ADVERTISEMENT

NBA draft

ConorONeill

Cameron Crazy
Staff
Aug 13, 2021
I wasn't going to do much with the draft but since it's been discussed ad nauseam over the last 14-16 hours ...

Those personal problems with Kyle Filipowski that were mentioned during the season (can't remember which thread) are out there, now. His fiancé is significantly older -- I think 27 -- and is the main factor behind Filipowski having zero relationship with his family, including his twin brother. Just a strange situation. I'm not here to judge the kid for his relationship with his family and/or the company that he keeps, just trying to shed light on the situation I alluded to during the season.

Tend to think it's a stretch to latch onto that as the biggest reason he fell out of the first round. He's a 6-11 tweener, as we've discussed here before. The NBA isn't sold enough on him as a stretch-4 because he can't defend the perimeter, and he's not tough or strong enough inside to play the 5.

When you have those things working against you *and* add in whatever character concerns exist, the reasons for teams to stay away from spending a first-round pick start to add up.

Anyway ... Jared McCain drafted 16th overall last night, here was the quick story I did. Flip is sure to be drafted early when the draft resumes and I'll have a story on that, too.

Elsewhere with former Blue Devils: Wendell Moore Jr. was traded to Detroit (from Minnesota) and A.J. Griffin was traded to Houston (from Atlanta) today.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News