ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS WAKE FOREST OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

The people that say Duke stinks are wrong. It seems like they find and post only negative comments. Then we have posters that are almost as bad the other way. I was high on this team before 2020, but my expectations have lowered. Sorry. After losing 2 out of the last 3, and giving up 88 and 113 in the 2 losses, and our overall defense since December, can anyone honestly be upset that a poster doesn’t think we will make the final four?
We can get there, but if I had a $1,000.00 to wager on them, it wouldn’t be placed on Duke making it to Atlanta.
I still will root for them, and still have hope, but not going to lie either, I can’t help but question some of what K is doing.

The people that say Duke stinks are wrong. It seems like they find and post only negative comments. Then we have posters that are almost as bad the other way. I was high on this team before 2020, but my expectations have lowered. Sorry. After losing 2 out of the last 3, and giving up 88 and 113 in the 2 losses, and our overall defense since December, can anyone honestly be upset that a poster doesn’t think we will make the final four?
We can get there, but if I had a $1,000.00 to wager on them, it wouldn’t be placed on Duke making it to Atlanta.
I still will root for them, and still have hope, but not going to lie either, I can’t help but question some of what K is doing.

good idea to lower them. No doubt in my mind that it’s realistically possible that Duke only has 5 games left this year. 3 RS and 0-1 in both Tournaments.

I didn't see the game because Comcast hasn't blessed us with the ACC network, but it never occurred to me that we would lose this game. I thought it would be close, but we would prevail. I'm not feeling too confident about UVA at the moment. @retiredsoldier may have to give me a pep talk before then.

I didn't see the game because Comcast hasn't blessed us with the ACC network, but it never occurred to me that we would lose this game. I thought it would be close, but we would prevail. I'm not feeling too confident about UVA at the moment. @retiredsoldier may have to give me a pep talk before then.

If losing to State/Wake isnt enough of a pep talk for the team then maybe we send Retired Soldier into the locker room to help. You'd think it would be enough to piss any group of players off....time will tell.

Maybe K just isn’t showing his cards yet...yea no lol. I think we got just as good of a chance as anyone else this year though! Favorable matchups, a little luck, a couple guys flipping the switch when we need it, slipping a couple dollas in the refs pockets:rolleyes: and we got a shot!! Lol

Maybe K just isn’t showing his cards yet...yea no lol. I think we got just as good of a chance as anyone else this year though! Favorable matchups, a little luck, a couple guys flipping the switch when we need it, slipping a couple dollas in the refs pockets:rolleyes: and we got a shot!! Lol

Agree to disagree

When you consistently have really young teams you have to accept there’s going to be roller coaster rides throughout a long season. I don’t think we’re as bad as @ NC State or @ Wake, but we might not be as good as our best, either.

Here’s the thing....we have a lot of talent. Our coach, although sometimes stubborn, has a history of being pretty good. With exception of maybe one or two other teams in the country, our roster matches up.

I’m not going to lie and say I think #6 is there for the taking, but I’m also not going to take my chips and go home. We’ve seen Duke in some tough spots over the years and dig themselves out for a run. With as wide open as things are this season, it’d be foolish to completely turn our backs. We want the coaches and players to buck up? Do the same.

It’s a game for us fans....enjoy it. If you can’t, then find something else to do....not for me or anybody else, but for yourself.

meis, I was pretty down in the dumps last night like never before, but when I woke up this morning to a little bit of sunshine after weeks of constant rain here, I took it as a sign that better times were on the way. I'm hoping it starts immediately if that sign was for me or Duke.
The reason I'm never negative on this board about Duke until last night was because for one, I'm not a negative person, and two, I have always believed you talk bad enough about something, you speak it into existence.
I was just as out of character last night with my few posts as Duke has been for a few head-scratching losses. But when I came to my senses this morning, I realized they are young men trying to do their best in front of a national audience every 3-4 days. How many of us do that when no cameras are on us? I'm keeping the faith and will always be ride or die with my boys. Who am I really to criticize in a public forum from the comforts of my couch? Duke will do better just as I will. Plus whining just didn't feel right, not sure how people do that on constant basic lol.

Why are there so many posters who become active when we lose? It always seems there are one or two when we win don't have a lot to say but when we lose they know exactley what the problem is. What motivates people like that? I know it sudden really bother me but it does. What are they like in real life away from the board? Sometimes I question if they are Duke fans. It's like they may be a troll and mess with us. I'm trying so hard to ignore them. Am I the only one here that those posters bother? OFC
Sky, brother this is the question I have wondered about from the very first time I started posting on here. And they seem to wonder why the regular poster here either call them out for it or make fun of the fact that they only show up when there are bad times. Like I said a few game threads ago, there is no way in H*** that the bad games are the only time they are not busy to post here. You can go back and look at the game threads for wins and losses and clearly see who the main culprits are.

I have questioned the same thing as far as being Duke fans. Nothing wrong with a little criticizing, but to be Missing In Action on the good days looks like a fan crossed between wanting to be a fan and wanting to be a hater. Pick a side and be done with it lol, or get off the bandwagon at the next stop. Just my 2 cents.

If losing to State/Wake isnt enough of a pep talk for the team then maybe we send Retired Soldier into the locker room to help. You'd think it would be enough to piss any group of players off....time will tell.
I have a go-bag packed and ready to go if needed lol. I've had a few motivational talks under my belt.

Reactions: meisperplexed
Sky, brother this is the question I have wondered about from the very first time I started posting on here. And they seem to wonder why the regular poster here either call them out for it or make fun of the fact that they only show up when there are bad times. Like I said a few game threads ago, there is no way in H*** that the bad games are the only time they are not busy to post here. You can go back and look at the game threads for wins and losses and clearly see who the main culprits are.

I have questioned the same thing as far as being Duke fans. Nothing wrong with a little criticizing, but to be Missing In Action on the good days looks like a fan crossed between wanting to be a fan and wanting to be a hater. Pick a side and be done with it lol, or get off the bandwagon at the next stop. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the supportive post. OFC

Thanks for the supportive post. OFC
Any time. I have the utmost respect for you as well as mostly everybody here and when you wrote the post that you did, it carried weight with me. You don't normally come across like this, but sometimes enough is enough, especially when it hits you clearly in the face every single time, the exact same way. Being predictable, especially in a negative way, is never a good thing, which makes you easy to figure out.

When you consistently have really young teams you have to accept there’s going to be roller coaster rides throughout a long season. I don’t think we’re as bad as @ NC State or @ Wake, but we might not be as good as our best, either.

Here’s the thing....we have a lot of talent. Our coach, although sometimes stubborn, has a history of being pretty good. With exception of maybe one or two other teams in the country, our roster matches up.

I’m not going to lie and say I think #6 is there for the taking, but I’m also not going to take my chips and go home. We’ve seen Duke in some tough spots over the years and dig themselves out for a run. With as wide open as things are this season, it’d be foolish to completely turn our backs. We want the coaches and players to buck up? Do the same.

It’s a game for us fans....enjoy it. If you can’t, then find something else to do....not for me or anybody else, but for yourself.

Excellent post, and great advice, DJ.

I would say that I'm looking forward to you joining the OFC, but I know you're not, and hell I'll be dead by then anyway. :)

OFC

I guess to me, its kind of like a Jekyll/Hyde personalty Duke has right now. We had the streak then drop two of three to teams I really feel we are superior. I am not troubled by a lack of motivation last nite (we played hard unlike at State), but down the stretch simply did not protect the ball.

I am going to keep pulling for this school, and its athletic teams the remainder of my life. I am not going to write Duke Basketball off this year, but I would say I am concerned. Saturday is going to be a gut check, and a war at C'ville. I think we will get an even better read on this team's psyche, perhaps their ceiling this year, etc. At Virginia, is much more difficult than at Wake and at State.
#DevilsAlways

OFC

meis, I was pretty down in the dumps last night like never before, but when I woke up this morning to a little bit of sunshine after weeks of constant rain here, I took it as a sign that better times were on the way. I'm hoping it starts immediately if that sign was for me or Duke.
The reason I'm never negative on this board about Duke until last night was because for one, I'm not a negative person, and two, I have always believed you talk bad enough about something, you speak it into existence.
I was just as out of character last night with my few posts as Duke has been for a few head-scratching losses. But when I came to my senses this morning, I realized they are young men trying to do their best in front of a national audience every 3-4 days. How many of us do that when no cameras are on us? I'm keeping the faith and will always be ride or die with my boys. Who am I really to criticize in a public forum from the comforts of my couch? Duke will do better just as I will. Plus whining just didn't feel right, not sure how people do that on constant basic lol.

Thanks RS! I actually didn't read the game thread, so I didn't see any of your posts that were negative, I just think you give good pep talks. :)

For ME, when I used to do that, I was just drunk venting lol. I think they’re Duke fans, but being a Duke fan isn’t for everyone. I will say I havnt really read much from them this year. Sad to say but I read THRetard more than this board. Less annoyed and more humor lol

Last edited:
Everybody’s gonna take it different. I went from crying as a kid, taking it personally and letting it affect me (public chirping) to now being I guess an ... lighten the mood with stupid humor optimist ? Lol

Soldier you are an honorable man my friend, and no need for apologies. I felt same way after game Tuesday nite, and just had to keep myself off board.

For instance I was way too hard immediately after game on J-Gold. Then I saw a clip of him getting mugged to lose the ball with about 30 seconds left in regulation that led to the game tying Childress shot. I am not necessarily blaming officials, but by same token cannot blame J-Gold.

Bottom line, heat of battle, we have ALL been too hard on the kids one time or another.No worries buddy-lets go get UVA..

OFC

Last edited:
No one can definitely say how this team will finish, saying this is a "2nd round team" is dumb.
This team could lose in the first round if we play an athletic team that attacks the paint and we miss a lot of FT's, this team could also win the National Championship.

Am I as confident with this Duke team as I was last year?? No, not even close. But the field is down. We beat the teams we are supposed to beat, and maybe get a little tournament luck (a Kansas upset) and we could still win it all. The past few years, we have had little luck as far as the higher seeded teams getting upset in our bracket, I think that changes this year.

I guess to me, its kind of like a Jekyll/Hyde personalty Duke has right now. We had the streak then drop two of three to teams I really feel we are superior. I am not troubled by a lack of motivation last nite (we played hard unlike at State), but down the stretch simply did not protect the ball.

I am going to keep pulling for this school, and its athletic teams the remainder of my life. I am not going to write Duke Basketball off this year, but I would say I am concerned. Saturday is going to be a gut check, and a war at C'ville. I think we will get an even better read on this team's psyche, perhaps their ceiling this year, etc. At Virginia, is much more difficult than at Wake and at State.
#DevilsAlways

OFC

hart, this describes my feelings perfectly. I'm confused by this team. I swear I looked at the score and thought it was an egregious error. No worries though. Onward to Saturday.

Reactions: hart2chesson
hart, this describes my feelings perfectly. I'm confused by this team. I swear I looked at the score and thought it was an egregious error. No worries though. Onward to Saturday.

Me, hang in there brother. Ideally we go into C'ville and somehow win in convincing fashion. Then start another winning streak, a bit longer thru early April! #D4L OFC

Wednesday I was thinking about the Wake debacle and had radio on. An old Paul Simon song was playing. Slip Sliding Away. For a few minutes I thought can this be what is happening to this teams season? Hopefully not.

I think there’s still plenty of reason to be positive for the rest of the season. I’d recommend listening to The Duke Basketball podcast this week, Scheyer puts things in pretty good perspective and they bring up the fact that almost every champion over the past many years has had a bunch of losses later in the season before righting the ship in the tournament. I know it sounds weird but big winning streaks always make me nervous. I’d almost rather this group wins out the rest of the season and loses in the finals or semifinals of the ACCT than be expected to win 12 straight games to end the year.
We also, despite falling in these numbers significantly over the last 2 weeks, are still only one of 3 teams that is top 15 in O and D efficiency in Kenpom. Our defense has been in the top 10 almost all season, if we can find a way to get that back and start holding teams to the sub 70 point realm like we were doing consistently early in the season, we have as good a shot as anyone. If we’ve seen one thing about this Duke team this year, they tend to show up for big games. It remains to be seen if this will apply to every game in the tournament and we won’t treat the first few rounds like NC State and Wake.

Reactions: dukesince91
I think there’s still plenty of reason to be positive for the rest of the season. I’d recommend listening to The Duke Basketball podcast this week, Scheyer puts things in pretty good perspective and they bring up the fact that almost every champion over the past many years has had a bunch of losses later in the season before righting the ship in the tournament. I know it sounds weird but big winning streaks always make me nervous. I’d almost rather this group wins out the rest of the season and loses in the finals or semifinals of the ACCT than be expected to win 12 straight games to end the year.
We also, despite falling in these numbers significantly over the last 2 weeks, are still only one of 3 teams that is top 15 in O and D efficiency in Kenpom. Our defense has been in the top 10 almost all season, if we can find a way to get that back and start holding teams to the sub 70 point realm like we were doing consistently early in the season, we have as good a shot as anyone. If we’ve seen one thing about this Duke team this year, they tend to show up for big games. It remains to be seen if this will apply to every game in the tournament and we won’t treat the first few rounds like NC State and Wake.
I like this post, especially about win streaks coming to an end. The only win streak I care about is the 6 game win streak at the end of the season. I truly think we play our best when playing top 10 teams. I think we beat VA and then have a lost in the semis are finals of the ACC tournament. Then let’s hope for that win streak!

Defense is definitely the current issue. It is good to hear Duke is still top 15 in that metric, though it surprises me a bit. Watching UVA and VT the other night, UVA spent the entire second half putting Clark with Diakete in high ball screens and getting shots that way. It stands to reason Duke is going to see a high volume of those, and Clark is pretty crafty.

I will admit to my current optimism being at a low for this season after Wake. I could somewhat dismiss the NC St. game because it was such a statistical outlier for both teams in so many ways. The Wake loss though was hard to take. It was one for which it is difficult to find excuses/rationalizations. That being said, a strong performance at UVA Saturday, and my emotional roller coaster will swing back the other way! I remember being so high about this group in January that I went ahead and bought NCAA tickets in Greensboro. I can easily get there again.

Reactions: jwill133
One thing is for sure....if we struggle to defend at UVA tomorrow, like if they score over 60 points. Sound the emergency alarm. UVA has the #209 Ken-Pom offense.

I'd love to see us force some turnovers (12 for them is a lot because they play at a snail's pace) and hold them under 50 points.

One thing is for sure....if we struggle to defend at UVA tomorrow, like if they score over 60 points. Sound the emergency alarm. UVA has the #209 Ken-Pom offense.

I'd love to see us force some turnovers (12 for them is a lot because they play at a snail's pace) and hold them under 50 points.
We don’t force turnovers anymore. That seems to die down every year around this time. Its crazy

What is our best game? A 2 pt win against Kansas the first game of the season? A 5 pt win against FSU at home when we were favored by 8? Or a 12 pt win against barely-in-the-top 25 MSU? Lets face it, our bad losses are a lot worse than our best wins.

Our resume is very similar to '17-18. A win the first week of the season against the #2. No real great wins aside from a 10 pt win against UNC. And a handful of headscratchers (@ BC, @NCSU, @SJU, @ VT). And even that team was one bounce away from a Final Four.

I think its too early to jump ship on this team. We have the two most important pieces. A savvy PG and a center who eats up space and gets easy points.

What is our best game? A 2 pt win against Kansas the first game of the season? A 5 pt win against FSU at home when we were favored by 8? Or a 12 pt win against barely-in-the-top 25 MSU? Lets face it, our bad losses are a lot worse than our best wins.

Our resume is very similar to '17-18. A win the first week of the season against the #2. No real great wins aside from a 10 pt win against UNC. And a handful of headscratchers (@ BC, @NCSU, @SJU, @ VT). And even that team was one bounce away from a Final Four.

I think its too early to jump ship on this team. We have the two most important pieces. A savvy PG and a center who eats up space and gets easy points.
The 12 point win at MSU was really a 25 point win, we dominated the 2nd half, but yes the final score doesn't truly reflect that. Weren't we up 30 at some point?? I know MSU was going through a lot of turmoil at that time, but still, this young Duke team put the smack down on them.

The Kansas win looks great on paper, but I don't think we can beat them again to be honest. When we played them, Kansas played the 2 bigs most of the game together (Azubuike and McCormick) they were super easy to defend. Well...turns out Bill Self isn't that much of an idiot. McCormick now rides the bench and they put 4 guards/wings around Azubuike, that would probably crush us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT