ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS SYRACUSE OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Jay B just said he lost his redshirt

It doesn't mean he's right. I don't mean that as a jab, just that he may not know the rule well. I always thought he could play in 4 games.

I don't think Joey playing has anything to do with Zion...or not much...Zion will be back fairly soon. I think K decided that this team is going to need some more shooters going forward, and Joey can shoot.

OFC
But is Joey really THAT much of a better 3pt shooter than AOC? And I doubt we ever see AOC and Joey in a game at the same time this year.. seems like K could have just gave AOC a few more minutes a game and accomplished the same thing as playing Joey this late in the year.

It doesn't mean he's right. I don't mean that as a jab, just that he may not know the rule well. I always thought he could play in 4 games.

Seems like I heard that same thing???
I know they were saying that in football this past season

just a little googling
For an athlete to receive a standard redshirt, the NCAA requires that player not be involved in any competition for the year he is redshirted. Any amount of competition time, even 1 minute on a basketball court during a regular season game, for example, counts as a season of eligibility.

Redshirt rules.
Redshirt Definition

1. According to the NCAA, the term "redshirt" means an athlete is not participating in competition for an entire academic year, but wishes to retain a year of eligibility for competition.

A qualifying NCAA athlete who has met all academic requirements prior to entering college for her freshman year has four years of eligibility for competition, regardless of what academic year she may be a part of during competition.

For example, should an athlete redshirt her freshman year, she would have four years of competition eligibility from her sophomore year on. This particular athlete may be a sophomore academically, but for competition purposes will be referred to as a "redshirt freshman."
Redshirt Rules

1. For an athlete to receive a standard redshirt, the NCAA requires that player not be involved in any competition for the year he is redshirted. Any amount of competition time, even 1 minute on a basketball court during a regular season game, for example, counts as a season of eligibility.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Jay B just said he lost his redshirt
In the current college basketball landscape does it really matter? A couple good years and he may declare for the draft. If this kid can help us in March let him play

No, Bilas is right. You play one second, redshirt possibility over. Now a medical could happen, but we don’t want to talk about that.

Reactions: PixelDevil
Both AOC and Baker may be good shooters but we know Alex struggles defensively. I’m happy that Baker didn’t look overwhelmed in his first minutes in front of 30k fans ...I like what I see so far.

Reactions: springsportster
But is Joey really THAT much of a better 3pt shooter than AOC? And I doubt we ever see AOC and Joey in a game at the same time this year.. seems like K could have just gave AOC a few more minutes a game and accomplished the same thing as playing Joey this late in the year.

I'm not saying he's better than Alex, but he's another 'gun' that can be used. And K certainly must think he can help Duke, or he wouldn't have played him.

OFC

Is that rule of no minutes specific to basketball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT