotherhood

List their 5 best wins this year and we’ll see if they get the benefit of the doubt for laying an egg tonight...

It's not worth my time to look it up, but I would dare to imagine that a team ranked #1, with one loss, normally hits open shots better than this. If that's not true, cool.

It's not worth my time to look it up, but I would dare to imagine that a team ranked #1, with one loss, normally hits open shots better than this. If that's not true, cool.

Not trying to be a douche about it, but when you look at their schedule, it’s pretty rough. They beat Gonzaga, that’s it when it comes to respectable wins. My point being a team that doesn’t face a gauntlet in conference play doesn’t get excuses when they are on the National spotlight.

Reactions: youngman42
Not trying to be a douche about it, but when you look at their schedule, it’s pretty rough. They beat Gonzaga, that’s it when it comes to respectable wins. My point being a team that doesn’t face a gauntlet in conference play doesn’t get excuses when they are on the National spotlight.

They’ve only played 3 currently ranked teams. Louisville and Gonzaga were wins, Kansas a loss. They’ve managed to avoid all the ranked teams in the SEC until tonight.

Wer'e good.....I was just saying I think they typically shoot better than they are, especially when open. I haven't watched them once all year, so I know nothing about them

They’ve only played 3 currently ranked teams. Louisville and Gonzaga were wins, Kansas a loss. They’ve managed to avoid all the ranked teams in the SEC until tonight.

That Zags win was when one of the Zags guards was out with injury. Not the same guy they were without vs Duke, but ANOTHER player. And that was at UT.

Wer'e good.....I was just saying I think they typically shoot better than they are, especially when open. I haven't watched them once all year, so I know nothing about them

Nor have I. Which is weird for a #1 team. They’ve remained there by default, beating up on the bottom of the conference.

I’m not saying they are scrubs but we went on the road @ Virginia when the nation was all watching and handled our business. They are put in a similar spot and get blown out. With nothing else to justify them, they have to be deemed over rated.

*I think they get blown out. They are down 13 late, but we’ve seen bigger comebacks.

I know it’s hard to argue with wins, but our half-court offense is terrible. Swing motion, but no motion. The ball is passed around the top of the key until it’s placed in Zion or RJ’s hands to ISO, where they draw a double-team and pass out or put the ball up. Its not a bad thing when Zion ISO’s, he’s efficient. RJ on the other hand will just force it up. His talent makes him lucky sometimes, the physicality of the defense makes him lucky with a call. But usually he’s just tossing up some awkward shot. He’s a terrific player but this is disastrous from an efficiency stand-point. Our offense wastes WAY TOO MANY possessions by allowing Barrett to be an acrobat. Mamba mentality is a beautiful thing, but he’s not quite Kobe Bryant yet. (Yes, I know he had 10 assists tonight - triple team and fast break helped that. I’m generally speaking over the course of the season.)

Listen to every analyst out there about Tre Jones, “He runs the offense so well!”

Actually watching the game and thinking, “Tre Jones sets up nothing in a half-court offense.”

Not his fault, it’s just the design of the offense. But that’s the EXACT issue. This kid is the epitome of a pure playmaker. He protects the ball, high IQ, superb court vision — yet every possession he’s just swinging the ball around the top of the key or tossing it to RJ/Zion to ISO. Listen, I’m not Coach K — I don’t know what’s best, but I’m failing to make sense of this.

“Ok... what would you do?”
Imagine playing 4 out (Tre, Cam, RJ, Jack / Alex) and 1 in (Zion) Pick n’ Roll!!! The BEST decision maker on our team is Tre, the pure playmaker, why not put all the decisions in his hands? Zion sets a pick, Tre activates his defender into it and the play has began. Is Zion open rolling towards the basket? Has the screen opened an elbow mid-range or running floater for Tre himself? Did any defenders collapse to help with Zion rolling, leaving someone naked behind the arc? Did RJ catch his man sleeping on the perimeter and is cutting a step ahead of his defender towards the basket awaiting a pass or lob? Did the defenders switch on the initial screen, leaving Zion in the paint with a guard? Matchup nightmare!

Duke is good. Scary good. RJ Barrett is one hell of a talent but we are going to get bounced in March with his efficiency. If Reddish is in his normal (sad to say) self shooting 1-8, 2-10 and RJ is shooting 30% on 25 attempts, this doesn’t work against big dogs. Look at the Gonzaga game from Barrett. 9/25FG Loss. Syracuse 8/30FG Loss. The first Virginia game, Barrett had similar numbers. We were just very fortunate that Virginia had their worst shooting night of the season. There’s been a handful of other games with these types of numbers but due to the fact that it was against weaker opponents, it didn’t matter. If this trend happens past the sweet 16, barring some luck, we’re going to get bounced.

Disclaimer... I love RJ Barrett, he’s a beast. I wouldn’t not want him on the blue devils. I’m glad he’s a confident player, but his forced shot selection has got to be limited down.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I know it’s hard to argue with wins, but our half-court offense is terrible. Swing motion, but no motion. The ball is passed around the top of the key until it’s placed in Zion or RJ’s hands to ISO, where they draw a double-team and pass out or put the ball up. Its not a bad thing when Zion ISO’s, he’s efficient. RJ on the other hand will just force it up. His talent makes him lucky sometimes, the physicality of the defense makes him lucky with a call. But usually he’s just tossing up some awkward shot. He’s a terrific player but this is disastrous from an efficiency stand-point. Our offense wastes WAY TOO MANY possessions by allowing Barrett to be an acrobat. Mamba mentality is a beautiful thing, but he’s not quite Kobe Bryant yet. (Yes, I know he had 10 assists tonight - triple team and fast break helped that. I’m generally speaking over the course of the season.)

Listen to every analyst out there about Tre Jones, “He runs the offense so well!”

Actually watching the game and thinking, “Tre Jones sets up nothing in a half-court offense.”

Not his fault, it’s just the design of the offense. But that’s the EXACT issue. This kid is the epitome of a pure playmaker. He protects the ball, high IQ, superb court vision — yet every possession he’s just swinging the ball around the top of the key or tossing it to RJ/Zion to ISO. Listen, I’m not Coach K — I don’t know what’s best, but I’m failing to make sense of this.

Imagine playing 4 out (Tre, Cam, RJ, Jack / Alex) and 1 in (Zion) Pick n’ Roll!!! The BEST decision maker on our team is Tre, the pure playmaker, why not put all the decisions in his hands? Zion sets a pick, Tre activates his defender into it and the play has began. Is Zion open rolling towards the basket? Has the screen opened an elbow mid-range or running floater for Tre himself? Did any defenders collapse to help with Zion rolling, leaving someone naked behind the arc? Did RJ catch his man sleeping on the perimeter and is cutting a step ahead of his defender towards the basket awaiting a pass or lob? Did the defenders switch on the initial screen, leaving Zion in the paint with a guard? Matchup nightmare!

Duke is good. Scary good. RJ Barrett is one hell of a talent but we are going to get bounced in March with his efficiency. If Reddish is in his normal (sad to say) self shooting 1-8, 2-10 and RJ is shooting 30% on 25 attempts, this doesn’t work against big dogs. Look at the Gonzaga game from Barrett. 9/25FG Loss. Syracuse 8/30FG Loss. The first Virginia game, Barrett had similar numbers. We were just very fortunate that Virginia had their worst shooting night of the season. There’s been a handful of other games with these types of numbers but due to the fact that it was against weaker opponents, it didn’t matter. If this trend happens past the sweet 16, barring some luck, we’re going to get bounced.

Disclaimer... I love RJ Barrett, he’s a beast. I wouldn’t not want him on the blue devils. I’m glad he’s a confident player, but his forced shot selection has got to be limited down.

Thoughts? Opinions?

So let’s play Decil’s advocate, what happens if only half of those things happen (Cam shooting poorly, RJ doesn’t force shots, etc) all without having to pick and roll against zones and packed in defenses? Pick and roll can’t happen when teams play the pseudo pack line that they do against Duke. What happens then?

Everyone has to change their defense so much to even hang with Duke they are totally out of sorts when it comes to actually defending the Blue Devils. That’s been the beauty of it. Teams playing zone when they don’t normally zone. Coaches trying to teach pack line in a week when it takes a whole offseason and preseason to run it even partially correctly.

The only teams that will hurt Duke in the tourney are teams that already have those D’s in place. And they still might not be able to stop them.

Reactions: bfort2223
And when we talk about Duke’s losses, let’s really talk about them. Gonzaga caught Duke at the end of a 3 day and veteran bodies took over freshman bodies. Our guys were spent. It is what it is. The beauty of having veterans and all that. And Duke still lost by a shot. And really, the offense wasn’t the issue, it was defense.

Fast forward to Syracuse. Duke lost their engine and their 3rd best offensive player wasn’t available. The game went to overtime and as badly as Duke shot, they still put up 91 and only lost by 4. Offense wasn’t the issue that game.

So Duke’s well spoken demise always centers around who’s going to stop them from scoring. This team’s defense is top 3 in the country. Score on Duke first, then we’ll talk about stopping them on offense.

That’s the issue, to beat Duke, you have to have YOUR absolute perfect game. Duke doesn’t have to do that to beat anyone in the country. Advantage: Duke.

And finally @BeerPoisoning, if what RJ does is such a problem, do you not think K would have done something about it? RJ opens up so much for his teammates and will continue to do so as their games improve.

I’m not criticizing you. I’m asking a legit question. Wanted to add that in so I don’t get the “no one on this board can criticize” lecture.

You know, I’ll correct myself. RJ himself isn’t the problem. The problem is that the 41 (sometimes 5 out) motion offense forces him to force shots. I’m not saying that you can’t find a cutter, but the whole point of a 4-out motion offense is to swing the ball while rotating position around the key and setting off-ball screens. During this process, Duke is searching for an open shooter or Zion rotating to the “1” (post) with a matchup advantage. This one of the most powerful offenses, a nightmare for defenses. Duke runs it beautifully...... The problem? 2/3rds of our games, we have shot 30% or less from behind the arc. 6 games where we have shot exactly 20% or less from 3. These aren’t fluke games or numbers, this is the story of this season. The 60% from 3 game against Virginia was a fluke of luck. Just to really get my point across with this offense not working, we are 305th in the nation in terms of 3pt% and 4th in the Top25 in most attempts per game.

Duke leads the country in offensive rebounds. Opponents are only grabbing 61% of our misses, which is insane. Top 3 in the nation in defensive efficiency and opponent shooting % — In other words, we are virtually only winning games because we grab nearly half of our missed shots and compliments of great defense.

I’m willing to take your vote on down-playing Duke’s 2 losses given the circumstances. I (obviously) remember Tre going down with injury, but I did forget that Reddish also sat out that game from the flu or something of the sort.

All of this being said, I’m not saying that the P&R game is the answer for this offense. I was attempting to debate a suggestion. Look, I know that Duke is winning games. I know defending our offense motion offense is a headache for defenses. We all know that K knows what he’s doing. Even if he’s unhappy with the offense and privately discussing better options with his staff and players, he ain’t looking on here for advice! I know. It’s just that like you — I’m a HUGE Duke fan. I figured that given the stats, the offensive efficiency was up for a fan to fan debate / sharing of thoughts. K actually said that the 4 or 5 out motion offense will be in place for as long as he is coaching at Duke. I’m in no position to argue with the GOAT but given that this is the worst 3pt shooting team that I can remember the past decade, is he being ignorant by sticking to it?

Nice workmanlike win. The outcome was never really in question. Welcome back Jack and nice rebounding by Javin. Wonder if JG gets minutes Wed. RJ and Zion were super. @BeerPoisoning you bring up some good points but I think we will be fine. Our ability to get to the rim is what makes up for our poor shooting. And despite last night Cam's shooting seems to be trending up.

Last edited:
Nice workmanlike win. The outcome was never really in question. Welcome back Jack and nice rebounding by Javin. Wonder if JG gets minutes Wed. RJ and Zion were super. @BeerPoisoning you bring up some good points but I think we will be fine. Our ability to get to the rim is what makes up for our poor shooting. And despite last night Cam's shooting seems to be trending up.
Exactly. Our ability to get to the rim and offensive rebounding negates some of the poor perimeter shooting. I believe we rebound over 30% of our misses on the offensive end.

You know, I’ll correct myself. RJ himself isn’t the problem. The problem is that the 41 (sometimes 5 out) motion offense forces him to force shots. I’m not saying that you can’t find a cutter, but the whole point of a 4-out motion offense is to swing the ball while rotating position around the key and setting off-ball screens. During this process, Duke is searching for an open shooter or Zion rotating to the “1” (post) with a matchup advantage. This one of the most powerful offenses, a nightmare for defenses. Duke runs it beautifully...... The problem? 2/3rds of our games, we have shot 30% or less from behind the arc. 6 games where we have shot exactly 20% or less from 3. These aren’t fluke games or numbers, this is the story of this season. The 60% from 3 game against Virginia was a fluke of luck. Just to really get my point across with this offense not working, we are 305th in the nation in terms of 3pt% and 4th in the Top25 in most attempts per game.

Duke leads the country in offensive rebounds. Opponents are only grabbing 61% of our misses, which is insane. Top 3 in the nation in defensive efficiency and opponent shooting % — In other words, we are virtually only winning games because we grab nearly half of our missed shots and compliments of great defense.

I’m willing to take your vote on down-playing Duke’s 2 losses given the circumstances. I (obviously) remember Tre going down with injury, but I did forget that Reddish also sat out that game from the flu or something of the sort.

All of this being said, I’m not saying that the P&R game is the answer for this offense. I was attempting to debate a suggestion. Look, I know that Duke is winning games. I know defending our offense motion offense is a headache for defenses. We all know that K knows what he’s doing. Even if he’s unhappy with the offense and privately discussing better options with his staff and players, he ain’t looking on here for advice! I know. It’s just that like you — I’m a HUGE Duke fan. I figured that given the stats, the offensive efficiency was up for a fan to fan debate / sharing of thoughts. K actually said that the 4 or 5 out motion offense will be in place for as long as he is coaching at Duke. I’m in no position to argue with the GOAT but given that this is the worst 3pt shooting team that I can remember the past decade, is he being ignorant by sticking to it?

I hear you. I disagree a bit with your idea of the reason why K is using 4 out or 5 out. But I get your reasoning.

The other part I don’t necessarily agree with is the use of Pick and Roll. Last year's team was set up perfectly for it. They had somewhat reliable floor spacers. The Jabari team could’ve used it as well. That’s the best three point shooting team Duke has had statistically since the JJ days.

Pick and roll sounds nice, but teams pack the lane against this squad. You can’t rhn a successful P&R against college soft defenses. They dare them to shoot. That’s what happens when you’re a 30% shooting team. I wouldn’t say it’s a total “fluke” that they hit 60% against UVA, only because they’ve done it before. I would say let’s not count on it.

The offense for this team doesn’t scare me. They’ve proven they can score: against zone, against pack line, against gap denial man, against soft man, against transition teams and trapping teams. Quite honestly the team that had the best game plan was Texas Tech. All you have to do is take 8+ charges and you can hold Duke down. How easy does that sound?

My biggest concern is getting a team like Marquette or Iowa State who have no fear AND nothing to lose and continue fire the ball up and hit. Spreading Duke’s defense to disallow the help steals and blocks they get is the key to breaking down the defense. Louisville did it for 31 minutes. Gonzaga only did it for 35 minutes. Get a team who does it for 40 and you have a story.

Our offense will not be the reason we lose a game in the tournament. Scoring is not a problem for this team. We have 3 players that can take over a game and go for 30 points. We just put up 81 points on one of the top defenses in the country in a low possession game. The only way we lose is if a team goes crazy from 3 and we just have one of those ice cold 3-27 nights. It can happen but I wouldn’t count on it. In every big game this year especially away from home we have stepped up and made perimeter shots.

I think you’re missing what we’re trying to accomplish on offense. We are running an NBA style offense. (Only difference is NBA spread you out to shoot 3s). All we’re doing is trying to spread the other team out and create space to drive to the basket. We want to get to the rim. That’s the goal. We really only have one person shooting 3s. RJ settles for them when he feel like he has to but the goal is to drive to the basket. If we find a matchup we like we attack it. Pick and roll wouldn’t work for this team because we only have one real shooter. It would be a disservice to RJ to run the Tre-Zion PNR. He would be put in a role that’s not a strength for him, which is spot up three point shooter.

Being that we’re such an elite rebounding team it doesn’t really matter that we shoot bad from the 3. We get a lot of those possessions back and they end up being a made layup or foul. We may not be a good foul shooting team but the amount of attempts we get mean something. We can go 20-28 from the free throw line and while the percentage doesn’t look good we still have 20 free points and somebody in foul trouble.

Thoughts? Opinions?
There are some fair points here. I don’t think Zion wants to set screens. It comes down to keeping your stars happy.

Barrett is not efficient consistently, but he disrupts what other teams’ plans are consistently. He gets guys in foul trouble and we get open looks off of his activity. His shots vs. passes seem predetermined. The times when he actually reacts to the defense show he can be much better. Our two losses are when RJ shoots too much. Our 20+ wins are when RJ shoots too much. If we can win tough games 90% of the time by letting our guys play ISO, then our chances of running the table in the sweet 16 are pretty decent.

I’d love to see more screens set for Tre.

So let’s play Decil’s advocate, what happens if only half of those things happen (Cam shooting poorly, RJ doesn’t force shots, etc) all without having to pick and roll against zones and packed in defenses? Pick and roll can’t happen when teams play the pseudo pack line that they do against Duke. What happens then?

Everyone has to change their defense so much to even hang with Duke they are totally out of sorts when it comes to actually defending the Blue Devils. That’s been the beauty of it. Teams playing zone when they don’t normally zone. Coaches trying to teach pack line in a week when it takes a whole offseason and preseason to run it even partially correctly.

The only teams that will hurt Duke in the tourney are teams that already have those D’s in place. And they still might not be able to stop them.

Further, we have to stop acting like Alex is some sniper out there. He has shown precious little evidence of being a consistent three point threat. Trading Bolden's D and rebounding (seriously, he had a phenomenal all around game yesterday) for the possibility that Alex will make some threes is specious.

Our Defense is, well, problematic. It is very feast or famine. We do get a lot of steals. We do block a lot of shots. But when we don't get a steal, or block a shot, the opponent tends to get a good look at a shot. That doesn't mean a wide open lay up, or unguarded three. It just means that the opponent gets a shot with which his coach is probably happy. Vs a team making those good looks, we are in trouble.

I hear you. I disagree a bit with your idea of the reason why K is using 4 out or 5 out. But I get your reasoning.

The other part I don’t necessarily agree with is the use of Pick and Roll. Last year's team was set up perfectly for it. They had somewhat reliable floor spacers. The Jabari team could’ve used it as well. That’s the best three point shooting team Duke has had statistically since the JJ days.

Pick and roll sounds nice, but teams pack the lane against this squad. You can’t rhn a successful P&R against college soft defenses. They dare them to shoot. That’s what happens when you’re a 30% shooting team. I wouldn’t say it’s a total “fluke” that they hit 60% against UVA, only because they’ve done it before. I would say let’s not count on it.

The offense for this team doesn’t scare me. They’ve proven they can score: against zone, against pack line, against gap denial man, against soft man, against transition teams and trapping teams. Quite honestly the team that had the best game plan was Texas Tech. All you have to do is take 8+ charges and you can hold Duke down. How easy does that sound?

My biggest concern is getting a team like Marquette or Iowa State who have no fear AND nothing to lose and continue fire the ball up and hit. Spreading Duke’s defense to disallow the help steals and blocks they get is the key to breaking down the defense. Louisville did it for 31 minutes. Gonzaga only did it for 35 minutes. Get a team who does it for 40 and you have a story.

Marquette (and there is a 100 percent chance they are our 2 or 3) and ISU don't scare me that much. They may score on us, sure. But our two losses, and the tough wins (UVA, and UL) were vs teams that can really play D as well.
I'll admit that our D is more susceptible to failure than some other folks seem to realize. But stopping our O is something only a few teams can do.
UT would score points on Duke. UNC will score points on Duke (unless they have a cold shooting night as a team, which can happen). But neither of those teams can slow Duke down either.

Spreading Duke’s defense to disallow the help steals and blocks they get is the key to breaking down the defense. Louisville did it for 31 minutes. Gonzaga only did it for 35 minutes. Get a team who does it for 40 and you have a story.

I agree to a certain extent, but IMO Louisville’s effectiveness was more a lack of engagement by our guys than anything they were doing. They made the right passes and got the right looks, but it becomes much easier against our defense when we are a 1/2 step or full step slow.

The key to our defense and why Tre is so vital is that he creates panic. He gets the offense out of rhythm and his constant ball hawking makes opponents feel very uncomfortable. He is constantly swiping at the ball or finding the right moment to take the ball away. If we get a double and the open pass isn’t immediately available Tre is likely going to steal it away. With that being the case, the off ball defenders can be aggressive similar to a cornerback in football that trusts the pass rush. I’m not picking on Tre because all of our guys were slow against Louisville. But going back to the analogy if the pass rush doesn’t get home or the cornerbacks are sluggish guys are going to get wide open. As was the case in our game, passing lanes were open, dribble lanes were open and the entire system was off.

Our offense was certainly more engaged against NCST and we could still be playing some 18 hours later and they still wouldn’t be able to stop Zion, he was a complete mismatch. But our defense, including Tre, still didn’t have that level of engagement we are used to seeing this year. I expect that to change Wednesday, but something to keep an eye on. We need to create that chaos at the top of our defense so our off ball defenders can play forward, we get back to seeing those turnovers and we are off and running.

Regarding shooting, there is something about Cameron that doesn’t fit our eye this year. Curious to see how shooting stats home vs. away compare.

Our Defense is, well, problematic. It is very feast or famine. We do get a lot of steals. We do block a lot of shots. But when we don't get a steal, or block a shot, the opponent tends to get a good look at a shot. That doesn't mean a wide open lay up, or unguarded three. It just means that the opponent gets a shot with which his coach is probably happy. Vs a team making those good looks, we are in trouble.

Duke’s defense is not as bad as you like to say it is. I think it has it’s weaknesses that teams can exploit, but it’s a lot more difficult to exploit those weaknesses. You typically bring up UVA’s easy shots against Duke in the first game. First the shots were all generally contested and any layups UVA got were by design.

Look at the stat rankings: 12th in 2pt% defense (44%), 16th in 3pt% defense (29%), 15th in rebounding (1055), 4th in steals (262) and 1st in blocks (181). You say the defense is reliant on turnovers, but Duke is only 97th in that category (315). Duke’s defense is predicated on help defense and using athleticism to force the shots you don’t want. The numbers are clear and that has been a Coach K staple for years.

I didn’t even mention the adjusted defense stats or Kenpom’s rankings. Those are a bit more subjective but tell the same story.

Duke’s defense is not problematic. It can be beaten, but it’s not a problem. It’s about the only place you can even hope to attack this team if you catch them on a bad night.

I agree to a certain extent, but IMO Louisville’s effectiveness was more a lack of engagement by our guys than anything they were doing. They made the right passes and got the right looks, but it becomes much easier against our defense when we are a 1/2 step or full step slow.

The key to our defense and why Tre is so vital is that he creates panic. He gets the offense out of rhythm and his constant ball hawking makes opponents feel very uncomfortable. He is constantly swiping at the ball or finding the right moment to take the ball away. If we get a double and the open pass isn’t immediately available Tre is likely going to steal it away. With that being the case, the off ball defenders can be aggressive similar to a cornerback in football that trusts the pass rush. I’m not picking on Tre because all of our guys were slow against Louisville. But going back to the analogy if the pass rush doesn’t get home or the cornerbacks are sluggish guys are going to get wide open. As was the case in our game, passing lanes were open, dribble lanes were open and the entire system was off.

Our offense was certainly more engaged against NCST and we could still be playing some 18 hours later and they still wouldn’t be able to stop Zion, he was a complete mismatch. But our defense, including Tre, still didn’t have that level of engagement we are used to seeing this year. I expect that to change Wednesday, but something to keep an eye on. We need to create that chaos at the top of our defense so our off ball defenders can play forward, we get back to seeing those turnovers and we are off and running.

Regarding shooting, there is something about Cameron that doesn’t fit our eye this year. Curious to see how shooting stats home vs. away compare.

I don’t disagree with that at all. My only rebuttal was how easily Gonzaga got shots. But again, that was a tired Duke team. Maybe fatigue is this team’s only weakness.

Reactions: chov1125

And @chov1125 to answer your question about shooting stats at venues, 34% at neutral sites (5 games), 40% on the road (6 games), 27% at home (14 games).

Reactions: chov1125
I'm thankful we are in first place in the mighty ACC, Undefeated on the road, lost only 1 game at home and we all know why, and oh yeah, come tomorrow, back at the top in the polls, where everybody knows Iregardless of the losses, Duke is the best.

I say all of that to say this, I can only imagine some on this board if we were in the middle of the pack. If you want to be so critical about defense, lack of 3 point shooting, bench not producing, etc.. knock yourself out. I'm going to enjoy the FACTS that no matter what our amateur analysis is, this team is handling business no matter how ugly or great it looks. We as Duke fans are so freaking spoiled! We could be a lot worse.

Everything I see mentioned here about what we are not doing well, that applies to every team we played as well when it comes to trying to stop Duke on offense. Probably a lot more with dealing with Zion or RJ, and Even Cam. My comments may get under some people's skin, if so then we are even. As Bobby McFerrin use to sing "Don't Worry be Happy!"

And @chov1125 to answer your question about shooting stats at venues, 34% at neutral sites (5 games), 40% on the road (6 games), 27% at home (14 games).

Doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I guess it’s a good thing that the tournament isn’t played at Cameron?!?! Just weird.

Reactions: dukehokie

We are an attacking style defense. Very aggressive with how we play so yes we will be susceptible to great execution. It’s like in football when a team blitzes a lot and play press man coverage. You’re susceptible to the big play but you’re taking that chance because you know how turnovers can change momentum in a game. We are at our best in transition. So we have to create havoc to get in transition as much as possible. We can’t be an attacking and aggressive defense while also being able to prevent drives to the basket. That may work in middle school if you just have the superior talent but it won’t work in college basketball. As long as we play hard we will win. It’s that simple

I don’t blame K for running 5-out or 4-1 because these guys are capable of hitting shots, it’s just unfortunately not happening as often as it should. I think we can mutually agree that Reddish’s perimeter shooting has been an overall disappointment so far. If they shoot the way they’re capable of shooting, this offense flips the switch to the unbeatable level. If last year’s team had the coreographic touch that our guy’s have this year with this offense, it would have an offensive slaughter.

We can agree to disagree about the P&R. I’m not sure how much NBA (if any) you watch, but that P&R Nash and Stoudemire used to run in Phoenix in the mid-00’s was nasty. Zion giving Tre a pick and cutting diagonally, Barrett cutting across the paint right as Tre comes off the screen. Reddish and O’Connell in the corners. Tre can hit those elbow middies if the defense miraculously recovered. Even a traditional RJ / Zion P&R would be a good mix up for it given the slashing abilities of both players. I remember reading in RJ’s draft profile before the season started about how elite of a ball-handler he was in the P&R game. I’m sure if this method was successful, K would incorporate it, but I’d just love to see it dabbled with in a game at some point. But — I know the modern NBA loves the motion “positionless” offense and so does K, rightfully so. It’s the best choice when shots are falling.

I think every contender’s biggest threat is running into a so/so team full of shooters with nothing to lose. I don’t think Virginia Tech is on anyone’s radar and they’ve been blown out by the top dogs in the ACC but hey, lookout... They shoot 42% AS A TEAM from behind the arc. That’s dangerous in March.

Further, we have to stop acting like Alex is some sniper out there. He has shown precious little evidence of being a consistent three point threat. Trading Bolden's D and rebounding (seriously, he had a phenomenal all around game yesterday) for the possibility that Alex will make some threes is specious.

(3pt shooting)Nothing crazy but solid as a freshman last year. He hasn’t had the chance to showcase himself this year, maybe an attempt or two every few games. I think he went like 5-9 against Syracuse, for what it’s worth. Hard for him to get PT against the defensive likes of Bolden, DeLaurier and White — which is fair. But if we’re in need of some offensive shooting CPR, taking a little hit on defense for a guy who can reliably hit 3’s wouldn’t be a bad idea.

I know I’m being the ungrateful brat that started the “how Duke can improve” discussion on this thread, but I think defense is the last thing worth poking at. I mean, we’re the #1 team in the country because of our defense. It’s not flawless, nothing in basketball is but it’s 110% top-notch.

I'm thankful we are in first place in the mighty ACC, Undefeated on the road, lost only 1 game at home and we all know why, and oh yeah, come tomorrow, back at the top in the polls, where everybody knows Iregardless of the losses, Duke is the best.

I say all of that to say this, I can only imagine some on this board if we were in the middle of the pack. If you want to be so critical about defense, lack of 3 point shooting, bench not producing, etc.. knock yourself out. I'm going to enjoy the FACTS that no matter what our amateur analysis is, this team is handling business no matter how ugly or great it looks. We as Duke fans are so freaking spoiled! We could be a lot worse.

Everything I see mentioned here about what we are not doing well, that applies to every team we played as well when it comes to trying to stop Duke on offense. Probably a lot more with dealing with Zion or RJ, and Even Cam. My comments may get under some people's skin, if so then we are even. As Bobby McFerrin use to sing "Don't Worry be Happy!"

You’re not wrong. Yes, we are winning no matter how pretty or ugly. I’m also grateful for ugly wins, they strengthen us. Nobody on here (myself included) is bashing Duke. Just discussing potential “achilles heels”

Forums are for discussion and debate, ya know? o_O

Even the strongest teams have a weakness. Even the Patriots and all their Super Bowls or the Yankees and all their World Series rings had weaknesses. I have no issue with discussing them. There’s certainly things we can improve upon.

But it can also be how you characterize it that gets under some skins. Calling someone a ball hog (RJ) or saying someone stinks (Jordan) or saying we got lucky (VA shooting) is an insult to our team who is doing amazing things this year. It also does make us sound entitled, whiny or just stupid. But as long as it’s intelligent conversation no issue seen by me. We still have unfinished business.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT